Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   iZotope Introduces Neutron 3 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1267776-izotope-introduces-neutron-3-a.html)

The Press Desk 6th June 2019 05:05 PM

iZotope Introduces Neutron 3

1 Attachment(s)

iZotope Introduces Neutron 3

Bring your mixing workflow into the 21st century. Mix with unrivalled quality and speed using eight modular mixing tools and all-new innovative features:
  • Mix Assistant: Balances track levels in minutes for an initial level mix
  • Sculptor: Sweeten, correct, or design instruments with iZotope spectral shaping technology
  • Improved Masking Meter: Find and fix competing mix elements in a convenient one-window display
  • Performance Improvements: Faster, smoother, and more responsive in every way

Learn more about Neutron 3: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix/neutron.html

illsoulprod 6th June 2019 05:11 PM

Just watched the videos and just wow...

matiascova 6th June 2019 05:24 PM

I wonder if the reverb has been updated using technology from the reverb company they recently acquired.

4fmb 6th June 2019 05:43 PM

Great rundown, thanks!

iZotope plug-ins are not on every mix for me (well, Insight is...and RX7 is how I Denoise and do other repair...), but when I feel what's needed is to pull something in from the iZotope stable, they end up staying much more often than not. I've used Neutron 2 ADV in conjunction with Tonal Balance Control or full Ozone 8 ADV and been very happy with the combo.

But now...to upgrade? Your review was very helpful. It adds up $$ with the rotating update cycles of all their product I own (not to mention others!), but each of us must decide if it's of sufficient value. In the end, since I own Post Production Suite 3, I am able to do so for a very reasonable price, less an additional $10 when purchasing from a 3rd party plug-in site. So...bought!

Squeegee 303 6th June 2019 05:54 PM

I own Neutron 2. I think I already have Neutron 3’s Sculptor feature covered by Gulfoss, Sonible SmartEQ, Zynaptiq Intensity, and Auburn Sounds Couture (not saying I have to use each of those on every track). Also, the fun of mixing is getting the sound where you want it—Sculptor seems to basically mix for you (the result in the video does sound good, though). I could see the Sculptor feature being useful for some scenarios.

Diogo C 6th June 2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matiascova (Post 14023114)
I wonder if the reverb has been updated using technology from the reverb company they recently acquired.

Neutron never had reverb. I suspect you're thinking of Nectar.

atmos 6th June 2019 07:05 PM

This looks really cool, the mix assistant to get a rough idea of balance sounds like a major time saver / AI second pair of ears. Will try the demo out soon.

Arionas 6th June 2019 08:18 PM

Upgrade from "Neutron 2 Advanced" to "Neutron 3 Advanced" $149, while upgrade from "Neutron 2 Standard" to "Neutron 3 Advanced" $199, doesn't sound right for me.
Other than that, the new features seem very interesting.

matiascova 6th June 2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo C (Post 14023234)
Neutron never had reverb. I suspect you're thinking of Nectar.

oh yes, I was thinking of nectar, thanks.

ardis 6th June 2019 08:28 PM

i love smart plug ins. Does this do what Gullfoss does? I also have Elevate and Elements. Not a big fan of track assistant but the sculpting tool sounds pretty cool....

DotRob 6th June 2019 08:42 PM

Maybe I'm too old for this kind of assistent software. But this looks a lot like 'Painting by numbers' or Riding you bike with training wheels.

Why should I even make music, when it's not about _my_ feelings, and _my_ ideas, but the feelings and ideas of a machine. :facepalm:

wesleyamltd 6th June 2019 08:46 PM

Too soon

They just came out with Neutron 2 not too long ago. Most of this seems like an update rather than an upgrade. The price for the upgrade from Neutron 2 ADV is not good enough considering the gap of time between Neutron 1 and 2. I’m willing to bet they will be releasing a new version of Ozone too. I think a reasonable upgrade cost would be 99.00. Izotope, you’re killing me.

elcct 6th June 2019 08:47 PM

I got O2N2 and used it twice to see how this could help me, but by the time this is all wired up in Ableton I'd have rought mix ready. I also couldn't trust the quality of the included EQs and other processors.
Out of the all suite of tools I ended up using only the Tonal Balance Control and Neutron's gate.
Watching the Neutron 3 I think it takes away all the fun and also it is still boring to wire up.
Could be good to help in the beginnings to learn what decisions to make with "normal" plugins though, but then you have plenty of tutorials everywhere.

Harry_O 6th June 2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fmb (Post 14023151)
Great rundown, thanks!

iZotope plug-ins are not on every mix for me (well, Insight is...and RX7 is how I Denoise and do other repair...), but when I feel what's needed is to pull something in from the iZotope stable, they end up staying much more often than not. I've used Neutron 2 ADV in conjunction with Tonal Balance Control or full Ozone 8 ADV and been very happy with the combo.

But now...to upgrade? Your review was very helpful. It adds up $$ with the rotating update cycles of all their product I own (not to mention others!), but each of us must decide if it's of sufficient value. In the end, since I own Post Production Suite 3, I am able to do so for a very reasonable price, less an additional $10 when purchasing from a 3rd party plug-in site. So...bought!

