Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   What's your pick of the best music dvd? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1171-whats-your-pick-best-music-dvd.html)

Gary5 18th October 2002 07:33 PM

What's your pick of the best music dvd?

What's your pick of the best music dvd currently available, that in
your opinion best showcases (visually, aurally, technically) what
makes the dvd medium so great for this particular format, compared to numerous other music dvd's that are out.

Please say why, rather than just naming a title.

Jules 30th March 2005 07:18 PM

Good question!

Well?

diddlydoo

rynugz007 30th March 2005 07:50 PM

Good thread, im always looking for new music dvd's.

led zeppelin- the new 2disc live dvd
page and plant no quarter unledded

everyone should own these 2, they're mind blowing in every aspect. hands down my 2 favorite music dvd's.

Do spinal tap and purple rain count since they're movies?

also,
pink floyd live at pompeii- young floyd space rockin it out.
U2- go home, live at slane castle
tenacious d- complete masterworks - the best marriage of comedy and music i've ever witnessed outside of spinal tap. About 5 hours worth of it too.

Zooey 30th March 2005 08:05 PM

Portishead - "Roseland New York"

Even if you're not a Portishead fan, check out this DVD. It's beautifully shot and recorded, and seeing turntables and orchestra on the same stage is a trip. How can you go wrong when every member of the band has a Space Echo?

abduction

thethrillfactor 30th March 2005 08:09 PM

MJ's "Thriller"-mixed by Mick Guzuaski

Roxy Music's "Avalon"-mixed by Bob Clearmountain

Both showcase some of the ways established records can be improved remixed for DVD.

I am interested in hearing the new NIN DVD.

joaquin 30th March 2005 08:30 PM

I don't know if I'm understanding the question...but, I enjoy watching: "a year and a Half in the life Of Metallica", Sting's "Bring on the Nigth".

Definitively: PINK FLOYD at POMPEI & THE WALL.

AdAudioInc 30th March 2005 09:11 PM

Iron Maiden - The Early Years. Great interviews with old members like - Clive Burr, Dennis Straton, Doug Samson and more. Seeing Steve Harris at about age 19 playing Phantom of the Opera in a club and at that age being able to play the **ck! out of a bass!~! Interviews with Martin Birch.

Here's what is not good - Norah Jones, Live at the House of Blues. God aweful audio. I bought it because I love the sound of the album and extrapolated, that then the DVD audio would follow suit - Blaa. Sounds like a 64K MP3. Complete crap.

Jose Mrochek 30th March 2005 09:15 PM

David Gilmor's "in concert" (it has to be the best sounding DVD ever) and U2's go home are very very very nice.

beechstudio 30th March 2005 09:22 PM

LED ZEPPELIN- Need I say more?

STEVE VAI Live at the ASTORIA- A musicians dream! Awesome performance!

Hysteria 30th March 2005 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAudioInc
Iron Maiden - The Early Years. Great interviews with old members like - Clive Burr, Dennis Straton, Doug Samson and more. Seeing Steve Harris at about age 19 playing Phantom of the Opera in a club and at that age being able to play the **ck! out of a bass!~! Interviews with Martin Birch.

Here's what is not good - Norah Jones, Live at the House of Blues. God aweful audio. I bought it because I love the sound of the album and extrapolated, that then the DVD audio would follow suit - Blaa. Sounds like a 64K MP3. Complete crap.

+1 for Iron Maiden. Their Greatest hits compilation (Visions of the beast) is another great one.

I bet that Norah Jones DVD doesn't sound as bad as Dance of Death (on CD).

drockfresh 30th March 2005 11:16 PM

Even though I am not into their music, the Phish documentary, "Bittersweet Hotel" is the best filmed Rock N' Roll DVD I have seen with some live footage but also shots of the band backstage, at rehearsals, etc..

+1 for the Portishead video which also includes a shot of inside the very slutty remote recording truck.

xaos 30th March 2005 11:20 PM

I just picked up the Jeff Buckley Grace Legacy edition today. Pretty interesting DVD with interviews with Andy Wallace. Its the seemingly incidental things that I really dug. Shows quite a bit of the process they went through from a non-technical point of view.

rynugz007 30th March 2005 11:25 PM

ooh yeah, forgot about the david gilmour dvd. His lead tone is the wholy shiznit. Makes me want a duojet.

At one point he's playing a typical gilmour distorted lead with his taylor acoustic but it sounds like a dead nuts electric solo. I wonder if he went back and replaced the acoustic lead with an electric or if he's using some electric guit modeler pedal or ??????? Does anyone have any idea?

euphoria_rising 31st March 2005 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
David Gilmor's "in concert" (it has to be the best sounding DVD ever) and U2's go home are very very very nice.

David Gilmour's "in concert" is better sounding and more interesting to watch than the last like dozen real concerts ive been to.

He gets my vote

Tim L 31st March 2005 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechstudio
STEVE VAI Live at the ASTORIA- A musicians dream! Awesome performance!

Don't mean to hijack the thread but... I caught Vai last night at the Westbury Music Fair here on Long Island. First time I've seen him since the late 80's... HE WAS OUT FARGING STANDING!!!!! A true musicians musician right down to his toes! It was great to see him teamed up with Billy Sheehan again... another unspeakably amazing musician!

