Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Apple Logic Pro (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/apple-logic-pro/)
-   -   Logic Pro 11 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/apple-logic-pro/1228706-logic-pro-11-a.html)

iamslim11 28th August 2018 02:42 AM

Logic Pro 11

When is Logic Pro 11 Coming? I am tired of waiting, Pro Tools Sucks Big Time:bumpkin:cowbell:

jwh1192 28th August 2018 05:21 PM

easy now i just bought LPX !! i would have to pay for it all over again i think if it is a Major Number release !!!

bace 28th August 2018 07:44 PM

Maybe something to launch when they release the new Mac Pro that is supposed to be ready in 2019.

ColinS 28th August 2018 09:23 PM

Don't even bother asking this question.

1 - Only Apple knows when future versions will be released.

2 - Perhaps the next version will be 10.5 and even 10.6 after that.

Advice:
Just buy Logic now. It's great value for money and you get to use it immediately.

Chris Brown 29th August 2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinS (Post 13490975)
Don't even bother asking this question.

1 - Only Apple knows when future versions will be released.

2 - Perhaps the next version will be 10.5 and even 10.6 after that.

Advice:
Just buy Logic now. It's great value for money and you get to use it immediately.

And if numbers are anything to actually go by, Apple have been obsessed with OSX (or 10) Since 2001, a good 17 years :facepalm: so...... there may still be a massive wait for OS11 or Logic 11, or Final Cut 11, or.... it may be right around the corner. abduction

littleeden 29th August 2018 01:08 PM

What, exactly, are you waiting for?

In other words, what do you think is going to be in 11 that you can't live without, and which isn't in 10?

And further to that, what makes you think it's going to be in 11?

Rufuss Sewell 31st August 2018 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamslim11 (Post 13489827)
When is Logic Pro 11 Coming? I am tired of waiting, Pro Tools Sucks Big Time:bumpkin:cowbell:

Logic is pretty much perfect now. And I think they transitioned to point releases rather than moving past X. They did the same with OSX as well.

It’s good because they don’t charge for point releases.

Rico Sergeant 31st August 2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell (Post 13494579)
Logic is pretty much perfect now.

Err, No it isn't, far from it.

Michaeltn86 31st August 2018 03:54 PM

I might be totally wrong but the price increase of their hw “hint” that there will be no X update in a near middle future. It d drive people mad.

At least the software update is being kept free (please read included in the hw price).

That said, I prefer this way I o paying software upgrade.

groovyomega 31st August 2018 04:49 PM

What do you miss in Logic Pro X?

nativeaudio 31st August 2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamslim11 (Post 13489827)
When is Logic Pro 11 Coming?

Apple seems to have different way of naming their updates than Emagic used to have. There many be many semi-major (not just fixes and minor stuff) coming before Logic 11: 10.5, 10.6, 10. 7.... maybe 10.10 and 10.11 too.
My guess is that they'll call it Logic 11 only if there a major redesign, like it was between Logic 9 and Logic 10.

It's probably a better solution to launch major new functions one at a time anyway - because major changes means new bugs and hiccups.

nativeaudio 31st August 2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovyomega (Post 13495274)
What do you miss in Logic Pro X?

This forum has *many* threads about that topic already. :)

groovyomega 31st August 2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nativeaudio (Post 13495535)
This forum has *many* threads about that topic already. :)

Sure, but my question was actually directed at the original poster. Especially with regard to Pro Tools.

skiff 3rd September 2019 02:09 AM

I pretty much wait to update my OS cause when it all works I stay put. Logic updates make you keep up. I dropped it after logic pro 9. Cubase is where I moved and haven't looked back. I am so impressed with midi and the way VIs play with each other in cubase. My stuff never sounded this good in logic.

Jay Asher 3rd September 2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant (Post 13494732)
Err, No it isn't, far from it.

Nor will it ever be. There’s no such thing as a perfect DAW and if there were, some chowderheads would still complain.

anp27 5th September 2019 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiff (Post 14180973)
I pretty much wait to update my OS cause when it all works I stay put. Logic updates make you keep up.

No idea what you're talking about. If you want to stay at a certain OS/Logic version you can go right ahead. I have friends still doing paid work using Logic 9 and they're perfectly happy. There's a video from 2017 of at least one song on the Calvin Harris "Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1" album showing him using Logic 9 to produce the track. So yeah. No one's pointing a gun to your head to update.

jason kalman 5th September 2019 01:38 AM

I don't think Logic 11 is coming anytime soon if ever. I think we'll continue to see incremental updates and eventually Logic will either go to a subscription plan (oh the horror) or Apple will drop the number designation and you'll just have Logic Pro.

