Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Antelope Audio introduces Discrete 4 Synergy Core - DSP & FPGA Audio Interface (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1268665-antelope-audio-introduces-discrete-4-synergy-core-dsp-amp-fpga-audio-interface.html)

Antelope Audio 13th June 2019 09:20 AM

Antelope Audio introduces Discrete 4 Synergy Core - DSP & FPGA Audio Interface

A hot-rodded upgrade to Antelope's popular Discrete 4 audio interface, the Discrete 4 Synergy Core gives you dual DSP chips plus an FPGA processor working in harmony to run Antelope's expansive library of effects, as well as 3rd-party effects joining the Synergy Core platform. The Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core interface offers 4 console-grade discrete mic preamps, 14 total inputs and 16 outputs, renowned Antelope digital clocking, and both Thunderbolt and USB connectivity for your Mac or PC. Best of all, the Discrete 4 Synergy Core comes with $3,000+ (worth) of Antelope's top effects plug-ins included free, so you can record, monitor, mix, and master your projects with world-class sound from start to finish.

https://i.ibb.co/mhGwy7Y/publicpreview-1.png

Key Features:
  • Synergy Core - New Milestone Technology & Future-proof FX processing platform
  • Best-in-class AD/DA conversion with 121 dB dynamic range
  • 36 Synergy Core effects plug-ins included -- a $3,000+ value
  • Sub-millisecond round-trip latency
  • Antelope clocking technology on board with Word Clock output to keep your studio in sync
  • Desktop USB/Thunderbolt audio interface with 4 console-grade mic preamps
  • 4 XLR-1/4" combi inputs for mic/line/instrument sources
  • L/R Monitor TRS 1/4" line outputs plus 4 TRS 1/4" line outs
  • Expandable via S/PDIF and ADAT
  • 35 effects expansions available separately, including AFX2DAW Bridge
  • All effects can be automated in DAW without CPU load, thanks to AFX2DAW Bridge (Mac only)
  • Hand-built in a road-worthy metal case

Synergy Core Processing: Future-Proof Your DAW

Under the hood, the Discrete 4 Synergy Core is loaded with twin DSP chips plus an FPGA processor that work together to run Antelope Audio's vast collection of vintage-inspired effects plug-ins -- without sapping power from your host Mac or PC. Synergy Core increases your recording rig's stability by offloading audio effects processing to your Discrete interface's dedicated chips. Adding the Discrete 4 Synergy Core to your system means your DAW can make more efficient use of available CPU power - extending the life cycle of your existing Mac or PC, so you don't have to upgrade to a latest-spec computer just to run all your favorite plug-ins. With Antelope effects running on Antelope hardware, your system is optimized right out of the box - allowing you to shorten your audio buffer size, reduce latency, eliminate clicks and pops, and free up your host computer to run CPU-heavy VST synths, samplers, and native time-based effects.

1 FPGA + 2 DSP = More Effects, More Variety

Antelope Audio's industry-leading FPGA audio processing platform gives you lower latency in effects chains, allowing you to stack effects while adding mere microseconds, not milliseconds, to your signal. The Discrete 4 Synergy Core fuses both FPGA + DSP chips in one Antelope audio interface, harnessing the parallel processing power of FPGA alongside the latest-generation state-of-the-art ARM DSP chips developed for cloud computing and mobile tech - processors that deliver a faster clock rate than other DSP chips used in the audio interface market. This exclusive hybrid architecture offers computing power synergies unique to Antelope Audio, greatly expanding the variety of Antelope effects that can be developed -- including time-based delays, choruses, flangers, and beyond. Your Discrete 4 Synergy Core arrives loaded with 36 Antelope FX included free - classic compressors, studio EQs, must-have reverbs, tube guitar amp models based on iconic vintage gear - and all the processing power you need to run them!

Uncompromising Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analog Conversion Quality

A-to-D and D-to-A converters are at the heart of every DAW-based audio recording and playback system - and your converters can make or break your studio. That's why the Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core is loaded with proven, best-in-class AD/DA with 121 dB of dynamic range on the analog inputs and monitor outputs - so you can capture and monitor your sound with Antelope clarity at up to 192 kHz/24-bit resolution.

