Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   All Things Technical (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/)
-   -   Merging Anubis (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/1252514-merging-anubis.html)

David Spearritt 1st March 2019 04:31 PM

Merging Anubis
 
Deserves its own new thread. Monitoring, headphone mixes, talkback over Ravenna, two channels mic amp, DXD/DSD.
YouTube

TMetzinger 1st March 2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Spearritt (Post 13840004)
Deserves its own new thread. Monitoring, headphone mixes, talkback over Ravenna.
YouTube


So, is this a Ravenna functional version of a Rednet AM2 (Dante) that adds talkback? Or is there more that I'm missing (DXD/DSD, or uber D/A, or ????)

Edit: Got the impression in another thread that this is much more. If I understand it, it's 4 channels of ADC, 5 or 6 channels of DAC, plus a couple of preamps, plus the DSD/DXD codecs, plus onboard bitbuckets to make it a recorder. Very cool.

brawee 1st March 2019 05:15 PM

Yay for the thought. A product such as this has been a long time coming. I’m still bummed that Cymatic ended its development of a similar project a few years ago. I can’t wait to see how expensive this is.

tailspn 1st March 2019 05:46 PM

As of last October, a physically small stand alone Ravenna/AES67 networked 4 channel recorder (two channels with mic pres) including up to 5 (5.1?) channel DAC monitoring, of all the currently Merging supported PCM and DSD sample and bit rates. A very competitively priced stand alone high performance recorder, and with its onboard Zman processor, a desirable addition to networking with HAPI/Horus to provide a powerful monitoring solution, and then some.

Tom

JonesH 1st March 2019 06:21 PM

YouTube

Teaser is online :)

I’ve been waiting my butt off for something like this. Price is as far as I hear a bit steep but worth it I think.

JonesH 1st March 2019 06:22 PM

I for one has placed a pre-order and hope to receive mine as soon as available in Scandinavia. I hear I’m not the only one interested...

Gaston69 1st March 2019 06:55 PM

How Steep??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonesH (Post 13840289)
YouTube

Teaser is online :)

I’ve been waiting my butt off for something like this. Price is as far as I hear a bit steep but worth it I think.

What price is expected.....

Ward_Beck 1st March 2019 08:32 PM

We've been working on similar solutions. The Ward-Beck preMO-221 and preMO-222.

Networked dual mic/line preamplifier with Stereo Mic In, Dual Headset Out or Line Output & PoE capability - AES67 SMPTE 2110-30 Ravenna®

http://ward-beck.com/media/catalog/p..._Quarter_2.png

http://ward-beck.com/media/catalog/p..._Quarter_2.png

http://ward-beck.com/media/catalog/p...222_Rear_1.png

http://ward-beck.com/media/catalog/p...221_Rear_1.png

tailspn 1st March 2019 09:13 PM

Nice glom Ward, but not very similar. Maybe you should start your own thread to announce your device's capabilities?

Em2016 2nd March 2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonesH (Post 13840292)
I for one has placed a pre-order and hope to receive mine as soon as available in Scandinavia. I hear I’m not the only one interested...

Hi, where is it available for pre-order?

Also, I assume you've seen pictures and seen specs?

Can you or anyone here, please share these pictures and specs here, for us?

I'm mostly interested in Ravenna input and D-to-A (2-channel).

Many thanks

Gaston69 2nd March 2019 02:36 PM

How Much???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Em2016 (Post 13841658)
Hi, where is it available for pre-order?

Also, I assume you've seen pictures and seen specs?

Can you or anyone here, please share these pictures and specs here, for us?

I'm mostly interested in Ravenna input and D-to-A (2-channel).

Many thanks

How Much????

David Spearritt 2nd March 2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaston69 (Post 13841705)
How Much????

In what currency?

Don't think pricing has been finalised yet.

Em2016 3rd March 2019 07:40 AM

It's hard to tell from the short YouTube video but can someone guess what the connections on the back are?

