Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Modular Mania - All Things Eurorack and Modular Synths/Effects (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/)
-   -   Buchla & Associates sponsors System 100 remakes under "Red Panel" brand name (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/1247525-buchla-amp-associates-sponsors-system-100-remakes-under-quot-red-panel-quot-brand-name.html)

Reptil 25th January 2019 02:33 PM

Buchla & Associates sponsors System 100 remakes under "Red Panel" brand name
 
1 Attachment(s)
Interesting developments here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...-red-panel.jpg

Your thoughts?

subdo 25th January 2019 03:22 PM

I just saw this too. Very exciting.

Derp 25th January 2019 04:04 PM

This explains a lot, actually. I've been meaning to buy a voice of Catalyst modules, but they've been out of stock for months. Looks like it's going to be worth the wait. I'm excited. Chrisso's videos have given me a boner for the series 100 sound. My poor wallet is going to hate me this year.

Reptil 25th January 2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 13765027)
This explains a lot, actually. I've been meaning to buy a voice of Catalyst modules, but they've been out of stock for months. Looks like it's going to be worth the wait. I'm excited. Chrisso's videos have given me a boner for the series 100 sound. My poor wallet is going to hate me this year.

kfhkh
Some Catalyst Audio modules here in Ashley's case. Sadly I didn't have more footage, somehow I mess up the audio when recording these two. They said they're going to move someplace, hope they'll stay on the modular scene somehow: talented, underappreciated.

mekanik 25th January 2019 04:50 PM

I guess they're a bit late for the party now when everyone and their dog have already cloned and marketed these modules.

Derp 25th January 2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mekanik (Post 13765158)
I guess they're a bit late for the party now when everyone and their dog have already cloned and marketed these modules.

Not really. Guys like Sputnik and Make Noise are after the newer Buchla paradigm with complex oscillators and stored random voltages. These new ones are going to be based on the 100 series which isn't quite as complicated a system and doesn't have 'magic' modules. Think less Alessandro Cortini and more Morton Subotnik.

Clone or not, I think this is a great tribute to Don's memory, and I can't wait to get a row or two of this in my rack.

chrisso 25th January 2019 06:34 PM

Yeah, the 100 is much more raw, radiophonic-stylee.
Not really similar to anything Make Noise.
Actually I'm more bummed they haven't done this in Buchla format.
I am not a fan of the 'E' type, and would love to add a couple of 100 style modules to my Buchla.
I didn't watch the whole video. The problem with the Catalyst modules were that they were so true to the original Buchla values they had lots of different voltage and audio volume inconsistencies with the Doepfer 'standard'.
It kind of means you had to jump through a few hoops to integrate them, or just make them their own system.
I don't know if these are more in line with standard Eurorack voltages, or whether (again) they've gone for the pure Buchla ethos.

Please make this for Buchla, not just Eurorack!!

gruvsyco 25th January 2019 08:05 PM

In the sonic state interview with Todd he says red panel will not be limited to eurorack. Also, one of the modules was adapted to be more eurorack voltage friendly.

Derp 25th January 2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisso (Post 13765458)
I didn't watch the whole video. The problem with the Catalyst modules were that they were so true to the original Buchla values they had lots of different voltage and audio volume inconsistencies with the Doepfer 'standard'.
It kind of means you had to jump through a few hoops to integrate them, or just make them their own system.
I don't know if these are more in line with standard Eurorack voltages, or whether (again) they've gone for the pure Buchla ethos.

Did a little bit of research, and I'd be willing to bet that these are rebadged Catalyst modules. The top row of 'funcitonal' modules is the entire current Catalyst lineup, including the Voltage Processor M configured for Eurorack. I hope this means that distribution will be expanding. *synthsturbates*

chrisso 25th January 2019 09:00 PM

100% agreed.
They’ve swallowed up the Catalyst project.
All the modules are exactly the same, including the one made to be more Eurorack friendly.
They hint at wanting to swallow up other clone projects.

LNerell 30th January 2019 07:52 PM

Back in 1981 the college that I transferred to had a giant Buchla 100 system which no one was interested in using, so I spent all my time learning that thing. Coming from the Moog modular that I was studying before, it was so different. I've always wanted to go back and explore one of these things again, I'm looking forward to trying them out once my local synth store gets them in stock.

Accent 31st January 2019 02:47 AM

If only they’d make a real “red panel” module freshflowe bumpkinpeachh mezed

chrisso 31st January 2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNerell (Post 13778604)
Coming from the Moog modular that I was studying before, it was so different. I've always wanted to go back and explore one of these things again, I'm looking forward to trying them out once my local synth store gets them in stock.