Comprehensive I/O in a Portable Desktop Audio Interface

The Discrete 4 Synergy Core offers all the same I/O as Antelope's hit original Discrete 4 interface. With both USB and Thunderbolt I/O, the Discrete 4 Synergy Core lets you choose how you want to connect to your Mac or Windows PC. On the front panel, you'll find two XLR-1/4" combi inputs with switchable mic/line/instrument preamps, and four independent headphone outputs - enough for you and all the artists you're recording. Take a look at the back panel, and you'll see two more XLR-1/4" combi inputs, two 1/4" outputs to feed your monitors plus 4 more line outs to connect to outboard gear, ADAT and S/PDIF digital I/O via optical TOSlink, and two Word Clock outputs to get your studio in sync with Antelope's legendary digital clocking. Hand-built by Antelope engineers to give you extensive analog and digital I/O in a robust, compact unit, the Discrete 4 Synergy Core gives you serious bang for your I/O buck.

----------
Discrete 4 Synergy Core is now being supplied to our dealer's network — keep an eye at Antelope Audio’s growing global network of authorised dealers (https://en.antelopeaudio.com/dealers/) for pre-order information. For more information, reach out to your dealer or to us directly at Antelope Audio | Digital clarity | Analog warmth[/QUOTE]

subframe 14th June 2019 05:16 PM

Can this be daisy-chained through another Thunderbolt device then to the computer?

imaginaryday 14th June 2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antelope Audio (Post 14036499)
FPGA processor working in harmony to run Antelope's expansive library of effects, as well as 3rd-party effects joining the Synergy Core platform

who are these 3rd-party effects companies?

Realtugs 15th June 2019 12:45 AM

How many effects can be run simultaneously? On ANY of your interfaces... DSP/FPGA... your manuals never show anything.

Succulence 15th June 2019 09:47 PM

I'm very interested in this interface as I'm hoping in solves some of the problems with routing plugins via the FPGA.

Question: Which 36 plugins are included with the Synergy? Which DSP chip is used and is it the same (outdated) chip used in the Apollo interfaces?

Comment/Question: Why is it so difficult to find out specific plugin information generally for your interfaces? For example, the plugins which are compatible with each of your interfaces has a single webpage, but which plugins are compatible for each interface isn't listed on the actual product pages for each individual interface. Why not list the plugins available/compatible for each interface on their respective product pages?

CoreRec 15th June 2019 09:55 PM

Reading the initial post it says ARM based. What makes you suspect it's SHARC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Succulence (Post 14041625)
I'm very interested in this interface as I'm hoping in solves some of the problems with routing plugins via the FPGA.

Question: Which 36 plugins are included with the Synergy? Which DSP chip is used and is it the same (outdated) chip used in the Apollo interfaces?

Comment/Question: Why is it so difficult to find out specific plugin information generally for your interfaces? For example, the plugins which are compatible with each of your interfaces has a single webpage, but which plugins are compatible for each interface isn't listed on the actual product pages for each individual interface. Why not list the plugins available/compatible for each interface on their respective product pages?

imaginaryday 15th June 2019 10:23 PM

Looks like Discrete 8 is also coming out.

https://c1.zzounds.com/media/product...7dd9c0442.jpeg

https://c1.zzounds.com/media/product...7e4f8c4e8.jpeg

dbjp 16th June 2019 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Saw this on my local dealer site:

Realtugs 16th June 2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryday (Post 14041670)
Looks like Discrete 8 is also coming out.

Is that not already out?

This company is so confusing! They seem to have many (potentially) great products, but can't make ONE of them a classic, before moving onto the next one. Even their "Atomic" clocks are starting to fail now... not much of a half-life.

Deleted bc6012f 16th June 2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realtugs (Post 14040315)
How many effects can be run simultaneously? On ANY of your interfaces... DSP/FPGA... your manuals never show anything.

I always wondered that.

My guess is that this is not some kind of error or omission from their side. Why? Because this is not their first interface and your question is not that first time someone is asking them " how come there is no DSP chart" ?

I mean they are selling interface which main feature is DSP plugin processing yet for some odd reason they are forgetting to add actual values on their website and manual.

I guess there is a reason why they never tell you how much exactly you can run on these "groundbreaking" devices.

And fear not - i suspect someone from Antelope will jump here and tell us (with some excuse) some values but at the same time this info won't be revealed on their website for some time.

