Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/)
-   -   The Defiant Ones - HBO Special about Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/1165776-defiant-ones-hbo-special-about-dr-dre-jimmy-iovine.html)

bloodybob 21st July 2017 08:07 PM

The Defiant Ones - HBO Special about Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine

Has anyone watched this yet? It has more footage of Dr Dre actually working in the studio and speaking candidly in interviews than I've ever seen! It's a goldmine of great stories and interviews of pretty much everyone Dre (and Iovine!) ever worked with. If you like 70s/80s rock it also has some great footage of Springsteen and Stevie Nicks as well.

The second episode ends with Dre revealing that Suge Knight and the DOC convinced him to come to Death Row records by building him a studio with an SSL console. Once he came and saw the SSL he immediately accepted the offer. I thought that was pretty badass!

e-are 22nd July 2017 02:10 AM

I finished episode 1. It was very good. Looking forward to watching the other 3 episodes.

soundnarcotics 24th July 2017 06:26 AM

I watched all four. I was eye hustling everytime dre was in the studio as far as the equipment he has. Those guys still do music because they love it but it seems way more lucrative to build a brand via music then start other businesses. The music industry is so lame now the labels make all the money now.

MXLMics 24th July 2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundnarcotics (Post 12753897)
I watched all four. I was eye hustling everytime dre was in the studio as far as the equipment he has. Those guys still do music because they love it but it seems way more lucrative to build a brand via music then start other businesses. The music industry is so lame now the labels make all the money now.

Now? Labels used to make the lion's share but there's never been a more lucrative time for artists than today. There is far more latitude for an artist regarding different revenue streams and being able to be DIY. Chance The Rapper is probably the best example of someone making it working as an independent on a large scale. People like Russ and SZA are able to build buzz without major labels and make much more favorable deals when they do opt for to partner with them. From what I've read, they recently made a 50/50 deal and a 70/30 deal, respectively.

- Kris

Cgbravo 24th July 2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXLMics (Post 12755112)
Now? Labels used to make the lion's share but there's never been a more lucrative time for artists than today. There is far more latitude for an artist regarding different revenue streams and being able to be DIY. Chance The Rapper is probably the best example of someone making it working as an independent on a large scale. People like Russ and SZA are able to build buzz without major labels and make much more favorable deals when they do opt for to partner with them. From what I've read, they recently made a 50/50 deal and a 70/30 deal, respectively.

- Kris

Partnerships and net profit deals are become the norm! Leverage is key nowadays!

I enjoyed the doc I would like to see some footage of how the new studio in that unnecessarily huge mansion ended up looking like. lol

Mudnoc 24th July 2017 11:00 PM

Watched all 4 episodes; loved all 4. And like the OP I was floored by all the old footage that I had never seen in regards to Dr Dre. But they really put this together very well and they also tied in a lot of information that was overlooked by the Straight Out of Compton movie (i.e. J.J. Fad, D.O.C. and Dee Barnes.)

Iceroc1 25th July 2017 11:21 PM

I enjoyed it. It was interesting hearing their stories. We kind of know dre's story but not so much of jimmy iovine. How David geffen helped him was cool. How jimmy And dre came about was interesting. They had different music interests but the same goals and dreams.

Malt Liquor Bum 27th July 2017 07:33 AM

***SPOILER ALERT***
Most of episode 4 is about Beats headphones. The rest of the episodes are ****ing dope.

Brent Hahn 27th July 2017 03:41 PM

A personal flashback for me. Ages ago, my wife and I used to eat at a small, inexpensive restaurant on the Upper West Side and every time we were there I used to hear this distinctive, squinky New York voice coming out from under a baseball cap on the other side of the room.

Now I know who it was.

As for the ball cap, I'm glad he finally got rid of it.

In the show, my favorite quote is from Dre's mom: "They didn't talk like that at home."

Brent Hahn 28th July 2017 06:18 PM

And having watched most of it again, I have to add this -- "defiant?"

Jimmy -- not hardly. Dre -- only in the sense that his early bandmates were.

And Beats are about as defiant as Doritos.

DAH 28th July 2017 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hahn (Post 12762387)
And having watched most of it again, I have to add this -- "defiant?"

Jimmy -- not hardly. Dre -- only in the sense that his early bandmates were.

And Beats are about as defiant as Doritos.

Yep, the ****'s weak though I did not watch it. 2pac was defiant.Dead. Not Dre. Dre seems to want only money from the start as I see it judging by interviews by covering himself with freedom of speech.

Brent Hahn 28th July 2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAH (Post 12762822)
Yep, the ****'s weak though I did not watch it.

Please watch it and then pass judgment. I liked it, except for the Beats-commercial part and the lack of defiance.

DAH 28th July 2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hahn (Post 12762832)
Please watch it and then pass judgment. I liked it, except for the Beats-commercial part and the lack of defiance.

I wish I could to be more objective, really do not like come off like an ignorant prick. Tell Jimmy to open it for Russia lol (even with Hola it does not work).

tribby 30th July 2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAH (Post 12762822)
Yep, the ****'s weak though I did not watch it. 2pac was defiant.Dead. Not Dre. Dre seems to want only money from the start as I see it judging by interviews by covering himself with freedom of speech.

