Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   MOTU Digital Performer (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/motu-digital-performer/)
-   -   What are you guys using for transport control? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/motu-digital-performer/1221964-what-you-guys-using-transport-control.html)

gradivus 3rd July 2018 01:54 PM

What are you guys using for transport control?

Trying to find something small, simple and affordable so I can remotely play, stop, record, rewind, etc. Would also be handy to record enable different tracks if possible when recording multiple passes of something. Something hardware based is preferred as my iPad is out of commission right now.

Maybe something like the PreSonus Faderport would be nice. Not sure if that works with DP, but I saw a few used ones around the web for under $100. Korg nano Kontrol looked a bit too cheap (build quality) and the horizontal form factor is not ideal for me, nor do I need all those faders and knobs. One slider or knob would be okay if I could map it to the headphone mix output.

thanks

KV626 17th July 2018 04:28 PM

I've been using a Shuttle Xpress for more than 10 years and it's still going strong :) I also use the Faderport 8 and PT Control (I'm on Pro Tools), but the Shuttle Xpress is still very useful. Simple and very handy.

ShuttleXpress – Contour Design

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/q...eExp-large.jpg

Acid Mitch 17th July 2018 04:52 PM

I just use the transport controls on my controller keyboard (Roland a800 pro).
You could use a wireless qwerty keyboard. Some are quite compact, cheap and you can wander around with them. That’s what I used to use.

gradivus 17th July 2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acid Mitch (Post 13423791)
I just use the transport controls on my controller keyboard (Roland a800 pro).
You could use a wireless qwerty keyboard. Some are quite compact, cheap and you can wander around with them. That’s what I used to use.

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning toward (bluetooth keyboard).

My MPK88 controls don't seem to work with DP unless there's something I've missed that makes it work right.

gradivus 17th July 2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KV626 (Post 13423750)
I've been using a Shuttle Xpress for more than 10 years and it's still going strong :) I also use the Faderport 8 and PT Control (I'm on Pro Tools), but the Shuttle Xpress is still very useful. Simple and very handy.

ShuttleXpress – Contour Design

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/q...eExp-large.jpg

Thanks man. Not sure if it will work with DP though. I didn't see a compatibility chart on the page or in the manual. DP doesn't seem to play as nice with controllers as other software. Kind of shocking since they were Mac-only for so long that they don't make (or partner with another company to make) a simple plug-and-play controller. Maybe there is one and I just haven't found it.

For now I just may hold off and use the bluetooth keyboard that comes with the new iMac and use a wired one when I'm at the helm. I know the hotkeys so well I don't even have to think about it.

EvilRoy 17th July 2018 05:54 PM

iPad-1. Garage sale find for $20. It can't do much any more, but it still runs "Daw Remote" as well as being wireless. Seriously handy when you're behind a drum kit and want to hit "Record". I imagine there's cheap/free software for anyone's phone also.

KV626 17th July 2018 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13423846)
Thanks man. Not sure if it will work with DP though. I didn't see a compatibility chart on the page or in the manual. DP doesn't seem to play as nice with controllers as other software. Kind of shocking since they were Mac-only for so long that they don't make (or partner with another company to make) a simple plug-and-play controller. Maybe there is one and I just haven't found it..

I should have mentioned that I have also worked with DP for years and yes, the Shuttle Xpress works just fine with it. Below is the Shuttle Settings window:

Deleted User 17th July 2018 06:42 PM

Shuttle Pro also works with DP ShuttlePRO v2 – Contour Design if you need more buttons.
Beauty is that buttons feed user configured key strokes to the app so you can make it what you want in combination with DP Commands. You can modify the provided templates.

gradivus 17th July 2018 08:11 PM

Thanks guys. That's a nice touch that they give you a template to print out your own labels. kfhkh

machinesworking 18th July 2018 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13423829)
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning toward (bluetooth keyboard).

My MPK88 controls don't seem to work with DP unless there's something I've missed that makes it work right.