This is really getting stupid.

qthegaijin 16th June 2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmein (Post 14042678)
I always wondered that.

My guess is that this is not some kind of error or omission from their side. Why? Because this is not their first interface and your question is not that first time someone is asking them " how come there is no DSP chart" ?

I mean they are selling interface which main feature is DSP plugin processing yet for some odd reason they are forgetting to add actual values on their website and manual.

I guess there is a reason why they never tell you how much exactly you can run on these "groundbreaking" devices.

And fear not - i suspect someone from Antelope will jump here and tell us (with some excuse) some values but at the same time this info won't be revealed on their website for some time.

This is really getting stupid.

Ask and ye shall receive, going to crowd source instance counts too:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...CXDuy5cQ#gid=0

solveforq 16th June 2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qthegaijin (Post 14042890)

Thanks, Q!

Looks like they're including less of the interesting stuff from the first gen. I guess giving away the whole library as an incentive to buy their hardware didn't pan out so well?

It's gotta be an expensive game to develop a whole platform.

Lyubomir 17th June 2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Hello Succulence,

The FX pages will be displayed per product. Thanks for your valuable feedback!

We already started doing that with the Orion32+ | Gen 3:
https://en.antelopeaudio.com/product...eatured-fx/#fx
and with the Orion 32HD | Gen 3:

With the new Discrete 4 and Discrete 8 Synergy Core, it will be the same approach, so all will be aware which FX are included in the initial offering and which - are an upgrade.

Lyubomir 17th June 2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryday (Post 14040163)
who are these 3rd-party effects companies?

Hello Imaginaryday,

We will announce those in the next couple of weeks.
It's exciting times for us.

Thanks for the question!

Jeezo 17th June 2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyubomir (Post 14043835)
Hello Succulence,

The FX pages will be displayed per product. Thanks for your valuable feedback!

We already started doing that with the Orion32+ | Gen 3:
and with the Orion 32HD | Gen 3:

With the new Discrete 4 and Discrete 8 Synergy Core, it will be the same approach, so all will be aware which FX are included in the initial offering and which - are an upgrade.

You guyz need to simplify things , minimise offers , and to allow people to have top config with any interface ...

Is overloud the only plugin maker of those ?

The synergy 4 looks great ...and usb or thunderbolt option is exellent ...

Lyubomir 17th June 2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeezo (Post 14043921)
You guyz need to simplify things , minimise offers , and to allow people to have top config with any interface

Hello Jeezo,

Thanks for the feedback.
We agree completely and are working in that direction.

Quote:

Is overloud the only plugin maker of those ?

Way more!

Quote:

Thanks again.
That means a lot for us!

Sofort 17th June 2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Only if USB is on par with Thunderbolt but it's not the case. Other (famous german) brand do it so it's possible.

Jeezo 17th June 2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofort (Post 14044378)
Only if USB is on par with Thunderbolt but it's not the case. Other (famous german) brand do it so it's possible.

Latency or dsp capability wise ?

Jeezo 17th June 2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyubomir (Post 14044089)
Hello Jeezo,

Thanks for the feedback.
We agree completely and are working in that direction.

Way more!

Thanks again.
That means a lot for us!

Well we have your stuff at Abbey road Paris , would love to try this synergy as an alternative to UAD (witch we also have)

If you guyz can , i would be pleased to test one !!

For the sound , i m confident , same for clock ... , just want to know how solid this thing is and what it can handle , and of course would love to give those fx a full spin !!

Sam Antelope Audio 17th June 2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeezo (Post 14044506)
Well we have your stuff at Abbey road Paris , would love to try this synergy as an alternative to UAD (witch we also have)

If you guyz can , i would be pleased to test one !!

For the sound , i m confident , same for clock ... , just want how solid this thing is and whatvit can handle , and of course would love to give those fx a full spin !!

Hi!

Please send me a private message.

Sofort 18th June 2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeezo (Post 14044500)
Latency or dsp capability wise ?

Latency.

electro 18th June 2019 03:15 PM

Minimum RTL numbers? Thunderbolt RTL comparison to Presonus Quantum2 line?

darkswan 19th June 2019 10:05 PM

Antelope is offering a new Discrete without delivering its product promises from last years model.