Can you give your feedback here, once you have tested all the Suite elements, incl. Neutron 3, Insight 2, Nectar 3.

sirthought 6th June 2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesleyamltd (Post 14023558)
They just came out with Neutron 2 not too long ago. Most of this seems like an update rather than an upgrade. The price for the upgrade from Neutron 2 ADV is not good enough considering the gap of time between Neutron 1 and 2. I’m willing to bet they will be releasing a new version of Ozone too. I think a reasonable upgrade cost would be 99.00. Izotope, you’re killing me.

I just logged into my account and found an option to get it for $99 but that's upgrading the whole production suite...which the only thing new is Neutron 3 advanced.

sirthought 6th June 2019 10:35 PM

So if you have Neutron 2 the biggest changes you are supporting is Sculptor, which really, if you were doing track assistant in the past, should have been offering suggestions on a mix of compression and EQ to shape a source already. The examples on their website for this feature seem to suck the life out of the before tracks. Maybe the after tracks are cleaner, but they seem overly polished to the point of less excitement....on those examples to me.

The mix assistant is interesting and the thing that I think a lot of people are curious about with this company. But it might be something you mess with to see what the results are and then proceed to mix yourself to see if you'd get a similar or better result. You still end up mixing, and that's why you want to work on audio production.

I do think the Total Balance feature in Neutron 2 is quite helpful if you want to go there and actually work with it. I think a lot of older guys don't but it can really be useful.

The rest is just stuff that probably should have been done in the first place. Better CPU. Faster loading. Resizing windows. You want us to pay a big upgrade for bug fixes basically. I don't have mixes with hundreds of instances, so you mileage may vary on how big of a deal this stuff is to you.

Neutron offers a lot for someone just looking into this sort of stuff and I'd never say it isn't worthy of consideration. But people like to try things like sends and effects from different developers, and Neutron tends to work best if you are mostly using it alone. Could actually be more economical in the long run but not very fun.

4fmb 6th June 2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry_O (Post 14023599)
Can you give your feedback here, once you have tested all the Suite elements, incl. Neutron 3, Insight 2, Nectar 3.

I might have time this weekend to play around with it some.

I did that particular upgrade, btw, because it was less expensive that only upgrading Neutron ADV. Insight 2 I already owned, and I haven't really gotten into Nectar. It may be great, I just never got into using it, given I had other options for everything it did that I liked better (at version 1 at least, anyway).

screentan 7th June 2019 01:34 AM

Spooky. Only last night I was thinking that Neutron 3 would probably appear soon and I've barely touched v2. Mainly as I spend 90% of my time writing, arranging and producing and only 10% mixing and mastering.

AI marches on. In 2119 Spotify or whatever it is then will probably create tracks you love on the fly for you to listen to.

SleepCircle 7th June 2019 04:47 AM

this isn't really AI
this is a very simple 'neural network' which is ultimately, at this level, a different way of processing statistics.

bgrotto 7th June 2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DotRob (Post 14023548)
Maybe I'm too old for this kind of assistent software. But this looks a lot like 'Painting by numbers' or Riding you bike with training wheels.

I wanna chime in to address this, because I think it's a fair point based on the marketing that izotope does, but is actually erroneous (through no fault of the consumer, since again, izotope markets Neutron as a 'mix assistant').

While there is certainly a mix assistant feature within the plugin, that's easily the least useful and least impressive part. I've been working with N3 for many months now and while I didn't touch the mix assistant save for a few requested beta testing tasks, I absolutely fell in love the it as a one-stop-shop channel strip. The EQ's usability rivals Fab Filter (which I had considered far and away the best UI before beginning testing on N3), and I swear, it even sounds better than Fab Filter (cue the plugin doctor people to prove me wrong, but hey, i get better results faster...maybe it's an interface thing, but my ears like where i end up), the compressor sounds great, the transient processing sounds great, and the addition of the distortion module is a nice touch.

But -- and this is gonna sound funny, but bear with me -- the real show-stopper in N3 is the gate. Holy cow, it's freaking awesome. Full, multi band functionality, every parameter represented per-band (attack, hold, release, ratio, and even hysterisis, PER BAND!!!), and any band can be individually keyed from its own range, the full incoming range, any other band's range, or an external key signal. Plus, you can filter that sidechain. It's completely insane what you can do with this thing to shape drums and percussion, clean up uniquely difficult spill (like live stage leakage, or particularly egregious cymbal bleed). Combined with the excellent routing flexibility and sound quality throughout N3, and this is one helluva channel strip.

You may never use the 'assisted mix' features, but you'd be selling the plug way, way short by not primarily considering it as a powerhouse all-in-one channel strip.

screentan 7th June 2019 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepCircle (Post 14024249)
this isn't really AI
this is a very simple 'neural network' which is ultimately, at this level, a different way of processing statistics.

True. Just future projecting to a time when actual AI has had it's teeth into music for some time.

Eric Stravinsky 7th June 2019 06:06 AM

Anyone compared the sculptor function to gullfoss?

