Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Lexicon MX500: “Hardware Plug-In” (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/118391-lexicon-mx500-hardware-plug.html)

Lackatee 9th April 2007 04:03 AM

Lexicon MX500: “Hardware Plug-In”

Looks pretty cool for the price! Anyone here lookin at pickin one of these up as well?

http://www.lexiconpro.com/ProductDet...?productID=146
Price $499
Available 4-20-07 hooppie

uvc1977 9th April 2007 06:53 AM

I currently use a MPX550 and its a good all in one fx processor. Ill be looking at getting one in the future as it will intergrate nicely with Cubase

kats 9th April 2007 02:46 PM

What's the difference between this and the MX 400? I tried the 400 once and wasn't that impressed actually....

LaLaFaV 9th April 2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kats (Post 1221168)
What's the difference between this and the MX 400? I tried the 400 once and wasn't that impressed actually....

Two differences I noticed were that this thing does sampling rates up to 96k and uses Firewire instead of USB.

peeder 27th September 2007 10:16 AM

BTW has this product ever seen the light of day? Are they suffering trying to get the drivers stable? confoosed

philipc 27th September 2007 12:37 PM

its available to buy isnt it? :S I've not used one but i've seen them for sale i'm quite sure.

superjetboy21 27th September 2007 03:42 PM

the other cool feature is that audio is streamed via firewire, where as the mx400 only sends control messages from the computer to the unit.

Killahurts 27th September 2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjetboy21 (Post 1524557)
the other cool feature is that audio is streamed via firewire, where as the mx400 only sends control messages from the computer to the unit.

Actually, audio does stream over USB on the MX400 as well. I've never actually done it (used it as a plug in), but I do run it digitally to and from my console.

Not a bad processor - Reverb is <OK, but I use it mostly for the delay and chorus FX.

Animus 27th September 2007 05:27 PM

I tried out the mx200. I didn't like the reverb at all. Returned it. I like the technology of the plugin stuff though. They just need to release their "real" stuff with this updated technology.

Farshad 28th September 2007 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animus (Post 1524808)
I tried out the mx200. I didn't like the reverb at all. Returned it. I like the technology of the plugin stuff though. They just need to release their "real" stuff with this updated technology.

Right on. I sold mine soon. The reverb was not as good as current high end software plugs IMHO.

manthe 28th September 2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farshad (Post 1526072)
Right on. I sold mine soon. The reverb was not as good as current high end software plugs IMHO.

I gotta disagree. I have the MX400. I also have the UAD-1 Plate 140, IK Multimedia CSR, Altiverb 5 and Dreamver/Realverb Pro (UAD). The MX400 holds up and often exceeds all of them in quality, IMO. You have to spend a little time and tweak it. It pays off if you do.

I'm not saying that this unit sounds as good as a high-end unit, but it beats most plug-ins, to my ears.

I also found that, while it sounds pretty good as a channel insert, it sounds even better on a bus at 100% wet and blended to taste. It shines pretty well in that scenario.

I'll have a Rumor in a few months too. I'm looking forward to this.

Also, I believe that poster who said this unit carries audio over USB is mistaken. The USB cable only carries control data. Unless you can clue me in to something undocumented...

Animus 28th September 2007 07:01 AM

One of the biggest gripes was the lack of tweakability. None of the classic Lexicon controls. I will stick with my 2 Nuverbs, PCM80 and PCM90 for the time being. Hopefully Lexicon will get in gear and update their mid range and up reverbs.

philipc 28th September 2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manthe (Post 1526454)
I gotta disagree. I have the MX400. I also have the UAD-1 Plate 140, IK Multimedia CSR, Altiverb 5 and Dreamver/Realverb Pro (UAD). The MX400 holds up and often exceeds all of them in quality, IMO. You have to spend a little time and tweak it. It pays off if you do.

I'm not saying that this unit sounds as good as a high-end unit, but it beats most plug-ins, to my ears.

I also found that, while it sounds pretty good as a channel insert, it sounds even better on a bus at 100% wet and blended to taste. It shines pretty well in that scenario.

I'll have a Rumor in a few months too. I'm looking forward to this.