Antelope sold upgrade packages for AFX2DAW that was promised for Windows and Mac. Over a year later and promises of AFX2DAW for Windows using the Discrete have not materialized.

So whats the word Antelope? Are you still planning to deliver AFX2DAW for Windows users who paid an extra $400 or more for this feature that you have not delivered?

Realtugs 20th June 2019 05:47 AM

Good job, Mods. Nice clean-up of any critique against this company... bravo!

I personally believe if people have spent up to 4k on one box from a company, and have had nothing but problems, in both software and hardware... and received unfulfilled promises of future features... those people should have a right (and duty) to warn others, as the company fishes for new customers with shiney new toys. I'd be disappointed if fellow sluts didnt warn others. Surely their money spent for misery should at least buy them that right?

I would still LOVE to see plug-in counts for this box... and all others by Antelope.

Deleted bc6012f 20th June 2019 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qthegaijin (Post 14042890)

Wait what?!?!? I just checked that DOC. Am i missing something.

Is that their official document? Because it's missing more then half values, i mean like almost it's useless there is no DSP chart?

There is only one device covered. And there is zero technical description. What sample rate is being used for that device? Buffer size? This document can't be their official DSP chart?

wtf?

Sam Antelope Audio 20th June 2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswan (Post 14049062)
Antelope is offering a new Discrete without delivering its product promises from last years model.

Antelope sold upgrade packages for AFX2DAW that was promised for Windows and Mac. Over a year later and promises of AFX2DAW for Windows using the Discrete have not materialized.

So whats the word Antelope? Are you still planning to deliver AFX2DAW for Windows users who paid an extra $400 or more for this feature that you have not delivered?

Hi!

When AFX2DAW was announced and teased, it wasn't advertised as compatible with any setup, meaning that we didn't promise compatibility with USB for example or a specific OS. I want to note here that when we released AFX2DAW, we specified that it is for MAC OS only, since the Windows Thunderbolt driver that was needed as a base for AFX2DAW was still in beta. Development for such a driver from nothing takes time and a lot of testing, we took our time in order to make it as good as possible and it came out as the 3rd fastest audio driver ever (the first two are for PCI devices). Development for AFX2DAW on Windows takes more time and we are sorry about that, we just want to take our time when delivering such a feature, since rushing into releases of such software - isn't the best option. If you have purchased AFX2DAW and you are a Windows based user and got it, because you expected it to run on Windows - we will be glad to refund you and make things right.

Please feel free to message me directly.

qthegaijin 20th June 2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmein (Post 14049676)
Wait what?!?!? I just checked that DOC. Am i missing something.

Is that their official document? Because it's missing more then half values, i mean like almost it's useless there is no DSP chart?

There is only one device covered. And there is zero technical description. What sample rate is being used for that device? Buffer size? This document can't be their official DSP chart?

wtf?

....nowhere does it say official...

Is a user made one since antelope didn't do one themselves. Also, those instance counts don't rely on buffer/etc because its all done on the hardware outside of the software buffer.

The instance counts are what the control panel shows is available. What Antelope fails at explaining, is what specific FX work on which part of the FPGA.

For example, if I load up 15 instances of one of the vintage compressors like the Liverpool, I am left with only 1 mono instance left on that part of the FPGA. BUT, if its a VCA160 or a X903, I still have another 16 mono instances available to use.

Unlike UAD and others which just take over whichever processor is available, antelopes has dedicated sections of the FPGA for the specific plugins. You aren't able to load up only instances of a 670 compressor and have it use ALL of the fpga, just not designed that way.

NOW, why I think antelope are adding the ARM chips, is because currently offline rendering does not work with the way the FPGA is implemented. The FPGA treats the audio in the analog realm, not in the digital realm (correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure thats how it works) With many users workflow relying on offline rendering, to make the AFX2DAW a viable/competitive option compared to competitors which already allow offline rendering.

I would love to hear what Sam Antelope Audio's thoughts on this. Again, take this with a grain of salt since I don't work for Antelope (Although I wouldn't mind if they need someone to do this kind of tech explaining so they can actually get more customers, Sam, you got any open spots over there??).

The doc isn't supposed to be definitive of anything, just a quick reference to see what it is available with what. It is definitely a work in progress since I am asking users who have those interfaces to list their numbers...really something Antelope themselves should take the 30 minutes to do and add to their support page. kfhkh