Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Waves - What does it take? Fix the mouse! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1195540-waves-what-does-take-fix-mouse.html)

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 06:59 PM

Waves - What does it take? Fix the mouse!
 
Are you not bothered by the lousy jumpy mouse cursor movement in your Waves plug-ins? It is really wearing me out. It is so clunky and stressful to use.

I am using Windows and Pro Tools - perhaps the issue is only with this combo?

What does it take for Waves to fix the jumpy mouse cursor in all of their plug-ins? Surely, someone must have brought it up previously?

https://i.imgur.com/S2MdXIB.gif

liv4ree 1st January 2018 09:46 PM

Couple of questions for you. Is this only occurring with Waves plugins? If you create a song and only add this plugin, does it still happen? I doubt this is the issue, but worth a try. Check out the knob mode settings..I think it's in preferences/Plug-ins/VST see what mode it's in eg; default, circular, or linear. Make sure it's set to default.
Also, Update your graphics card driver. Also try this, Control Panel → Appearance → Display, select a zoom level of 100% or 125%. What operating system are you using? Dual or single monitor?

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 10:35 PM

Thanks for your input, @ liv4ree . It only happens with Waves plugins out my many other manufacturer plugins. It has been like this forever for me, using 3-4 different computers, single or dual monitor, all of them Windows OS (7 thru 10), Pro Tools and several Waves versions, everything always upgraded. Only add this plugin (Waves F6) in a session = same issue. I don't have a knob mode setting, using AAX only.

The only thing I haven't tested in-depth is zoom level in Windows (custom scale factor / custom scaling level). I typically run higher than the default 100%. Good suggestion, I will check it kfhkh

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 10:40 PM

Tried the default WIndows scaling. No change. Still jumpy mouse movement. And I did reboot Windows twice. Dammit :cop:

liv4ree 1st January 2018 10:55 PM

wired or wireless mouse?

liv4ree 1st January 2018 11:00 PM

which graphics card are you using?

liv4ree 1st January 2018 11:02 PM

If you have a Nvidia card, Try setting "Threaded optimization" to "Off".

RobinL 1st January 2018 11:05 PM

Really weird I don't have this issue at all. Also on ProTools and Win10.

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liv4ree (Post 13045668)
wired or wireless mouse?

Wired at the moment. Several mice. Logitech and some others. Same problem.

liv4ree 1st January 2018 11:09 PM

It's strange that you've had the issue on three different machines. I've never had an issue with waves plugins, and I've been using them for about 18 years, on 4 different setups. Starting with Windows 98 on a machine with 500 megs of ram.. Man how times have changed.. lol I currently run Windows 10 64 bit with Presonus Studio one 3, 16 gigs of ram

RobinL 1st January 2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes (Post 13045689)
Wired at the moment. Several mice. Logitech and some others. Same problem.

How is your hardware doing?
CPU and GPU temps, RAM, are your SSD's/hard drives still 100% functional? (No damages or loss of speed.?)
To me that looks like a CPU struggling.
Is something running at, or close to 100% is the task manager?

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liv4ree (Post 13045675)
If you have a Nvidia card, Try setting "Threaded optimization" to "Off".

Yes, I have NVIDIA in both my current laptop and tower. I will check that. I don't remember where that setting is, but I'll look it up.

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinL (Post 13045692)
How is your hardware doing?
CPU and GPU temps, RAM, hard drives?
To me that looks like a CPU struggling.
Is something running at, or close to 100% is the task manager?

Thanks, Robin, but no, the issue is happening on several different computers and they are all powerful, not stressed by anything but audio, and optimized for audio.

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liv4ree (Post 13045691)
It's strange that you've had the issue on three different machines. I've never had an issue with waves plugins, and I've been using them for about 18 years, on 4 different setups. Starting with Windows 98 on a machine with 500 megs of ram.. Man how times have changed.. lol I currently run Windows 10 64 bit with Presonus Studio one 3, 16 gigs of ram

Wow, you have me beat on Waves experience! :lol:

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 11:18 PM

I have provided false info :facepalm: My laptop is not running the latest NVIDIA driver. I will check my primary audio computer tower tomorrow. It runs the latest driver. :)

liv4ree 1st January 2018 11:25 PM

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you...

js1 1st January 2018 11:26 PM

I've never had the issue you are experiencing, and I would have to believe that there would be lots of screaming if it wasn't rare. Is there some favorite utility, external device, or program that you use on all your machines that is not that common?