Also, I believe that poster who said this unit carries audio over USB is mistaken. The USB cable only carries control data. Unless you can clue me in to something undocumented...

The MX500 carries the audio over USB (or it might be firewire actually now I think about it), the other versions just allow for automation data etc.

Killahurts 28th September 2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

I gotta disagree. I have the MX400...Also, I believe that poster who said this unit carries audio over USB is mistaken. The USB cable only carries control data. Unless you can clue me in to something undocumented...

No I'm not mistaken, and it's not undocumented. If you own one, then read page 42 of the manual, "Using the MX400 as a Hardware Plug-in". It describes how to use the provided VST or AU plug-ins to access the unit over USB. Not only does it send and receive stereo that way, but surround as well.

Killahurts 28th September 2007 03:24 PM

hidz

Then I got to the part about audio connections, which you still have to have, apparently.

Sorry, Manthe. Like I said, I've never actually tried it before...

All I've ever heard is the spdif I/O on this thing.

manthe 28th September 2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killahurts (Post 1527079)
No I'm not mistaken, and it's not undocumented. If you own one, then read page 42 of the manual, "Using the MX400 as a Hardware Plug-in". It describes how to use the provided VST or AU plug-ins to access the unit over USB. Not only does it send and receive stereo that way, but surround as well.

I'm sorry, but you've completely misunderstood the manual. There is absolutely no audio that travels on that USB connection. You absolutely must patch physical outputs and inputs and route signal through the unit, physically to get reverb.

The 500 does what you are saying via firewire, but not the 400/200. If you read page 42 through 44, they spell out very clearly that the plugin (VST, AU) simply controls the devices parameters, but that you MUST physically patch the audio through the unit's TRS ports to get sound.

With USB only, it is not physically possible to get any FX on your track.

manthe 28th September 2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killahurts (Post 1527106)
hidz

Then I got to the part about audio connections, which you still have to have, apparently.

Sorry, Manthe. Like I said, I've never actually tried it before...

All I've ever heard is the spdif I/O on this thing.

You have it right.

Killahurts 28th September 2007 04:33 PM

And with that out of the way, I agree with you that the box sounds fine, better than plugs, IMO.

I also think you have to be experienced in reverb parameters to get them to sound good on this unit- the factory reverb programs are not very good, IMO, not even as a starting point.

But I work in surround sometimes, and it's a surround reverb/processor for under $500 that doesn't tax my computer. It's a good value for me.

manthe 28th September 2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killahurts (Post 1527286)
And with that out of the way, I agree with you that the box sounds fine, better than plugs, IMO.

I also think you have to be experienced in reverb parameters to get them to sound good on this unit- the factory reverb programs are not very good, IMO, not even as a starting point.

But I work in surround sometimes, and it's a surround reverb/processor for under $500 that doesn't tax my computer. It's a good value for me.

You bet! The factory presets are just awful. I can see why people might get turned off byh this unit out of the box. But, you're right, if you understand reverbs and their respective parameters, you really can make this unit sing.

Now, for the high-enders, this is obviously a mid-range unit, and will not perform like the top-end stuff, so i can also see how they might be disenchanted. But it is still better than any plugs I have!

peeder 28th September 2007 10:02 PM

Sweetwater is saying 10/14 for these to ship but sweetwater has been saying "two weeks from now" for four months. So when is it gonna be?

Oh Lexicon, are your firewire drivers and plugins dying a miserable death?

I'm interested in this as an upgrade to my tc M300 as a vocal cue verb. My plugin verbs have too much latency for vocal cue use (as would e.g. a Powercore). With the bonus that I could also use the MX500 at mixtime when I want its specific sound. I could also use it as a surround verb when those things come along.

It's not a bad value proposition for $500 but I hafta imagine the bugs will take months to be combed out given these slippages.

I will shoot it out with the Kurzweil Rumour when (if?) it gets here.

sekim 7th November 2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

I'm not saying that this unit sounds as good as a high-end unit, but it beats most plug-ins, to my ears....

That's kinda been my take on my 400 when using spdif I/O and it's "premium" algos. A solid though not overwhelming unit. Usable but not spectacular. Usually a little better than the good plugins. I don't like it as much when using it's converters for I/O though, they aren't so hot imo...

