Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Thermionic Culture Fat bustard / Red Bustard or Tube Tech SSA2A (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1186256-thermionic-culture-fat-bustard-red-bustard-tube-tech-ssa2a.html)

Cordis 6th November 2017 03:30 AM

Thermionic Culture Fat bustard / Red Bustard or Tube Tech SSA2A

I've been using so different summing mixers for a long time at the commercial studios and , time to build my own studio has come. And I stuck which summing mixer should I buy. The best what I've tried was Shadow Hills equinox (which had 2 gamma preamps and 32 Chanels) BUT I'd like to try something else.

I DEFINATELY NOT A BIG FAN of Neve 8816 (which does nothing useful for me) but I can't buy the bid one full console (over $40.000 for me...hm, not sure that's the reasonable investment)

SO !

MY CHOISE is these guys :

Thermionic Culture
1)Fat Bustard (I wonder about filters at the end of the out pre section. I mean, I don't want to pay for the EQ I need nice summing buy not EQ r stereo things)
2)Red Bustard (Which look weird but probably same like fat one)

Tube tech
1)SSA2a
2)SSA2b (which probably is totally same only difference it does like mono Chanels manually for the first 4 Chanels and more expensive just coz that $1000 deference I'd say)

SO WHICH ONE ?

Sound what I'd like to get is aggressive , open , punchy , dirty , and things like that.

seedee701 7th November 2017 12:23 AM

i use the fat bustard plus dangerous 2bus to the AUX IN in my hybrid setup (32 analog i/o)

mixing only

cool is your choice of subtleness or colour
-> attitude

i use the pultec-ish bass lift/cut almost as a default on the 2buss

occasionally the bass to mono comes in very handy

i hardly ever use (maybe i should) the top lift as i have the kush - clariphonic down the line for shelfing.

i never use the spread

i do use the out-level to occasionally control my level into the bus comp in case i was a little 'excited' and need to back-off a little for mixdown... can be a nice last minute ass-saver...

so to me it is a lot more than a summing tool. it's a very cool and versatile tone box. 100% recallable

sergioelectro 21st July 2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seedee701 (Post 12944846)
i use the fat bustard plus dangerous 2bus to the AUX IN in my hybrid setup (32 analog i/o)

mixing only

cool is your choice of subtleness or colour
-> attitude

i use the pultec-ish bass lift/cut almost as a default on the 2buss

occasionally the bass to mono comes in very handy

i hardly ever use (maybe i should) the top lift as i have the kush - clariphonic down the line for shelfing.

i never use the spread

i do use the out-level to occasionally control my level into the bus comp in case i was a little 'excited' and need to back-off a little for mixdown... can be a nice last minute ass-saver...

so to me it is a lot more than a summing tool. it's a very cool and versatile tone box. 100% recallable

Hello,

Is it worth getting a Fat bustard if I already own a Thermionic Phoenix and treat separetly all my tracks with it?

Do we get the same result?

Thanks you for your feedback

Regards

Sergio

seedee701 21st July 2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sergioelectro (Post 14107084)
Hello,

Is it worth getting a Fat bustard if I already own a Thermionic Phoenix and treat separetly all my tracks with it?

Do we get the same result?

Thanks you for your feedback

Regards

Sergio

FB is not a compressor, but instead has EQ and a variable amount of harmonic distortion. So depending on what you need to do it will do what you won't achieve with a Phoenix an could complement it

sergioelectro 21st July 2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seedee701 (Post 14107755)
FB is not a compressor, but instead has EQ and a variable amount of harmonic distortion. So depending on what you need to do it will do what you won't achieve with a Phoenix an could complement it

thanks for message, but by driving the input gain on the Phoenix and switching off the compression, I kind of believe that I get the same kind of tube distortion I would get with fat bustard?
Am I wrong?

Cheers

Sergio

seedee701 22nd July 2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sergioelectro (Post 14107866)
thanks for message, but by driving the input gain on the Phoenix and switching off the compression, I kind of believe that I get the same kind of tube distortion I would get with fat bustard?
Am I wrong?

Cheers

Sergio

you would need to have a look at both their input/output stages an see what kind of circuit-designs and tubes are used. i have never researched this and therefore can't make a qualified statement.