Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Analog drun machine- Tempest? Somthing else I should look at? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1264092-analog-drun-machine-tempest-somthing-else-i-should-look.html)

Quantum7 8th May 2019 01:28 AM

Analog drum machine- Tempest? Somthing else I should look at?

I think I would like to purchase a dedicated analog drum machine that will allow me to do the usual bread and butter electronic drum sounds along with....well, anything I can create with the synth engine. The DSI Tempest is the only drum machine I've really looked at so far, but I'm sure there are at least a few others that people here would recommend I should probably also consider. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Thanks! kfhkh

Deleted c985153 8th May 2019 01:32 AM

Vermona DRM1 + Beatstep Pro is a great combo.

Oekoumene 8th May 2019 01:48 AM

Depends on how much flexibility you need in the synthesis department, and whether you like the dsi filter etc..
For me the tempest is perfect, warts and all..

Quantum7 8th May 2019 01:57 AM

Never knew about the Vermona- sounds pretty cool for the price. I will check out more videos on it. The Tempest kicks butt, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'd use it enough to justify the hefty price.

Bignatius 8th May 2019 02:08 AM

Every one of them have annoying flaws and omissions, to the extent that none are so good that they're a great "only drum machine to have"...

IMO.

That said, Tempest is cool and powerful and definitely worth owning.

Vermona DRM mkIII sounds awesome but has no presets and no pads, but a great machine.

TR8S is cool if you want a X0X Sequencer and want to load your own samples or if you like ACB.

Drumbrute (both of them) have great Sequencers but meh-ish sounds, but they're still worth having.

And so on. They're all a PITA in one way or another, but they're all pretty cool just the same.

Buy them all.

Bignatius 8th May 2019 02:12 AM

For under $1000 you can catch a Drumbrute Impact and a Vermona, and have a great Sequencer in a small package controlling a great Analog Drum Synth with tons of knobs via MIDI, plus extras... the Sequencer in the Brutes allow completely unquantized recording, too.

Bignatius 8th May 2019 02:30 AM

I think this video is the best sounding example of what the Vernona is capable of in the right hands.

Use headphones or adequate volume to hear the nuances and qualities therein. Pure DRM, no FX:

Quantum7 8th May 2019 02:30 AM

I will take just about any PITA issue except for a "so, so sound". From the few videos I saw on the Drumbrute (both models), it sounded just "meh" to me, but maybe I didn't hear enough. The Tempest sounds great and the Verona sounds great. I think I'll look at my projections of the next 25 tracks that I know for sure I'll be working on, and if I'll be using percussion on at least 8 or 10 tracks, then I might as well go for the Tempest. Anything less than that perhaps the Verona will be fine enough to get the job done.....it certainly sounds great to my ears from the demos I've heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bignatius (Post 13968909)
I think this video is the best sounding example of what the Vernona is capable of in the right hands.

Use headphones or adequate volume to hear the nuances and qualities therein. Pure DRM, no FX:

Yeah, this is the one that impressed me.

zerocrossing 8th May 2019 02:49 AM

I’m a huge fan of the Tempest, but I think it’s best for creative and experimental kinds of electronic drums and percussion. It really shines when you layer samples with its synth engine. It’s also really interesting as a hybrid poly, which is how I mainly used it. Think of it as a 6 voice MoPho married an Evolver and had an kid that was raised my more mild mannered parents. :lol:

If I were to buy a dedicated hardware drum synth, there’s no doubt that I would buy a Vermona DRM1. Great sound. I need something with presets and I’m not going to really make a drum sound and sample it. I just use Goldbaby sample packs and Maschine. I’m lazy.

octatonic 8th May 2019 02:52 AM

Elektron Analog Rytm is worth checking out- especially a used Mk 1 as they are pretty cheap now.

I don't rate the Drum Brute- had it, sold it quickly.

pppch 8th May 2019 02:55 AM

drun machine.. what is that.. from planet dune ? :lol:

if it goes around drums, tempest was never finished, but is the modal under the drum machines.
if you find a tama techstar I would prefer it

Quantum7 8th May 2019 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerocrossing (Post 13968937)
I’m a huge fan of the Tempest, but I think it’s best for creative and experimental kinds of electronic drums and percussion. It really shines when you layer samples with its synth engine. It’s also really interesting as a hybrid poly, which is how I mainly used it. Think of it as a 6 voice MoPho married an Evolver and had an kid that was raised my more mild mannered parents. :lol:

If I were to buy a dedicated hardware drum synth, there’s no doubt that I would buy a Vermona DRM1. Great sound. I need something with presets and I’m not going to really make a drum sound and sample it. I just use Goldbaby sample packs and Maschine. I’m lazy.