Also, Waves is not shy about their support costs. If one of the plugins that you're using is still in the support period (or you have WUP), open a ticket with them.

liv4ree 1st January 2018 11:29 PM

I was just looking at your Studio gear. We use some of the same equipment. I use the Audient id22 also. Also have the JBL 305's. I'm considering the ASP800 also.

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liv4ree (Post 13045719)
I was just looking at your Studio gear. We use some of the same equipment. I use the Audient id22 also. Also have the JBL 305's. I'm considering the ASP800 also.

Bro? :lol: The ASP800 is great. My new LYD 48's took over from the 305's a couple of weeks ago. But they have served me well.

liv4ree 1st January 2018 11:38 PM

The Lyd48's look nice. I've only had the 305's for less than a year. I personally like them. I also use the Behringer Behritone C50A for mono referencing.

Henrik Hjortnaes 1st January 2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by js1 (Post 13045713)
I've never had the issue you are experiencing, and I would have to believe that there would be lots of screaming if it wasn't rare. Is there some favorite utility, external device, or program that you use on all your machines that is not that common?

Also, Waves is not shy about their support costs. If one of the plugins that you're using is still in the support period (or you have WUP), open a ticket with them.

Thanks, @ js1 . Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but I will continue troubleshooting tomorrow, with the pointers from all of you guys. The only common denominator is... Pro Tools and NVIDIA cards :) Oh and Intel CPU's.

I could use my Waves F6 for reporting, if needed. I just bought it on sale. Off topic, but it's pretty awesome for the money. Feature packed and light on resources.

liv4ree 2nd January 2018 10:35 PM

Any luck??

loo 15th June 2018 07:17 PM

Bump.

I only just came to the realization last night that Waves plugins being visually herky-jerky is not the norm. I set "Threaded optimization" off in the nvidia control panel and it did completely solve the problem. Shut down the computer, got some sleep, came back this morning and Waves plugins are back to being herky-jerky. Threaded optimization is still set to off, so I'm at a loss for how to solve this.

Edit: After further tinkering, Vertical Sync seems to be a large factor. I'd read elsewhere that you want vsync off for Waves plugins. This does not appear to be the case for me. I tried every available vsync setting in combination with every available refresh rate (50/59/60hz) and vsync on at 50hz is by far the least herky-jerky. It's about 98% smooth with only the occasional visual hiccup now.

I'm using an Evga GTX 750 TI, Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, Windows 8.1 x64 - if anyone wants to take a stab at what exactly is the cause of this.

incredigital 11th May 2019 03:42 PM

Although this is an old thread, I just wanted to add my 2 cents here, since I had this issue too for a long time. You can get it kind of fixed, but the way the mouse behavior in Waves plugins is coded is just unsatisfactory in my opinion. They seem to apply some kind of additional mouse acceleration curve. So even when you don't get the buggy behavior where it's jerky and uncontrollable, you still get some weird behavior like e.g. high horizontal sensitivity and low vertical sensitivity when dragging around EQ nodes and such… I have worked on macOS and Windows and in different DAWs over the years and it's always been like this. I find using Waves plugins with the mouse arduous to this day and I wonder if I'm the only one. Other plugins don't do any of this sensitivity/acceleration weirdness.

hornyhornyhorny 13th May 2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incredigital (Post 13976628)
Although this is an old thread, I just wanted to add my 2 cents here, since I had this issue too for a long time. You can get it kind of fixed, but the way the mouse behavior in Waves plugins is coded is just unsatisfactory in my opinion. They seem to apply some kind of additional mouse acceleration curve. So even when you don't get the buggy behavior where it's jerky and uncontrollable, you still get some weird behavior like e.g. high horizontal sensitivity and low vertical sensitivity when dragging around EQ nodes and such… I have worked on macOS and Windows and in different DAWs over the years and it's always been like this. I find using Waves plugins with the mouse arduous to this day and I wonder if I'm the only one. Other plugins don't do any of this sensitivity/acceleration weirdness.

I have found this kind of non-linear mouse behaviour also in some Softube coded plugins (and Ableton Live hidz), but mostly with Waves. For example H-EQ, unusable...

I have always wondered why isn't there more rant about this subject and why would any sane software developer choose implement it like that.