Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   MOTU Digital Performer (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/motu-digital-performer/)
-   -   MOTU Ultralite Questions (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/motu-digital-performer/1206896-motu-ultralite-questions.html)

mat roze 17th March 2018 06:29 PM

MOTU Ultralite Questions

Hi I'm looking into getting a used MOTU ultralite but have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

I'm running Logic X from a macbook air (mid 2013) with osx sierra.

1) Which units are compatible with my system? Would you recommend using a firewire to thunderbolt adapter?

2) I hear that sometimes the display stops working. Is the machine operational when this happens?

3) How repairable are these units?

4) Is it recommended to get a newer unit or would an older one suffice?

Thank you for your time!

kslight 17th March 2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mat roze (Post 13205431)
Hi I'm looking into getting a used MOTU ultralite but have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

I'm running Logic X from a macbook air (mid 2013) with osx sierra.

1) Which units are compatible with my system? Would you recommend using a firewire to thunderbolt adapter?

2) I hear that sometimes the display stops working. Is the machine operational when this happens?

3) How repairable are these units?

4) Is it recommended to get a newer unit or would an older one suffice?

Thank you for your time!

1. A. Probably all fairly modern ones. B. I wouldn't recommend purchasing FireWire anything in 2018.
2. Probably, within the software editor on the computer.
3. No one really "repairs" interfaces that I have seen. There are a few companies that "upgrade" or modify them but most likely the cost of all but the most basic of repairs would exceed the value of the interface.
4. Newer. Even second hand current model if you have to.

Deleted User 17th March 2018 08:27 PM

MOTU has a flat fee (+shipping) exchange for broken units. The last time I used it, it was $95. I think it has gone up some - give customer service a call to find out the current rates. I did an 828mkII exchange 4 years ago, but they've since discontinued the exchange service for that unit. So they do abandon units at some time, but 828mkII is somewhere in the 20 year old arena - 15,16 years of repair service is pretty solid.

mat roze 21st March 2018 04:49 PM

Is the exchange program available only for new units or used units? Is it something you opt into when you buy a new unit or can you make use of it with a used unit as well, provided the support for the unit is still available?

Deleted User 21st March 2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mat roze (Post 13212541)
Is the exchange program available only for new units or used units? Is it something you opt into when you buy a new unit or can you make use of it with a used unit as well, provided the support for the unit is still available?

Call MOTU Customer Service - they are very helpful and they'll be able to give you a definitive answer. My take on it is you only have to register your ownership, new or used, to be able to start a support case. I purchased both my MOTU units new, so no experience with used.