Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Quiet air conditioner for studio? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/117592-quiet-air-conditioner-studio.html)

bigbongo 4th April 2007 08:12 AM

Quiet air conditioner for studio?

I'm moving to a new space and need Aircon, most of the sites I've looked at don't mention how loud these units are. Can anyone recommend a really quiet wall mounted split type airconditioner?

bb

Kiwiburger 4th April 2007 09:13 AM

No such thing (unless your defininition of really quiet is very different from mine).

Do you need heating? Or cooling? Or just airflow?

IMO the ultimate is to build two chambers for each quiet room that needs ventilation. These may as well be big enough to stand in, for maintenance. Best built out of concrete. Old shipping containers or plastic water tanks, portaloos etc
I used large plastic rubbish bins for mine, but bigger would have been better.

Line these with foam or carefully covered fibreglass (yuck) so they are basically anechoic. One would house your fan & heater and filtered air intake. The other would have a waste air vent. Duct these to your quiet rooms, each chamber will function as a muffler. It's easier to force clean air into a room than to suck it out.

My 2c.

EDIT: plastic chambers not suitable for heating - which is why I wish I had built large concrete chambers. They are ok for simple ventilation, which is mainly what I need.

Bob Yordan 4th April 2007 09:23 AM

I agree

Put as much heat generating gear in 'another' room as possible, that is sound isolated from the room that you work within.

I will add a portable cooling unit in the 'next room' so that the noise dont
get to prominent if the door is 'a little' opened. This is a room that access
both my recording & mastering/mixing room.

howdy

bigbongo 4th April 2007 09:47 AM

the space is a small [3.5m x 4m] cellar with no rooms off it so seperate room isn't really an option [ unless I can blag some space in the room above ].

I could build a baffle cover over the unit itself I suppose to muffle it. It's just me an the occasional other working down there so if I need absolute quiet I can turn the thing off for a few minutes.

bb

illynoise 4th April 2007 10:08 AM

Air Conditioning choices......

I'm looking for a friend for his new studio. We were thinking about a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim, anybody have any luck or experience with these units? Also saw an LG "Art Cool".

Mainly, are they quiet?

If this needs to be moved to another forum, please point me in the right direction!

TIA,

illynoise 4th April 2007 10:11 AM

Sorry I didn't see the other thread two below mine. I did a search but didn't come up with Mr. Slim for anything. Sorry to the person below with a similar post!!!!

Kiwiburger 4th April 2007 10:41 AM

An idea i've had if I had to build another studio cheaply ...

Silent airconditioning is really expensive, but necessary if you are a busy commercial studio. But for a project studio where you can shut down the aircon for the critical recording times ...

I would consider having some 2" PVC pipe with ball valves built into the walls - one for air inlet, the other for air exhaust. Or maybe larger butterfly valves, but they get a bit expensive. Or possibly just make some little doors, like a cat-flap, but solid enough so they can be clamped airtight with maybe a spring catch. I would situate the switch for the fan right near the valve/door so I could open the valve and turn on the fan at the same time - maybe duct the exhaust so the valve for that is in the same place for easy operation.

An airtight room with all heaters and fans turned off is very quiet - but you still need to breathe eventually.

Muffler chambers or a second room is definately better, because without them sound just enters and leaves freely. But at a pinch, being able to control the ventilation might be a cheap solution.

Heating is easy and efficient with a fan heater. I don't have much need for cooling where I live, but if I needed some, I would consider evaporative cooling. It's very cheap to run - basically just the cost of running a fan.

All you would need to do is pump air through some aluminum ducting outside which is covered in fiberglass. Arrange for water to drip onto this so the fibreglass is constantly kept wet (basic irrigation stuff). On a hot day, the water evaporating cools the aluminum ducting and hence the air being forced through it.

Ah forgot - this is High End ... never mind. (You could still blow a lot of money on this ...).

bigbongo 4th April 2007 12:48 PM

... thanks. this all sounds a bit expensive and loads of work, I know this is high end but I think a quiet-ish wall unit that I can switch off at optimum times is the compromise answer... plus it's still high end-ish.

massimo 4th April 2007 12:51 PM

Daikin makes the quietest air conditioners. Check noise specs against other brands.

best regards
Massimo

philosi 4th April 2007 01:00 PM

I would never recommend a unit in the control room itself. Air conditioning in a studio is all about making the unit is running as inefficiently as possible. Lots of oversized flex-duct from the unit to the register will make for 100% silent operation. I have a 4 ton unit cooling the studio 365 days a year and it is totally un audible. I can hear the little fan in the back of the AMS 10 feet away but not the air conditioner... Remember, when cooling a room where there will be an open mic, make sure the air does not blow anywhere near the mic positions. And, if there is a guitar player no direct air on the guitar either... Unless you like a guitar that is always sharp to the track!

