Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   iZotope Releases RX 7 - Makes Audio Repair Easier for Musicians (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1230676-izotope-releases-rx-7-makes-audio-repair-easier-musicians.html)

The Press Desk 13th September 2018 07:43 PM

iZotope Releases RX 7 - Makes Audio Repair Easier for Musicians

1 Attachment(s)

iZotope releases RX 7 - Makes Audio Repair Easier for Musicians

iZotope’s New RX 7 Makes Audio Repair Easier for Musicians - New features powered by machine learning, like Music Rebalance and Repair Assistant, open up creative possibilities in music production.

iZotope, Inc., the experts in intelligent audio technology, today released updates to the RX family of audio repair and enhancement software.

The seventh generation of RX builds on years of extensive research in digital signal processing and machine learning. Where RX 7 Advanced and the RX Post Production Suite focus on the needs of audio post professionals, RX 7 Standard and RX Elements solve common (and uncommon) audio issues faced by musicians.

RX 7 Standard Key Features

The updates in version 7 represent the latest advances in iZotope’s assistive audio technology, helping musicians speed past mundane tasks so they can focus on creative work. Highlights include:

Repair Assistant
This industry-first intelligent repair tool analyzes audio to detect noise, clipping, clicks, and more, then offers three processing suggestions at three different intensities to help make fixes faster than ever.

Music Rebalance
Using an algorithm trained with machine learning, Music Rebalance performs source separation by intelligently identifying vocals, bass, percussion, and other instruments. A user can then individually enhance elements of a stereo audio track, making it possible to adjust a mix without multitracks.

Remove/Isolate Vocals
Create instrumental versions of songs by removing the vocal elements, or isolate the vocal to prepare a remix without having access to individual tracks or stems.

RX Elements Key Feature
RX Elements has also been updated with a streamlined version of Repair Assistant, offering a single repair suggestion with a choice of three intensity levels.

“With so many of us at iZotope musicians ourselves, we know too well how wrestling with audio problems can ruin a creative moment,” comments Gerry Caron, iZotope’s Chief Product Officer. “With features like Repair Assistant, we’re removing that friction in the creative process—providing tools and insight to solve your problems without sacrificing the flexibility you need to make your own creative decisions.”

Availability & Pricing
RX 7 Standard and RX Elements are now available at iZotope and select retailers.

All new products are on sale now through October 31, 2018. Pricing details for new customers and upgrading customers can be found at: iZotope RX 7 Pricing and Upgrade Pricing

Owners of previous versions of RX can find their upgrade coupons in their iZotope account.

benoïde 13th September 2018 09:10 PM

Multitrack editing is very welcomed and the new separation functions look pretty cool too, nice update!

HappyBaby 14th September 2018 04:07 AM

Again! (Have to pay for an upgrade)
The upgrade looks great, and the new functions seems useful (I have to experiment).

Hey iZotope people, could you take example of other companies (like AcusticaAudio) who release free updates which are actually upgrades.
RX is great, but going back to the wallet every year or so to dig more is kind of a bummer.
I understand you have developers you need to pay, but the new features you are developing will bring more clients (ie: so why are you charging over and over the old clients?).

For those who have bought into RX, and paid many times upgrades, I have to express my feeling that it is not fair... Yes you don't have any obligation to upgrade, but when you invest for example in an expensive tool like RX Advanced, you expect to invest in one of the best tools available, and not be left along the side with every (yearly) updates.

RX is still a great product, and will remain used frequently here.

horseface 14th September 2018 03:21 PM

I think that every software upgrade should be free and that the developers who worked late into the night for months on end to make it happen shouldn't be paid.

boing

bmanic 14th September 2018 04:38 PM

It's rather simple. If you need a feature that came with the update, you pay. If not.. you don't. I've only updated RX Advanced once since I got it at version 3.0. I'm now on RX Advanced 6 and definitely not planning on upgrading to RX 7 (nothing of use for me. New features are mainly window dressing or "helpers" or something I don't need for work at all).

RX Advanced is amazing software for sure but iZotope as a company leaves a lot to be desired. It took them YEARS to implement basic usability features for RX and when they did, they magically appeared in the latest version instead of simple point fixes. So yeah, I'm consciously avoiding giving iZotope any extra money and scrutinize their every single release very carefully. It's completely their business handling customers any way they want but there are definitely consequences.

HappyBaby 14th September 2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseface (Post 13518416)
I think that every software upgrade should be free and that the developers who worked late into the night for months on end to make it happen shouldn't be paid.

boing

I have to agree with you and I am sure iZotope does incur a lost of cost when developing new versions of RX, but still I think that a middle ground path should be found in the future, for everyone's best interest.