I also suffer from the "lazy" bug. My wife just reminded me that I'm not especially a fan of not being able to save presets. Maybe the Tempest is the way to go....but my wallet likes the Vermona. Decisions, decisions. confoosed

draig 8th May 2019 03:14 AM

Check out the Analog Rytm... It is an exceptional machine.

zerocrossing 8th May 2019 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum7 (Post 13968953)
I also suffer from the "lazy" bug. My wife just reminded me that I'm not especially a fan of not being able to save presets. Maybe the Tempest is the way to go....but my wallet likes the Vermona. Decisions, decisions. confoosed

Yeah, I’m the same. Which is why I don’t own any drum machine/synth. Er, except for a Tenori-on. That thing is fun, but not what you’re after.

pppch 8th May 2019 03:27 AM

Quantum7 8th May 2019 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draig (Post 13968966)
Check out the Analog Rytm... It is an exceptional machine.

Yeah, I've been checking that one out also an am VERY impressed.

zerocrossing 8th May 2019 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum7 (Post 13968986)
Yeah, I've been checking that one out also an am VERY impressed.

Warning: sound design on an Elektron machine can be tedious. YMMV.

Deleted 063dc0d 8th May 2019 03:41 AM

Pioneer SP-16 sounds amazing.

Load your own samples and they will sound amazing, too.

I have a RYTM. I like it. But it doesn’t sound anywhere near as good as the SP-16.

Quantum7 8th May 2019 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerocrossing (Post 13968991)
Warning: sound design on an Elektron machine can be tedious. YMMV.

Really? D'oh! :facepalm: Why can't my choice be easy!!! :lol:

channelite 8th May 2019 03:43 AM

I’ve been using the Digitakt sequencing my MS2000r getting some really nice drum sounds. The MS2000r is a VA, but it think it sounds better than the Tempest which I sold and don’t miss.

geremy 8th May 2019 03:44 AM

Elektron Rytm mkII. 8 analog drum voices. Sampler (which uses analog filter/signal chain). Individual Outs. Analog Distortion & Compressor.

pppch 8th May 2019 03:46 AM

if you can afford it take a few boog and a beatstep pro ... a pure minimoog drummachine ..
you can also mix ms20 in the future

camus2 8th May 2019 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pppch (Post 13968979)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlprNAnbK3U

The guy asked for a dedicated analogue drum machine ... shiee

and you link to a random groovebox? You people don't even bother reading posts anymore...

OP, check out the old Jomox drum machines, or the Analog Rytm as suggested before. They are the best things on the market.

pppch 8th May 2019 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camus2 (Post 13969012)
The guy asked for a dedicated analogue drum machine ... shiee

and you link to a random groovebox? You people don't even read posts.

asked a drun machine.. serious..

a bit of fantasy is also part of it .. this is a controller .. you can connect what you want .. toaster coffee machine, etc.
dsi tempest has also digital oscillators with on board..blasphemy

octatonic 8th May 2019 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum7 (Post 13969000)
Really? D'oh! :facepalm: Why can't my choice be easy!!! :lol:

Most problems with Electron workflow comes from not knowing the workflow.

Read the manual and watch some videos outlining the feature set, such as this:

The first 6 months of Elektron ownership was a confusing time.
I now have almost everything they make and very happy with the gear.

Quantum7 8th May 2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octatonic (Post 13969015)
Most problems with Electron workflow comes from not knowing the workflow.

Read the manual and watch some videos outlining the feature set, such as this:

The first 6 months of Elektron ownership was a confusing time.
I now have almost everything they make and very happy with the gear.

Thanks. I'll check out the video. 6 months? I'm 50 years old, so that would be about 1/54th of my life expectancy spent just to learn that puppy? :amaze: :deth: gooof

Quantum7 8th May 2019 04:01 AM

"Drun" Machine typo was corrected within a minute of my first post but GS seems to take forever when editing thread titles to show the change. :facepalm:

octatonic 8th May 2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum7 (Post 13969017)
Thanks. I'll check out the video. 6 months? I'm 50 years old, so that would be about 1/54th of my life expectancy spent just to learn that puppy? :amaze: :deth: gooof

That was to fully understand the device and all its capabilities plus being able to work intuitively with it in a live performance situation and trust I wasn't going to screw up.

You can get broadly conversant with it in a few days.

Quantum7 8th May 2019 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octatonic (Post 13969025)
That was to fully understand the device and all its capabilities plus being able to work intuitively with it in a live performance situation and trust I wasn't going to screw up.

You can get broadly conversant with it in a few days.

Oh thank God! :) I have to be careful in how I spend the precious 324 months I have left. kfhkh

coolfog09 8th May 2019 04:10 AM

I don't think you can beat a software drum machine and sequencer and good daw with hardware.