Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   New Products - Coming soon (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/)
-   -   SKnote announce MainEQ - A modern dynamic EQ with inter-band and inter-track action. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/1239946-sknote-announce-maineq-modern-dynamic-eq-inter-band-inter-track-action.html)

quintosardo 27th November 2018 03:26 PM

SKnote announce MainEQ - A modern dynamic EQ with inter-band and inter-track action.

Finally getting this one out.

MainEQ is an equaliser with a lot of special features like:

- Parametric equaliser.
- Dynamic modes (compress and expand).
- Compression, expansion and limiting modes.
- Per-band Mid/Side mode.
- Inter-band action (a frequency band controls another band's action).
- Inter-channel action (a frequency band in a track affects another track).
- Integrated multi-channel spectrum analyser.
- General Tilt control.
- 96 ksamples/s min internal processing.
- Simple, integrated interface.

Available Dec 2018 as VST/AU/AAX/Mac/Win/32/64 with a special launch price 29.99$ (final 49.99$).

www.sknoteaudio.com

Karloff70 27th November 2018 03:37 PM

Oh ****ing wow! I'm excited! With features like that and seemingly a very natural sound to boot (part guess as yet of course) it might indeed actually become what it is named. Having different instruments pushing each other around has always been a desire of mine, and this seems like a great new tool for doing exactly that in very specific ways. Bring it on, Q!!!!!rockout

anon 28th November 2018 08:15 PM

That is very impressive, looking forward to trying it out soon.

ardis 1st December 2018 06:05 AM

Wow...

jsblack 2nd December 2018 12:55 PM

HEy Q, will you integrate your fabulous auto-gain on this one..?
The workflow seems lovely, hope we can toggle Q factor with mouse wheel tough..
:cowbell:

quintosardo 2nd December 2018 02:14 PM

If course yes ;)

StoneyBCN 4th December 2018 01:31 AM

My gosh, that interface looks a lot of fun! freshflowe

Gee 15th December 2018 10:59 PM

Exciting!

Karloff70 2nd January 2019 02:58 PM

So Q, where this fabulous eq at? It's January and I am keen. ;-)

quintosardo 18th January 2019 01:04 PM

You know I'm slow. But that's simply because nothing comes out if it doesn't "click" for me. It is "clicking" ;)

While we are at it: any special request while we are closing the code? Autogain is already there ;)

Let me know here or in the relevant post on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/sknote.it/

XARC Mastering 28th January 2019 10:39 PM

Sounds great, but why OS to min 96 kHz for an EQ that has no distortion/harmonics? In my experience, it´s better to not OS if they are free of harmonics as the oversampling itself introduces artifacts (slight pre-ringing because of the linear phase oversampling) which won´t help the quality of an anyway clean EQ compared to simply running it at the current native sample rate. Just wondering if I´m wrong, as my blind-tests for distortion-free EQ´s (completely different from the ones that create harmonics of course!) always showed that the native sample rate sounds cleaner every time. In short (and not trying to bash at all): why do you think that OS is beneficial in general for the sound of your new EQ?

StoneyBCN 28th January 2019 11:32 PM

My guess is pre-warping the phase response to avoid cramping and better match analogue phase response. Or, they stuck some input and output drive stages on it? bumpkin

XARC Mastering 28th January 2019 11:39 PM

Do you mean the curve cramping near nyquist? I´ve seen EQ´s without OS that handle that just fine too. So I don´t see a benefit of oversampling a clean EQ, but maybe quintosardo can explain, would be really eager to know the benefits of this if it does not create any harmonics.

StoneyBCN 28th January 2019 11:52 PM

Yeah that's what I'm referring to. I have see it solved in other ways like you say, but my understanding is that those are each unique in-house solutions, and even other top devs like Fuse/BRA are on record on one of their threads stating that they chose to beat warping (and aliasing too) by oversampling. Still, I'm totally guessing about the use of oversampling here, and hopefully Q will provide some insight? Definitely a fair question you raised here.

Edit: from memory, Rei addresses the topic of oversampling with regards to frequency warping on the thread for his recent release of an emulation of a radio broadcast console. I get the names all wrong, sorry!

XARC Mastering 29th January 2019 02:32 AM

Yes, let´s see, eager to hear insight on this. I totally understand for Ray´s emulations, all of them are doing some kind of distortion/tube emulation stuff that creates harmonics, fully clear that OS does help in those cases. Just have been wondering "why" on a clean EQ like this one seems to be.

quintosardo 29th January 2019 04:09 PM

That's simply because of that, it is right, the down-to-0dB digital thing.

"Air" bands are centered well above 22kHz, to get their effect down to audio-range. So we need a 2x oversampling to get them working like analog when using low samplerate, like 44.1 or 48 ksam/s.