Football 4th April 2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illynoise (Post 1212822)
I'm looking for a friend for his new studio. We were thinking about a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim, anybody have any luck or experience with these units? Also saw an LG "Art Cool".

Mainly, are they quiet?

If this needs to be moved to another forum, please point me in the right direction!

TIA,

Bingo!

There is a studio (great place with an old Neve board) in Watertown MA with a Mitsubishi Mr Slim in the control room. The owner loves it. I do believe they are more than worth a look. He showed me it last summer and it seems great. Only need a three inch hole in the wall.

I noticed the LG's on sale recently (I am considering something like this for myself as well) but don't know anything about the quality. I saw them on sale at:

www.acdirect.com

They have both LG and Mitsubishi Mr Slim.

Surely someone else must have also tried this in a studio also?

donkerce 4th April 2007 02:09 PM

I have the LG Artcool in my place. My space is around 15 feet by 20 feet. I love the thing. It does both heat and air. When the fan is set to low, it's very quiet. Not quiet enough to record a soft vocal, but fine for most everything else. And the best part is there is no ductwork to run. Just punch a two inch hole thru the wall and it connects to a heat pump outside.

d

Fleaman 4th April 2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwiburger (Post 1212791)
Line these with foam or carefully covered fibreglass (yuck) so they are basically anechoic. One would house your fan & heater and filtered air intake. The other would have a waste air vent. Duct these to your quiet rooms, each chamber will function as a muffler. It's easier to force clean air into a room than to suck it out.

So this is a fiberglass muffler in the air track? What about mold/moisture issues?

Tripper 5th April 2007 11:39 AM

I did quite a bit of research on this when i was moving studios. ideally you'd want to go with the whole ducting route, but if split type is your only option, i'd suggest the mitsubushi eletric starmex series. I'm in asia and the mitisubushi office here really went out of their way to help me, allowing me to visit their showroom to test all the different models they have, before i finally settled on the starmex. (i'm not sure if thats avaliable where you are.)

As it is now, i'm pretty happy with my choice. The unit is really very quiet, unless you got it on full speed or on auto where you WILL hear it working.

Of course, you do realise, the quiter your studio gets, the louder it becomes. :)

bpatural 5th April 2007 02:27 PM

I got a split unit for my new studio. I'ts quiet, but maybe not quite as much as I wished. I'd say in it's quietest setting it's as loud as a normal fan on low (ok for the control room but way too loud for the booth). All these work on the same principal so I would assume other units would be the same.
-Brian

seaneldon 5th April 2007 02:59 PM

http://uplink.space.com/attachments/...n_of_worms.jpg

Neve8128 5th April 2007 04:04 PM

I use one of these and like it a lot. The quiest I could find and the cheapest as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KFS12GW-by-Soleu...QQcmdZViewItem

hihello 22nd May 2011 10:20 PM

I know this has long expired but... I had a mr. Slim installed in a lounge. after some punks huffed the freon, the unit was recharged but then it developed an awful hissing noise. I've since had multiple repairmen look at it and all Have said that with moisture and no inline dryer it will make that sound. It was never quiet enough anyhow. I would never put a mic up in a room with that thing, but it is easy to turn off!

prologicmusic 23rd May 2011 02:57 AM

are there any AC units that dont require an exhaust? My studio has no windows and is surrounded by brick walls. But it gets hot as hell in here during the summer.

RJHollins 23rd May 2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prologicmusic (Post 6669062)
are there any AC units that dont require an exhaust? My studio has no windows and is surrounded by brick walls. But it gets hot as hell in here during the summer.

I'm also in research mode for HVAC for a Control room.

I'm considering the mini-split design ... but the 'other' issue is that we still
need to get fresh air into the room [with exhaust].

None of the mini-splits can do this [US] ... so I still need to hack 2 additional holes into this room.

Talking with 1 AC wholesaler ... he mentioned that there were parts issues with LG ... saying installers were not favoring them !?!?
The Mitsubishi line looks interesting ... but ... I'm still researching.

How are u getting fresh air into your room ?

Fleaman 23rd May 2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

You have to get the heat out of the room somehow. Can't change the law of physics.

But a 'split' system would be the closest thing to a AC w/o exhaust. You'll still have to get the small freon pipes through those walls somehow....

cinealta 23rd May 2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

are there any AC units that dont require an exhaust? My studio has no windows and is surrounded by brick walls.

