Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   TC Electronic launches JUNE-60 Chorus (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1247900-tc-electronic-launches-june-60-chorus.html)

The Press Desk 28th January 2019 07:42 PM

TC Electronic launches JUNE-60 Chorus

1 Attachment(s)

TC Electronic launches JUNE-60 Chorus

Old school bucket brigade stereo chorus

TC Electronic’s new June-60 chorus pedal will keep anyone with an itch for 80s retro-wave tones satiated, until the next season of Stranger Things drops.

Ported from the iconic chorus circuit found in one the most sought after vintage synths, June-60 serves up chewy, vintage chorus in a tasteful design.

Vintage analog modulation
The all-analog bucket brigade circuit is fine-tuned for guitar and produces warm, pulsating modulation with an organic, old school tone and feel.

Just like the original circuit, June-60 comes with two chorus mode buttons - 1 is a sweet and mellow chorus that works wonders for strumming chords, while 2 unleashes a faster, throatier tone, perfect for melodic, Beatle-esque arpeggios.

The two modes can be stacked together for some swirling, slightly eccentric. dual-LFO action that's just begging for some soaring, psychedelic lead work.

Featuring a mono/stereo switch, June-60 lets you use a TRS split cable to achieve that widening, larger-than-life lushness of a stereo setup.

For more information: JUNE-60 | Stompboxes | Guitar | TC Electronic | Categories | MUSIC Group - TC Electronic

Fugist 28th January 2019 08:12 PM

Haha... that thing is funny!:lol:

blackcom 29th January 2019 12:51 AM

Boss Dimension D... So this... Mkay

the fxs 29th January 2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugist (Post 13773450)
Haha... that thing is funny!:lol:

what's so funny?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcom (Post 13774288)
Boss Dimension D... So this... Mkay

what does this have to do with the Dim D?

jmcecil 29th January 2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Press Desk (Post 13773356)
[CENTER]
The all-analog bucket brigade circuit is fine-tuned for guitar

hmmm... wanted this for keys. Would have preferred the original "fine-tune"

jiffybox 29th January 2019 07:41 PM

I was maybe still am excited for this but the recent NAMM and post NAMM demos have me feeling meh. At the price point it really doesn’t matter I guess and the preorder is still in my cart but...I’m sure in person it’ll sound aces with, say, a Crave or a Microfreak ie the new synth armada that don’t have effects.

tux99 30th January 2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcecil (Post 13775761)

Does that mean it won't work with synth signal levels?

That would be very disappointing, I was looking forward to it.

the fxs 30th January 2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcecil (Post 13775761)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tux99 (Post 13777572)
Does that mean it won't work with synth signal levels?

That would be very disappointing, I was looking forward to it.

yeah, it won't work at all when you plug in anything else than a guitar.

c'mon people.

tux99 30th January 2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the fxs (Post 13777614)

c'mon people.

What kind of answer is that?
I don't own any guitar pedals and have no experience with them. At the same time I have read that not every guitar pedal works well with line level signals, so my question seems sensible to me.

If you know better then please give a sensible answer.

jmcecil 30th January 2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the fxs (Post 13777614)

c'mon people.

of course it will "work" with keys, but the line response will be wrong and it will eq'ed for guitar. It's the same reason they make bass guitar pedals. The frequency domain is different. There are tons of keyboard sounds that it will likely sound great on.

lobsterinn 31st January 2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcecil (Post 13777843)
of course it will "work" with keys, but the line response will be wrong and it will eq'ed for guitar. It's the same reason they make bass guitar pedals. The frequency domain is different. There are tons of keyboard sounds that it will likely sound great on.

It’s not eq, it’s impedance and level which are different from instrument (guitar/bass) and line (synths/audio outboard gear). Mis-matched will pass audio, but it will tend to be noisy and thin.

Can someone tell me definitively if this is a line level or instrument level device? It’s cool either way, but less cool for synth nerds if it is made for instrument level.

jmcecil 31st January 2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobsterinn (Post 13780611)
It’s not eq, it’s impedance and level

Although EQ is admittedly a bit of a misnomer , it is actually both. As part of the signal processing load changes, the resistors/caps in the signal chain will get adjusted which usually rolls off some high end which will accentuate the core frequency response of a guitar. This causes keyboards to sound boxy or overly swampy (very technical term) at the bottom end.

