Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Geekslutz Forum (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/)
-   -   Which tubes for ART Pro VLA II tube replacement? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/1197980-tubes-art-pro-vla-ii-tube-replacement.html)

danibert 18th January 2018 04:55 PM

Which tubes for ART Pro VLA II tube replacement?

Hi folks,

a friend owns an Art Pro VLA II that he doesnt´t use anymore, so he will give it to me for free the next days. I love the modulation behaviour of the device but I don´t like the chinese stock tube´s sound very much. Therefore I plan to replace the tubes.

I will use the compressor mainly in the mixing stage for bass (synth and e-bass), synth pads and vocals. I´m producing Hiphop and House, so I like to achieve a warm, creamy sound, that shines thru in the mix, but especially on vocals, is not too sibliant.

The tubes used are 12AT7 / ECC83
Which tubes manufacturer would you recommend for my purpose?

Thank you

wrgkmc 18th January 2018 06:46 PM

I have one of their small units and I tried out at least a dozen different brands of tubes both current and vintage.
The one that stood out head and shoulders above all the others was an Electro Harmonix. It was louder, clearer and definitely opened up the top and to get some sparkle up top. Those Art units sound a tad muddy with the stock Chinese tubes they have in them. That EH made a big difference.

Just be careful when you put one in. The tab at the top of the tube is slightly longer then others. I didn't notice that when I installed it and when I put the cover back on and tightened it the tab was wedged over the top of another component and it would up getting snapped off. In my case I would have moved that component out of the way to make room if I had seen it.

The EH tubes are very low noise too which is important in a mic preamp.
As an alternative you might want to try an Tung Sol or Mullard, but I'd still choose the EH on the Art stuff. It seems to have what those preamps need most.

Karloff70 18th January 2018 06:54 PM

When I very briefly had one I tried the Kenetek mod and also tried quite a few tubes in it. They do make a difference, but don't expect massive differences I'd say. I quickly sold it on in the end. It has a sound that neither different tubes or even the transformer mod could overrule and you either like it/find it useful or not.

danibert 18th January 2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrgkmc (Post 13080222)
The one that stood out head and shoulders above all the others was an Electro Harmonix. It was louder, clearer and definitely opened up the top and to get some sparkle up top.

Can you tell, which EH model you use? Currently there are 4 different ones:
12AX7 EH, 12AY7, 12AU7 EH and 12AT7 EH

Karloff70 18th January 2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danibert (Post 13080285)
Can you tell, which EH model you use? Currently there are 4 different ones:
12AX7 EH, 12AY7, 12AU7 EH and 12AT7 EH

They would all work, just different gain amounts.

danibert 19th January 2018 11:47 AM

Is there no difference in overall sound between 12AX7 EH, 12AY7, 12AU7 EH and 12AT of the same manufacturer?

Do the have to be matched?
On a website I read, that it´s not that important for ECC83 / 12AX7 of the same manufacturer and model.

And what does matched exactly mean?
Is it the gain? Or frequency response? Or something else?

Deleted 3cb98a6 19th January 2018 07:31 PM

No. They don.t have to be matched

For the best transparence i would have to advise NOS or plain old stock Philips miniwatts/Mullard or TFK.

If it has 12 AT7 in there, then stick to AT7. Do not install AX instead!

Karloff70 19th January 2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pief (Post 13082787)

If it has 12 au7 in there, then stick to Au7. Nothing else.

You'd be surprised how little difference 12anythings to different gain 12somethingelses make in there.

musicfirst234 8th December 2019 01:51 AM

I totally disagree with that statement . I put NOS Sylvania "Red Letter" in both units and I have more control and higher gain in the makeup gain. It has 12 AT7's in the unit.

musicfirst234 8th December 2019 02:02 AM

I do not know exactly what thread it came up that these unit are not transparent. I beg to differ. I get absolutely no distortion artifacts from this compressor with the American Made tubes.It sound clear and clean and it also adds the even harmonics as it should using the tubes for opto coupling. Save your money on any other mods because it is very useful for tracking vocals. That is what I use them for. I use a DBX rack for drums and acoustic guitars.