Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Modular Mania - All Things Eurorack and Modular Synths/Effects (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/)
-   -   Favourite Euro drum module (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/1179520-favourite-euro-drum-module.html)

justjools 29th September 2017 07:19 PM

Favourite Euro drum module
 
What's your favourite drum module? I am a bit more interested in this to see what you like but I might be tempted to try one, as I'm happy doing drums in Ableton or using the Nord drum works well with BSP.

subdo 29th September 2017 07:34 PM

I haven't tried that many but the SSF entity bass drum has been my favorite so far.
Entity BDS — STEADY STATE FATE

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=500w

I have Dinky's Taiko which is fun but very digital and experimental in comparison. It makes some great lowfi video gamey sounds.

I also had Noise Engineering's BIA for a while and it was good fun too. I didn't really gel with the Neuron.

booksy 29th September 2017 07:50 PM

The Noise Engineering Basimilus Alter is probably my favorite overall - it is one of many favorite modules period. It tracks well so it works well as an interesting digital osc voice, but it can do some cool 909-ish bass drums as well.

Two other drum modules I like are the TTA hats909, which have a nice dustiness to them and a surprising amount of range with the cv inputs; and the Dinsync Drumdokta2, though that is basically just a full fledged drum machine.

Between these three, plus a few others, I feel really happy w my modular drum machine...

DSC 30th September 2017 12:20 AM

Love this setup so far!

http://www.absolutextremes.com/eurodrums.jpg

Reptil 30th September 2017 01:31 AM

I can imagine! that's a lot of drum machine on a small surface. I missed all of these. No dough. :lol:
I don't have a favorite drum module (yet). Maybe my Tama Techstar TS305.

justjools 30th September 2017 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All very tasty. The SP-12 from the DSP guy looks interesting. I'd really like to know how you put a drum machine on a chip/how you build a chip. I thought you could only do that stuff in labs with expensive high end silicon machine things?

This is what I do with my Nord drum. It works well but am tempted to get something for CV modulation to complement it. This is quite an early pic and currently battling with my third row but it stops here!

Eigenwert 30th September 2017 12:25 PM

Check out the Dijkstar ReDrum modules, they are great

Coorec 30th September 2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eigenwert (Post 12878769)
Check out the Dijkstar ReDrum modules, they are great

And also most of the time not available.. he is saying since 5 weeks Kick will be available in 2 weeks..

kindredlost 30th September 2017 02:01 PM

I don't use a lot of pre made drum sounds in my music, but when I do I keep a TTA SD808 on hand. I generate the rest from scratch.

I do have the more pedestrian MI Grids and NE Numeric Repetitor which I run through an NE Confundo Funkitus for some less-than-predictable patterns.

kindredlost 30th September 2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSC (Post 12878097)

Nice modules and even nicer cables.

Eigenwert 30th September 2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coorec (Post 12878812)
And also most of the time not available.. he is saying since 5 weeks Kick will be available in 2 weeks..

So others seem to like them as well :)

I have all three of his modules.

Be patient, Richard is a great guy and his drum modules are among the best around. I have more euro drum modules but his ones are the ones I recommend the most.

Coorec 30th September 2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eigenwert (Post 12878871)
So others seem to like them as well :)

I have all three of his modules.

Be patient, Richard is a great guy and his drum modules are among the best around. I have more euro drum modules but his ones are the ones I recommend the most.

Whats the third? Kick and Clap on the site, i there more?

Eigenwert 30th September 2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coorec (Post 12878911)
Whats the third? Kick and Clap on the site, i there more?

The TK-09, a kickdrum based on the 909. I has been discontinued before the other modules became available. I purchased the last one he had.

robinkle 30th September 2017 05:19 PM

In my search for simmons clones I came across the Boomtschak by Audio Damage. It looks interesting.

https://www.audiodamage.com/collecti...m14-boomtschak

Accent 1st October 2017 07:34 AM

As I'm a big fan of rolling my own drums regardless of the format, lately my favorite source of drum sounds has been the combo of the Benjolin and Optomix, with the Optomix triggered from the Strike input.

MindMachine 1st October 2017 07:59 AM

I am old school robot rhythm machines so I have simple choices.

I only have a few drum modules (EMW Snare Lab, Tiptop HATS909 and SD808). I also use EMW Noise Station to roll my own everything drum wise.

I'm likely adding a TT SD909, because it is so very versatile and has a fair amount of control. I also really like the newer expanded LDB.

