Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Hobbies, Sport, Holidays, Movies, TV Shows and Downtime (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/hobbies-sport-holidays-movies-tv-shows-and-downtime/)
-   -   The Gearslutz Video Gamers Club (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/hobbies-sport-holidays-movies-tv-shows-and-downtime/1147546-gearslutz-video-gamers-club.html)

Diogo C 3rd April 2017 08:35 PM

The Gearslutz Video Gamers Club

Howdy fellow videogamerslutz!

Let's talk video games!

What are you playing this month?

To get the ball rolling: I'm currently finishing Deus EX Mankind Divided, which is a beautiful game all around, great gameplay with plenty of options. I'm playing with KB+mouse, I can't really get to grasps with playing first person games with a controller. I'll probably go for a second play through since I love the vibe and atmosphere of this game, but I'm highly tempted to play Mass Effect Andromeda....or start a second run on Witcher 3 or go back to Diablo 3 for yet another hunt for loot! :lol:

And let's talk about that gaming gear too! Video cards, CPUs, game pads, consoles, VR-gear and so on.

My rig is a i7-3770 CPU with 2x480 SSDs, 24GB RAM and a GTX 960, which is a decent performing yet affordable GPU that runs most games with a good frame rate on full HD if I'm not too slutty on the settings. Currently using a 24" Acer LCD display running at 1080p/60Hz, a banged-up Razer Abyssus mouse that's miraculously holding up after 5 yerars, generic non-mechanical keyboard and a XBOX 360 controller for some games.

So, what are you guys playing?

rockout

Synth Guru 3rd April 2017 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ex-gamer here. :deth:

I love the Dungeons & Dragons themed games like Dungeon Siege and have played all the versions of Diablo including Diablo 3.

When Diablo 3 came out, you could buy gear for your character. Foolishly I spent a couple grand on armor and weapons during the time the Auction House was open for business. My superhero was one of the early top dogs that was nearly invincible. When Blizzard decided to eliminate the Auction House and do away with the pay for gear concept, all my weapons and armor became worthless and my character became weak as the armor was replaced by better armor that you could find for free. I was really bitter and felt cheated by the game manufacturer, you took my money and now my gear is crap. Anyway, I had spent nearly a year, playing every day, sometimes for 14 + hours non-stop. I was even eating my meals by the computer. :lol: Man, I was so badly addicted. I spent all that time during the first year competing with the rest to earn the highest Paragon points that I could land.

Then after the first year, Diablo 3 introduced the Seasons concept in which you basically started a new character from scratch. The season lasted for about 4-5 months. Even though physical money was not needed to buy awesome gear, you could still develop a pretty strong character. I realized that at the end of the season, the armor and weapons that you accumulated pretty much became worthless with the onset of the new season. After 3-4 seasons worth of play time, I quit the game for good as all the time spent was in vain. :lol: I learned a valuable lesson about the power of addiction that computer games can have over a person.

As a result, I've not bought any more games for fear of becoming addicted again. :lol: Every once in while, I think about re-installing Diablo 3, it has beautiful graphics and surreal sound effects but I resist. Time has a way of slipping you by, so I make the most of it now with my passion for music, studio gear :cowbell: and doing all those things that come with owning a home.

I have a closet with all the shelves full of computer games, it's fun to travel down memory lane sometimes and look at the boxes.

Deleted 4c913e9 6th April 2017 08:36 AM

I used to play a lot of halo and other shooters online back in the xbox 360 days...halo is actually the game that made me want to be a composer, haha! But I never got an xbox one or ps4 because I was busy with college. I did get a 3ds though, I've mostly been playing animal crossing and pokemon the last few months. Definitely more excited to start playing VR games though, since I just bought a headset. My entire family thinks I'm nuts for freaking out over how cool virtual rollercoasters are! :lol:

Diogo C 6th April 2017 09:37 PM

I've tried one of those VR glasses on a friend's Samsung phone and even though the graphics were from an early 2000s game it was quite fun! The motion/depth sensation was awesome indeed. Not sure how that will translate to gaming, but I surely want to see how this is developed.

rosewood123 6th April 2017 10:00 PM

I'll be diving into Breath of the Wild soon. I love sandboxes when they're immersive (a lot of them just get you to do tedious tasks to advance the story, which isn't good), so this one seems like my exact cup of tea. The freedom to approach exploration as you wish and the massive, adventure-filled world sounds amazing. Plus I'm just a big Zelda fan, and I love the art style of this one.

Arthur Stone 6th April 2017 10:43 PM

I'm not gaming currently but have an interest in racing (car/motorcycle) sims. I started in the early 70's with arcade games and home video tennis...the marvel of the time.