Just get the Sharp portable that is "Library quiet" (38 dB). You can exhaust it right into the drywall (which will vent up to the attic).

stev0 23rd May 2011 04:58 AM

Where's all the recommendations for a vintage, tube powered ac unit?

prologicmusic 23rd May 2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinealta (Post 6669290)
Just get the Sharp portable that is "Library quiet" (38 dB). You can exhaust it right into the drywall (which will vent up to the attic).

wouldnt that make the walls rot? from all the humidity?

cinealta 23rd May 2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prologicmusic (Post 6669521)
wouldnt that make the walls rot? from all the humidity?

No, there's a humidity trap in the machine (must empty the water monthly). It's not a humidifier. The cold air is dry. If it were humid, your guitars and gear would get condensation. AFAIK, it comes with a dry wall kit and circular interface (as well as the window exhausts etc).

prologicmusic 23rd May 2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinealta (Post 6669541)
No, there's a humidity trap in the machine (must empty the water monthly). It's not a humidifier. The cold air is dry. If it were humid, your guitars and gear would get condensation. AFAIK, it comes with a dry wall kit and circular interface (as well as the window exhausts etc).

oh ok kool. what model should i check out?

netomtz88 23rd May 2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinealta (Post 6669290)

Hey Im in the same situation, I need heating and cooling in my studio/garage.
Will the dba level be too much of difference between the sharp and this one?
Soleus LX-140 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner With Heat Pump - VALUE GROUND SHIPPING

Specifications
Model: Soleus LX-140
Product Type: 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner
Product Weight: 82 lbs.
Product Dimensions: 17.5'' W x 32.75'' H x 19'' D
Product Color: Silver and Black
Recommended Room Size: 400 - 525 square feet
Cooling Capacity: 14,000 BTU/Hr
Heating Capacity:12,000 BTU/Hr
Dehumidifying Capacity: 60 pts/day
Power Consumption: 1350 W (cooling) or 1160 W (heating)
Air Flow Volume: 225 CFM
[/INDENT][/INDENT]Power Source: 115 V/ 60 Hz
Cooling- 12 Amps
Heating- 10.5 Amps
Room Size: 525 sq. ft.
Sound Pressure Level: <46 dB (A)
Cooling Operating Temperature: 60.8-107.6 degrees Fahrenheit
Heating Operating Temperature: 23-89.6 degrees Fahrenheit
Refrigerant: R22
Package Includes: 2 exhaust hoses, 2 hose adaptors, 2 window kit adapters, remote control, 2 AAA batteries, 4 sliding panels (1 dual hose panel, 1 single hose panel, 2 extension panels), 2 air intake and outlet covers, owner's manual
Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty
4-in-1 Technology: Cools, heats, dehumidifies and ventilates
Multi-Color VFD display for easy readability
No permanent installation required - comes with window kit and exhaust hoses
3 speed fan with WaveFlo oscillation distributes more cool air to your room or space
Sleep mode selectable with remote control
Compressor indicator lights up when compressor turns on
Emergency condensate holding tank used when in extremely humid environments
Energy efficient dual motor design for enhanced cooling

I would like some feedback please howdy

Jack Luminous 23rd May 2011 01:39 PM

I did such an install for my project studio at home. Ideal case is to have intake and exhaust from the outside, away from each other (or closed circuit problem may appear). The air conditionning or ventilating unit should be far away from the control room/tracking room, ideally in another room alltogether.

Then you need to have a "noise trap labyrinth" (don't know the exact english words for that) built behind the intake and exhaust pipe coming from the studio rooms. Basically it is two big rectangular units on top of each other full of small mineral wool chunks in a comb-like structure to trap noise while letting air flow, connected together with flexible piping (two for the intake and two for the exhaust so four in total). The noise trap serves two purposes : first trap the noise from the air conditionning unit and also trap the noise from the tracking room that could exit to the outside right thru the piping (105dB at the pipe exhaust a hundred feet away from the tracking room is very well possible, which the neighbours may not appreciate at all).

All of that takes a lot of room and is costly to have it done right, somewhere upward 5 grands, not counting the air conditionning unit itself. The noise trap is roughly 4 cubic meters in total. Be sure to hire someone who has already done such thing because it is tricky. Good luck ! kfhkh

Musiclab 23rd May 2011 02:41 PM

get a split air conditioner, they're more money but they are very quiet and work great. I've had one for about 8 years now in my control room.

cinealta 23rd May 2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prologicmusic (Post 6669554)
oh ok kool. what model should i check out?

I think I've seen the Sharp CV-P10RC around for $399.