My favorite that I own by far is the TT HATS909. It can do all of the hi-hat, cymbal, gong-ish sounds I want and a ton of industrial or harsh metallic sounds. Unreal variety. Two would even be better.

Coorec 1st October 2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindMachine (Post 12880142)
I am old school robot rhythm machines so I have simple choices.

I only have a few drum modules (EMW Snare Lab, Tiptop HATS909 and SD808). I also use EMW Noise Station to roll my own everything drum wise.

I'm likely adding a TT SD909, because it is so very versatile and has a fair amount of control. I also really like the newer expanded LDB.

My favorite that I own by far is the TT HATS909. It can do all of the hi-hat, cymbal, gong-ish sounds I want and a ton of industrial or harsh metallic sounds. Unreal variety. Two would even be better.

How is the EMW snare lab working for you? I have it on my wishlist but there is not much demo stuff around to make an educated decision.

What do you mean with LDB?

:)

robocoder 1st October 2017 09:29 AM

after many purchase with differend dedicated modules i arrived at the conclusion that euro drums modules are not for me, so far i still make kick drums and hats with filters and various noise colors. in the end i bought the nord drum 2, amazing sound engine, 6 trig input, only lack of cv control but for that i still use "handmade" kick drum or the BIA

Eigenwert 1st October 2017 09:56 AM

I sold my HATS909. At the end of the release phase it would always do a small but annoying click. So I always was using another VCA and envelope for it to get rid of that click.

rlg 1st October 2017 01:25 PM

I've got the Basimilus Iteritas Alter in my rack, and it's great fun to play with. Also a handful of Erica Synths Pico Drums, which offer a quick and low HP way to add drum/percussion/sample voices.

Derp 2nd October 2017 06:06 PM

I'm kind of an EMW fanboi when it comes to drums. I have a lot of their modules, but I'd have to say the Analog Drum Synth is the most versatile and gets the most use. It's like an advanced analog version of a Korg ER-1 voice. Super flexible and can fill most any role.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coorec (Post 12880196)
How is the EMW snare lab working for you? I have it on my wishlist but there is not much demo stuff around to make an educated decision.

It's a cool module, but it doesn't cover all of the snare bases. Kind of 808/CR78-ish at its core and doesn't have that much wiggle room outside of that other than having ridiculous decay possibilities. I wouldn't recommend it as one's primary snare module.

chrisso 2nd October 2017 06:49 PM

I like EMW Digi Drums.
Also Basimilus Iteritas Alter, and Jomox Modbase 09.

Eigenwert 2nd October 2017 07:08 PM

I have a ModBase 09 too and love the demos of the EMW Digidrum. I might sell the ModBase

subdo 2nd October 2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eigenwert (Post 12880232)
I sold my HATS909. At the end of the release phase it would always do a small but annoying click. So I always was using another VCA and envelope for it to get rid of that click.

I do this with the CP909 and the Optomix. Not because it's clicky but just because there is no decay control on the CP909 and sometimes I just want really short claps. I think it sounds great. The damper on the Opto can give it a dark and muffled tone and with a short release can almost sound like a finger snap.

slaughtrhaus 3rd October 2017 03:31 PM

I love Neuron. So versatile. You can make almost any percussion sound on it. kfhkh

Eigenwert 3rd October 2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subdo (Post 12882654)
I do this with the CP909 and the Optomix. Not because it's clicky but just because there is no decay control on the CP909 and sometimes I just want really short claps. I think it sounds great. The damper on the Opto can give it a dark and muffled tone and with a short release can almost sound like a finger snap.

The Dijkstar THC hooppie clap has a very good control over parameters. Also the housings of the Dijkstar modules are great.

Regarding the Tiptop modules I think the 909 hats have the best control and cv abilities. The one of them I have also lacks control, it's the clave/woodblock/ rimshot. I especially love such clave and woodblock sounds.

mattlange 4th October 2017 06:26 AM

NE BIA

void23 4th October 2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattlange (Post 12885355)
NE BIA

The BIA is too good of a VCO to waste on drums. ;)

chrisso 4th October 2017 05:03 PM

That's why I record everything (overdub).

Accent 5th October 2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 12882421)
I'm kind of an EMW fanboi when it comes to drums. I have a lot of their modules, but I'd have to say the Analog Drum Synth is the most versatile and gets the most use. It's like an advanced analog version of a Korg ER-1 voice. Super flexible and can fill most any role.

I hadn't heard of this one before, but an analog eurorack version of the ER-1 sounds wonderful to me. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding any demos. Are there any you know of, or any of your own work you can share that uses the module?