Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo-diaries-of-recording-studio-construction-projects/)
-   -   Moving out of my Living Room (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo-diaries-of-recording-studio-construction-projects/1242115-moving-out-my-living-room.html)

sebsXS 14th December 2018 08:22 PM

Moving out of my Living Room

Thing is: I am pretty limited by my actual studio, even with the complete freedom of a living room. I decided I move to a decent space and professionalize what I am doing a bit more.

Things that limit me:

- Cant use a subwoofer, that does not make it easy with the techno i make.
- Treating the room has limits where I am
- I got Neighbours
- A renting contract that excludes "a professional music studio" (for what ever reason)
- I can not tax deduct the working space I am in.

However, I ended up with way to much equipment not to set it up professionally and I need to move my work to an office as well. So I started to look for places where I could build a studio, supported by my daily work, switching to more work for audio companies anyway.

In order to get some support with this, I am writing this report. Building a studio is a pretty expensive effort, and I hope to avoid some general mistakes, not only looking at the usual suspects of concerns (like room treatment) but as well on general ideas. Throw them at me. I just decided a bit of a crazy thing.

I aim at setting up correctly what I have and then buying what I need/desire. I stumbled in from the low end theory forum, so please do not throw me to the lions for my gear.

What I want to set up.

- A bunch of synthesizers.
- Drum machines
- About 10 working condition FX devices
- Around a small digital mixing/recording console I own
- A ITB mixing desk to get mixes done in a different environment from recording
- Extra office space with good storage capability (problem atm: my living room is a storage right now)

Investments upfront:

- Time and Money for location search
- Insurance
- Rent / 3 months deduction
- Basic Room Treatment
- A mixing Desk (wood, not the ssl 9000 one)
- Cheapish 19inch cabinets
- Probably more Cables and Patch bays (looking for a smart layout here)
- workbench (basic electronic works)

Longterm Goal: buy the right console for the whole thing.

I will keep you posted about updates and I am happy about suggestions.

Recording ATM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqNzs97W4AItk5H.jpg

Mixing:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrFWLVaXgAA7NSi.jpg

sebsXS 19th December 2018 11:57 AM

First diary entry: I might be lucky (again) and get some easy to treat space for rent.

First thing to think about is the reorg of my 19inch equipment. I'd like to operationalize the Midiverbs and other low end equipment I own.

Someone has an idea, on how to group 19 inch devices together? There is stuff I touch more often (like 19inch Synths) and then there is stuff I do not touch so often (master comp). So in order to avoid rebuilding that 19inch cabinets multiple times ... is there anything to look at?

theillusionist 19th December 2018 12:13 PM

Where are you looking at setting up out of interest? I'm assuming you're UK based?

sebsXS 20th December 2018 12:57 PM

Hamburg, Germany

What do I look for? I will not only move my studio to a dedicated place, I will also move together with my Girlfiriend at the same time. So I am looking for anything that is

- allowing for an studio
- is not a "shared office"
- is not a wework
- close to an area where my gf accepts to live.

It looks like I wont be in the inner city as gentrification is in its final stages. We do not want to move out "on the landside".

Things I looked at / People I talked to

- A "creative pool" from a big studio here, looking for members
- 2 office rooms at the top of a building plus 2 more (will break the budget by 400, but I can sub lease)
- many "normal" offices, where landlords did not even call back (probably the trigger word "studio")
- There is a type of "Villa" quarter with many buildings only 2 families living in there and basements. Exceptional prices.
- I did not check rehersal rooms
- I looked at 2 industry style areas as well. These might be a good shot if I find people to join.

sebsXS 7th January 2019 04:14 PM

Ok

Room Search comes to an end. I learned a lot while doing this.

1. Once you say studio, everyone hangs up
2. Inner City Areas have now WeWork preying on every inch of free space basically raising the price for space to WeWork level.
3. It would have been pleasant to have someone partnering up.
4. I will have to invest about 10K in and out. moving in, building things etc.

All in all, I think I got a relative fair deal with a Studio/Creative Complex and we will make some contracts soon. Its an awesome place and I will be able to show some "making of videos".

sebsXS 22nd February 2019 05:32 PM

We are getting there. I am getting a lease on a decent space. 3x5 Meters. Mixing desk placed to the small side, all synths on the walls. I talked to a friend, who built studios for a living inthe past, and we came to the conclusion that the follwing start would not be to bad:

Goal: Be able to record ALL drum machines and all synths without touching anything else than the patchbay.

1. Migrate all 19' gear to real racks, not cases, but racks
2. Keep the QSC touch mix for recording. It has its limits, But I want recording and mixing on different devices and workflows. All my recordings come from 22 track wavs out of this machine
3. All Gear into nice Jasper Stands
4. Use a big patchbay setup to re-wire everything for recording as needed. Basically making the digital mixer, the synths and 19' devices a modular setup
5. Use local monitoring where the jasper stands are.
6. on the 3 meters side, facing the window, I can set up the mixing desk (all ITB, ableton, push, small midi keyboard, softube comsole, a midi constroller).

The (ever growing) Shopping List
- 2 Racks 20HE
- 1 Jasper Stand fitting all Synths
- 1 tt phone patchbay
- A Monitor Controller
- 1 set of Monitor Stands

Unsolved: Lots of unrouted midi if I fill all the rackspace with gear. So here a question: How do you solve the problem, that there are so many midi connections n a rack gear, but all patchbays, or patch matrixes, only have 5 in 5 out .. but not so much more. Please, throw your "Rackcase midi planning" wisdom at me.

Next: Get the paperwork done, keep packing stuff (which I already started)

sebsXS 12th May 2019 07:29 PM

Decided to go with the mackie for recording, still limited, bout it just sounds the best of all options. I wish there was a little genie, telling me all those nasty tricks.

The rooms sounds okaish as it is, it will bebetter with treatment.

Best thing: Plenty of people, doing the same thing, different areas. We spent the weekend converting more rooms to a studio style set up and it enlightening to see the pros work with very basic methods.

I gave the setup a basic run and now its time to get into the recording part of things.