Nothing you've missed. DP doesn't work with MIDI Machine Control ,(MMC), which a lot of controller keyboards including AKAI use for the transport. DP can use Mackie, HUI, the computer keyboard, and MIDI notes for the transport controls.

Apparently you can set up MIDI CC in DP to work with the AKAI, but it's unreliable...

Acid Mitch 18th July 2018 08:46 AM

If dp doesn't accept mmc, then all you have to do is reprogram the buttons on the mpk88 to send whatever it is dp expects to receive.

Deleted User 18th July 2018 11:26 AM

DP does respond to MMC, but it has to be slaved to external sync. I put in a tech suggestion a while back to just respond to MMC transport controls without syncing. Would make things a lot easier not having to reprogram transport keys on most controllers.

magicd 18th July 2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucks (Post 13425031)
DP does respond to MMC, but it has to be slaved to external sync. I put in a tech suggestion a while back to just respond to MMC transport controls without syncing. Would make things a lot easier not having to reprogram transport keys on most controllers.

Not quite. DP can send MMC commands. It does not receive MMC. When DP is in MMC mode it is also in slave to external sync mode. DP sends the MMC command to whatever is generating sync for the system (DA88 for example). The master device responds to the MMC and sends sync back to DP.

So yes for remote control DP responds to Mackie HUI/MCU, MIDI notes or controllers (use notes for transport control), and OSC.

If you want to use an iPad or iPhone OSC is pretty slick. Check out the Neyrinck V-Control.

Dave

gradivus 18th July 2018 04:06 PM

Cool. Thanks Dave.

I do have an old iPad 2 laying around that needs a new charger. This could work. Looks like a nice simple UI for record enabling tracks and such.

I'll have to look into MIDI note control to see how to set that up.

Side note: I remember going to a studio in NYC almost 20 years ago (or maybe more) and had to bring my entire computer there, interfaces, modules (they all thought I was nuts). This was back before it was common to see DAWs in studios. Crazy as I may have been, we were able to slave DP to the 2" tape machine using Slave to External Sync. heppy

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicd (Post 13425040)
Not quite. DP can send MMC commands. It does not receive MMC. When DP is in MMC mode it is also in slave to external sync mode. DP sends the MMC command to whatever is generating sync for the system (DA88 for example). The master device responds to the MMC and sends sync back to DP.

So yes for remote control DP responds to Mackie HUI/MCU, MIDI notes or controllers (use notes for transport control), and OSC.

If you want to use an iPad or iPhone OSC is pretty slick. Check out the Neyrinck V-Control.

Dave

magicd 18th July 2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13425361)
Cool. Thanks Dave.

I'll have to look into MIDI note control to see how to set that up.

Most welcome. Let me know (here) if you need any help setting up MIDI Remotes in DP.

Dave

gradivus 18th July 2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicd (Post 13425368)
Most welcome. Let me know (here) if you need any help setting up MIDI Remotes in DP.

Dave

Will do, as soon as I get my new computer so I can test it. I'm wondering if I could setup the pads on my MPK88 (or just change the transport controls) to send the correct notes to DP using their Vyzex editor software.

What notes is DP is actually using?

magicd 18th July 2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13425389)
Will do, as soon as I get my new computer so I can test it. I'm wondering if I could setup the pads on my MPK88 (or just change the transport controls) to send the correct notes to DP using their Vyzex editor software.

What notes is DP is actually using?

Totally customizable. Under the Setup menu open the Commands window. Find the transport control you want and click on the MIDI field for that command. Play the note on your controller and you should see that note show up in the MIDI field.

Be aware that if a note is assigned for a remote control you won't be able to record that note into a track.

Also, if you happen to play that note (from the same controller) as part of a performance, the note won't trigger a sound but it will trigger the command.

Once you've set up the note assignment enable the "Master Master" command at the top of the Commands window to engage MIDI remotes.

