Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Aurora stinger discontinued (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1199753-aurora-stinger-discontinued.html)

2cthetruth 30th January 2018 02:27 AM

Aurora stinger discontinued

Was going to order a new Aurora Stinger when I early found that they have been discontinued. This was due to noise issues related to the power supply. Good news is they are going to release a new revamped markII in a couple/few months! They are also debuting a 500 series unit this year. Other things happening as well (you will see in NAMM later this year)! Can’t wait that long, so might get a GTQ2. Anyone have any complaints about noise with this unit before I take the plunge?

12tone 30th January 2018 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cthetruth (Post 13108393)
Was going to order a new Aurora Stinger when I early found that they have been discontinued. This was due to noise issues related to the power supply. Good news is they are going to release a new revamped markII in a couple/few months! They are also debuting a 500 series unit this year. Other things happening as well (you will see in NAMM later this year)! Can’t wait that long, so might get a GTQ2. Anyone have any complaints about noise with this unit before I take the plunge?

Hmm, I've not had issues.

Could you please elaborate?

2cthetruth 30th January 2018 04:13 PM

Stinger noise issues

From what I understood, the power supply on the stinger is in a not so good location and was introducing noise on some units. They are working on a new model with rearranged internals and extra shielding which will be released in a couple months or so. My question: why they didn’t the engineers at Aurora catch this before releasing it to the public? These units aren’t cheap! Will there be an exchange program of some sort when the new models come out? Kind of crappy if not...

samsteeno 31st January 2018 10:32 AM

im so keen for their 500 series offerings! hope this is true boing

2cthetruth 31st January 2018 11:52 AM

I don’t work for CNN, so you know it’s true!

12tone 31st January 2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cthetruth (Post 13111416)
I don’t work for CNN, so you know it’s true!

Well, if so, it would be a departure from the reticence Mr Tanner has expressed in the past about the 500 series. (Not that it would be unwelcomed from me)

In any case, as an owner of a couple of Stingers, it's my hope you got your info from Fox news.

2cthetruth 31st January 2018 11:24 PM

12tone, you’ll be happy!

2cthetruth 31st January 2018 11:25 PM

If it wasn’t true, I’m sure mr Tanner would chime in at some point and say so..

christian1042 30th April 2018 08:09 PM

Did you ever get an update on this? Looking to buy one but can't find them anywhere and don't want to grab an old one if it has noise issues

Geoff_T 30th April 2018 09:14 PM

Hi

We have sold many Stingers that have worked well with no issues. Neither the design or the components changed so the last ones produced were the same as the first ones electrically and physically but we started to find power supplies playing up and because I was not 100% happy with the design, I decided to stop production of it.

That needs explaining... My good friend and business partner Alan Dickson, RIP, that was his pet project. He wanted the console shape and, while it does look cool, there's probably more assembly time with joining up the six internal circuit boards to achieve that shape than there was in a GTQ2! I got it to work well but these latest issues with the PSU's has given me the chance to design it as I originally wanted it... A wedge shape that would allow me to put all the components on a single motherboard.

At the same time I intent to add a number of goodies while keeping the circuit and sound the same but also the price and eradicating any PSU issues.

And yes, I would consider exchanging for noisy mark 1... but it will take me time to get the mk2 up and running.

I have a number of new products in development at the moment and all will be revealed at the next AES. The Stinger Mk2 I will release ASAP before that.

jkthtyrt

christian1042 30th April 2018 10:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Geoff, so you are saying a MKII will be available next month before AES? Or are you saying before October AES?

Geoff_T 30th April 2018 10:18 PM

Before AES... takes time, design, pcb, metalwork, etc.

jkthtyrt

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian1042 (Post 13288448)
Thanks for the reply Geoff, so you are saying a MKII will be available next month before AES? Or are you saying before October AES?

Conan12 26th July 2018 11:48 AM

Any update on when the Stinger MkII might be available?

pr_simon 27th January 2019 01:54 PM

Hello there,
Quite a few more months have passed, may I ask if the Stinger Mk2 is still happening some time soon or if something came up that forced you to shelve it ?

Also since the 2 DI's can be used simultaneously, I have a question on a potential use for the Stinger that I didn't see documented : provided you respectively discard the dedicated overdrive and the EQ, is it possible then to match the 2 inputs somehow to properly track a direct stereo source like a keyboard/sampler/drum machine or will it necessarily produce noticeably different results on each side ?
I'm not a sound engineer so bear with me if I overlooked some spec that would make the answer obvious to someone more in the know :)

Sequenza 27th January 2019 02:00 PM

Still interested in the upgrade for my mk1, anytime soon? Thanks!

Lucin Niega 21st July 2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff_T (Post 13288458)
Before AES... takes time, design, pcb, metalwork, etc.

jkthtyrt

Was the Stinger V2 ever released? :synth:

Geoff_T 21st July 2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucin Niega (Post 14106921)
Was the Stinger V2 ever released? :synth:

Hi

No, I made the GTP1, GTP2, and GT500 pres but have an idea for something similar but too early to discuss....

Lucin Niega 21st July 2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff_T (Post 14107119)
Hi

No, I made the GTP1, GTP2, and GT500 pres but have an idea for something similar but too early to discuss....

Oh okay. Btw, I really liked the meter on those things.

Sequenza 21st July 2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff_T (Post 14107119)
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply Geoff. Although I love the unit (my current preferred pres for voice and bass), it can be noisy on quiet sources/songs and I'd be happy to save a few dBs of SNR. Would you have any recommendations for an easy fix in this regard?

Thank you!

Geoff_T 22nd July 2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sequenza (Post 14107249)
Thanks for taking the time to reply Geoff. Although I love the unit (my current preferred pres for voice and bass), it can be noisy on quiet sources/songs and I'd be happy to save a few dBs of SNR. Would you have any recommendations for an easy fix in this regard?

Thank you!

Hi

We need to check what's causing that issue so could you ship it here to checkover, please?

jkthtyrt

Sequenza 25th July 2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff_T (Post 14109536)
Hi

We need to check what's causing that issue so could you ship it here to checkover, please?

jkthtyrt

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for offering to check my unit, very appreciated! Shall I contact you through the Aurora website, or by pm here?

Thanks!

Geoff_T 25th July 2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sequenza (Post 14115134)
Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for offering to check my unit, very appreciated! Shall I contact you through the Aurora website, or by pm here?

Thanks!

Hi

I hate PMs...please email to [email protected]

jkthtyrt

Sequenza 25th July 2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff_T (Post 14115172)
Hi

I hate PMs...please email to [email protected]

jkthtyrt

Will do as soon as I'm back in the studio in August. Thanks again!