It will be different because it doesn't follow the Buchla work methods. It's just a different sounding Eurorack module effectively.

LNerell 31st January 2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisso (Post 13779990)
It will be different because it doesn't follow the Buchla work methods. It's just a different sounding Eurorack module effectively.

And I'm a different person then I was 38 years ago so maybe we will match. gooof

Reptil 2nd February 2019 01:04 PM

EDIT: The youtube now has been taken down grimm YouTube

This says available in 2-3 weeks: Catalyst Audio Model 106 – Thomann UK
hmmmmm

anybody curious; this how these sound

Reptil 2nd February 2019 01:21 PM

@ pre55ure Dave, can you please shed some light on what's going on? diddlydoo

Lets build a Buchla Eurorack out of the best clones. Throw your ideas here guys.

chrisso 2nd February 2019 02:06 PM

The 106 is just a basic audio mixer. Sounds no different to other basic Eurorack mixers.

Ksp 2nd February 2019 02:29 PM

for me this is all about quality of the sound , if the Oscillators sound like the originals great .

Reptil 2nd February 2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisso (Post 13785415)
The 106 is just a basic audio mixer. Sounds no different to other basic Eurorack mixers.

I posted it as an example of availability of the modules. I'm curious what's happening. (Why would they delete a perfectly fine NAMM interview? confoosed) Here's the lot on Thomann: Catalyst Audio – Thomann UK

That out of the way; I think the Model 158 oscillator would be a good addition for getting that sound? You have experience with these kinds of systems, right? I understood it's a bit different from eurorack and 200 in approach: Not interested in getting a whole system (too rich for me), though that would offer more of a Buchla 100 feeling, I presume.
Or should I also get a CV processor to go along with that? confoosed
PS: I know it tracks 1.2V/Oct, that is not a problem.

chrisso 2nd February 2019 04:04 PM

I have 258's. Quite similar to 158.
Very good at FM'ing. Also a very nice warm vintage sounding oscillator. Haven't heard the Catalyst version except for on Youtube.

Ossicle 22nd February 2019 12:10 PM

I don't think that RED PANEL logo does the original design much justice. I liked the Catalyst blue with the low key module numbers. What colour were the original 100's anyway (hard to tell from google pics)?

Soundwise the demos seem fantastic.

https://i2.wp.com/www.synthtopia.com...fit=1200%2C784

Reptil 22nd February 2019 02:34 PM

Dennis (Mono-Poly) here from Rotterdam he had a Buchla 100. nearly filled it up too. But I think he sold a bunch of it.
euh to answer your question: thinn black or blue lines on white background.
https://blogs.loc.gov/music/files/2016/01/buchla.jpg
yeah the big "RED PANEL" lettering is a bit eeh tacky I agree. "Good wine doesn't need a banner" as they say here.

Ossicle 23rd May 2019 06:59 AM

This obvioulsy absolutely true story sure creates good publicity for certain upcoming product.

Accidentally dosed by LSD while repairing a Buchla

HoPMiX 23rd May 2019 05:24 PM

lol yeah be careful under those red panels.

mickbenjamins 24th May 2019 09:20 AM

And still no prices announced...

Ossicle 20th August 2019 02:07 PM



Nice demo. Love Todd Barton.

But to the disappointment of many that HIDEOUS logo is still there. I wonder if there's anyone who actually prefers it. Anyone here? No one? Thought so. hjghfgg

Derp 20th August 2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickbenjamins (Post 13999885)
And still no prices announced...

I just found a quote on Synthtopia saying "between $300 and $500 per module."

Kja 21st August 2019 04:21 PM

At this point I really don't see the market spending 3 grand or so on this when it seems like the voltage lab from Pittsburgh sounds atleast as good to me and can do sooooo much more.

subdo 21st August 2019 04:38 PM

Well to be fair voltage lab is a semi so of course it is going have a better cost/feature ratio same as the Mothers and other semis. The market for the Red Panels is more than likely people looking to pick up specific modules that they feel will add that Buchla flavor. I'm curious about the details on all the modules.

Kja 23rd August 2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subdo (Post 14161043)
Well to be fair voltage lab is a semi so of course it is going have a better cost/feature ratio same as the Mothers and other semis. The market for the Red Panels is more than likely people looking to pick up specific modules that they feel will add that Buchla flavor. I'm curious about the details on all the modules.

The voltage lab is not a semi, it's full euro. The Microvolt was a semi but the new one is not.