Dave

gradivus 18th July 2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicd (Post 13425393)
Totally customizable. Under the Setup menu open the Commands window. Find the transport control you want and click on the MIDI field for that command. Play the note on your controller and you should see that note show up in the MIDI field.

Be aware that if a note is assigned for a remote control you won't be able to record that note into a track.

Also, if you happen to play that note (from the same controller) as part of a performance, the note won't trigger a sound but it will trigger the command.

Once you've set up the note assignment enable the "Master Master" command at the top of the Commands window to engage MIDI remotes.

Dave

Thanks man.

Yeah, I can see where that can be an issue, especially with an 88 key controller like the one I have—unless there's MIDI note numbers outside the 88 keys I could use. I can still shift octaves on this by 3 in each direction I think.

If possible I'd need to check if Vyzex also let me do it so I could apply those MIDI numbers to the transport buttons. If memory serves the software doesn't give you access to the transport controls though, so I'd need to use the pads which I rarely use anyway. Not sure who designed the pads on the MPK88 but they are pretty awful.

Acid Mitch 18th July 2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13425537)
Thanks man.

Yeah, I can see where that can be an issue, especially with an 88 key controller like the one I have—unless there's MIDI note numbers outside the 88 keys I could use. I can still shift octaves on this by 3 in each direction I think.

MIDI allows 128 notes per channel. It would probably easier to assign notes to the buttons on your controller than use the keys, so that you don’t have to transpose anything when you want to hit start/stop, etc.
Using note numbers from the lowest and/or highest octaves , they shouldn’t get in the way of anythng you want to play. Alternatively, if you assign notes on an unused channel to the buttons, they won’t clash with anythng your playing.

machinesworking 18th July 2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13425537)
Thanks man.

If possible I'd need to check if Vyzex also let me do it so I could apply those MIDI numbers to the transport buttons. If memory serves the software doesn't give you access to the transport controls though, so I'd need to use the pads which I rarely use anyway. Not sure who designed the pads on the MPK88 but they are pretty awful.

Yes there are octaves outside of the 88 piano keys on the 88.
The reason IMO this can be a poor workaround is Kontakt, keyswitches can and are assigned to those lower than low octaves. One suggestion if you end up doing this is to assign the pads on the MPK88 to a different port, this way any keyswitching isn't being overridden by the transport.

Now stare at that nice built in transport on the 88 and wonder why MOTU have never bothered to allow controllers like the MPK to access the Control Surface section of DP and work like every other DAW out there. grrr

gradivus 18th July 2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinesworking (Post 13425625)
Now stare at that nice built in transport on the 88 and wonder why MOTU have never bothered to allow controllers like the MPK to access the Control Surface section of DP and work like every other DAW out there. grrr

That happened day one when I got it a few years ago. I felt like taking a hammer to something. The MPK isn't the greatest, but was a step up from the previous one I had—I'm not a fan of the loud keys but the knobs and sliders come in handy. The weighting is better than other controllers I've used, but I still find it difficult to capture subtle stuff accurately. I'll have to look into the port thing. Not exactly sure what you mean.

Also @ Acid Mitch , I did mean assigning the higher keys for transport in DP and then assigning those to the drum pads in Vyzex since I don't use them. Kontakt, East West and Vienna all use the lower ones for keyswitches for certain patches and I use a lot of those instruments. Thanks for mentioning it though incase I had a brain spasm.

Acid Mitch 18th July 2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13425644)
Also @ Acid Mitch , I did mean assigning the higher keys for transport in DP and then assigning those to the drum pads in Vyzex since I don't use them. Kontakt, East West and Vienna all use the lower ones for keyswitches for certain patches and I use a lot of those instruments. Thanks for mentioning it though incase I had a brain spasm.

MPK has MIDI and USB. Assign notes to the buttons and send the buttons to whichever connection you don’t use for playing.
For example if you already use the MPK88 with DP connected via USB then assign the buttons to the MIDI port. You’ll need a MIDI interface for the computer. If you don’t already have one you can get them quite cheap.

gradivus 18th July 2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acid Mitch (Post 13425685)
MPK has MIDI and USB. Assign notes to the buttons and send the buttons to whichever connection you don’t use for playing.
For example if you already use the MPK88 with DP connected via USB then assign the buttons to the MIDI port. You’ll need a MIDI interface for the computer. If you don’t already have one you can get them quite cheap.

