Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/)
-   -   Bass drowning out music (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1237599-bass-drowning-out-music.html)

Jacob Fidd 10th November 2018 03:56 AM

Bass drowning out music

I’m the sound tech at my high school. We have a Allen and Heath GL24000. For our play I am playing music during the intermission. I am playing it from a laptop through an aux cord. It has never really played well with stero tracks but this year everything is getting drownd out by the baseline. I am wondering if there is anyway to fix this. Thanks.

MisterCrayle 10th November 2018 04:18 AM

Is there an EQ on the master track?

If not, whatever music player you're using to play the music should have its own equalization settings so maybe turn down the lows? lol

MixedSignals 10th November 2018 04:28 PM

Yeah, High School is tough.
First thought is if it's bass, make sure the channels on the mixer you are feeding the stereo signal into are panned full left and right, respectively.

Good luck with her!

Deleted c0657d7 10th November 2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Fidd (Post 13621931)
I’m the sound tech at my high school. We have a Allen and Heath GL24000. For our play I am playing music during the intermission. I am playing it from a laptop through an aux cord. It has never really played well with stero tracks but this year everything is getting drownd out by the baseline. I am wondering if there is anyway to fix this. Thanks.

What do you mean by everything in "everything is getting drowned out by....."?
Is the music you're playing, commercial tracks or your own mixes?

Anyway, bass drowning out other elements in a mix sounds like a badly set limiter or compressor.

Wyllys 10th November 2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Fidd (Post 13621931)

What is an "aux cord"? What input(s) are you using on the GL?

The best bet is that the stereo signal is getting combined into mono from either the cable you're using or within the GL and cancelling out most of the program information except the bass which is either mixed mono or panned center in the recording.

Proper connection from a laptop would be USB to an "AV" direct box, then to the board. Peavey USB-P is what most folks use. No need for a special driver...plug and play.

Jacob Fidd 11th November 2018 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyllys (Post 13622973)
What is an "aux cord"? What input(s) are you using on the GL?

The best bet is that the stereo signal is getting combined into mono from either the cable you're using or within the GL and cancelling out most of the program information except the bass which is either mixed mono or panned center in the recording.

Proper connection from a laptop would be USB to an "AV" direct box, then to the board. Peavey USB-P is what most folks use. No need for a special driver...plug and play.

By aux cord I mean the cords that you would use in your car. I figured that the issuse was that it was converting a stero track into mono, but my director insists that it’s a stero system. Thanks for the part recommendation I’ll see if it will help.

Jacob Fidd 11th November 2018 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodba (Post 13622957)
What do you mean by everything in "everything is getting drowned out by....."?
Is the music you're playing, commercial tracks or your own mixes?

Anyway, bass drowning out other elements in a mix sounds like a badly set limiter or compressor.

We are playing commercial tracks, mostly of of YouTube.

Jacob Fidd 11th November 2018 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCrayle (Post 13621953)
Is there an EQ on the master track?

If not, whatever music player you're using to play the music should have its own equalization settings so maybe turn down the lows? lol

I’m just playing music off of YouTube from a laptop.

Jacob Fidd 11th November 2018 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixedSignals (Post 13622589)
Yeah, High School is tough.
First thought is if it's bass, make sure the channels on the mixer you are feeding the stereo signal into are panned full left and right, respectively.

Good luck with her!

Thanks. We have it only feeding into one channel. I figured that it should be two, but I’m not the one that set up the system.

vitocorleone123 11th November 2018 05:51 PM

YouTube video sound may be bassy, but I bet it's more likely it's the PA system emphasizing the bass. Perhaps try an EQ (or EQ app) on the laptop and create a curve or shelf for the bass to reduce it? Oh, and if it is stereo>mono, that could be emphasizing the bass as well, depending on the source, how it's mixed, and how it's compressed for online streaming.

stella645 11th November 2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Fidd (Post 13623433)
Thanks. We have it only feeding into one channel. I figured that it should be two, but I’m not the one that set up the system.

That would depend if the one channel is a mono or stereo channel.
How many plugs are on the mixer end of cable...is it a splitter cable?

Quote:

I figured that the issuse was that it was converting a stero track into mono, but my director insists that it’s a stero system.
It may be a stereo system but that doesn't mean you can't mess up the connections to turn stereo to mono.

Jacob Fidd 13th November 2018 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stella645 (Post 13624812)
That would depend if the one channel is a mono or stereo channel.
How many plugs are on the mixer end of cable...is it a splitter cable?

It isn’t a splitter cable. And it is a mono channel.

Noisewagon 13th November 2018 02:33 AM

If the bass is drowning out the mix, pull the channel that says "bass" down on the mixer. :facepalm:

Wyllys 13th November 2018 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Fidd (Post 13623425)
By aux cord I mean the cords that you would use in your car. I figured that the issuse was that it was converting a stero track into mono, but my director insists that it’s a stero system. Thanks for the part recommendation I’ll see if it will help.

Your director is an idiot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Fidd (Post 13623433)

You are correct, but you'll need the proper cabling. Sound System Interconnection

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Fidd (Post 13623430)
I’m just playing music off of YouTube from a laptop.

Technically, it's not legal to do that...