When I read the quote about being fine tuned for guitar, that sounds like they really shaped the frequency response with a purpose. I could be wrong. I haven't heard the device.

lobsterinn 31st January 2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcecil (Post 13780630)
Although EQ is admittedly a bit of a misnomer , it is actually both. As part of the signal processing load changes, the resistors/caps in the signal chain will get adjusted which usually rolls off some high end which will accentuate the core frequency response of a guitar. This causes keyboards to sound boxy or overly swampy (very technical term) at the bottom end.

When I read the quote about being fine tuned for guitar, that sounds like they really shaped the frequency response with a purpose. I could be wrong. I haven't heard the device.

I didn't see that quote about being tuned for guitar. Bummer. We've got a thousand great guitar analog chorus pedals, and very few line-level chorus ones.

jmcecil 31st January 2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobsterinn (Post 13781124)
I didn't see that quote about being tuned for guitar. Bummer. We've got a thousand great guitar analog chorus pedals, and very few line-level chorus ones.

yeah, my response was completely shaped by that quote. And I agree completely your assessment .. hence my post :lol:

jmcecil 31st January 2019 07:47 PM

I would also add that there are also a bazzillion guitar pedals that sound great with synths. No one ever complained about a small stone on anything. So, this could be brilliant with keys as well. I have no idea. It just struck me odd that they would tout the fact that they shaped a "keyboard specific" effect to guitar.

Funkybot 31st January 2019 07:55 PM

Some guitar pedals take keyboards just fine IMO. It's a matter of experimenting. For the ones that don't, there are always reamp boxes. I was running a mono out from my Roland System-8, to a Radial EXTC-SA into a Big Muff Triangle reissue earlier this week and it sounded awesome.

jmcecil 31st January 2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkybot (Post 13781166)
Some guitar pedals take keyboards just fine IMO. It's a matter of experimenting. For the ones that don't, there are always reamp boxes. I was running a mono out from my Roland System-8, to a Radial EXTC-SA into a Big Muff Triangle reissue earlier this week and it sounded awesome.

If you look at my post just before yours, I say exactly the same thing. I’m not suggesting that this will sound bad or not work with keyboards. So I hope no one thinks I’m saying it’s some kind of fail or something. I don’t know how it sounds on a synth even. So how could I make that kind of assessment?

I was just surprised at the line in the description. It seems odd to take something that is clearly for keyboards and voice it for guitars, when I’ll bet there are a gazillion keyboard players jonesing to stack one of those on their outputs.

It’s likely much ado about nothing. Heck, I could be misunderstanding what they mean and just putting in stuff to instrument level instead of line level. Which as I stated before, still has a tendency to do the high roll off + mid hump thing. But, again if anyone thinks I was saying something bad about this box, I didn’t mean it that way.

I’ll likely still buy one.

btfnk 1st February 2019 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Press Desk (Post 13773356)
...circuit is fine-tuned for guitar...

...perfect for melodic, Beatle-esque arpeggios...

TC seem very confused about who would be interested in buying a Juno 60 chorus clone.

Not sure why they chose to market this to guitar players. Hopefully it's just marketing and they haven't done anything to the circuit that would make it not work well on synths. I can't imagine many of the people buying this want to use it with guitar.

Despite the clueless marketing, unless they really screwed this up sonically, it's still gonna sell like hotcakes.

mark714 4th February 2019 07:40 AM

I hope this sounds good. I have a Juno 60, and every time I use it I silently wish for a guitar version of the Chorus. Clearly I'm not alone.

The Cube 5th February 2019 03:43 AM

Anyone noticed this before? TAL Software

and its ... free.

World Studios 5th February 2019 07:21 AM

Its damn good too. My fave ITB chorus for fat warm and obvious chorus.

CasimirsBlake 1st October 2019 10:43 PM

Oh dear. :lol:

_DemonDan_ 10th October 2019 04:13 PM

FWIW: If you already own a JUNE-60 Chorus for use with keys, you should at least experiment with using it as a very natural-sounding Mono-> Stereo Expander.

Plug a synth into the Input and plug some stereo headphones into the Output.

Leave both the I and II buttons Off, with the switch set to STEREO. Then, toggle the Bypass footswitch Off and On.

You'll get a volume boost, but you'll also get a "no artifacts" natural-sounding expanded stereo field with no periodic modulation.

I own lots of pedals and rack effects, and none of them can do this simple subtle thing without making it obvious that you've turned an effect on.

Like I said, if you already own one, it's definitely worth trying.

Funkybot 10th October 2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake (Post 14241159)

Oh dear. :lol:

Oh my, is that what they sound like? That sounded more like a CE-1 in vibrato mode (almost leslie-like) than a Juno chorus.