I have a MIDI Express XT and a Micro Express USB. I was playing through USB since I needed it for power anyway, but I'm picking up a new Wall Wart for it and some new MIDI cables so I can grab an extra one for the MPK.

Where would I set the port, in Vyzex or in Apple Audio MIDI Setup Utility using multiple devices?

machinesworking 18th July 2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13425644)
That happened day one when I got it a few years ago. I felt like taking a hammer to something. The MPK isn't the greatest, but was a step up from the previous one I had—I'm not a fan of the loud keys but the knobs and sliders come in handy. The weighting is better than other controllers I've used, but I still find it difficult to capture subtle stuff accurately. I'll have to look into the port thing. Not exactly sure what you mean.

The MPK can assign the drum pads to a separate port, if you look in DP to assign the MPK as a controller it shows AKAI MPK88 Port 1, 2 and 3. If I recall correctly 3 is for AKAI internal stuff, in fact the Vyzex editor only allows you to assign to "Common MIDI Channel A or B" 1-16 respectively. So MIDI port 1 is called Common MIDI Channel 1 by AKAI. I now have to figure out how to do this globally as 90% of the time I'm going to want to use the pads on a separate port than the keys.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about the MPK88 in general, I think it's fantastic. Generic MIDI controllers IMO are far better in DP than Arturia's proprietary controller, NI's Komplete Kontrol, or even AKAI's VIP. I like the drum pads, only the PadKontrol feels better to me, plus the instant access to 4 banks of pads is brilliant for Battery and Kontakt drum libraries. Mess around with the key sensitivity if you're having a hard time with subtle stuff. the keys are as loud as real piano keys though, I give you that! :lol:

gradivus 18th July 2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinesworking (Post 13425747)
The MPK can assign the drum pads to a separate port, if you look in DP to assign the MPK as a controller it shows AKAI MPK88 Port 1, 2 and 3. If I recall correctly 3 is for AKAI internal stuff, in fact the Vyzex editor only allows you to assign to "Common MIDI Channel A or B" 1-16 respectively. So MIDI port 1 is called Common MIDI Channel 1 by AKAI. I now have to figure out how to do this globally as 90% of the time I'm going to want to use the pads on a separate port than the keys.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about the MPK88 in general, I think it's fantastic. Generic MIDI controllers IMO are far better in DP than Arturia's proprietary controller, NI's Komplete Kontrol, or even AKAI's VIP. I like the drum pads, only the PadKontrol feels better to me, plus the instant access to 4 banks of pads is brilliant for Battery and Kontakt drum libraries. Mess around with the key sensitivity if you're having a hard time with subtle stuff. the keys are as loud as real piano keys though, I give you that! :lol:

:)

Like I said, it's not bad by any means. It's the best (and heaviest) I've used to date compared to the cheap, flimsy, plastic crap on other controllers. I had numerous keys die on other controllers and one I broke the key off while playing :lol: The MPK sounds louder than a real piano to me (that deep thud).

Disagreement is fine, man. Maybe my settings suck or it's the way I play. I personally find the sensitivity of the pads to be lacking and they feel too thin to me. I'm looking to replace them with a thicker, more sensitive set from mpcstuff. I'm also planning on doing some testing with the settings since I'm overhauling my workspace and getting new gear. I'm not getting rid of the MPK so it seems like a good time to test out some things.

machinesworking 18th July 2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradivus (Post 13425775)
:)

Like I said, it's not bad by any means. It's the best (and heaviest) I've used to date compared to the cheap, flimsy, plastic crap on other controllers. I had numerous keys die on other controllers and one I broke the key off while playing :lol:

Yeah, I just got mine, moved up from an M-Audio Prokeys 88. I was lucky in that it didn't have any noticeable velocity problems like a lot of those do, but no aftertouch, and the octave switching would make you want to kill something every time you attempted to use it. For some godawful reason they thought half step note increments should be the standard, so hitting both buttons at once to "switch" it to octave mode would half the time just put the keys out of key... grrr

Anyway I wish MOTU would fix this, it's a total buzz kill when your DAW isn't supporting standards.

gradivus 18th July 2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinesworking (Post 13425793)
Yeah, I just got mine, moved up from an M-Audio Prokeys 88. I was lucky in that it didn't have any noticeable velocity problems like a lot of those do, but no aftertouch, and the octave switching would make you want to kill something every time you attempted to use it. For some godawful reason they thought half step note increments should be the standard, so hitting both buttons at once to "switch" it to octave mode would half the time just put the keys out of key... grrr

Anyway I wish MOTU would fix this, it's a total buzz kill when your DAW isn't supporting standards.

I've used maybe 6 or 7 different controllers over the years and they were all lacking in some way—typically cheap build, no aftertouch, and only a few had extra knobs for CC. I badly needed a step up to 88 keys. I still use octave shifts, but now I use it for convenience instead of necessity.

I agree it is frustrating. I'm not sure why MOTU does stuff like this being one of the first companies who made DAWs. Maybe it conflicts with some old code that would be hard to replace without breaking other things like transport sync? That's the only thing I can think of that would make sense. confoosed

magicd 19th July 2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinesworking (Post 13425793)

I'm not sure what you mean here. What does MOTU need to fix? If you want DP to respond to MMC commands that's a bigger question than supporting a specific MIDI controller. IMO asking for DP to have the capability to respond to MMC is a legitimate request and if that's what you want you should let them know.

I'm more interested in what can be done with what you have right now.

I took a look at the MPK88 manual. Here's what it says about the transport controls:

"The transport control section on the MPK61/MPK88 can be configured to send transport control information in a variety of ways: MMC (MIDI Machine Control), MMC/MIDI, MIDI, or CTRL. Some applications and devices have dedicated MMC functions and will only respond to MMC messages, while others may not have reserved MMC functions but implement transport control via MIDI SysEx or MIDI CC messages. To account for these scenarios, we have provided a way to edit the messages sent by the transport control buttons. This allows you to customize the MPK61/MPK88’s transport to best work with your application or external device."

What the manual appears to say is that Akai has built-in flexibility to the transport controls to accommodate different software and hardware. But nothing is perfect. The Akai doesn't support OSC ;-)

I don't have an MPK88 so you'll have to do the testing and let us know what works.

The Akai manual does say the transport controls can be set up to send MIDI CC messages. It doesn't mention notes and it doesn't go into detail, at least not on that page, about how to configure specific MIDI messages to the transport.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that MIDI notes were more desirable for transport commands in DP. Here's why. When you press a key on a MIDI keyboard a note-on message is sent, and a note-off message is sent when you lift the key. If the note-off message is never sent you get the dreaded stuck note. Last time I tested this in DP, DP was looking for both the note on and note off command. If you had a controller that only sent the note-on command, it would be like pressing the play button with your mouse but not unclicking. I'm 99% certain that DP needs both note-on and note-off commands for remote transport controls.

I'm pretty sure it's similar with MIDI CC messages. The MIDI remote in DP is looking for a specific CC number and value. But if that same message is sent twice in a row, the second time won't do anything. After the initial value is sent there must be a different value sent to clear the first command.

So what probably needs to happen is that when the transport command button is pressed, a CC message is sent, and when the transport button is released the same CC but with a different value needs to be sent. Button down value 0, button up value 127, or something along those lines.

There are valid reasons for DP to work this way. It's not just some random implementation.

Anyway as I said, I don't represent MOTU, I don't have an MPK, and I could be wrong in my understanding of the implementation. Having made that disclaimer I think you might actually be able to get the transport controls on the MPK to work with DP. I'll do my best to help you with follow-up questions.