Logic isn't perfect. For example finding track freeze is unnecessarily cumbersome. Still not sure how to edit clip gain and automation is finicky. Basically, the editing functions are not as crisp and sharp as they are in Pro Tools. Perhaps this is just a result of me not being a pro user of Logic. Can you get the same results in Logic as you can in Pro Tools, yes i imagine you can. Certainly the price of Pro Tools does not warrant the slight edge it has in editing over Logic. For me the reason I still stick with Pro Tools is that there isn't a native audio interface that can get .7ms of RTL that Pro Tools with HDX can get. Once there is such a beast, I will gladly jump off the Pro Tools subscription plan.

I think there are tons of ways Apple can improve Logic. I'd love to see Apple release their own Audio Interface that has Thunderbolt 3 and .7ms RTL or better. Of course it would have the tightest integration with Logic and would make Pro Tools irrelevant for me. Unfortunately I don't see Apple doing this and the closest we have to this are products from Apogee, UA and Focusrite. Sure there are other high end interfaces that have better conversion, Lynx comes to mind, but they still have higher latency than an HDX system and when you are tracking live audio, latency can be a killer. With the new Mac Pro around the corner, it seems PCIe has been given a new lease on life.

oceantracks 5th September 2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason kalman (Post 14185156)
I don't think Logic 11 is coming anytime soon if ever. I think we'll continue to see incremental updates and eventually Logic will either go to a subscription plan (oh the horror) or Apple will drop the number designation and you'll just have Logic Pro.

Logic isn't perfect. For example finding track freeze is unnecessary cumbersome. Still not sure how to edit clip gain and automation is finicky. Basically, the editing functions are not as crisp and sharp as they are in Pro Tools. Perhaps this is just a result of me not being a pro user of Logic. Can you get the same results in Logic as you can in Pro Tools, yes i imagine you can. Certainly the price of Pro Tools does not warrant the slight edge it has in editing over Logic. For me the reason I still stick with Pro Tools is that there isn't a native audio interface that can get .7ms of RTL that Pro Tools with HDX can get. Once there is such a beast, I will gladly jump off the Pro Tools subscription plan.

I think there are tons of ways Apple can improve Logic. I'd love to see Apple release their own Audio Interface that has Thunderbolt 3 and .7ms RTL or better. Of course it would have the tightest integration with Logic and would make Pro Tools irrelevant for me. Unfortunately I don't see Apple doing this and the closest we have to this are products from Apogee, UA and Focusrite. Sure there are other high end interfaces that have better conversion, Lynx comes to mind, but they still have higher latency than an HDX system and when you are tracking live audio, latency can be a killer. With the new Mac Pro around the corner, it seems PCIe has been given a new lease on life.

I went the UAD route and don't worry about latency anymore, been great!

jason kalman 5th September 2019 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 14185191)
I went the UAD route and don't worry about latency anymore, been great!

UA is a great option. I am not a fan of using the console though. I have a silver face Apollo and use it all the time with Logic. I upgraded to the TB3 card and it rocks. Latency without using the console hasn't been an issue since I don't track with plugins, but I do get around 8ms RTL at 32 buffer size which is rather high considering you can get 1.1ms RTL with a TB2 Apogee Ensemble. If only I could bring myself to use the console.

acidlab 5th September 2019 03:45 AM

I doubt Apple will go to a subscription model. They already have the perfect model. You need Apple hardware to run Logic, so they keep you in the ecosystem by upgrading your machine or buying a new one every 5 years give or take.
They’re App for iPad is also fantastic, again, you NEED their hardware to work in that ecosystem, but it works wonderfully.
A subscription model would be double dipping and they would lose customers to the next ‘IN’ daw, who doesn’t force you into a subscription model.

anp27 5th September 2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason kalman (Post 14185221)
UA is a great option. I am not a fan of using the console though.

I don't mind Console that much but I do wish Apple could integrate Universal Audio interfaces into the Mixer the same way they did with Apogee interfaces. Would love to be able to adjust everything just within Logic itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidlab (Post 14185322)
I doubt Apple will go to a subscription model. They already have the perfect model. You need Apple hardware to run Logic, so they keep you in the ecosystem by upgrading your machine or buying a new one every 5 years give or take.
They’re App for iPad is also fantastic, again, you NEED their hardware to work in that ecosystem, but it works wonderfully.
A subscription model would be double dipping and they would lose customers to the next ‘IN’ daw, who doesn’t force you into a subscription model.