Look at it like this, Interscope and the majority of their artists are technically considered "defiant". Jimmy, NWA, Dre, Eminem, Marilyn Manson, Kendrick Lamar, Tupac, etc. all pushed the industry and culture in ways most artists and their labels would not be comfortable with. I don't think you should look at it like they was doing some bad sh*t to be considered defiant but look at it like these artists pushed boundaries & buttons to allow themselves as much creative control to say what THEY want and not what society and everyone else wants. You have to admit these guys stirred a lot of controversy.

DAH 2nd August 2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hahn (Post 12762832)

just have watched the 4th part of it (afraid the very one with the Beats ad and lack of defiance at most). I stand at what I thought, it is just a continued Dre\beats\Iovine ad, with the seashore teal\turquoise dominated villa outlook and 26 hours a day work in the same sentence. I do not swallow it as it intended to be.
Dre is used by Iovines with his gangsta\bitches\money + hard work, musical taste (Eminem signing) and charity to justify the powers gotten and still the gangsta rap mentality spread in the minds. By the same token, what Dre and Cube wanted to become - rich by telling the hood stories - is fulfilled. Cube and Ice-T IMO were more balanced in their storytelling about being a predator only seeing the green and getting it by all means necessary.
Do not get me wrong, Chronic\2001 stand as landmarks in production\sonics still, but, but, but.
There is only one Dre who is alive and no 2pac. A corporate Cinderella story.

b0se 3rd August 2017 07:58 PM

Great documentary! Very enjoyable.

GrammynOut 4th August 2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXLMics (Post 12755112)

- Kris

It's great in theory and we see the success stories. But for every Chance there are almost a billion artists stuck on social media/youtube who cannot get people to find them in that pool of mostly awful music. That's why u see so many beefs and nonsense to get people to look for them.

Chance did it old school. By owning his hood, then his city. Then get a break by having a a connected, experienced industry team take an interest in managing his career. Then he blows internationally. Others the same. Maybe 1 or 2 artists a year (out of that billion pool) go from youtube/social media to being internationally known and successful touring artist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0se (Post 12773314)
Great documentary! Very enjoyable.

Indeed. I had just left Interscope around the time they started formulating the plan to get to the athletes and entertainers for promo.

MXLMics 4th August 2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammynOut (Post 12774838)
It's great in theory and we see the success stories. But for every Chance there are almost a billion artists stuck on social media/youtube who cannot get people to find them in that pool of mostly awful music. That's why u see so many beefs and nonsense to get people to look for them.

Chance did it old school. By owning his hood, then his city. Then get a break by having a a connected, experienced industry team take an interest in managing his career. Then he blows internationally. Others the same. Maybe 1 or 2 artists a year (out of that billion pool) go from youtube/social media to being internationally known and successful touring artist.

True, there is definitely oversaturation. What I was mainly trying to get at was that before, you could get signed to a label and that was just about your only shot at being a professional musician making good money. Now, you can start a Patreon, live stream, release YouTube videos, sell merch online, get sync placements more easily, etc. There are many more sources of income available to the modern musician than ever before, and together, these revenue sources can be enough to make it a full time gig, even for artists with only a few thousand loyal fans.

- Kris

JimmyByrne09 6th August 2017 04:22 AM

Just watched this cover to cover this morning. Loved every second, it was super cool to watch Iovine and Dre's stories from the start, and how they ended up meeting each other in the middle of it all. It also pumped me up super hard to get back to work and reach out to find new clients! kfhkh

boombapdame 7th August 2017 03:05 PM

@ GrammynOut what years were you at Interscope?

sp12adam 9th August 2017 02:17 AM

160VU's and 165's

SEED78 26th August 2017 03:40 PM

half way through ep 4 now. some of it is already familiar from other docs I've seen/read and the NWA movie etc etc - but loads of cool stuff in there and new footage.

Hip hop glam aside. All lot of the stuff about Jimmy was really interesting - that guy is just amazing! He could just see talent regardless of genre.

hohoho 26th August 2017 06:01 PM

This was just terrible, all the cool info could have been fitted to a 15 min youtube-vid

Quetz 5th April 2018 03:19 AM

Are you ****ing kidding me?

This didn't even make it past one page?

I know I'm late to the party but just finished watching this on Netflix, and it is hands down the best industry documentary I have ever seen.

This is a must-watch for anyone interested in pretty much any aspect of production, hip hop or otherwise.

ps re Beats etc - the headphones are absolute ****e, way too bassy and muddy, but they are for consumers, not engineers/mixers. That bit would have blown, if they hadn't spelled out quite clearly that that whole venture was a direct response to the download epidemic/end of the traditional industry structure. They secured their future with hardware, taking Apple's lead. They were smart. So it is what it is.

Paul_G 13th April 2018 06:32 AM

Loved Dre DJing at the 80's party with the mad doo wop mash up.

Quetz 13th April 2018 12:48 PM

Heh heh!!

There's some amazing footage in there, especially the NWA recordings.

meez61 12th May 2019 05:00 PM

anyone recognise what mics they using for vocals in that footage of them recording straight outta Compton tracks, **** tha police etc?