Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1237346-universal-audio-releases-ams-neve-dfc-channel-strip-plug.html)

The Press Desk 8th November 2018 02:09 AM

Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In
 
1 Attachment(s)

Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip

The AMS Neve Digital Film Console is the ultimate, purpose-built console for multi-format film dubbing and TV post production. Used to mix Oscar-winning soundtracks and countless hit TV shows, the AMS Neve DFC resides in the world’s leading post-production houses, most notably Skywalker Sound and Warner Bros. facilities. Available exclusively for UAD-2 and UA Audio Interfaces, the AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip plug-in offers access to the exact same DSP algorithms from the leading modern post-production console.


AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In — Key Features:
  • Access the sound of the AMS Neve Digital Film Console channel strip, the same used in the world's premier motion picture facilities
  • Four bands of fully parametric EQ, plus two bands of 4th-order filtering
  • Compressor, Limiter, Expander, Gate, and Dynamic EQ
Price: $299

For more information: AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio

Progmatic-Studios 8th November 2018 02:10 AM

UAD AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip
 
The AMS Neve® DFC (Digital Film Console) is the ultimate, purpose-built console for multi-format film dubbing and TV post production at the highest level. Used to mix Oscar-winning soundtracks and countless hit TV shows, the AMS Neve DFC resides in the world’s leading post-production houses, most notably Skywalker Sound and Warner Bros. facilities.

Available exclusively for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces, the AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip plug-in offers unprecedented access to the exact same DSP algorithms from the leading modern post production console.

AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio

rectifried 8th November 2018 05:46 AM

Funny area to get into
But why not ..digital console emu.. Weiss lexicon... ye ol digital is back

jm2c 8th November 2018 12:02 PM

IIUC this is not an emulation but the exact same DSP code from the neve desks running inside UAD DSP.

Looking forward to checking it out!

smoke 8th November 2018 03:28 PM

How many quads do you need to run one of these

Tapwatr 8th November 2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke (Post 13618603)
How many quads do you need to run one of these

Mono and Stereo instnaces are essentially the same at roughly 19% so with my Quad Apollo I should get close to 20 instances. I don't see any mention of 5.1/7.1 instances. If they're going after post mixers they should have at least those two.

smoke 8th November 2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapwatr (Post 13618611)
Mono and Stereo instnaces are essentially the same at roughly 19% so with my Quad Apollo I should get close to 20 instances. I don't see any mention of 5.1/7.1 instances. If they're going after post mixers they should have at least those two.

thats actually not bad. thats better than the Neve 88RS strip.

Considering you don't want to just use channel strips, but you may have a an amp or other things running on the card.

smoke 8th November 2018 03:57 PM

This is actually an impressive strip once you look closely at the details of what it can do.

Very tempting to just go all in on it.

jm2c 8th November 2018 04:05 PM

I am happy this kind of stuff is coming to the UAD. My bases are kinda covered with the existing "mojo" strips as it is.

20 channels on a quad = acceptable for my modest needs

Universal Audio 8th November 2018 04:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, this is our most full featured channelstrip and it sounds REALLY good. The compression in particular is VERY transparent and smooth.

smoke 8th November 2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Universal Audio (Post 13618692)
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, this is our most full featured channelstrip and it sounds REALLY good. The compression in particular is VERY transparent and smooth.

whenever I need to demo these things I take too long to finish a song and the 2 weeks is over. Demo over and replace it and song falls down.

Happens every time.

Tapwatr 8th November 2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Universal Audio (Post 13618692)
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, this is our most full featured channelstrip and it sounds REALLY good. The compression in particular is VERY transparent and smooth.

I'm looking forward to testing it out. Is it availble as 5.1 instances, and if not, are there plans for? It would be very useful for me and most other tv/film mixers.

Universal Audio 8th November 2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapwatr (Post 13618815)
I'm looking forward to testing it out. Is it availble as 5.1 instances, and if not, are there plans for? It would be very useful for me and most other tv/film mixers.

This handled by you DAW. For example, in Pro Tools you'd use a multi-mono instantiation.

Tapwatr 8th November 2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Universal Audio (Post 13619138)
This handled by you DAW. For example, in Pro Tools you'd use a multi-mono instantiation.

Yes, i'm aware of multi-mono. I'ts not a deal breaker but I just prefer being able to see all of the visual info, especially for dynamics, on the plug in without having to change which channel I'm viewing.

Flippy Floppy 9th November 2018 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapwatr (Post 13618611)
Mono and Stereo instnaces are essentially the same at roughly 19% so with my Quad Apollo I should get close to 20 instances. I don't see any mention of 5.1/7.1 instances. If they're going after post mixers they should have at least those two.