Free updates is a good practice followed by many companies. It makes the clients happy, a factor not to be neglected when considering all aspects of a business.

Maybe the price to upgrade should not be as steep as it is. Especially that there is no differentiation between if you are running the previous latest version, or 3 versions before. For someone running RX Advanced and upgrading at every version, this platform is becoming very costly.

JC Biffro 14th September 2018 07:37 PM

Hopefully they'll update their Music Production Suite to include this version. rockout

MPS has RX6 bundled atm.

Music Production Suite

Lesha 15th September 2018 01:17 AM

Updates should be at least 50% cheaper than they are now.

Cabirio 15th September 2018 10:49 AM

As far as I can tell, what I would get for $149 to upgrade from RX6 std to RX7 std, apart from a handful of "improvements" to things I already have, is:

- Music rebalance
- Variable time
- Repair assistant

So, the question is: would I pay $149 for a plugin that did only those three things? On paper I would say nope, and I was all set for getting into the usual iZotope-upgrade-outrage mode, but I've been checking out some Music rebalance videos, and, man, that thing is impressive... It comes at the right time too because I've been given an ancient tape recording of a live performance to clean up and, noise and EQ issues aside, the mix is allover the place, so this might be just the ticket.

Demoing soon...

Squeegee 303 15th September 2018 11:47 AM

I’ll demo RX7, but because already I own RX6 and Audionamix XTRAX Stems and TRAX, I don’t think it will be worth buying unless RX7’s music rebalance feature is better than that of XTRAX Stems.
I doubt that the Repair Assistant and Variable Time features alone are worth $149.

Cabirio 15th September 2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 (Post 13519966)
...Audionamix XTRAX Stems...

Thanks for bringing this one up, I didn't know about it. At $99 it would certainly be a good alternative to consider, although it gives 3 stems vs. 4 (bass and music are not separated).

Can you not demo it? I don't find the option.

Sorry for the off topic!

Squeegee 303 15th September 2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabirio (Post 13519990)
Thanks for bringing this one up, I didn't know about it. At $99 it would certainly be a good alternative to consider, although it gives 3 stems vs. 4 (bass and music are not separated).

Can you not demo it? I don't find the option.

Sorry for the off topic!

Audionamix is weird that way—no demo that I know of. I believe I have seen it occasionally go on sale for less than $99. I will need to compare it to a demo of RX7. XTRAX, like any music separation software, leaves a lot of artifacts.

RJHollins 15th September 2018 05:40 PM

Question for the group ...

Can RX-7 co-exist with a previous RX install ?

What about the VST plugins ?

CHAOS 15th September 2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJHollins (Post 13520379)

In the past they have coexisted fine as they are named separately via their version number. The VST versions, I have had difficulty in my DAW, Nuendo 8. Needing a Izotope Connect plugin to do the processing. I have had to use it stand-alone just because of issues. Perhaps others can state on their use with other DAW's.

sardi 15th September 2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJHollins (Post 13520379)

Yes and yes.

Running the RX7 demo alongside my RX6 install.

Both the software and plugins have the number in the name so they don’t overwrite one another.

RJHollins 16th September 2018 06:25 AM

Thank-You.

Cabirio 16th September 2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAOS (Post 13520435)
I have had to use it stand-alone just because of issues. Perhaps others can state on their use with other DAW's.

I could never make the editor work through Connect in Studio One (whatever version was current when RX6 came out, W7 64bit), but tbh I gave up quickly because I didn't see much benefit to my workflow so I've never really tried again, I only use it standalone too. IIRC the issue was that when I tried to send a clip to the editor, it simply didn't open.

Ha! I tried again and this time when I open Connect it tells me "this host is unsupported". Quick google and it seems that it only works in some DAWs (sorry if this is old news, I wasn't aware): RX Connect Frequently Asked Questions | iZotope Knowledge Base

barryfell 16th September 2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benoïde (Post 13517296)
Multitrack editing is very welcomed and the new separation functions look pretty cool too, nice update!

I've found them to be very good. Best i've used to date, and in fact the first that has given me consistently useable results that aren't a mess of artifacts.

I'm actually quite blown away by how well i've been able to isolate or remove vocals, and the drum removal is amazing. Even on full busy tracks it's removing them in a very clean way.

RX7, along with Accusonus Regroover, is a bit of a game changer for hip hop producers like me who like to flip old records. They are openening some incredible new opportunities for creative remixing. cooge

soulone82 16th September 2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryfell (Post 13521331)
They are openening some incredible new opportunities for creative remixing. cooge

kfhkh

Cabirio 17th September 2018 09:41 AM

Sold. Music Rebalance is amazing. A few notes:

- In Preview, with a Pentium G4560 I have to set the buffer (the + sign button next to Bypass) to 5s to have a comfortable margin before playback catches up with processing and you start getting glitches. And that's with the Joint channel algorithm, with Advanced I need even more. The heaviest processing seems to happen if you touch the "Other" stem, for some reason.