I had a Playstation in the late 90's which was mainly racing games and Metal Gear Solid...and Wipeout! My favourite game of the era and probably all-time is...G:Police.

I've played a few of the military games and thought they were quite innovative and engaging but not enough to get a specialized gaming rig. I will get on board some racing sims at some point...maybe next Winter.

In the early 90's I tried a VR helmet two-person shooter (like early Doom) at the Trocadero in London - a public arcade space; I was amazed that within seconds I was immersed in the game and completely forgot the actual physical environment, which, at the time, was quite a radical concept.

Not tried recent VR but it's very Holodeck. The future is interesting.

teknatronik 12th April 2017 04:41 AM

Heroes of the storm

Deleted 4c913e9 18th April 2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 12552301)
I've tried one of those VR glasses on a friend's Samsung phone and even though the graphics were from an early 2000s game it was quite fun! The motion/depth sensation was awesome indeed. Not sure how that will translate to gaming, but I surely want to see how this is developed.

Yeah, the vr apps for smartphones do seem to have mostly dated graphics...but I can honestly look past that when it means getting to play pac-man by literally running in place. :lol: But there are better headsets out there, you should check out some of the oculus rift videos on youtube. Those headsets require gaming PC's, so that's where you will get really cool games with actual good graphics and full 360 views.

Synth Guru 19th April 2017 04:01 PM

This one doesn't count as a true video game but it's great fun! rockout

It's called Bejeweled for the computer and Bejeweled Blitz for the iPad.

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple...en696x696.jpeg

kj75 20th April 2017 04:39 PM

Another ex-gamer.

I got hooked (kinda) via oldschool games (Wizard's Lair) on a friend's C64 around 1988, when we finally got a PC I played side-scrolling adventures, then moved towards logical games and flight simulators. I'd play together with my brother (depending on which levels we were better).

My biggest addiction however was Diablo 2 (non b.net). In my "prime" I would play like 4-8 hours (especially in the weekends). On a usual workday I'd come home from my job, study for uni for 2-3 hours (wired on energy drinks), after that I'd stay up until 1 'clock (and also listen to/play some music or go to/play gigs). It seems unreal now, like there was more time back then while today nothing happens and I'm in a constant hurry but I know that is not the case. After finishing uni I felt that there must be better ways to spend time and just stopped totally for years.

Nowadays I just play D2 once or twice a week and stop after one hour (I feel a bit nostalgic about my 15+ YO character and want to finish the game in Hell difficulty grrr). Sometimes I play my old faves too, but usually I feel that time is too precious. Newer games just don't do it for me (not even Diablo 3, plus I also have this fear of getting hooked again).

Synth Guru 18th June 2017 03:16 PM

I saw this submarine warfare game on YouTube. Looks pretty kool! kfhkh rockout :cowbell:

donsolo 22nd June 2017 09:17 PM

I've been playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a lot on my Nintendo Switch along with NBA Playgrounds. I really need a game I can play half-asleep. I'm having a lot of fun with ARMs, but that's also a reaction game.

I thought I'd love Tumbleseed, but it doesn't have motion controls and the sticks on the joycons don't feel that great. they do in a pinch, but that right stick is in an awkward spot. Once they put motion controls, it'll be an amazing game, though.

I have a PS3 and a 360 downstairs, but I don't use them much, except the PS3 for Youtube. Ultimately I'm in the middle of production on a whole mess of things so I only get to game for about 20 minutes at a time. It's why I keep an NES with an Everdrive in the control room, but the switch is just as good in handheld mode for a quick game while you wait on an export.

introvert 26th June 2017 10:28 PM

I do sound for games professionally, so I tend to play games that are stylistically far away from what I work on. I get enough explosions and gunfire at work :)

So this year I've been playing a lot of stuff on the Switch with my 6 year old, we've been having a blast. Arms, Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart 8, Astro Duel Deluxe and more. Great machine.

I played Oxenfree earlier in the year, which was a fun side-scrolling horror adventure game, and I played Firewatch at the very beginning of the year.

Now I'm racing through a series of Japanese RPGs I always wanted to play, the Ys games. I've finished 1 and 2, playing Origin now, then will blast through 3-8.

At some point I'll feel like playing AAA games again, and when I do I've got Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Prey, Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn sitting on the shelf ready to go.

rosewood123 26th June 2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by introvert (Post 12701900)
I do sound for games professionally, so I tend to play games that are stylistically far away from what I work on. I get enough explosions and gunfire at work :)

So this year I've been playing a lot of stuff on the Switch with my 6 year old, we've been having a blast. Arms, Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart 8, Astro Duel Deluxe and more. Great machine.

