Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   12 in thunderbolt interface (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1230366-12-thunderbolt-interface.html)

Greg9961 11th September 2018 11:05 AM

12 in thunderbolt interface

I would like to take some recommendations on an audio interface.

I own a machinedrum (6 mono out) , digitakt (1 stereo) and an Access Virus (3 stereo out)

I only really need 2 stereo from the Virus, 6 mono from the Machinedrum and the Digitakt so that would be 12 inputs.

I am not that fussed about output but I do own a Mackie 12vlz

I would like to record all of these instruments at the same time to save all the overdubs so I guess I need a sound card with 12 mono in.

Could anyone recommend one? I used Logic Pro X with a 21.5-inch iMac 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5. I have the option of USB or Thunderbolt in.

I am hoping to get something for under £400.

Thank you

psycho_monkey 11th September 2018 12:36 PM

Under £400 possibly means USB connection - TB would generally cost more.

If you’re open to 2nd hand options you might be able to snag a bargain; new I’m not sure; maybe something from Focusrite or MoTU? You’d also probably be looking at a 16io interface, most would be 8 or 16 (give or take the odd digital input.

Greg9961 11th September 2018 03:23 PM

Thanks I will start looking into those. I am guessing most USB stuff now will be USB C, I dont think my mac has that.

Greg9961 11th September 2018 03:24 PM

Does anyone has experience of using a firewire to TB connection on these? I was looking at a MOTU 828 but was ensure since I cannot against that connector being great?

Greg9961 11th September 2018 03:37 PM

Bu the way, I am not interested in recording vocals or instruments at all.
Just synths.

Lady Gaia 11th September 2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg9961 (Post 13512937)
Does anyone has experience of using a firewire to TB connection on these? I was looking at a MOTU 828 but was ensure since I cannot against that connector being great?

It is not possible to adapt from a FireWire port to a Thunderbolt device. You can go the other way around (Thunderbolt port on a computer to a FireWire device) with an adapter, but it's a one-way conversion. Thunderbolt is a very general protocol, essentially equivalent to an externalized PCIe.

Disco1Disco2 11th September 2018 05:52 PM

The MOTU 16A is perfect for you, except for the price. I got a used 1248 (sells new for the same as the 16A) for US$1000. I don't think there is anything under that with that much line level i/o. I looked for a while.

psycho_monkey 12th September 2018 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg9961 (Post 13512937)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Gaia (Post 13513004)
It is not possible to adapt from a FireWire port to a Thunderbolt device. You can go the other way around (Thunderbolt port on a computer to a FireWire device) with an adapter, but it's a one-way conversion. Thunderbolt is a very general protocol, essentially equivalent to an externalized PCIe.

Yes TB is just a wrapper for a bunch of protocols - although in this case I think he's asking about the right way round - in theory a FW interface should work just fine on a TB equipped Mac.

BUT I'd never suggest buying one as a first choice.

USB-C interfaces are rare - most seem to be USB2 still. Aren't most USB-C devices backwards compatible too? I know my USB-C drives are.

Alndln 12th September 2018 03:14 AM

Either way the only 12 input interface I could find was the USB 2 Roland Studio Capture and that's nearly double his price ceiling. There is also the Behringer FA1616 which is FW/USB 2 and under his price ceiling of £400 but is discontinued. You can find them used as well. The only other cheap option for that amount of inputs is a USB Mixer by the likes of Alesis-Tascam-Behringer etc.