Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1214093-behringer-rd808-analog-drum-machine.html)

autoy 3rd May 2018 01:30 PM

Behringer RD808 Analog Drum Machine

Behringer RD808:

BOOM

Captain Prophet 3rd May 2018 01:49 PM

:cowbell:Yesssss!!

zawinul 3rd May 2018 01:50 PM

Yeah Boyeeeee

Dillops 3rd May 2018 01:52 PM

Boom! Looking forward to this one

Deleted User 3rd May 2018 01:52 PM

Sold.

hayx 3rd May 2018 01:58 PM

Im walking over to superbooth with cash in hand right now. Im in the US too! HYSTERIA!!!!abduction

earwolf 3rd May 2018 01:59 PM

https://i.giphy.com/media/oGO1MPNUVbbk4/giphy.webp

fiddlestickz 3rd May 2018 02:01 PM

oh hell yeah..!!!

Nanoshores 3rd May 2018 02:03 PM

Even More Cowbell. :cowbell: Nice extra features. Instant want.

Nanoshores 3rd May 2018 02:04 PM

Wonder if the decay on the BD has been extended?

BTByrd 3rd May 2018 02:58 PM

I wish they'd taken the opportunity to extend the range of available parameters for each drum voice. Or at least provide them for the big stuff like the kick and snare. Push the envelope a bit instead of rehashing circuits that are almost four decades old. Try copying something interesting next time.

I'll concede that this is way more interesting and useful than, say, the Rhythm Wolf. But did the world really need another 808?

"BUT IT'S REAL ANALOG, BRO! AND IT'S GOT A FILTER AND A COMPRESSOR! AND THEY'RE REAL ANALOG TOO, BRO!"

I guess...

I'm sure they'll sell boatloads.

robleighton22 3rd May 2018 03:08 PM

Can't deny that even tho it's a boring 808 replica, it seems to nail (at least on first impression) everything that all the other clones or Roland re-releases fail to do. Love the fact it is full sized and not some tiny condensed ****e. New features sound reasonable and all the outputs. What's not to like really. Looking forward to a more original drum machine from them but at the same time really want this. Interested to see what the price may be.

autoy 3rd May 2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTByrd (Post 13294317)
I wish they'd taken the opportunity to extend the range of available parameters for each drum voice. Or at least provide them for the big stuff like the kick and snare. Push the envelope a bit instead of rehashing circuits that are almost four decades old. Try copying something interesting next time.

I'll concede that this is way more interesting and useful than, say, the Rhythm Wolf. But did the world really need another 808?

"BUT IT'S REAL ANALOG, BRO! AND IT'S GOT A FILTER AND A COMPRESSOR! AND THEY'RE REAL ANALOG TOO, BRO!"

I guess...

I'm sure they'll sell boatloads.

Nah, we really need and actual proper sounding 808 at an affordable price, which nobody has made yet. Yocto v1 was close but limited, quite expensive, DIY kit. Roland's own digital attempts sound flat compared to the original and has no real studio use without physical outs, so I say this is a welcome development.

asynchro_nous 3rd May 2018 03:13 PM

Some nice evolution in there, including an analog transient shaper.

rockmanrock 3rd May 2018 03:17 PM

In your face Roland! You idiocracy-welcoming, toy-pimping, pig-headed morons!

And relax...

empirix 3rd May 2018 03:20 PM

wowsers

asynchro_nous 3rd May 2018 03:20 PM

$399?

syzygywell 3rd May 2018 03:40 PM

We really are spoiled for choice, I can't even keep up with all the new announcements.

Nothing Behringer is doing is new but others are creating new devices; people have been clamoring for this and they are taking folks at their word and filling a request. And even for those with the originals, if these clones are really close, all the better since things have to be repaired and certainly won't be taken out on the road. The small footprint of the D and Pro One clones are appreciated too.

