Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Uad Apollo x16 vs Apogee Symphony mk2 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1237264-uad-apollo-x16-vs-apogee-symphony-mk2.html)

Chiwale 1005 7th November 2018 12:47 PM

Uad Apollo x16 vs Apogee Symphony mk2

Has anyone compared the converters on these units, how does the new Apollo x16 stack up against the Symphony mk2?

chromie 24th November 2018 12:03 PM

i would also like to know this!

nyandres 26th November 2018 06:27 AM

APOGEE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Seriously though. Unless you want the UAD workflow, the APOGEE is in another league sound quality wise.. both can give you pro results though. (there are tons of billboard hits with far less optimal converters, and these two are excellent)

chromie 27th November 2018 08:52 AM

have you tried both side by side?

nyandres 27th November 2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromie (Post 13655458)
have you tried both side by side?

Yes... never been impressed by uad interfaces sonically.

Rodney D 19th February 2019 03:22 AM

I have the Apollo 8 blackface and the New Apollo X16. The New Apollo X16 is a totally different beast from all the previous generation Apollo’s. The conversion is on another level. Before I purchased it I was in Vintage King here in Nashville TN. My salesman told me here heard the Apollo X16 up against the Symphony & Antelope. He swears it’s right there with them. I’ve never heard Symphony or Antelope for myself but I can tell you the X16 that’s high quality. I’m glad I bought it.

R3KMUSIC 20th September 2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodney D (Post 13820624)
My salesman told me here heard the Apollo X16 up against the Symphony & Antelope. He swears it’s right there with them. I’ve never heard Symphony or Antelope for myself but I can tell you the X16 that’s high quality. I’m glad I bought it.

Sounds like something a salesman would say :lol:

Any other x16 Users that can comment on conversion quality compared to Symphony or Aurora Lynx (N)?

I have the x16 as my dedicated 16 Channel interface for my summing mixer. The sonics do not blow me away per se. Especially on the D/A side for mastering purposes.

I will confirm it is a major step up from the blackface models.

LettingDaysGoBy 21st September 2019 04:39 AM

This is gearslutz. Buy both. :lol:

I personally would buy 2 x Apollo 16 to solve my specific problems so I can use UAD Console 2.0 hardware monitoring and plugin support because that fits my needs and workflow which I would like to use as a digital mixer for hardware synths. I was very close to doing this with the Apollo 16mkII when they were closing out for $1800. The conversion difference between and Apogee and the Apollo 16 didn't even factor as an issue for my use case. I currently have an Symphony 8x8 mk1, which of course, has perfectly outstanding conversion which I never think about.