- If the bass is too quiet, separation from Other is hit and miss, some times impossible. But if it has a good level, it manages to separate it even when mixed with heavily distorted and bassy guitars (e.g. Joe Bonamassa's Lie #1 , obviously panning must help a lot here).

- The three separation algorithms do make a substantial difference in terms of quality and CPU. The same goes for Preview vs. rendering. I guess they had to do it this way for Preview to have a chance to work but it's a shame that you can't make adjustments in real time and hear exactly what you will hear when you render. Some back and forth to be expected.

- With a long buffer it takes as long for adjustments to take effect during Preview. At first I was wiggling the sliders like crazy thinking "this isn't working..." Be patient!

Other than that, it's spectacular. Removing or isolating completely one stem (fun to do when you're demoing it!) causes plenty of artifacts, especially with Percussion which gets very "phasey", so don't expect to be able to render the stems separately and remix from there (the dream, right? :)), but to make subtle adjustments to balance things better it works beautifully, and even to make a "karaoke" mix to sing/play over, where artifacts and complete removal aren't such an issue.

musicman691 17th September 2018 12:37 PM

ProTools users - be aware that apparently by design there is no 'Preview' button in the AudioSuite versions of Dialog Isolate, De-Rustle and Music Rebalance.

Cabirio 17th September 2018 02:48 PM

Quick heads-up I forgot before: I got an instant 5% discount coupon when I processed the order (6 std to 7 std upgrade), FYI.

HappyBaby 18th September 2018 03:10 PM

The new Dialogue De-reverb module is much much more successful at removing room sound from speeches than the De-reverb module (already present in RX6).
It is not a small difference. :) Very useful.

Roloalcien 18th September 2018 09:51 PM

Am I the only one who dislikes the repair assistant?, I think it´s so easy to use now that many people are not going to hire an audio expert for certain projects. I think this version is cool but I´m gonna stay with the RX6 advanced version, this upgrading thing year by year is costing a lot, maybe I´ll wait till they release RX8

GrimJam 19th September 2018 04:39 PM

With Music Rebalance, has anyone noticed a difference in processing between older and newer material?

For example, one of the first things I did was, naturally, to call up some Beatles songs and isolate the vocals. Turns out the high voices behind I am the Walrus were indeed saying "Everybody's got one" and not "Everybody smoke pot". hooppie

It did a great job, but I've been far more impressed with its isolation and rebalancing of 90s/00s mixes.

It's interesting considering how older mixes are often so hard-panned that you can isolate the vocals yourself, but then again, I guess most people will be using this on modern mixes, so it's probably fair that iZotope pointed their neural networks in that particular direction.

luke_maple1 20th September 2018 11:54 AM

I am a Music Production Suite owner, seeing lots of upgrade options for plug-in pack and elements to RX7 standard but nothing for MPS or RX6 to RX7 owners. Anyone been able to upgrade RX6 standard to RX7 Standard?

Cabirio 20th September 2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luke_maple1 (Post 13527987)
Anyone been able to upgrade RX6 standard to RX7 Standard?

I did, it was in my upgrade list, $149 minus 5% that I got on check-out.

I can't remember for which plugin, but once I was also missing from my list the upgrade I wanted, I contacted them and they sorted it out very quickly.

musicman691 20th September 2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luke_maple1 (Post 13527987)
I am a Music Production Suite owner, seeing lots of upgrade options for plug-in pack and elements to RX7 standard but nothing for MPS or RX6 to RX7 owners. Anyone been able to upgrade RX6 standard to RX7 Standard?

Login to your iZotope account and click on the 'upgrades' tab in the left sidebar. There you'll see what upgrades you're eligible for. For me, being an rx6 owner the upgrade to rx7 is $149 USD

parricide 20th September 2018 12:17 PM

im curious how well it can isolate vocals. i have never seen an automated process do this well (in fact, not even a manual process 99% of the time), but izotope are constantly blowing my mind with their technologies

musicman691 20th September 2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parricide (Post 13528023)
im curious how well it can isolate vocals. i have never seen an automated process do this well (in fact, not even a manual process 99% of the time), but izotope are constantly blowing my mind with their technologies

This is probably one of those processes where it's better to do a little bit at a time. Something else I've found that in general when doing audio restoration work that the order of processes can make a heck of a difference in success. Going by that I would leave vocal isolation as the last process.