BM0 3rd May 2018 03:52 PM

I would imagine Roland aren't going to be very happy about this.

dbenway 3rd May 2018 03:53 PM

Lol, the hype train rolls on. Hard to keep up with all the announcements, we'll see how it actually turns out whenever it actually turns up in the shops.

I seem to recall the Drumbrute attracting similar levels of "yaaaaaas realz analog, suck it Roland", and we all know how that one turned out.

Will personally be very interested to see how it stacks up with the Roland plugin and Boutique a/b testing, I have a feeling that it might be a bit of a reality check ... although no doubt it'll still sell because Real Analog™.

Deleted User 3rd May 2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BM0 (Post 13294412)
I would imagine Roland aren't going to be very happy about this.

yeah! they won't be happy. but on this board, no one cares what Roland thinks anymore.

steveswisher 3rd May 2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoy (Post 13294344)
Nah, we really need and actual proper sounding 808 at an affordable price, which nobody has made yet. Yocto v1 was close but limited, quite expensive, DIY kit. Roland's own digital attempts sound flat compared to the original and has no real studio use without physical outs, so I say this is a welcome development.

Absolutely. I’ve always want one of the original 808’s but not at those insane prices. The Roland toy-size reissues just didn’t do it for me. This Behringer full size machine with individual outs has got me fully erect.

hgigh 3rd May 2018 04:05 PM

VennD68 3rd May 2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoy (Post 13294344)

The TR8S has no physical outs ? :facepalm:
Quite frankly it is what a modern 808 should be IMHO.
Still, its all OMGWTFANALOGPPL and Behringer are going to cash cow it anyway they can (for better or for worse).

chrisso 3rd May 2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmanrock (Post 13294352)
In your face Roland! You idiocracy-welcoming, toy-pimping, pig-headed morons!

says everything about this thread - and not in a good way. shiee

chrisso 3rd May 2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syn303 (Post 13294416)
yeah! they won't be happy. but on this board, no one cares what Roland thinks anymore.

It's just more Behringer blatantly ripping off other people's success stories.
Same name, same graphics. What's wrong with an actual Behringer drum machine, even if it has 808 influenced sounds.
This is actual IP theft to my mind.

NuG3nda 3rd May 2018 04:11 PM

of course this is a huge boingboingboingboing

yet would it have really killed the consept to have built more upon the orginal sound source .. BD tune comes to mind immediately, other ideas like; has anyone heard the AS 808 clap mod tune, reverb decay .. its gorgeous!! Tom/conga decay & noise controle also come to mind. Spring reverb, analogue distortion and midi delay would have been phenomenal..

I know there is a price point involved and this will be hugely successful in the market, yes its only a clone but I would have liked more innovation in sound.. guess that's where that 3rd RD999 analogue drum machine comes into play ..

but in all in all ... brilliant Behringer moves yet again ..

autoy 3rd May 2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VennD68 (Post 13294446)
The TR8S has no physical outs ? :facepalm:
Quite frankly it is what a modern 808 should be IMHO.
Still, its all OMGWTFANALOGPPL and Behringer are going to cash cow it anyway they can (for better or for worse).

Not individual. Besides features at the end of the day is the sound that counts, so we'll see but so far it's already very promising, bad audio recording and all.

Deleted User 3rd May 2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisso (Post 13294454)
It's just more Behringer blatantly ripping off other people's success stories.
Same name, same graphics. What's wrong with an actual Behringer drum machine, even if it has 808 influenced sounds.
This is actual IP theft to my mind.

well the guy pete in the video, says things may change with RD-808. so that could mean a change in the colours etc etc. it's just a prototype still, and august is 4 months away. so still plenty of time for all that to change.

for one i won't be selling my 808 anytime soon. even though it has a custom CPU, that extends it's features.

pete1024 3rd May 2018 04:31 PM

I hope they get the hihat choking behaviour correct. I've only experienced it on my TR-8 with the 808 & 606 kits, but having a OH and CH on the same step causes a 3rd hihat sound. Adds so much to hihat patterns, wish the Rytm had this feature too.