Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   How often do you TRACK vocals with a Pultec EQ (real/clone/plugin)? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1241721-how-often-do-you-track-vocals-pultec-eq-real-clone-plugin.html)

chessparov2.0 11th December 2018 07:55 PM

How often do you TRACK vocals with a Pultec EQ (real/clone/plugin)?

As the title says, how often do you initially track with a Pultec style EQ, "on the way in" for vocals?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Chris

jpanderson80 11th December 2018 08:41 PM

I like printing EQ and Compression choices when tracking, so I do it fairly often. You could always split your signal and track one dry and one wet if you get nervous. I've never had the experience of "Oh no, I made a bad EQ decision during tracking", but I'm not making huge moves with a Pultec... Gentle presence and gentle thickening.

Enlightened Hand 11th December 2018 09:36 PM

Often. As long as you know pretty much the ballpark of what you want it's a faster way to work because things sit right in the mix from the beginning and you don't need to do much to the tracks later.

BIG BUDDHA 11th December 2018 09:47 PM

i do, but i dont hit the boost or cut too hard.

just tweaking it on the way in.

buddha

jpanderson80 12th December 2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand (Post 13681537)
Often. As long as you know pretty much the ballpark of what you want it's a faster way to work because things sit right in the mix from the beginning and you don't need to do much to the tracks later.

Liz you are one of the most quotable contributors on GS for grounded and sensible info. Thanks for being here.

BIG BUDDHA 12th December 2018 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
you have to warm them up for a good 20 minuites before you use them, as they sound better when all nice and warm.

For vocals i often use the 100hz setting with a boost of plus 4.

then at 8 or 10 or 12k i go wide Q and another 2 or 3 or therabouts.

opens things up.

dont go crazy on the way in. especially if you are monitoring on nearfields, some of the low stuff you might not be hearing.

Buddha

Brent Hahn 12th December 2018 08:51 PM

I used to in my tape days, to pre-emphasize a little of the "air" that the tape would take away. Pultecs were the best option for that and lots of places had one or two.

Now, on a DAW, never.

drBill 12th December 2018 08:56 PM

Vocals? Rarely to never.

RedBaaron 12th December 2018 09:12 PM

Vocals: personally, I never do unless the mood specifically calls for a tube-ey sound. I prefer trannies over tubes for vocals.

Guitar and bass: always!

Drums and keys: easier just to do it all digitally nowadays. Maybe for a really dynamic drummer hellbent on micing an acoustic kit instead of triggers, then the toms and kick probably.

I think Pultecs tend to color the sound significantly if not used sparingly and therefore are better suited to instruments than voice. But as always YMMV.

chessparov2.0 12th December 2018 09:18 PM

Good food for thought. Not having the experience that you all have, I'll probably snag a hardware clone early next year. Fun to mess around with, and bring to my buddy's pro level project studio.

BTW I'm a self admitted "tube-aholic"!
Chris

Kimi777 12th December 2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 (Post 13681295)
As the title says, how often do you initially track with a Pultec style EQ, "on the way in" for vocals?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Chris

Depending on your setup, you can record both chains (one track with the pultec and one without pultec).
Then when you mix you can choose what is better.
If the pultec track don't fit the song for some reason, you can use the other.

It's a safe approach, but gives you also the freedom to bake a sound that you simply just like as it is.

chessparov2.0 12th December 2018 09:38 PM

Great point, yes I already do that. My main pre has two outs, and I feed one into my mixer to avoid latency. Geico recording caveman that I am-Still using a 10 year old Windows 7 laptop, that's going strong!:) Chris

BIG BUDDHA 13th December 2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 (Post 13683343)
Good food for thought. Not having the experience that you all have, I'll probably snag a hardware clone early next year. Fun to mess around with, and bring to my buddy's pro level project studio.

BTW I'm a self admitted "tube-aholic"!
Chris

just to clarify

pultecs are not a standard item in my vocal chain.

i generally keep it clean, but if you have a singer who is too thin sounding, and you have allready busted out your good mics, and its still not weighty enough, then i might reach for a pultec and add some bottoms.

generally when tracking i use mine on kick drum and bass Guitar.

Buddha