SleepCircle 7th June 2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screentan (Post 14024298)
True. Just future projecting to a time when actual AI has had it's teeth into music for some time.

that time will probably never exist completely as you imagine it.

wesleyamltd 7th June 2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirthought (Post 14023617)
I just logged into my account and found an option to get it for $99 but that's upgrading the whole production suite...which the only thing new is Neutron 3 advanced.

I do not own the production suite but I own nearly everything in it. I have no option for a 99.00 upgrade. :facepalm:

sirthought 7th June 2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesleyamltd (Post 14024371)
I do not own the production suite but I own nearly everything in it. I have no option for a 99.00 upgrade. :facepalm:

They have a ton of offers in there that don't even make sense based on stuff I already own. Check in there again to see if you can get a crossgrade/upgrade to Music Production Suite. Perhaps the cost will be similar to getting Neutron 3 and you'll be fully covered.

I have to say, I was attracted to try iZotope for Ozone and Neutron, but RX7 and Nectar have really been the ones that surprise me how often I use them. I have yet to try VocalSynth. Really good developer, just expensive with the upgrades every year.

SLiC 7th June 2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesleyamltd (Post 14024371)

Jam in the same boat as I recently upgraded the vocal bundle and had production bundle or whatever they called it! I wonder if it’s worth emailing them and asking them for a special 2.1 upgrade price, the only thing I don’t have is RX.

soulata 7th June 2019 09:03 AM

Their upgrade system is either broken or stupid.

Well, it was smart to rename Music Production Bundle to Music Production Suite (nov 2.1) to make it seem worth more (and charge more from it). Music Production Suite 2.1 upgrade from Music Production Bundle is 299$ (promo until June 30).

I guess I'll wait 'till Nectar/Netron 5, Ozone 12 and RX 10 to upgrade.*

Their plugins are fine/great, upgrade pricing is just weird.

Tonal Balance is the only product of theirs I don't want to be without, though.

k

*Yes, I don't have to, nobody's forcing me.

random musican 7th June 2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14024292)
While there is certainly a mix assistant feature within the plugin, that's easily the least useful and least impressive part. [...]
You may never use the 'assisted mix' features, but you'd be selling the plug way, way short by not primarily considering it as a powerhouse all-in-one channel strip.

+1
Neutron is a great channel strip, and from mixing plugins probably the one I'm using the most. Forget mix assistant, just the raw processing power of the thing is what one should look at. True, there are many other channel strips, but no other seems as convenient and versatile as Neutron. It's still not perfect (EQ does not have M/S, gate does not have lookahead, transient shaper does not have side-chain, and strangely I over-compress way too often, what does not happen with othe plugins), but for me it became probably the most useful plugin.

And then, once in a blue moon the masking meter or EQ learn can be useful. For me it happens for example when I'm stuck with some weird synth sound that is fooling my ears. As for mix assistant I have yet to check – with Neutron 2 I never used it beyond demoing, completly useless (in contrast with Ozone assistant which can set up dynamic eq really nicely).

The one thing I like about Neutron the most is that I can just pick Neutron without thinking, and with it I can solve most problems. Later it often happens that I will replace parts of the processing with more specialized or colored plugins, but those type of decisions can be delayed to the point of the mix when other tracks issues don't distract me. Perhaps with experience I will know straight off what each track needs, but for now at least I'm glad that I don't feel that much need to solo (or mute) anymore.

chupacabras 7th June 2019 09:45 AM

played with the demo briefly last night. I'm not too keen on the sculptor thing although i'm sure it would be useful but I reset a mix i was working on and used the mix assistant and was astonished with how close the balances were to what I'd been working on. It even solved a few balancing issues with elements i was uhmming and aahing about. In particulary it really found a nice pocket for the vocal to sit without overwhelming or being overwhelmed by the rest of the arrangement. There were a couple off odd decisions made with a few bits of supplementary percussion but I wouldn't hesistate to use it to throw up a quick balance to work from.

my main gripe was I felt like there could be an ability to select a "secondary focus" when setting up the mix assistant to create a more complex hierarchy for the processing to work from as i really wanted the kick and snare to come forward but when I chose them as "focus" instruments alongside the lead vocal tracks they jumped out of the mix, just as i wanted them but as a result the vocals were buried.

I think people who think this is going to fully mix their track without having to lean on their own taste and ability will be a bit disappointed but in terms of workflow and having a solid balance to work from with all faders at unity gain it's a great tool (i'm not too fussed about the CS aspect of it so i wish it was a lot cheaper but hey)

now i have to decide whether I continue to work from my original mix or go with my little AI chum on this one. gooof

rojhmusic 7th June 2019 11:48 AM

Tried this a while ago. In a busy mix of 100+ tracks it cant be used. This is still a CPU Hog plugin. The way they advertise it is to use it in every track with panning and level on the plugin itself. How? Its so CPU intensive and you cant use it on maybe 20 plus tracks how much a 100. Uninstalled the demo.

On a positive note, this is a lot better than Neutron 2. But theres still a lot more to improve.