... And now we return you to our regularly scheduled programing. heh

kudzu 31st March 2005 01:01 AM

...CHILLI PEPPER'S "FUNKY MONKS" making of Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic........Its F*CKING AMAZING.............

David R. 31st March 2005 01:36 AM

Massive Attack. Don't remember what it is called, but it has songs from Mezzanine and some older stuff.

Love it. Sonic candy.

XHipHop 31st March 2005 01:42 AM

I really like the move "Scratch". It's a documentary and turntablism. Very interesting and cool personalities on there.

I also like the move "Rockers". It's from the first movie made by jamaicans and the music is awesome. The guy from inner circle is the star, i think.

Last, i like the Radiohead "meeting people is easy" dvd.

All 3 are very different but i love them.

Travl 31st March 2005 02:10 AM

Parlament Funkadelic Mothership tour live in houston

Zepplin special edition

DJ Qbert- Wav twisters

my top 3

Chicken Ball 31st March 2005 03:08 AM

Wow, 18 replies so far and not one mention of "The Last Waltz."

Fantastic band (The Band), great guest artists, and some of Scorsese's best work.

denial 31st March 2005 03:33 AM

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Absolutely loved the story, characters and the soundtrack.
The little kid rockin' out on the bed was priceless.
Totally entertaining and the DVD extras were great too.

T_R_S 31st March 2005 03:35 AM

Concert for George

ShellTones 31st March 2005 03:39 AM

Diana Krall "Live in Paris" is freaking amazing. Her her band consists of John Clayton on bass, Anthony Wilson on guitar, Jeff Hamilton on drums, John Pesina on accoustic guitar, and Paulinho da Costa on percussion.

Schexnayder 31st March 2005 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim L
... I caught Vai last night at the Westbury Music Fair here on Long Island. First time I've seen him since the late 80's... HE WAS OUT FARGING STANDING!!!!!

Yes yes yes, Vai is amazing...totally worth the price plus something...but on DVD note I am in love with the Ozzy Osbourne Live in Budokan because it sounds fantastic in 5.1 and has been produced completely professionally.

eligit 31st March 2005 05:57 AM

LED

ZEPPELIN

2 disc set.

it is the best thing ever. especially the first disc main feature (1970 RAH). throw that thing up on your studio rig (including big fancy flat screen monitor and nice 24 bit/96k converters for audio output) and rock out.

drums. drums. guitar! vocal. bass....and drums.

brendondp 31st March 2005 09:15 AM

Intersting that most of the ones on my list have already been mentioned. We must all have unquestionable fine taste then, right?

Anyway, they are:

Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii - Any band that eschews safety, conformity, and regurgitation for experimentation, improvisation and artistic freedom (wait - aren't they all the same thing?) when Donny Osmond, America, Don McLean, David Cassidy and Gilbert O'Sullivan were dominating the (US) charts easily gets my vote. "Artistic legacy" is a phrase that will very rarely ever be attached to the afore-mentioned artists in conversations about iconic-music makers. Makes me strive for art over commerce every time.

Led Zeppelin DVD - Drunk, hung over, off-pitch, time inconsistencies.... who gives a ****? When I watch this I immediately want to go play somewhere, anywhere, and make dangerous, risk-taking, adrenaline-inducing rock and roll just for the sheer f***in' hell of it. Most other bands (pitch corrected, quantized, well-produced, whatever) make me wanna down several bottles of drain-cleaner. Big difference, no?

Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica - Slag them off. Call them pretentious rock cliches removed from the real world with delusions of self-importance. Do your best. This DVD (and Some Kind of Monster for that matter) reminds me that they really don't give a **** what you think of them and make music solely to please themselves. Every time I pick up my guitar, or sit at my dums, or push up a fader, I try and do the exact same thing.

Special mention to David Gilmour's "In Concert" and Wilco's "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart".

Cheers,

bdp

thethrillfactor 31st March 2005 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djui5
You don't mean the Fragile DVD do you, or is he making a new one?

I've heard the Fragile one (I think it's called "all that I could have been"). Personally I think it sounds awesome.

Live at Pompei is on the top of my "to do" list.

I have the Fragile DVD and went to the concert.

I mean for his new album.

I know it being released on Vynil also.

Waylon 31st March 2005 03:31 PM

hrmmm best concert DVD.....

In no particular order....

Concert for New York - buy it just to wath the 4 songs by the WHO...

Don Henley - Inside Job... Great show.

Eric Clapton - 24 Nights ( the albert hall one..) great DVD, but " old Love" is outstanding, every musician shouldl see this under the title of " How band Dynamics should Work"

Down From the Mountian - Brilliant.

Spinal Tap definately get a mention, the extra features are incredible.

biggator6 31st March 2005 07:20 PM

I like the redone 'Stop Making Sense'.. and it's a great concert video.

Sarah McLachlan's 'Mirrorball' isn't bad.

I can't sit through either of them, but the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac's concert video's supposedly sound amazing..
"-)

TYY 31st March 2005 10:09 PM

That's The Way it Is- fantastic if you like the king