Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo-diaries-of-recording-studio-construction-projects/)
-   -   Semi-Pro Basement Studio Build (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo-diaries-of-recording-studio-construction-projects/1231833-semi-pro-basement-studio-build.html)

jakezap 24th September 2018 02:36 AM

Semi-Pro Basement Studio Build

6 Attachment(s)
Hello there fellow sluterz.

I’ve got a lot of great information from these studio-build forums in the past and now it’s time to share my own semi-pro studio build, and again, hopefully get some insights from everyone here.

A little about myself and the space I am building.

I work as a professional musician for a living. I play keyboards (primary instrument), bass and guitar. About 70% of my work is live performance with local/touring groups, theatres and things like that. The other 30% is studio stuff like recording (projects done in my studio for others or playing on others’ recordings/scoring/arranging/mixing/sound design etc.)

The studio, like I said, is going to be semi-pro. I’m willing to spend some money to make it a good room, but as I stated before, only around 30% of my work is done in the studio, so I’d like to keep the project costs below $10K if possible. I will be building this myself. I’m a fairly handy guy, plus, I have friends that work in construction and one that’s an electrician.

Onto the details of the space:
My family and I bought a house (we’ll be moving in a couple months) and the studio will be located in the basement. The room is 20’6” x 12’8” with a ceiling height of 7’6”. The bedrooms and the studio are as far apart in the house as possible, so big plus there already. 3 of the 4 walls are exterior walls (poured concrete foundation), and I’ll be putting up a 4th wall to separate the studio space from the rest of the basement. The previous owner has framed the walls of the basement as follows: Concrete >> Wood frame >> Insulation >> Vapour Barrier >> 1 Layer of Drywall.

Things I plan on doing to build the studio:
1. Build a double wall with air gap as the fourth wall with door.
2. Frame the floor and fill with Roxul, then plywood, then flooring.
3. Run 2 15 Amp lines for gear. There’s already a line that’s wired to receptacles (for the studio part of the basement) on 1 breaker and one for all the basement lights on another breaker. So all in total will be 3 15 AMP lines and 1 for lights.
4. Make a vent silencer for the vent
5. Making a 1 to 2 foot, floor to ceiling super chunk bass trap at the front of the room and corner bass traps and the back.

Things I’m still trying to figure out:
1. Ceiling treatment
Option 1:
2 Layers of hard insulation caulked with green glue, then Roxul, then couple layers of drywall caulked with green glue.
Option 2:
2 Layers of hard insulation caulked with green glue, then Roxul, then resistant channel with drywall.

2. Wall treatment
This is what I’m really struggling with. I’ve seen people do many different things between gearlutz forums, other forums and chatting to a bunch of people.
I’m assuming because 3 of the 4 walls are the exterior walls, putting reliant channel on them would be overkill. I’d like to keep what the previous owner has already done, which is Wood frame >> Insulation >> Vapour Barrier >> 1 Layer of Drywall.
So maybe I just put up another 2 layers of drywall with green glue in between.

I should say that the isolation (in terms of sound leaving the studio) I’m looking for should be decent, however:
- I’ll be doing most of the work during the day when the kids are at school.
- Drums/loud guitars (which I don’t do very often) will be done in the garage and again when the kids are at school.
- I’d like to be able to mix at a low to medium volume in the evening. If I can record/play acoustic guitar in the studio without waking my family, then that would be sufficient isolation.

Sorry for the life story there. I'd like to have it all planned out as much as I can before I start the build, which won't be for a couple months anyway.

I've included some rough layouts. Won't be able to post any pics of the space until we get the house but I did include pics of a keyboard case I made and some bass traps.

Looking forward to sharing the build. rockout

jakezap 24th September 2018 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this on another thread.
Feeling like this might be my option for wall/ceiling treatment.

jakezap 20th June 2019 04:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So I decided to let a professional do the plans for the studio. I hired John H. Brandt to make the plans for me. The space is nearly clear of house things and ready for the build. This will be a somewhat slow process for me as I want to make sure I build it right. I will be building between gigging and trying working around the kiddies nap schedule, but nevertheless excited about all of it no matter how slow. Here are pics of the future studio room.

mrand 16th July 2019 02:52 AM

Interested to see how you decide to do the ceiling. I've got a space I'm looking to convert with a 7'8" ceiling. I was thinking to keep it soft, using just roxul, held up with fabric and a net.

jakezap 28th July 2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrand (Post 14097614)
Interested to see how you decide to do the ceiling. I've got a space I'm looking to convert with a 7'8" ceiling. I was thinking to keep it soft, using just roxul, held up with fabric and a net.

My ceiling is actually just over 9'. The original measurement of 7'8" was floor to joists, but from the floor of the basement to the next floor above is actually around 9' 4".

2 layers of drywall with backer rod and caulk, then underneath that will be roxul. That's how John wants me to do it.