I don't see Apple moving to a subscription model either. They're basically a trillion dollar company by now, they don't need to.

jason kalman 5th September 2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidlab (Post 14185322)

I agree, I just hope that it stays that way. Subscription plans only benefit the company and never the customer.

jason kalman 5th September 2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anp27 (Post 14185404)
I don't mind Console that much but I do wish Apple could integrate Universal Audio interfaces into the Mixer the same way they did with Apogee interfaces. Would love to be able to adjust everything just within Logic itself.

I don't see Apple moving to a subscription model either. They're basically a trillion dollar company by now, they don't need to.

Those that love UA, seem to move past the fact that you have to route your audio through the console rather than the host DAW. I wish there was a way you could get the same benefits that the console offers inside the host DAW. Maybe one day.

I agree that Apple moving to a subscription model would be foolish and would result in a loss of customers. It just seems all the big software companies are moving in that direction (Microsoft, Adobe, Pro Tools etc). I hope Apple resists the temptation.

ColinS 5th September 2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason kalman (Post 14186134)
I agree that Apple moving to a subscription model would be foolish and would result in a loss of customers. It just seems all the big software companies are moving in that direction (Microsoft, Adobe, Pro Tools etc). I hope Apple resists the temptation.

+1
Subscription schemes such as what Adobe introduced are blatant money-making schemes and are not customer-friendly.

I doubt Apple needs to do this.

ballsbillson 5th September 2019 10:33 PM

You know what I would like to see in Logic? Accurate and reliable audio editing!
Basic feature? Sure.
Broken feature? Sure is!

ProPower 6th September 2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason kalman (Post 14186134)
Those that love UA, seem to move past the fact that you have to route your audio through the console rather than the host DAW. I wish there was a way you could get the same benefits that the console offers inside the host DAW. Maybe one day.

Still epically in Beta but workable even now is Apogee with their FX rack in Logic. It is the closest to a super low latency, buffer independent, no second mixer, HDX like workflow (IMO). 0.3ms RTL at 96kHz (yes - really). Takes linking the plugin (Apogee FX rack) with the input channel in logic and hitting the DIRECT button. You get all the interface preamp controls, decent EQ and Comp for tracking (and mixing) that seamlessly transfers from FPGA on the interface when recording and back to the Native buffer when playing back - without the user doing anything other than hitting the REC button. Sends persist so time based FX stay in place (though they get the DAW buffer added in the headphones when recording). Hopefully this platform has a good future but it is way early to know.

I used PTHD for 12 years and HDX for 2 - this is the closest I have found to finally replacing them. BUT!!!! if I were making multiple HP mixes this would start to breakdown because at present this workflow only works when listening to the main output. For multiple low latency mixes its back to Apogees parallel mixer - like many other interfaces

PS - sure you can run Ensemble 96kHz 32 buffer at 1.2ms (used to be 1.1ms)- but so many plugins just won't run there. 96k, 128 is much better but RTL is 3.34ms - a world of difference for me from 0.35ms.

ProPower 6th September 2019 10:48 PM

What I would wish for in Logic 11 is a truly independent REC buffer. Only processes what is in the channel strip and pushes all sends and time based FX to the playback buffer. Even have a special category of plugins for REC only usage so that the buffer for these could be - how about - 4 samples at 44.1 - 0.5ms RTL (with A/D D/A). This is what is holding RTL hostage - the DAW - not the plugins :-). Presonus are closer to this than Logic but still have some issues.

monacos 7th September 2019 12:21 PM

I see three weaknesses in Logic today compare to modern production requirements :
- Audio edition and manipulation (samples, loops,...) which are awful compare to other DAWs, and EXS24 is so old now and the GUI is awful
- Rhythm creation and edition, the drummers were a nice addition but it's more a Garage Band feature...
- Live operations (clips, scenes,...)

monacos 7th September 2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinS (Post 14186787)
+1
Subscription schemes such as what Adobe introduced are blatant money-making schemes and are not customer-friendly.

I doubt Apple needs to do this.

Logic for Apple is an ultra ultra ultra small niche in their business, they could even give Logic for free when someone purchase a Mac, like Garage Band, so going sub for such tiny business is even not worth the time to think about it for them.
However, what they could do is to add, as an option, Logic in the Apple Music subscription package, with the possibility to publish your song directly in Apple Music for free...

By the way, I am an Adobe subscriber and I am vey happy, the cloud ecosystem is great value and works great for me

extralife 8th September 2019 02:20 PM

I just want a midi drum editor equal to or better than Cubase.