Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Best Studio Gear (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/)
-   -   Top Ten Most Popular Plug-Ins (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/1206483-top-ten-most-popular-plug-ins.html)

The Press Desk 14th March 2018 08:15 PM

Top Ten Most Popular Plug-Ins

Plug-ins are one of the most discussed (and often controversial) topics amongst producers and engineers around here, so we "asked our database" what the most popular ones are in Gearslutz forum discussions - here are our findings:

Arousor Plugin

Empirical Labs Arousor Plugin

What is it? The evolution of the iconic Distressor with some interesting new features such as attack modification and controllable saturation.

Pros: The coveted Empirical Labs compression sound on a highly efficient plug-in that allows for countless instances to be used simultaneously.

Cons: Relatively costly when compared to similar tools and requires iLok USB dongle.

Neutron 3 Advanced

iZotope Neutron 3 Advanced

What is it? Innovative channel strip with intriguing twists and AI-aided tools. Comes in three versions - Elements, Standard and Advanced.

Pros: Highly flexible and capable of taking care of nearly everything that a mix requires, including handy analysis tools.

Cons: Some interesting features are only available on the (more expensive) Advanced edition.

VTM (Virtual Tape Machines)

Slate Digital VTM (Virtual Tape Machines)

What is it? Magnetic recording tape emulation with the Slate Digital pedigree.

Pros: Realistic sounding, easy to use and covers a good range of different tape flavours.

Cons: Unless you "don’t like tape" (said almost no one ever) there’s hardly anything to complain about.

VCC 2 (Virtual Console Collection 2)

Slate Digital VCC 2 (Virtual Console Collection 2)

What is it? Adds that sought-after big-analog-console-sound to your DAW.

Pros: Six console options on a well optimised plug-in, allowing for many instances to be used on a session without crippling our computers.

Cons: Requires VMR and thus the USB iLok dongle, which may be a hindrance to some.

Brainworx bx_console N

Plugin Alliance Brainworx bx_console N

What is it? Emulates the Neve VXS console down to the component level.

Pros: A one-stop solution for basic channel work and very light on the CPU.

Cons: Not as colourful as other classic Neve consoles.

EQuilibrium

DMG Audio EQuilibrium

What is it? The ultimate equalizer plug-in with an insane amount of EQ curves, configurations and inner-workings settings.

Pros: Excellent sounding and customizable like no other EQ plug-in.

Cons: Might feel a bit overwhelming with so many options.

Novatron

Kush Audio Novatron

What is it? A versatile compressor that can go from clean to gritty - and everything in between.

Pros: Not as cryptic to dial in as the other Kush/Sly-Fi compressor plug-ins.

Cons: Hardly any, but it requires an iLok USB dongle.

Five important notes/observations:

1. Our findings are based on how many times a product has been mentioned on Gearslutz.

2. The list tells us that Gearslutz definitely loves equalizers, compressors and saturators.

3. The quest for the elusive character of analog gear never ends and a good chunk of this list is comprised of plug-ins that are set to capture these magical aspects. It never gets old, does it?

4. Our list shows an interesting mix of authorization solutions, with proprietary and third-party solutions almost split, but a physical security dongle is still required for around half of the entries.

5. All the entries on our list are cross-platform and available as AAX, AU and VST plug-ins, which is a testimony to the dedication and professionalism of the current crop of developers. From small/one-man operations to big companies, everybody is putting on some great work that anyone can use no matter what their platform.

So what do you think? What are you looking forward to when it comes to plug-in development in 2018? Share your thoughts with us!

fuzulu 23rd March 2018 06:31 PM

wow major heavy weights in here

soapmak3r 23rd March 2018 08:12 PM

I use the Slate VMR on every mix. I'm not surprised to see it on here as they are among the best sounding and best-optimized plugins on the market.

I just picked up Kush Novatron and so far it is also fantastic. Their Omega 458a plugin is also on just about every mix I do. Another highly recommended and inexpensive mixing tool.

I've been eyeing up Neutron 2 for a while. Passed up on a great crossgrade deal not that long ago. I'll probably pick it up if the same deal comes around again.

loaf 23rd March 2018 11:37 PM

just goes to show, all publicity is good publicity!

Gemylon 28th March 2018 10:36 PM

This is all old stuff, not really old, but certainly not the hottest !

peachh

Continental 1st April 2018 12:50 PM

i have 0zero of the plugins ...
and im tired from all the millions of plugins & clones....less is more :-)

nightchef 2nd April 2018 04:05 PM

Interesting list. What fascinates me about it is that three of these plugs were entirely new to me--I'm hearing about them for the first time in this thread. And I don't own any of them, nor were any of them on my short list, with the possible exception of the ProQ-2.

As for the authorization question: I am done buying new plugins that require a dongle, and I make less and less use of those I do have. And I suspect I'm not alone.

robert82 2nd April 2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightchef (Post 13234605)
Interesting list. What fascinates me about it is that three of these plugs were entirely new to me--I'm hearing about them for the first time in this thread. And I don't own any of them, nor were any of them on my short list, with the possible exception of the ProQ-2.

As for the authorization question: I am done buying new plugins that require a dongle, and I make less and less use of those I do have. And I suspect I'm not alone.

I'd rather put up with the dongle if it's the only way I can get some of the really innovative software that's available now. In some cases (IMO) there are no "non-dongle" versions that measure up.

StephenPope 27th April 2018 10:23 PM

Has anybody ever had a poll of what plug-ins people actually use the most on real recording projects, rather than what gets the most mentions?

I’m surprized that the major suites from the “usual suspect” plugIn developers like Waves, Eventide, McDsp, MetricHalo or WaveArts are not on the list...

My list of most-used channel strips would be something like:

Eventide UltraChannel
Voxengo Voxformer
iZotope Neutron
Waves SSL G-channel
MetricHalo ChannelStrip3
McDSP Channel G
WaveArts TrackPlug5

Roloalcien 29th May 2018 02:32 AM

How many SSL emulations are out there?, both in plugins and hardware, I think it´s too much

robert82 29th May 2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roloalcien (Post 13342208)
How many SSL emulations are out there?, both in plugins and hardware, I think it´s too much

Sorry. We'll take that into consideration.

theMuzzl3 30th December 2018 05:12 PM

*EDIT** oops, this is abou popularity... removed what I was posting...