XARC Mastering 29th January 2019 09:20 PM

OK, thanks for the explanation, so this basically avoids the cramping. Still wondering how other EQ´s achieve it to not cramp the air band without oversampling. Fact is: if using OS, you still go down to the native sample rate in the end, so it´s all about avoiding cramping, but there seems to be solutions without involving OS for that. Interesting in any case, thanks for the feedback.

Karloff70 29th January 2019 09:32 PM

How long until this one drops? Quite excited about this one......

biksonije 3rd February 2019 06:48 PM

Looking forward to this one! rockout

I was e-mailing "Q" today regarding something else and asked about MainEQ while I was at it. :cowbell:

Sooooo nice, stripped of fancy shadows and colored buttons and knobs. I love this approach as in Magpha EQs for instance.

Krešo

Deleted e71ab78 5th February 2019 04:56 AM

When will this drop? It looks great.. How is it on the cpu/latency Quinto?

mutetourettes 8th February 2019 04:59 PM

Just joining in to eagerly wait... :)

biksonije 9th February 2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quintosardo (Post 13747417)
You know I'm slow. But that's simply because nothing comes out if it doesn't "click" for me. It is "clicking" ;)

While we are at it: any special request while we are closing the code? Autogain is already there ;)

Let me know here or in the relevant post on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/sknote.it/

I have two questions since you said we could make some sort of requests:

- is it possible having some kind of "auto listening" mode on selected Band or HP, LP (like FabFilter as an example)? Like on a Command or Option Click? If I missed that somehow I apologize...

- is it possible having visual readout of IN/OUT signal (well, also like FF has it in 3 distinct color shading)? Some metering type like precise metering (vertical probably, right hand maybe)?

Are Filter Menus (active one like in video?) in some work in progress stage as seen in video? Will GR, levels and all visuals stay this way? I really love simple design so I'm really looking forward in some aestethetic but precise metering in fine and precise visual presentation. It's not of outmost importance but would be good to have visual representation.

Well, thank you for your patience and reading this post!

Best regards!

Krešo

Deleted e71ab78 7th May 2019 02:53 AM

Any word?

bgood 7th May 2019 05:18 AM

Another coming soon... meanwhile five months later sknote thread... seriously... what is happening here?

quintosardo 21st June 2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deleted e71ab78 (Post 13791095)
When will this drop? It looks great.. How is it on the cpu/latency Quinto?

And after a few months, here we go. Going to beta next week. Sseriously something new :D

CPU load is extremely low.
No added latency.

Inter-band dynamics and inter-track dynamics, together with spectrum matching/carving and the new super-simple preset management system and the preset comparison slots make it sooo interesting.

quintosardo 21st June 2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biksonije (Post 13800052)
I have two questions since you said we could make some sort of requests:

- is it possible having some kind of "auto listening" mode on selected Band or HP, LP (like FabFilter as an example)? Like on a Command or Option Click? ...

Sure!

Quote:

- is it possible having visual readout of IN/OUT signal (well, also like FF has it in 3 distinct color shading)? Some metering type like precise metering (vertical probably, right hand maybe)?

Krešo

Sure, currently scaling the meters.
Also the non-linear analyser is a joy. No crazy high resolution on high freqs (where it is not useful) and low res on low frequency range (where it really matters). Log scale analysis, cross-track analysis, auto Match/Carve/Flatten with dynamics. Still simple.

Quote:

Are Filter Menus (active one like in video?) in some work in progress stage as seen in video? Will GR, levels and all visuals stay this way? I really love simple design so I'm really looking forward in some aestethetic but precise metering in fine and precise visual presentation. It's not of outmost importance but would be good to have visual representation.

Krešo

Sure, that is an old video ;)

Karloff70 21st June 2019 09:59 PM

Any idea when this will be ready to buy yet?

Notheorem729 23rd June 2019 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quintosardo (Post 14052536)
And after a few months, here we go. Going to beta next week. Sseriously something new :D

CPU load is extremely low.
No added latency.

Inter-band dynamics and inter-track dynamics, together with spectrum matching/carving and the new super-simple preset management system and the preset comparison slots make it sooo interesting.

Will it have upwards/downwards compression as well as upwards/downwards expansion or just downwards compression and upwards expansion?

quintosardo 23rd June 2019 10:08 AM

Last tests and tuning. One or two weeks, I hope.

Yes, detecfor and target are unlinked, so you can program any action, including range of action.

I'm currently sorking on a set of quick templates, load and fine tune in few seconds.

quintosardo 29th June 2019 01:13 PM

Here we go with something interesting (I believe).

We used several instances of MainEQ to show a couple of its uses:

- Spectral "massaging".
- Inter-track ducking.

The aim here is to give body and clarity and make room for vocals, in the most possible transparent way.

The video shows the instances in action, the tutorial explains a bit further.

The tutorial is here:

https://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index...om-for-vocals/

(Thanks Ron Marinelli for the project. Many more examples coming on this one).