Dave

gradivus 19th July 2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicd (Post 13426764)
I'm not sure what you mean here. What does MOTU need to fix? If you want DP to respond to MMC commands that's a bigger question than supporting a specific MIDI controller. IMO asking for DP to have the capability to respond to MMC is a legitimate request and if that's what you want you should let them know.

I took a look at the MPK88 manual. Here's what it says about the transport controls:

"The transport control section on the MPK61/MPK88 can be configured to send transport control information in a variety of ways: MMC (MIDI Machine Control), MMC/MIDI, MIDI, or CTRL. Some applications and devices have dedicated MMC functions and will only respond to MMC messages, while others may not have reserved MMC functions but implement transport control via MIDI SysEx or MIDI CC messages. To account for these scenarios, we have provided a way to edit the messages sent by the transport control buttons. This allows you to customize the MPK61/MPK88’s transport to best work with your application or external device."

What the manual appears to say is that Akai has built-in flexibility to the transport controls to accommodate different software and hardware. But nothing is perfect. The Akai doesn't support OSC ;-)

I don't have an MPK88 so you'll have to do the testing and let us know what works.

The Akai manual does say the transport controls can be set up to send MIDI CC messages. It doesn't mention notes and it doesn't go into detail, at least not on that page, about how to configure specific MIDI messages to the transport.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that MIDI notes were more desirable for transport commands in DP. Here's why. When you press a key on a MIDI keyboard a note-on message is sent, and a note-off message is sent when you lift the key. If the note-off message is never sent you get the dreaded stuck note. Last time I tested this in DP, DP was looking for both the note on and note off command. If you had a controller that only sent the note-on command, it would be like pressing the play button with your mouse but not unclicking. I'm 99% certain that DP needs both note-on and note-off commands for remote transport controls.

I'm pretty sure it's similar with MIDI CC messages. The MIDI remote in DP is looking for a specific CC number and value. But if that same message is sent twice in a row, the second time won't do anything. After the initial value is sent there must be a different value sent to clear the first command.

So what probably needs to happen is that when the transport command button is pressed, a CC message is sent, and when the transport button is released the same CC but with a different value needs to be sent. Button down value 0, button up value 127, or something along those lines.

There are valid reasons for DP to work this way. It's not just some random implementation.

Anyway as I said, I don't represent MOTU, I don't have an MPK, and I could be wrong in my understanding of the implementation. Having made that disclaimer I think you might actually be able to get the transport controls on the MPK to work with DP. I'll do my best to help you with follow-up questions.

Dave

Thanks for the info, Dave. That makes sense.

I personally can't test right now as my workstation is down, rack is empty, and all my gear is piled up in another room.

Curious to see if you two guys work this out though and what the solution is. If I have the time in the next week or so I can try to install DP on this laptop, but I'd have to find the manual/serial # which is buried away in a box from 4 years ago when I moved.

machinesworking 19th July 2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicd (Post 13426764)

It's not just a specific MIDI controller, pretty much every MIDI controller keyboard with a transport uses MMC.

Quote:

Dave
Like you've guessed it's possible with CC but there are issues, it seems to stop working, and quickly according to AKAI tech support forum threads. Probably for the reasons you mentioned. Looks like setting up CC doesn't include the ability to have it toggle between 0-127. SysEx to control the transport isn't supported by DP, so that leaves MIDI notes, not supported by AKAI, at least not with the transport controls.

This is a standard now, MMC for controlling transports outside of HUI and Mackie support, AKAI aren't the only ones doing it. When something works in Logic, Reaper, Live etc. etc. but doesn't work in DP, I think it's justifiable to point it out, I'll request it, but I'm certain it's a known issue. I wish there was a solution that included the transport controls on the AKAI, but as you've illustrated AKAI and MOTU have various solutions to the issue, and they don't match up.

Here's the thread on AKAIs support pages.
Controlling Digital Performer with MPK88