I played Oxenfree earlier in the year, which was a fun side-scrolling horror adventure game, and I played Firewatch at the very beginning of the year.

Now I'm racing through a series of Japanese RPGs I always wanted to play, the Ys games. I've finished 1 and 2, playing Origin now, then will blast through 3-8.

At some point I'll feel like playing AAA games again, and when I do I've got Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Prey, Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn sitting on the shelf ready to go.

Your AAA list is pretty similar to mine. However, I always like the uniqueness of smaller independent games, not to mention the prices. Sometimes they just have more soul and better stories. Oxenfree looks and sounds really cool. I've been looking for a good horror game, so I may give this a shot soon. Firewatch has been on my list as well, and Inside is on there too.

introvert 27th June 2017 02:25 AM

I forgot to mention Inside. I played it late last year. So wonderful. Play it, you'll love it :)

Saqeef 6th July 2017 07:24 PM

While I've always been a big gamer, the last year I haven't really felt like playing games much; however, I'm currently bouncing between Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on my Vita and playing Persona 5 on my PS4. I got Persona 5 at launch but barely played it when I got it, and now I'm trying to actually push on through and play the whole thing, while Tactics I started last summer and just picked back up. I really like tactical RPGs, and now this one is really drawing me in, especially since I've already played both of its sequels. The customization of TRPGs is stellar, in my opinion.

kj75 9th July 2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj75 (Post 12577764)
Nowadays I just play D2 once or twice a week and stop after one hour (I feel a bit nostalgic about my 15+ YO character and want to finish the game in Hell difficulty grrr). .

Finishing D2 in Hell seems closer now as I finally managed to level up to 93 with my 1-hour weekend sessions. Wish me luck against the Ancients cooge

Diogo C 18th July 2017 08:48 PM

Seems like D2 and W3 are getting remastered:

Blizzard Seemingly Remastering Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 - IGN

rosewood123 28th July 2017 10:54 PM

My personal issue with gaming lately is that I don't have a ton of time or cash to invest in it, and there are so many game choices these days that I find myself scrolling through the PS4 store looking at games and never committing to buying anything. I'll seriously spend a half hour just looking through games and thinking, "That'd be nice to play. And so would that. And so would that ...." I'm sort of hard to please in my older age as well and am cautious about where my time is spent, so I don't want to just try something for the sake of it. Maybe much gaming isn't for me. But there are a lot of cool and creative games from indie developers coming out these days and I have had some great experiences playing some of them (Limbo and Braid were great).

Anyway, I have a shortlist of games that I do want to try and I think I'll just choose one at random and roll with it. There's Firewatch, Oxenfree, Pyre, Transistor, and then The Long Dark and Absolver are coming out very soon .... If anyone has strong recommendations out of those, feel free to sway my choice. ;) I feel like I can't go too wrong with any of those.

Synth Guru 31st July 2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 12744485)
Seems like D2 and W3 are getting remastered:

Blizzard Seemingly Remastering Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 - IGN

It would be awesome to see Diablo 2 in high resolution graphics! rockout kfhkh

Diogo C 1st August 2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosewood123 (Post 12762830)
My personal issue with gaming lately is that I don't have a ton of time or cash to invest in it, and there are so many game choices these days that I find myself scrolling through the PS4 store looking at games and never committing to buying anything. I'll seriously spend a half hour just looking through games and thinking, "That'd be nice to play. And so would that. And so would that ...." I'm sort of hard to please in my older age as well and am cautious about where my time is spent, so I don't want to just try something for the sake of it. Maybe much gaming isn't for me. But there are a lot of cool and creative games from indie developers coming out these days and I have had some great experiences playing some of them (Limbo and Braid were great).

Anyway, I have a shortlist of games that I do want to try and I think I'll just choose one at random and roll with it. There's Firewatch, Oxenfree, Pyre, Transistor, and then The Long Dark and Absolver are coming out very soon .... If anyone has strong recommendations out of those, feel free to sway my choice. ;) I feel like I can't go too wrong with any of those.

Similar situation here on time/cash. Getting great video cards is damn expensive so I'm settling with intermediate models from one or two generations ago, they'll usually perform well and enable you to play recent games with good graphics at a decent frame rate.

