Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Bitwig Studio (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bitwig-studio/)
-   -   Bitwig / Reaper Multi Core CPU Efficiency (Live sucks) (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bitwig-studio/1184315-bitwig-reaper-multi-core-cpu-efficiency-live-sucks.html)

b0se 26th October 2017 11:36 PM

Bitwig / Reaper Multi Core CPU Efficiency (Live sucks)
 
Hey there,

I use Live 9 due to the ease of electronic production but am getting fed up with its terrible coding and inability to use multiple CPU cores/threads.

How does Bitwig 2 compare to the efficiency of Reaper?

toowrongfoo 29th October 2017 06:51 AM

Nothing is as good as reaper in CPU usage. It's not even close.

But I'm curious, I experienced the "crazy cpu use with one instance" in live when I used it, but it spread out as I added instances. In the end, that wasn't a problem.

Bitwig: Better than before, not super awesome (I love bitwig though, it's my primary) Reason? It's getting worse every release. I'm stuck on 8.3 and I don't like it.

Going back to reaper, it was a terrific DAW 5> years ago. It hasn't done much since then and my recent demo made me.... bored. But the cpu use is second to none.

b0se 29th October 2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toowrongfoo (Post 12929727)
Nothing is as good as reaper in CPU usage. It's not even close.

But I'm curious, I experienced the "crazy cpu use with one instance" in live when I used it, but it spread out as I added instances. In the end, that wasn't a problem.

Bitwig: Better than before, not super awesome (I love bitwig though, it's my primary) Reason? It's getting worse every release. I'm stuck on 8.3 and I don't like it.

Going back to reaper, it was a terrific DAW 5> years ago. It hasn't done much since then and my recent demo made me.... bored. But the cpu use is second to none.

Might have to migrate to Bitwig then. I couldn't use Reaper for production, working with scenes just feels so intuitively 'right' fir me.

toowrongfoo 29th October 2017 07:09 PM

It's a fun program, but fair warning, it's a gateway-drug.

I've gotten an APC40 mkII and a Launchpad pro to go with it (mosses scripts are excellent) and can't imagine not having them. Really cool.

b0se 29th October 2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toowrongfoo (Post 12930469)
It's a fun program, but fair warning, it's a gateway-drug.

I've gotten an APC40 mkII and a Launchpad pro to go with it (mosses scripts are excellent) and can't imagine not having them. Really cool.

I tried BW a while back (before v2) and quite liked it. I have the Push 2 and there is a script that supports it which is rather handy. I'll trial V2 soon.

drezz 20th November 2017 10:35 PM

Bitwig 2.2.2 is fantastic. I was using Reaper and Live, but switched to Bitwig at v.2 and absolutely love it. Would never go back to Live now. I still use Reaper for mastering and a few odd jobs here and there, but Bitwig is a keeper. Awesome program. I find the efficiency of it pretty good actually, and it plays nice with the AA plugs too. The modulation features are very powerful, you can even build really quite sophisticated modular synths and device chains with loads of possibilities.........Great thing is,plugins are sandboxed, so if you get a crash, you just re-start the audio engine, while the song is still open and it gets the project going again. 9 times out of ten it just works, occasionally you may have to undo any offending plugins and things are back on. BW is definitely worth checking out if you're into clip based stuff. Scripts too for all the usual Live controllers, i.e. push 1&2 and apc/akai stuff................

b0se 20th November 2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drezz (Post 12970456)
Bitwig 2.2.2 is fantastic. I was using Reaper and Live, but switched to Bitwig at v.2 and absolutely love it. Would never go back to Live now. I still use Reaper for mastering and a few odd jobs here and there, but Bitwig is a keeper. Awesome program. I find the efficiency of it pretty good actually, and it plays nice with the AA plugs too. The modulation features are very powerful, you can even build really quite sophisticated modular synths and device chains with loads of possibilities.........Great thing is,plugins are sandboxed, so if you get a crash, you just re-start the audio engine, while the song is still open and it gets the project going again. 9 times out of ten it just works, occasionally you may have to undo any offending plugins and things are back on. BW is definitely worth checking out if you're into clip based stuff. Scripts too for all the usual Live controllers, i.e. push 1&2 and apc/akai stuff................

I did enjoy BW when I tested it, nicer UI than Live too. They performed similarly with respect to CPOU usage back then (1.3 if I recall correctly).

Sandboxed plugins is a huge bonus. I've had some awful times with Live crashing upon opening a project, and Ableton's support was horrific.

I use Reaper for mastering too.