Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   MIDI Drums Through SR 16 or Keyboard Controller? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1153525-midi-drums-through-sr-16-keyboard-controller.html)

gvdv 12th May 2017 10:54 PM

MIDI Drums Through SR 16 or Keyboard Controller?

Hi,
I hope that I am posting this in the correct forum.

Hi,
I am wondering what people would suggest about constructing MIDI drum tracks either through a keyboard controller, or using (in my case) my old drum machine, an Alesis SR 16 (using one of these cables

https://www.amazon.ca/SANOXY-Convert...a+XP%2C+Mac+OS

I can think of advantages and disadvantages of using each, with the main ones being:
- The drum machine (via the pads) provides a more immediate, and drum-like way of inputing MIDI information to my DAW

- A keyboard would be more convenient for adding MIDI parts for other instruments such as piano, brass, woodwind, strings, and so on

I do not know much about keyboard controllers with pads, but presume that this might be a very good combination of tactile input (via pads), and having the flexibility of keys for adding MIDI information for the kinds of instruments I described above.

I would very much appreciate people's opinions and advice about this, and about any other issues which I should consider.

Thanks,

Deleted User 13th May 2017 10:53 PM

To get started you can use the SR16 to input midi into your DAW. You can adjust the midi note number out on the SR16 pads themselves to send the midi note you are wanting to trigger if using software.

IF you are wanting to send midi data to the DAW then the DAW midi output back to the SR16 to play the SR16's sounds you set LOCAL=OFF on the SR16. Other option if you like to program on the SR16 is to just send it midiclock from the DAW to sync it up

Best option IMO is to get a keyboard with drum pads on it as well. The pads are way bigger than the SR16 pads and have a better feel. You can then use the keyboard as you mentioned for other virtual instruments. Akai makes some cool ones. This is all according to budget, how many keys you need, how many faders you want etc.

It really comes down to how you like to tactile input stuff. I use an E Kit here to input drums, keyboard controller or drum machine pads depending on what Im doing

gvdv 15th May 2017 12:21 AM

Thanks very much for your reply, shanabit.

I appreciate it.

Steve Fogal 15th May 2017 04:36 AM

I personally like to use my e-drum kit for midi drum parts, gives me a much better drum experience, therefore a better drum part gets midi recorded from the start. If I didn't have a full kit, I'd buy some kind of multi-pad unit that I could hit with real drum sticks.

I must admit, sometimes I just use my keyboard when I get lazy, other times I use the midi drum parts from from drum VSTi's like EZDrummer etc, but they don't fit my songs naturally like just 'drumming it' per song does...even though drums are not my 1st instrument.

PS, I used to have an R-5 Roland Human Rhythm Composer drum machine with pads that I could tap for parts, I personally didn't find it any more intuitive than using my keyboard. In fact, I gravitated to my keyboard.

gvdv 15th May 2017 03:38 PM

Hi Steve,
Many thanks for your thoughts.

Drums are not my first instrument, either, and I, too, use my computer keyboard at the moment for inputing MIDI information for drums.

Also, like you, I have tried to use the drum parts from MIDI loops (in my case) MT Power Kit 2, and find that they do not fit my songs, which is a shame because I have to work harder to then come up with something myself which sounds like a real drummer.

It sounds like we have largely the same experience.

Many thanks for your reply.

Deleted User 18th May 2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvdv (Post 12625620)
Hi Steve,
Many thanks for your thoughts.

Drums are not my first instrument, either, and I, too, use my computer keyboard at the moment for inputing MIDI information for drums.

Also, like you, I have tried to use the drum parts from MIDI loops (in my case) MT Power Kit 2, and find that they do not fit my songs, which is a shame because I have to work harder to then come up with something myself which sounds like a real drummer.

It sounds like we have largely the same experience.

Get EZ Drummer 2, you"ll love it for song creationkfhkh

gvdv 18th May 2017 04:25 PM

Hi shanabit,

I have been looking at and considering EZ Drummer 2, but have some reservations about the snare sound, which is a bit 'live' for me in its default state, and of course you cannot take that sound away

At least with a more 'dead' sound, one can add reverb later.

However, I do really like a lot of the sounds.

I will probably stick with MT PDK2 for now, while I try to learn how to use Kontakt Player with the wonderful, free Drummic'a.

Of all the MIDI drumkits / instruments I have heard, Drummic'a is the best sounding.

Thanks again for your post.

Steve Fogal 18th May 2017 07:11 PM

Just to clarify my earlier post. When I said "keyboard" I meant using my keyboard/synth with midi out, into my computer... not use my computer keyboard to input midi (in case you misunderstood). Although I do use my mouse to input say, a cymbal crash, a snare hit here or there, where I've decided later it needs it.

I use EZDrummer & Superior mostly, even though I have other drum VSTi, etc. Drum VSTi's are really a personal preference IMO. What I use I feel is more than good enough. There are far more important aspects for me in a drum track to worry about than looking for the holy grail of drum sounds.

It's also personal preference as to which method to input midi for drum parts works best for an individual. For me, that means using drum sticks on a set a pads set up like a drum kit to play a performance. I have the room for an ekit, and can keep a basic enough drum beat to work with the recorded midi. For others it's just not an option for their own reasons. There's really nothing like it, and although other methods can get the task done, it doesn't come out as well in my case. When you're playing with sticks, you just do things that come natural, things that never get imputed by the other means. Actually this also go's for other instruments that are simulated, by use of totally different unnatural means. But hey, getting the job done is the most important thing, and by any means available.

gvdv 19th May 2017 12:57 AM

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your clarification. I think that I did think that you mean inputting via the computer keyboard.

I can see using a variety of input methods, for various reasons - keyboard (computer and MIDI keyboard), and mouse, mostly come to mind, but I can also see using some audio loops, and editing them in if that does not prove to be too cumbersome.

Actually, it would be nice if one could convert audio loops to MIDI, for this purpose.

Thanks for your post.