Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Personal Stuff (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/personal-stuff/)
-   -   Do You Believe Your "Vibe" Can Affect Your Equipment? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/personal-stuff/1202855-do-you-believe-your-quot-vibe-quot-can-affect-your-equipment.html)

Deleted User 19th February 2018 05:14 PM

Do You Believe Your "Vibe" Can Affect Your Equipment?

I was always skeptical about this theory put forth by a person much wiser than I, but as I have become more observant, I am starting to believe that my mood, my attitude, and my frequent negativity can actually cause my studio gear - especially computers - to break down suddenly.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

cavern 19th February 2018 05:25 PM

No its the other way around. Your equipment affects your mood.

Deleted e999d8e 19th February 2018 05:25 PM

No, but this probably explains most of the "please help me" posts I see on audio forums.

memristor 19th February 2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Tom (Post 13150846)

Yes, but I don't have an explanation.

My theory is that certain (unlikely) events put you on a path of less likelyness where even more unlikely things -coincidences- occur.

Or put less interesting, there are streaks of luck and unluck, cause random series exhibit areas where seemingly order occurs.

Brent Hahn 19th February 2018 05:35 PM

Absolutely. I've been around several engineers who could make things malfunction just by being in the room. And this is just energetic -- distinct from guys (always guys) who are "breakers." You know the type.

Early on I worked a lot with the great jazz and "big-date" engineer Roger Rhodes. He never seemed to actually touch anything -- his brain-surgeon hands would seem to float over the faders and knobs but never actually touch them. In his apartment, the light switches on the walls all had the faintest little smudge on the end of the toggle. Absolutely nothing on the faceplate or the wall.

bitman 19th February 2018 06:20 PM

Seriously?

Next thread.

Cozmik Prod. 19th February 2018 06:36 PM

Yes, it does...

I'm actually very good at it abduction

Arthur Stone 19th February 2018 06:36 PM

Never press a switch in anger!

Brent Hahn 19th February 2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitman (Post 13151000)
Seriously?

Next thread.

You're clearly open to accepting the unprovable, so I think we can have a conversation.

Let's say you've got a chicken roasting in the oven. If you open the oven door you feel a blast of heat. At the same time, if the chicken weren't dead it would feel a blast of cold. There's an exchange. ( And this is why you never open the oven door).

Here's another exchange: many people say they can't or don't, but when I put my hand near a sizable inductor with current running though it, like the ones in a Pultec or an old Ampex tape machine, I can feel radiating energy. If I can feel the inductor, who's to say the inductor can't "feel" me?

12tone 19th February 2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hahn (Post 13151049)
If I can feel the inductor, who's to say the inductor can't "feel" me?

For sure...

we can feel a mailbox, and according to Quincy Jones, mailboxes have been known to definitely 'feel' Marlon Brando, to put it politely.

sameal 19th February 2018 06:54 PM

My gear just kinda rotates around me as i need it. Were planetary, me and my gear.

Deleted User 19th February 2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

...If I can feel the inductor, who's to say the inductor can't "feel" me?

There ya go! I guess there's going to be some wading through obligatory remarks from people who don't "get" what I am talking about and feel they need to snipe or troll anyway, but you just said it right there, Brent.

Everything on the planet is energy, including humans. When the mood in a room changes as a certain person enters, it's that person's energy that everyone is reacting to. If the human body, the most complex organism in the world, can be rendered helpless in its physical reaction to a person who brings a dark cloud into a room, why wouldn't a much less sophisticated piece of machinery such as a computer or an amplifier be vulnerable to the same?

I've had a recurring problem with Windows 7 for a couple of years now. Randomly, or so it seems, programs freeze up and shut down as I attempt to save a file, causing me to lose lots of work on a regular basis. Microsoft has been unable (or unwilling) to solve this problem, so I decided to experiment with some "mind control." Instead of thinking to myself, "It's going to crash now" every time I hit SAVE, I take a breath and concentrate on only positive thoughts, such as "Everything is going to work perfectly this time." I have to tell you, it has worked for me a full 100% of the time for at least six months.

So laugh at this stuff if you must (I used to), but I feel like I've had enough personal experience to believe in it. Who else has something relevant to share?

