Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Neumann KM84 - pair for $1950. A fair deal? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/126596-neumann-km84-pair-1950-fair-deal.html)

kissingonstilts 31st May 2007 03:50 AM

Neumann KM84 - pair for $1950. A fair deal?
 
I noticed a pair of KM84s, recently serviced by Korby, for sale on the Odyssey Pro Sound website. At $1950, does that seem in the ballpark? I was thinking it might be. Any perspectives?

niteflite 31st May 2007 04:07 AM

I just paid $775 yesterday.

I typically see 'em for about $850....I think a recent
ebay sale went as high as $925 or so for one.

Seems like you're in the 'range' ;)

Good luck!

jeff

kissingonstilts 31st May 2007 04:23 AM

Thank you for your recent experiences. It does seem in the ballpark, especially since they were recently serviced by Korby Audio and that they're a pair. Any other perspectives?

wilkinswp 31st May 2007 05:20 AM

I bought a pair several months ago. The ones you're thinking about purchasing are "in the ballpark."

phaqu 31st May 2007 05:38 AM

I seen a single go for $660 not too long ago. I paid $525 and $700 for mine.

drBill 31st May 2007 06:49 AM

I'd say you're in the zone if you can get documentation or check with Korby for confirmation.

SergioS 2nd June 2007 07:09 PM

I've seen a pair going for 700 euros.

HudHudson 3rd June 2007 01:53 PM

I paid under $700 for each of the last three I bought on eBay over the past year (one of them needed a connector tweak and a replacement badge from Neumann, $85 cost). I think a grand a piece is a little rich FWIW unless they are very clean versions from the 70s. By going through a pro dealer like Odyssey, you are paying for the piece of mind that they are in good condition, but anything I've ever bought off ebay that was in need of repair (and was not sold "as is") got fixed at the seller's cost.

TanTan 3rd June 2007 02:28 PM

I've payed 630$ for a single one a week ago

kissingonstilts 3rd June 2007 09:14 PM

They're from the 60s; and just serviced by Korby.

phaqu 4th June 2007 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HudHudson (Post 1307841)
one of them needed a connector tweak

Was your XLR loose? Both of mine are. What exactly did they do?

Fletcher 4th June 2007 01:10 AM

$2,000 for a $1,200 pair of mics when the job can be covered with a $900- matched pair of Josephson C-42's? Sound good to me!!

Kris 4th June 2007 04:28 PM

Sure you could do the job with the Josephson c42s, but you'll enjoy it MUCH more with the 84s. You could also do the job with a pair of 57s...

warhead 4th June 2007 04:44 PM

Maybe now is the time for me to turn over my pair. At that sell price, that's real tempting! I like them a lot but man...

War

Plush 4th June 2007 05:59 PM

Last pair I bought new cost $325 each.

The recent price rise on KM84 is absurd.
The sellers are raping the customer.
The customer who likes to be raped or just does not know is buying.

Fletcher 4th June 2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris (Post 1309041)
Sure you could do the job with the Josephson c42s, but you'll enjoy it MUCH more with the 84s. You could also do the job with a pair of 57s...

Really? Have you A/B'ed the two? I have.

As for doing it with "57's"... yeah, it could be done but besides running about $9,000 for the 57's [UM-57's that is] they don't have anything remotely like the character of either the KM-84 or the C-42 while the character of the C-42 is exceptionally similar to that of the KM-84.

Call me crazy but I've found comparing apples to apples a whole lot more fruitful than comparing apples to apricots... as always, YMMV.

Petimar 4th June 2007 06:49 PM

FWIW, I recently sold a consecutive serial # pair of KM84s on Ebay for $1625.00. $1900.00 seems a bit high to me...

warhead 4th June 2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petimar (Post 1309298)
FWIW, I recently sold a consecutive serial # pair of KM84s on Ebay for $1625.00. $1900.00 seems a bit high to me...

Come on now...daddy needs a new pair of shoes! jkthtyrt

War

drBill 4th June 2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcher (Post 1308630)
$2,000 for a $1,200 pair of mics when the job can be covered with a $900- matched pair of Josephson C-42's? Sound good to me!!


In 3 years the josephson's will be worth....maybe 900, but most likely less. The KM84's will probably be fetching 2500 by then. The 84's are killer mics. If you can get a clean pair that's matched, it's worth a few hundred extra. (Easy for me to say, I already have a pair.) heh

Baz 4th June 2007 11:34 PM

This is a bit depressing. I have a KMi84 that I would REALLY like to pair up - not too concerned about a "matched" pair..The price for 84's is just silly, prolly partially thanks to Gearslutz.com hidz

drBill 5th June 2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz (Post 1309767)
This is a bit depressing. I have a KMi84 that I would REALLY like to pair up - not too concerned about a "matched" pair..The price for 84's is just silly, prolly partially thanks to Gearslutz.com hidz

Better pull the trigger quick. Or better yet, sell it to me for what Fletcher thinks they're worth and buy a pair of Josephsen's. heh

Kris 5th June 2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcher (Post 1309289)
Really? Have you A/B'ed the two? I have.

As for doing it with "57's"... yeah, it could be done but besides running about $9,000 for the 57's [UM-57's that is] they don't have anything remotely like the character of either the KM-84 or the C-42 while the character of the C-42 is exceptionally similar to that of the KM-84.

Call me crazy but I've found comparing apples to apples a whole lot more fruitful than comparing apples to apricots... as always, YMMV.

Yes, I actually even posted some clips up here a while back, and Mercenary even sent me the c42s to check out... for that I thank you! I think that is a kick ass thing to do... For sure, saved me some heartache... 'cause if I didn't have that opportunity I would have thought the c42s were just like 84s, due to 'internet rumour'...

the c42s were cool, and for sure worth half as much as 84s... but they sound very far from an 84 IMHO... of course YMMVhooppie

Fletcher 5th June 2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drBill (Post 1309616)
In 3 years the josephson's will be worth....maybe 900, but most likely less. The KM84's will probably be fetching 2500 by then.

Cool!!! You can tell the future!!! What's my house gonna be worth in 3 years?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris (Post 1310548)
the c42s were cool, and for sure worth half as much as 84s... but they sound very far from an 84 IMHO... of course YMMVhooppie

OK... maybe I ought to rephrase what I said... I use the C-42's in all of the same applications where I would use a KM-84 and have achieved results that I have found to be at least on par with the results I would have attained had I used a KM-84.

Fair enough?

Kris 5th June 2007 05:10 PM

Absolutely fair enough.howdy and I 'see' exactly what you mean... nice sdc they are... In my previously mentioned case, I was looking for a sweet matched pair of 84s and gave the c42s a shoot out (along with 184s)... there was no question for me.... no doubt if you are looking for a nice pair of sdcs, the c42s should definately be in the running.

drBill 6th June 2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcher (Post 1310734)
Cool!!! You can tell the future!!! What's my house gonna be worth in 3 years?

I can't tell the future, but I can tell you that housing in the US has gone up an average 3-4% every year across the board over the last 80 years, including the depression. So if you're in the US, and especially if you're in Boston (guessing here), I'd say you're looking at around a 20+% increase in 3 years. Crap, in LA during the doldrums last month my house went up $50k! Of course that means nothing unless I sell it. And like my KM84's, it probably won't go up for sale anytime soon. That's the thing I like about vintage mics and real estate - I get to use both of them while they increase in value. You can't go wrong there. Buy smart and you'll make money while you enjoy the use of some fine stuff.

Vintage mics just keep getting more vintage and pristine units will continue to maintain high prices until Antares (or who ever it is that makes that mic modeler software) figures out how to make a SM57 sound like a C12. heh