From left to right?

Are there any analogue RCA outputs or only XLR?

Gaston69 3rd March 2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Spearritt (Post 13842462)
In what currency?

Don't think pricing has been finalised yet.

Euros

Em2016 3rd March 2019 01:30 PM

@ Ward_Beck

What PCM and DSD sample rates are supported with preMO-221, via Ravenna input?

And what is the balanced analogue output voltage?

And the headphone's output impedance?

Thomas W. Bethe 3rd March 2019 02:29 PM

Judging by what their other stuff costs probably EXPENSIVE. cooge

rumleymusic 3rd March 2019 05:19 PM

Probably around $3000 if they want to be "competitively priced" (comparing to Prism Sound Lyra 2)

I could certainly use something like this in my editing room.

Plush 3rd March 2019 05:56 PM

It's Swiss.

Gaston69 3rd March 2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe (Post 13843416)
Judging by what their other stuff costs probably EXPENSIVE. cooge

When it is really good it might not be that expensive after all....

tailspn 3rd March 2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumleymusic (Post 13843671)
Probably around $3000 if they want to be "competitively priced" (comparing to Prism Sound Lyra 2)

I could certainly use something like this in my editing room.

My knowledge about US pricing is that it's quite a bit less than that. But as David points out, the pricing probably has not yet been finalized. For those interested, the way to gain more information, and get on a list, is to contact the Merging dealer servicing your country.

The value of this product for me is as a networked controller for a Hapi/Hours(s) providing stereo monitoring in DXD while recording DSD surround under Masscore. I'm not knowledgeable of how that would work running under ASIO connected Windows 10, but maybe that's the whole idea of the offering. For me, it's the same functionality as having another Hapi and D/A board with Masscore and Pyramix functionality.

Tom

David Spearritt 3rd March 2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailspn (Post 13844090)
I'm not knowledgeable of how that would work running under ASIO connected Windows 10, but maybe that's the whole idea of the offering. For me, it's the same functionality as having another Hapi and D/A board with Masscore and Pyramix functionality.

It is a compelling product for me, so the price is not really that important. I think AoIP is the future and this box makes location recording setups even more capable with less equipment than ever.

Now that Apple seem to have upset the cart with some serious USB audio hardware issues, AoIP and AES67 are even more important to divorce oneself from uncertainties in workstation suppliers and reduce risk.
Apple's latest Macs have a serious audio glitching bug - CDM Create Digital Music

Em2016 3rd March 2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailspn (Post 13844090)
. For me, it's the same functionality as having another Hapi and D/A board with Masscore and Pyramix functionality.

Tom

Hi Tom

From the video teaser, is that a pair of XLR analogue line level outputs on the back?

TMetzinger 3rd March 2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Spearritt (Post 13844193)
It is a compelling product for me, so the price is not really that important. I think AoIP is the future and this box makes location recording setups even more capable with less equipment than ever.

Now that Apple seem to have upset the cart with some serious USB audio hardware issues, AoIP and AES67 are even more important to divorce oneself from uncertainties in workstation suppliers and reduce risk.
Apple's latest Macs have a serious audio glitching bug - CDM Create Digital Music

Macs have been having issues with Dante on built-in ethernet chipsets recently, causing folks to use USB ethernet adapters. I suspect it's software rather than hardware or firmware and that they'll get it sorted soon, but... I'm glad I didn't make the move to Apple.

weltarm 4th March 2019 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Spearritt (Post 13844193)
It is a compelling product for me, so the price is not really that important. I think AoIP is the future and this box makes location recording setups even more capable with less equipment than ever.

Now that Apple seem to have upset the cart with some serious USB audio hardware issues, AoIP and AES67 are even more important to divorce oneself from uncertainties in workstation suppliers and reduce risk.
Apple's latest Macs have a serious audio glitching bug - CDM Create Digital Music


Agreed, and this is why I picked up a Hapi. It's a bit overkill for my purposes, but having excellent conversion and a rock-solid interface is worth it to me. I tried out a few USB DACs and would invariably run into some problem with MacOS and certificates, drivers, etc. et al.