Can’t you just insert a multimono instance of the plugin on a 7.1 channel in Pro Tools?

EDIT. Ahh. Just noticed it was brought up.

njv 9th November 2018 09:16 AM

First impression: Ugliest interface with the sweetest sound. Very smooth sounding.

Now I’m torn as I was just about to dump my uad set up completely. Dam you UAD!!! Lol

Can I get some discount if I buy a 16x ? ;)

~ufo~ 9th November 2018 09:30 AM

Does the DFC (the console, not the plug-in) support multichannel side-chains?
Because Pro Tools at this time does not.
This could limit functionality, regardless of the issue whether ADC on sidechains works (it does in some situations).

Another thing to consider is that multi mono instances may not yield the same results as a multichannel instance.

smackmastering 9th November 2018 05:22 PM

Don't be fooled by the name. Though it maybe Neve's Digital Film Console CS, it sounds great as a normal CS for mixing. Just ran the demo though some tracks and it sounds great. Very easy to get the sound i wanted.

smoke 9th November 2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njv (Post 13620197)
First impression: Ugliest interface with the sweetest sound. Very smooth sounding.

Now I’m torn as I was just about to dump my uad set up completely. Dam you UAD!!! Lol

Can I get some discount if I buy a 16x ? ;)

I like the interface, it looks old school.

To your second point. LOL

I don't really have $300 to spend, but I'm going to dig into my couch and see what I find.

Flippy Floppy 9th November 2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackmastering (Post 13620923)
Don't be fooled by the name. Though it maybe Neve's Digital Film Console CS, it sounds great as a normal CS for mixing. Just ran the demo though some tracks and it sounds great. Very easy to get the sound i wanted.

I agree! The original console was never an interest to me. I just tried out the demo for the hell of it. It is amazing at dialing in sounds. Seems to retain transients really well!

Universal Audio 9th November 2018 06:11 PM

People don't know or forget just how long Neve has been doing digital! :)

smackmastering 9th November 2018 08:19 PM

One other thing to point out, its really not bad on the DSP.
I have LoadLock off. Running 4 mono and 1 Stereo plugins with EQ, Filters, and Compressors on all 5 tracks. My DSP is at 23% for a 44.1KHz session on a Quad.

smoke 9th November 2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackmastering (Post 13621274)
One other thing to point out, its really not bad on the DSP.
I have LoadLock off. Running 4 mono and 1 Stereo plugins with EQ, Filters, and Compressors on all 5 tracks. My DSP is at 23% for a 44.1KHz session on a Quad.

Love it. Thats great news.

I needed an EQ anyways, so this may be it. I take it, that the EQ is very clean for surgical use?

This looks good for mastering as well.

Universal Audio 9th November 2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke (Post 13621425)
I take it, that the EQ is very clean for surgical use?

This looks good for mastering as well.

Yes and yes. :)

smackmastering 9th November 2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke (Post 13621425)
Love it. Thats great news.

I take it, that the EQ is very clean for surgical use?

This looks good for mastering as well.

Totally see this as a good mastering tool. Its very clean CS. I would put this is the same regard as the Oxford EQ and Dynamics, both are very high quality digital processing from digital boards.

I havent found any source that this strip cant handle. This is going to be one of those UAD gems.

MarsBot 10th November 2018 06:07 AM

This is a great EQ and filter. I like the compressor too. This may be my favorite UAD channel strip so far. I often need my UAD processors to provide a very good neutral EQ/Comp combination to reduce CPU load on my computer. I was hoping something like this would come along. Just finished a tune using lots of instances of this today and it sounded great. Also, the GUI may be ugly but it's very well designed. It's quick and easy to use.

Universal Audio 10th November 2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarsBot (Post 13622037)
This is a great EQ and filter. I like the compressor too. This may be my favorite UAD channel strip so far. I often need my UAD processors to provide a very good neutral EQ/Comp combination to reduce CPU load on my computer. I was hoping something like this would come along. Just finished a tune using lots of instances of this today and it sounded great. Also, the GUI may be ugly but it's very well designed. It's quick and easy to use.

Excellent! Glad to hear it and thanks for the report.

r.staettler 10th November 2018 01:14 PM

Now it just needs to play well with the Softube Console 1 :)

jm2c 10th November 2018 01:41 PM

I'm thinking this might be a really good UAD console CS, for doing all the usual "cleanup/fixing" already on the way in. Would save tons of time during mixing

hearteh 13th November 2018 11:48 AM

Just a question. Are these DSP algorithms from 1996?