Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   The Moan Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/)
-   -   Accidentally dosed by LSD while repairing a Buchla (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/1265815-accidentally-dosed-lsd-while-repairing-buchla.html)

ibiking 22nd May 2019 11:42 AM

Accidentally dosed by LSD while repairing a Buchla
 


hooppie:synth:

chaocrator 22nd May 2019 11:49 AM

so, i begin suspecting something.
maybe it's the ultimate reason why vintage gear is so expensive?

CathodeRay 22nd May 2019 12:00 PM

Pretty far out! What i find interesting about the story is that the LSD retained its potency after so many decades.

Moonwhistle 22nd May 2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathodeRay (Post 13996167)
Pretty far out! What i find interesting about the story is that the LSD retained its potency after so many decades.

The stuff lasts forever if kept in the dark and dry.

Apparently there is still Owsley acid in Australia from some he made in the 80's. bumpkin

fiddlestickz 22nd May 2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonwhistle (Post 13996183)
The stuff lasts forever if kept in the dark and dry.

Apparently there is still Owsley acid in Australia from some he made in the 80's. bumpkin

He moved to Australia that's why.

fiddlestickz 22nd May 2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathodeRay (Post 13996167)
Pretty far out! What i find interesting about the story is that the LSD retained its potency after so many decades.

it breaks down very very quickly, it's an extremely volatile and fragile chemical once exposed to air, blotters go bad by the day, liquid will keep a while if cooled in the dark, anything else goes bad pretty quickly.

kwaping 22nd May 2019 02:47 PM

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...cidental-trip/

fiddlestickz 22nd May 2019 02:57 PM

this story is so bogus I can't believe anyone thinks it's true..

earwolf 22nd May 2019 03:28 PM


SteveElbows 22nd May 2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlestickz (Post 13996423)
this story is so bogus I can't believe anyone thinks it's true..

I havent taken the time to watch the video or read anything about it, but my first thought was that it was just someone trying to spin their own rubbish based on the legend of Buchla.

earwolf 22nd May 2019 03:44 PM

Its definitely true. I caught rabies from my rhythm wolf

7 Hz 23rd May 2019 01:28 AM

There is only one acid machine...

https://live.staticflickr.com/4095/4...d7cf9ba7_b.jpg

PuggaMahone 23rd May 2019 02:46 AM

So I'm passing through Arcata CA in the late '90s and this guy is like, "Hey man, do you have any acid?" And it calls to mind a long-forgotten memory, so I'm like, "You know, I think there's a 5-strip somewhere in my car, from like a year and a half ago. I don't know if it's still any good, but if I find it, I'll split it with you." So I went back to my car.

It was still good. It was blotter stored in tinfoil, wrapped up in something else and stuffed somewhere. It came into contact with nothing absorbent. It was subjected to no light at all, and very little airflow (package was probably jostled a bit and the vibrations from the car driving), but definitely to the summer heat and a chilly humid Seattle winter, with seemingly little loss in potency.

There are so many urban legends about acid, but it definitely CAN stay good for a long time, if stored properly, or even just mostly avoiding the usual weathering mechanisms.

I'd probably get a contact high just trying to figure out a Buchla system, but I don't think I'd be tripping...

jazzcabbage 23rd May 2019 03:33 AM

Now I want a Buchla

fiddlestickz 23rd May 2019 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuggaMahone (Post 13997654)
So I'm passing through Arcata CA in the late '90s and this guy is like, "Hey man, do you have any acid?" And it calls to mind a long-forgotten memory, so I'm like, "You know, I think there's a 5-strip somewhere in my car, from like a year and a half ago. I don't know if it's still any good, but if I find it, I'll split it with you." So I went back to my car.

It was still good. It was blotter stored in tinfoil, wrapped up in something else and stuffed somewhere. It came into contact with nothing absorbent. It was subjected to no light at all, and very little airflow (package was probably jostled a bit and the vibrations from the car driving), but definitely to the summer heat and a chilly humid Seattle winter, with seemingly little loss in potency.

There are so many urban legends about acid, but it definitely CAN stay good for a long time, if stored properly, or even just mostly avoiding the usual weathering mechanisms.

I'd probably get a contact high just trying to figure out a Buchla system, but I don't think I'd be tripping...

