Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Audio Transfers, Restoration and Archiving (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/audio-transfers-restoration-and-archiving/)
-   -   Noise Reduction. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/audio-transfers-restoration-and-archiving/1258064-noise-reduction.html)

rallycapmusic 29th March 2019 09:17 PM

Noise Reduction.

Hey guys.

I’ve used many hardware music making machines and DAW’s over the years. One thing I’ve noticed and found common was that: All my music that I made always had this hi “sibilance” sounds. Like it didn’t have this “quiet” and “intimate” sound like commercial recordings. Then it dawned on me that I remember years and years ago when I started out recording, when I was recording on old 4 track tape machines like the Tascam 424’s etc, that they had a “dbx Noise Reduction on:off” switch on it that I would apply after making music on it. And I remember how the whole overall song would get “quieter”. Not necessarily quiet in volume? But it did “something” to the song. Like reduced the overall “noise” around it.

Nowadays I know we mostly use digital and supposedly there isn’t any “noise”, especially with softsynth and mixing in the box etc, but I still find this to be an issue. At least with my work. So last night I did a test. I downloaded Audacity and I know Audacity has a lot of effect features and one of those features is a “Noise Reduction” effect. So I imported on of my songs into Audacity and applied the Noise Reduction. And not even messing around with the settings? I can clearly see what it did. I took the “hi-ish-hissy” sheen from around the song and made it more quiet and somewhat “punchy.” Seems like this is the sound I’ve been missing with my recordings.

And suggesting or ideas? Is this done in the mastering stages?

Thanks.

Riccardo 8th April 2019 05:54 PM

No this is not done at the mastering stage. If we are talking restoration as an example of tapes yes it would be part of the process. If you are still experiencing this high end issue with digital medium you will need to find out where and why it occurs in your recording chain.

Bushman 8th April 2019 08:08 PM

I have no negative or positive comment on your DBX sibilance control trick. It may be a genius application of old hardware that does some magic on sibilant vocal tracks.
But I agree completely with the first response. This trick has no business in a mastering situation. It should be used on a vocal track. On a mixed track, a DBX processor will impact all the elements of the track to some degree. It’s going to be butchery when it should be surgery.

rallycapmusic 16th April 2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushman (Post 13914113)
it may be a genius application of old hardware that does some magic on sibilant vocal tracks. It should be used on a vocal track.

Well, you know, those recorders (Tascam 424) or any recorder matter of fact, isn't dedicated to just vocals. You can record whatever on any track to compose a song and mix. I was speaking of a whole song mixed in its entirety, sounds more "quiet." Like everything "sibilance" wise around it, goes away and it sounds like a nice quiet mixed song one that DBX NR is applied.

Where as with digital and DAW's etc, once bounced down to a file? Played back on iTunes or a commercial player, sounds real "hi-ish and sheen-like, harsh."

Robo 16th April 2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riccardo (Post 13913841)
If you still en****er this

This is the best typo/censorship combo in history!

Riccardo 16th April 2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robo (Post 13928333)
This is the best typo/censorship combo in history!

Edited! :)

Bushman 16th April 2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallycapmusic (Post 13928328)
Well, you know, those recorders (Tascam 424) or any recorder matter of fact, isn't dedicated to just vocals. You can record whatever on any track to compose a song and mix. I was speaking of a whole song mixed in its entirety, sounds more "quiet." Like everything "sibilance" wise around it, goes away and it sounds like a nice quiet mixed song one that DBX NR is applied.

I guess “genius” wasn’t positive enough for you...
I understood what you are doing and the capabilities of the Tascam 424. Perhaps you are attempting sarcasm in schooling me on that subject.
I apologize for painting with too broad a brush. I’m not the mastering police, and anyone can use whatever they please when they are self-mastering.
What I should have said is that this looks to me like the kind of thing that I can imagine any creative engineer trying and possibly using on vocal tracks. I do not think that most pro mastering engineers would put finished mixes through your process.