I've had only one issue with that Hapi and that was when I upgraded MacOS faster than Merging recommended. Downgrading fixed the issue instantaneously.


Anubis looks very compelling -- it's small footprint is especially interesting. If it has the same grade of conversion as the Hapi, which is extremely likely, I'll probably sell the Hapi and pick up the Anubis.

(If anyone is interested in a Hapi with the primo DA module, let me know.)

tailspn 4th March 2019 03:03 AM

I was briefed on Anubis at AES last October. Claude carried it in an inside overcoat pocket to give you an idea of its size. There were two line level XLR on the back, and the other four channels I remember were on the front edge, but shared with the headphone capability. I see from the teaser now there's two line level phone jacks labeled 3 and 4 alongside the headphone jack. I was told that it supports all Merging supported formats at all the bit/sample rates, and I believe like HAPI/Hours, a standard version up to 192KHz PCM, and a premium version with 352.8KHz PCM, and the three DSD rates.

That, and the dual talkback was the easy stuff for me to remember. What I do not remember well is the functionality brought by the onboard Zman processing module that seemed very encompassing, well beyond that of a simple four track recorder. We'll have to wait and see, but I was impressed at the time.

Tom

tourtelot 4th March 2019 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMetzinger (Post 13844376)
Macs have been having issues with Dante on built-in ethernet chipsets recently, causing folks to use USB ethernet adapters. I suspect it's software rather than hardware or firmware and that they'll get it sorted soon, but... I'm glad I didn't make the move to Apple.

Is this in new Macs? Or is it a software issue with, let's say, Mojave? I believe that Mojave has some issues in the audio realm in general. I don't believe Avid has okay'd Mojave yet, at least the last time I looked. I have no reason, right now to upgrade, even to High Sierra, as long as things continue to work.
I am not having any trouble with the built-in ethernet on Sierra on my 2012 MBP units. But neither, as well, with a cheap Win10 machine that I typically use as a controller over IP. Stable, it seems.

Back to an old thread tho. I have totally abandoned Pro Tools as a location recording format, falling back on Waves Tracks Live as a backup bit bucket.

D.

PS, that Merging stuff certainly is very nice.

pentagon 4th March 2019 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMetzinger (Post 13844376)
Macs have been having issues with Dante on built-in ethernet chipsets recently, causing folks to use USB ethernet adapters. I suspect it's software rather than hardware or firmware and that they'll get it sorted soon, but... I'm glad I didn't make the move to Apple.

The current USB audio issue is in hardware (it is the T2 security chip). Current solution is Thunderbolt -> USB adapter and there is no issue.
Macs have/had also (via macOS updates) completely broken AVB support.
Also Dante (via DVS) was interfered with via a macOS update temporarily.

The only certainty so far has been PCIe audio cards (where supported) and even Thunderbolt interfaces have been interfered with on different macOS versions.

Or there is no certainty and we have to deal with all of this no matter what. AoIP is definitely not immune so we all just roll the dice and try to keep our systems as bulletproof as possible.

tourtelot 4th March 2019 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentagon (Post 13844723)
Macs have/had also (via macOS updates) completely broken AVB support.

AVB. The "Elcaset" of AoIP. :)

D.

Em2016 4th March 2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailspn (Post 13844589)
Claude carried it in an inside overcoat pocket to give you an idea of its size. There were two line level XLR on the back

I believe like HAPI/Hours, a standard version up to 192KHz PCM, and a premium version with 352.8KHz PCM, and the three DSD rates.

onboard Zman processing module

Tom

I'm sold on these 3 points. Especially if cheaper than Hapi + DA8P.

panatrope 4th March 2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourtelot (Post 13844774)
AVB. The "Elcaset" of AoIP. :)

Did you mean "Edsel"?