Storage is key, it basically has to be kept in a vacuum to maintain potency as it breaks down very quickly when left out to light and oxygen. You would need to come into contact with a lot of liquid or crystal LSD to get high just touching it with your finger like this guy says he did.. Chemists back in the day making it, often got high from inhaling air borne liquid particles.

Moonwhistle 23rd May 2019 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlestickz (Post 13997708)
Storage is key, it basically has to be kept in a vacuum to maintain potency as it breaks down very quickly when left out to light and oxygen. You would need to come into contact with a lot of liquid or crystal LSD to get high just touching it with your finger like this guy says he did.. Chemists back in the day making it, often got high from inhaling air borne liquid particles.

It's possible he rubbed his eye or touched his mouth/nose. As long as it's kept dry and in the dark it won't break down, so while probably false it is plausible.

chaocrator 23rd May 2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonwhistle (Post 13997765)
It's possible he rubbed his eye or touched his mouth/nose.

or vaporized some substance with soldering iron and inhaled.

Domitable 23rd May 2019 06:42 AM

I went on a Time Trip with my V-Synth abduction

Moonwhistle 23rd May 2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaocrator (Post 13997812)
or vaporized some substance with soldering iron and inhaled.

Heat from soldering iron would destroy it. ;)

tripp2k 23rd May 2019 07:00 AM

I read that article and now I'm tripping. It isn't written very well and reads like the work of a summer intern who skipped history completely.

Tangent 23rd May 2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripp2k (Post 13997863)
I read that article and now I'm tripping. It isn't written very well and reads like the work of a summer intern who skipped history completely.

Too funny. So apparently this was the Buchla used by Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters, made famous in Tom Wolfes The Electric Cool Aid Acid Test, thats the real story if its true! But the author apparently omits this historic detail, only mentions it was some bus used by Ken Kesey. :cop:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...USEd_front.jpg

BTW LSD dosage is down at micro-gram levels, you don't need much to trip out.

Who knows if this is true or not. bumpkin

Treebase DMX 23rd May 2019 11:55 AM

America.

My experience with hippies and readings about the 60s suggests this story may be actually true. Owsley himself or a friend of his would have had stupid amounts of pure acid in their hands, and it isn't far-fetched to think that they, in their acid induced delusions would have thought that putting a lump of pure LSD crystals inside the synth would make it pick up cosmic sounds or some such drivel. Later, someome got busted or just lost the plot completely, and that bit of acid in the Buchla was forgotten about.

I mean, these are people who (in the later stages) believed they could achieve immortality and live in outer space ...

The problem with this theory is that pure acid is a powder and apparently doesn't form crystals that can be seen with the naked eye.... so it may well be a hoax concocted by the descendants of said deluded hippies. The guy's wife looks like a likely suspect- definitely a hippie.

donato 23rd May 2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treebase DMX (Post 13998157)
The guy's wife looks like a likely suspect- definitely a hippie.

I was laughing a bit at her part because she seemed like she was either high or had done a lot of drugs in her life.

daviddever 23rd May 2019 12:25 PM

It'd have to be a Buchla; Moog Modular is more of a mushroom vibe.

Rob Ocelot 23rd May 2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonwhistle (Post 13997765)
It's possible he rubbed his eye or touched his mouth/nose. As long as it's kept dry and in the dark it won't break down, so while probably false it is plausible.

The TV spot mentions that he used an electronics cleaner to remove the crystal residue, likely petroleum based. It's quite possible the solvent allowed the residue to be readily dissolved through his skin. Most electronics guys I know don't regularly wear gloves (and in some cases eye protection).

A nine hour trip though is a pretty heavy dose.

edit:

Another thing to consider is that he claims the crystalline residue was quite noticeable. If the outer layers of the residue were oxidized then the inner parts of the crystal may have been protected from the elements until he released it with the cleaner.

pppch 23rd May 2019 12:58 PM

it is not impossible, albert hofmann had accidentally taken his first trip via his fingers.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....wL._UX385_.jpg

pelican 23rd May 2019 01:05 PM

wish I could get some

fiddlestickz 23rd May 2019 01:22 PM

the real trip here is that people believe this story.

Mefistophelees 23rd May 2019 01:25 PM

Somehow, this is the most appropriate Buchla story ever.

Treebase DMX 23rd May 2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelican (Post 13998229)
wish I could get some

You're better off with mushrooms !