Arthur Stone 19th February 2018 07:09 PM

A scientist will ask for a causal link - some proof of energy transference.

apartment dog 19th February 2018 07:13 PM

If you don't respect your Behringer,
how can you expect your Behringer to respect you.
yingyang

Brent Hahn 19th February 2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Tom (Post 13151104)
If the human body, the most complex organism in the world, can be rendered helpless in its physical reaction to a person who brings a dark cloud into a room, why wouldn't a much less sophisticated piece of machinery such as a computer or an amplifier be vulnerable to the same?

I think anyone of a certain age can remember having a family member or friend who had to sit perfectly still, because if they fidgeted it would mess up the black & white rabbit-ears TV. In my household that family member was me.

12tone 19th February 2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apartment dog (Post 13151117)
If you don't respect your Behringer,
how can you expect your Behringer to respect you.
yingyang

If that being the case, there's never ever been a rental car that respected me...

soundebler 19th February 2018 07:45 PM

yingyang

https://i.imgur.com/s16wDxV.png

Arthur Stone 19th February 2018 08:50 PM

I was playing some vinyl at an outdoor full moon rave in Wales; the organiser asked me to play first and I decided to start with some kind of CJ Bolland/Sven Vath-style techno which had a bold bagpipe intro; around 30 secs in and the crowd are moving to the beat...the bagpipe kicks in and the generator failed. I left the needle on the vinyl and the bagpipes slowly dropped in speed and pitch...

Muser 19th February 2018 09:14 PM

there's a close relationship between technologies and control systems in machines and animals. including the battery and the concept of feedback. but gear will tend to enter failure modes when it's being utilised. this basic reality is often overlooked. ime, it's not generally magic. but If you think it might be in your case, you can always try wearing a metal cullender on your head in order to interrupt the offending signals.

Deleted User 19th February 2018 09:14 PM

So are you saying the bagpipes crashed the generator? (Just trying to understand your post.)

Arthur Stone 19th February 2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Tom (Post 13151298)
So are you saying the bagpipes crashed the generator? (Just trying to understand your post.)

Yes. The PA didn't seem to handle bagpipes well.

Muser 19th February 2018 09:41 PM

maybe they hit the resonant frequency of the generators protection circuitry.

12ax7 19th February 2018 09:47 PM

Well, of COURSE your vibe affects your equipment:

You already know that your vibe affects YOU!

...And YOU (in turn) affect your equipment.

...Therefore...

Brent Hahn 19th February 2018 09:55 PM

Back when he was still around, I walked into Stephen Paul's place and found him sitting at his desk, holding the insides of a big tube LDC in his hand and just kinda staring at it.

"Whatcha doin' there, Stephen?"

"I'm infusing it with my essence."

12tone 19th February 2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Stone (Post 13151332)
Yes. The PA didn't seem to handle bagpipes well.

You pump bagpipes at 120db...well, you're tempting God, and only asking for trouble.

Just be glad you weren't struck by a lightning bolt...

bitman 20th February 2018 01:58 AM

Quote:

You're clearly open to accepting the unprovable, so I think we can have a conversation.

Let's say you've got a chicken roasting in the oven. If you open the oven door you feel a blast of heat. At the same time, if the chicken weren't dead it would feel a blast of cold. There's an exchange. ( And this is why you never open the oven door).

Here's another exchange: many people say they can't or don't, but when I put my hand near a sizable inductor with current running though it, like the ones in a Pultec or an old Ampex tape machine, I can feel radiating energy. If I can feel the inductor, who's to say the inductor can't "feel" me?

Touche.

bitman 20th February 2018 02:06 AM

If ya wanna get all spiritual about circuits consider this, there is a spirit world demon assigned to electronics. It is more likely you have a few of them sitting on the racks watching your attitudes.

:amaze: :amaze:

Deleted User 20th February 2018 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Tom (Post 13150846)

No. Seek an exorcist, perhaps?

Deleted User 20th February 2018 10:50 PM

From the OP: Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys suck! grrr

Seriously, though. I thought this thread was going to go viral and attract some real intelligent conversation. With the exception of a few posts from people who "got it," most of the thread has been rubbish. I guess I picked the wrong audience, eh?

deedeeyeah 20th February 2018 11:05 PM

"does humor belong in music?" - obvioulsy not /for all