Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   What happened to Karma Microphones? Makers of the K-micro (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/1232037-what-happened-karma-microphones-makers-k-micro.html)

iamdro 25th September 2018 09:17 PM

What happened to Karma Microphones? Makers of the K-micro

I never ended up buying a pair of the k-mico's but always wanted to. While searching I've found tons of info here on them, from how a matched pair was $30 to 7 mics for $79. It seems their URL doesn't work anymore, no one is selling their mics, and no one has talked about them going out of business. Does anyone have any info on them? Are they still making mics? If not, any alternatives to bang for the buck cheap Chinese condenser mics (like 7 for $80?)

Jaked4ge 26th September 2018 12:58 PM

They simply went out of business. I don't think there was enough demand for their mics. You can find them on Reverb and Ebay if you keep searching but they usually get snatched up pretty quick. I always loved the look of the K6!

Jaked4ge 26th September 2018 01:02 PM

As far as 7 mics for $80... I don't think that you'll find that kind of deal again. However, look on Thomann US. They have decent SDCs for a good price.

heva 26th September 2018 08:17 PM

Fame Micro Mic Set 7 Small Membrane Microphones

OHM GHOST 27th September 2018 02:48 AM

I have the K58,their top of the line tube, one of my favorite mics.
They never seemed to know how to market their products. Good little company.

DrAlienSmith 19th October 2018 01:27 PM

I had one of their LDC mics, can't remember the model but the body was covered with a black velvet type of material, amazing to touch. It was always a talking point for singers who I used it on. The mic itself was pretty bright so I ended up selling it.

Alsongs 20th October 2018 06:23 PM

I have a Karma ribbon that I had modded by Clarence Kane. It too has the velvety stuff on the body, and sounds great with the ENAK mods. I think I bought it when they first came out for $99.00.

terryaudio 11th November 2018 06:13 AM

Way back, I was a wee lad.

I had one of the tube condensers.

Changed a few caps to help it out.

Loved it. It lived on kick drum and as piano room mic.

keithp777 20th January 2019 06:01 AM

I still have one of the K-35 mics. It has a typical cheap LDC peak, but it also seems to benefit from a bit of self-harmonics from that huge enclosure. It gives it a sound all it's own, and it is my most borrowed mic. As a matter of fact, she's out right now. Just recorded lead vocals on this album:
Google Play Music

Check out- Your Breakers Roll (Psalm of Blues)

Unique sounding mic.

drybones 24th February 2019 11:57 PM

ENAK rocks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alsongs (Post 13582175)
I have a Karma ribbon that I had modded by Clarence Kane. It too has the velvety stuff on the body, and sounds great with the ENAK mods. I think I bought it when they first came out for $99.00.

I lover Clarence. He has restored or rebuilt over 10 ribbon mics for me, mostly RCA mics. He completely restored a 1930's Bruno I got at an estate sale. It now looks brand new. All his tools are RCA standards and his ribbons are all NOS RCA ribbon stock he got when RCA sold him the ribbon reparation business. Clarence is a special guy. I have known him over 30 years and respect him tremendously. He has taught me a lot over the years and always puts me to work when I visit his shop in Pittman, NJ!

gravyface 25th February 2019 04:35 AM

I had their K-Micro Silver Bullet omnis. Crazy tiny. Sounded ok for 30 bucks for the pair. Don’t miss them though.

wrgkmc 25th February 2019 08:00 PM

The K Micro were phantom powered condensers built into a XLR connector housing.

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...1jhet0uund.jpg

They sold for some insanely low price like $5 each for singles and something like $25 for matched pairs. You could save the extra $15 and simply buy singles because they were surely good enough to be a close enough match for stereo work.

I bought a pair as temporary overheads, and after testing them I wound up buying 6 more for a total of 8. Still have them too.

I tried them on several things including drums. The best use for them I found was as a Harp mic recording direct.
I was able to nail that classic 50/60's clean harp tone exceptionally well. I used one for recording a sax too. I rigged up a clip which would clip to the front of a sax and it worked like a champ. Haven't used the mics for too much more. I've mainly kept them in storage. Given the fact they typically sell for $20 each I could make a pretty good profit off them.

Bob Ross 29th April 2019 08:03 PM

I bought a matched pair [sic] of the K-Micros and mounted them in a Jecklin Disc array that's hanging from the studio ceiling. So it's there ready to go any time anyone wants an ambient stereo room mic.

In the four or five years since they've been up there I think they've been used once.

So I got my money's worth!