...I read opinions on what made the old boxes shine and most agree the old converters were an important piece of the equation. Older "good" converters tended to be things that sounded decent enough but were not un-colored. So given that I use my 400 via spdif and there are no converters involved at all, I asked myself "what would happen if I introduce coloration to the spdif return?" I'm not going to say it turns a 400 into a PCM or 480 or anything like that, but I will say it'll probably remove most, if not all urges to sell the box. I've been using the freebie Voxengo Tube Amp or ColorTone plugs on the spdif return strip and each preset gives the box/setting a bit of a new 'personality' and (imo at least) some of those presets allow this box separate itself from the plugin world by a noticable amount.

manthe 7th November 2007 10:12 PM

Interesting idea. I'll have to play with that setup. I like it even with its own converters...obviously not the greatest, but not bad either. As for character, I like to take my OTB signals and route them through a tube pre or 2 on the way back in. I believe this imparts thetype of color your talking about and helps to mask any sterility that the 400's converters impart.

I will hook up the SPDIF tonight and try it with a few 'color' plugs (PSP Vintage Warmer, Voxengo...maybe even Amplitube/Guitar Rig/Nigel/etc.)

The more I use this thing (and the more of my own presets that I build), the more I really like it. Don't get me wrong, I WILL buy a higher end (classic?) Lexicon and/or Kurzweil some day. I will likely hang on to this guy, though. I guess I would sell it to buy the 500 if/when it comes out. I have an LXP-1 and an LXP-5 that I love as well. Between these three units, I hardly touch a plug-in any more, except the UAD Plate 140...I still really like that one on a lot of things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sekim (Post 1614780)
That's kinda been my take on my 400 when using spdif I/O and it's "premium" algos. A solid though not overwhelming unit. Usable but not spectacular. Usually a little better than the good plugins. I don't like it as much when using it's converters for I/O though, they aren't so hot imo...

...I read opinions on what made the old boxes shine and most agree the old converters were an important piece of the equation. Older "good" converters tended to be things that sounded decent enough but were not un-colored. So given that I use my 400 via spdif and there are no converters involved at all, I asked myself "what would happen if I introduce coloration to the spdif return?" I'm not going to say it turns a 400 into a PCM or 480 or anything like that, but I will say it'll probably remove most, if not all urges to sell the box. I've been using the freebie Voxengo Tube Amp or ColorTone plugs on the spdif return strip and each preset gives the box/setting a bit of a new 'personality' and (imo at least) some of those presets allow this box separate itself from the plugin world by a noticable amount.

sekim 7th November 2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manthe (Post 1614925)
Interesting idea. I'll have to play with that setup...

Try the freebie Voxengo Tube Amp on the "pretty colored" (or whatever it's labeled) preset. That one is really noticable in a good way and I've liked it on a small hall on aux for some stuff i'm working on right now... For me, it really made this box separate itself from the best plugins.

blackcom 23rd April 2009 04:13 AM

Anyone who knows if the SPDIF on the MX400 accepts AES/EBU?

muziekschuur 11th November 2010 09:39 AM

End 2009 I contacted Lexicon about their MX500 and they did not release this product. Because well..... They didn't say. But they have had an incredible amount of troubles getting the firewire unit on the PCM96 to behave nicely. So I am quite sure that is the reason the MX500 didn't fly in the end.

Still hoping for such an animal to arise from the Lexicon company though.

sisrdw1 14th June 2011 07:49 PM

Update 06/14/2011

A couple of Lexicon MX500 have recently shown up for sale on e-bay.

One has just sold today, the current one ends in a week (6/21/2011).

Hope that helps somebody if still interested.

muziekschuur 16th June 2011 08:45 AM

But no mx500 drivers on the website of Lexicon...

Bender888 16th June 2011 09:45 PM

Hmmm, I notice they have new firmware for the 400 series. (as of May 2011)

Will flash mine today, see if it improves anything? heh

muziekschuur 26th September 2011 11:31 AM

what did you gain?

dio 26th September 2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender888 (Post 6758870)
Hmmm, I notice they have new firmware for the 400 series. (as of May 2011)

Will flash mine today, see if it improves anything? heh

Good to know the actualy updated something....

abduction