Getting free time to play is indeed difficult, some games are rather problematic on that aspect. I rushed through Witcher 3 and felt like it missed a great portion of that awesome game, which is arguably one of the very best ever. Wish I had the time to invest on something like the Dark Souls series, they're fantastic games but far too demanding...

rosewood123 2nd August 2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 12768931)
Similar situation here on time/cash. Getting great video cards is damn expensive so I'm settling with intermediate models from one or two generations ago, they'll usually perform well and enable you to play recent games with good graphics at a decent frame rate.

Getting free time to play is indeed difficult, some games are rather problematic on that aspect. I rushed through Witcher 3 and felt like it missed a great portion of that awesome game, which is arguably one of the very best ever. Wish I had the time to invest on something like the Dark Souls series, they're fantastic games but far too demanding...

The Witcher 3 is one I got on sale but just haven't been able to give a fair chance. Every time I see or hear it mentioned, it seems that people are saying the same thing that you did about it. Perhaps I need to sit down when I get the chance and play for at least two or three hours. I'm guessing much of its greatness comes from its expansiveness and the level of immersion it can offer.

Diogo C 2nd August 2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosewood123 (Post 12770274)
The Witcher 3 is one I got on sale but just haven't been able to give a fair chance. Every time I see or hear it mentioned, it seems that people are saying the same thing that you did about it. Perhaps I need to sit down when I get the chance and play for at least two or three hours. I'm guessing much of its greatness comes from its expansiveness and the level of immersion it can offer.

It's a beautifully designed game in all aspects. Really worth the time. The environments are beautiful, the music/sound design are excellent, the society is very detailed with great world building, characters have many nuances to them and the plot is engaging. Plays very well too, I just wish there were more big monsters to kill. That's the only fault on this amazing game.

I've banked around 60 hours on it but haven't explored half of the world and from the many possible endings I managed to get the worst of them! :lol:

Synth Guru 21st August 2017 03:02 AM

I've played the first Witcher and I had a blast playing it when it first came out. Not sure if it was the Witcher or another game but I became an expert pick pocket. :lol:

Noisewagon 21st August 2017 03:25 AM

Half-life 2 was good, I haven't played another since....

Diogo C 24th August 2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noisewagon (Post 12804563)
Half-life 2 was good, I haven't played another since....

One of the best games ever.

Too bad we'll never see HL3 come to fruition as it seems... gruudge

BazzBass 25th December 2017 12:48 PM

I got hooked with pong in the mid 70s.

and spent the summer of 79/80 playing Space Invaders lol...they're getting faster....and CLOSER!

C64, Sega Master systems, PS1, PS2, PS3 and now PS4.

Did online car racing since 98 on dial up lol

Still race GT Sport and Project Cars 2, with the G29 wheel and a racing stand.

Just bought a gaming pad/ mouse for the PS4 for $300 but it was worth it, I could never use a controller in FPS as I started on the PC and can't adapt at my age hehe. The mouse puts the reticule right where I want it straight away.

Dang, haven't played a game yet and it's 10pm lol

Oh and I suck at FIFA18, was quite good at FIFA17 but the new one sucks

Diogo C 25th December 2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BazzBass (Post 13034127)
I got hooked with pong in the mid 70s.

and spent the summer of 79/80 playing Space Invaders lol...they're getting faster....and CLOSER!

C64, Sega Master systems, PS1, PS2, PS3 and now PS4.

Did online car racing since 98 on dial up lol

Still race GT Sport and Project Cars 2, with the G29 wheel and a racing stand.

Just bought a gaming pad/ mouse for the PS4 for $300 but it was worth it, I could never use a controller in FPS as I started on the PC and can't adapt at my age hehe. The mouse puts the reticule right where I want it straight away.

Dang, haven't played a game yet and it's 10pm lol

Oh and I suck at FIFA18, was quite good at FIFA17 but the new one sucks

I started a bit later, played a bit of Atari and Sega Master but what really got me going was the Genesis back in 1990 and the SNES shortly after. Moved to PC gaming since them and never bought a console again, they're just too expensive to feed where I live.

Feel exactly the same about FPS games - they're mouse and keyboard games to me but I've seen people blasting through them with a game pad, which to me is utterly inconceivable! I also suck at FIFA, love soccer as a sport but can't get into those games for some reason.

Currently playing Dark Souls 3 and loving it despite the constant dying! grimm

cavern 25th December 2017 03:31 PM

Hooked on Tiger Woods golf here. My girlfriend and I play at least once a week.
We have it on Xbox but we prefer PC 2007 version with the mouse.
Had an Atari back in the 80's when you loaded games from a cassette.:lol:

Synth Guru 26th December 2017 03:10 AM

This one is not necessarily a computer game but I'll be definitely be getting later in 2018 after I buy a new computer. rockout