Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Mastering Forum (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/)
-   -   Just had King of Tape here with Kerwax Replica (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1146666-just-had-king-tape-here-kerwax-replica.html)

Plush 29th March 2017 04:23 PM

Just had King of Tape here with Kerwax Replica
 
Yesterday I had a visit from the King of Tape, Don Morris.
Don is King of Tape in America--head of RMGI America, Recording The Masters tape.

Besides him bringin me some 1/2" SM900 goodies, the real news is that he dropped off the Kerwax Replica here. It is a French vacuum tube processor for mastering use.

I will be running a goodly amount of program material through it this week.

Even as Don and I experimented yesterday, the unit offered a genuine improvement in the girth and thickness of tone and in energizing and boosting the sound with a grin inducing benefit.

Stand by for my report. . .

Great to see King of Tape.

Saxnscratch 29th March 2017 05:27 PM

We have one at the studio as well.
I should be able to try few things and maybe run some samples next week.

But right now, without going fur there into it, the unit seems a bit heavy handed for mastering duites.

Plush 5th April 2017 02:19 PM

I want to offer my report on the Kerwax Replica after spending a week with it courtesy of Don Morris from RMGI-America.

Kerwax Studio the designers, and Mulann Corp., the builder, call it a vacuum tube Processor. Aimed towards treatment of tracks, 2 buss, and in mastering.

I found this stellar hand built French unit to offer:

1. a really cool and appealing thickening effect to the sound

2. Very useable and beneficial as a "bottom-up" compressor. Used this way low level detail is brought up in the mix without compressing the whole program.

3. Trashing box--the engineer and producer can use the box as a distortion and saturation tool for tracks in the production.

4. Thickening Agent Extra-Ordinaire--adds girth and gain with variable emphasis on a wide variety of harmonics. One can pick the harmonics to be emphasized by using the tone controls and changing the bias control on the vacuum tubes.

In conclusion a highly useful box in modern production.

Sold in the US by Don Morris at RMGI-America. Price is around $4200.

DSD_Mastering 7th April 2017 06:46 PM

I got one in here today from Don too. Can't wait to put it to work and see what it can do!!

Plush 7th April 2017 11:06 PM

Good news--send in your report.

StevenLMorgan 15th June 2017 08:33 PM

I enjoyed your summary very much, thank you

I am interested in the Replica as it seems to be a nice fit for my needs. I have contacted Frédéric and Don and am in line for a demo.

Can you or anyone else who has used the Replica provide your impression of the EQ features?

I am wondering specifically if you considered whether the EQ may be useful for vocals and AG?

Although my demo will determine whether I buy as I have very specific needs which are likely well served by the features of the Replica, I am interested to know; has anyone on GS already ordered a Replica after the demo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 12549121)
I want to offer my report on the Kerwax Replica after spending a week with it courtesy of Don Morris from RMGI-America.

Kerwax Studio the designers, and Mulann Corp., the builder, call it a vacuum tube Processor. Aimed towards treatment of tracks, 2 buss, and in mastering.

I found this stellar hand built French unit to offer:

1. a really cool and appealing thickening effect to the sound

2. Very useable and beneficial as a "bottom-up" compressor. Used this way low level detail is brought up in the mix without compressing the whole program.

3. Trashing box--the engineer and producer can use the box as a distortion and saturation tool for tracks in the production.

4. Thickening Agent Extra-Ordinaire--adds girth and gain with variable emphasis on a wide variety of harmonics. One can pick the harmonics to be emphasized by using the tone controls and changing the bias control on the vacuum tubes.

In conclusion a highly useful box in modern production.

Sold in the US by Don Morris at RMGI-America. Price is around $4200.


Plush 2nd July 2017 03:08 PM

Price has been lowered to $3000.

Plush 2nd July 2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering (Post 12554042)
I got one in here today from Don too. Can't wait to put it to work and see what it can do!!

Please add your review and report to this thread. Thank you.

Joao B. 14th July 2017 12:22 PM

Just got mine. Played with it for 10 minutes and can't stop smiling.

___GLM___ 20th August 2017 09:40 PM

Any owner of the replica willing to post some audio files/examples? Kerwax has some on SoundCloud but there isn't too much out there, I'm really interested in this box

Plush 21st August 2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ___GLM___ (Post 12804272)
Any owner of the replica willing to post some audio files/examples? Kerwax has some on SoundCloud but there isn't too much out there, I'm really interested in this box

What would you like to know?

Sorry, but I don't have any files.

___GLM___ 21st August 2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 12805574)
What would you like to know?

Sorry, but I don't have any files.

is the replica something worth it?
Does it deliver sounds that amaze you / can´t be done by e.g. decapitator?
What do you use it mainly for?
Is it just a "nice to have box" or does it do things you think are absolute great?

thanks for your opinion

Plush 22nd August 2017 01:15 PM

The Kerwax Replica is most useful as a compressor and a special kind of compressor at that. A "bottom-up" compressor where low level detail is raised while less compression is offered to the rest of the standard level program.

It is a tube level booster. It can widen your stereo picture.

Tube EQ can be applied. One can vary the bias of the tubes to obtain different tone structure.

It is also a tube thickener and this can be quite dramatic. It increases the size of the stereo picture and imparts a distinctive tube sound to the program.

For rock program material it can also treat individual tracks, trashing them with tube distortion sound.

I would say the unit would be very nice to have but it is not essential.

If one does not already have boxes that do this same thing, then a demo is essential.

If you do have boxes that do the above, you should still demo the Kerwax Replica at your own place.

That is because it is something that creative and imaginative engineers should know about.

Endorsed and Recommended.

Paul_G 30th August 2017 11:30 PM

I have an HG2, Silver Bullet, Karacter, an Overstayer Saturator & a M.A.S. a Mammoth Deluxe and quite a few Valve pre amps. What would I gain from the Kerwax?
They are only in Northern France so the location is cool and I have seen one on reverb at a good price.

Lot of rackspace though and I'm running low...

Deleted User 16th September 2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_G (Post 12821068)
I have an HG2, Silver Bullet, Karacter, an Overstayer Saturator & a M.A.S. a Mammoth Deluxe and quite a few Valve pre amps. What would I gain from the Kerwax?
They are only in Northern France so the location is cool and I have seen one on reverb at a good price.

Lot of rackspace though and I'm running low...

elysia karacter is a beast on its own and honestly I don't believe there's anything on the market like it. The variety of different tones/saturation/distortions you can get from the karacter is mind blowing. It's like having a dozen different processors in one unit: from crappy guitar pedal distortion to high-end mastering grade saturation and everything in between. It's mostly a creative tool that will handle everything you need from saturation to distortion.

Kerwax is a different kind of processor. It's mostly a tube line amp + tube EQ with Baxandall curves that sounds great on its own. You can definitely get creamy distortion from it but Kerwax does clean sounding equally as well. It's a proper old-school inspired tube EQ/line amp with modern features such as variable bias, m/s processing, and so on.

Paul_G 17th September 2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miguelmarques (Post 12851626)
elysia karacter is a beast on its own and honestly I don't believe there's anything on the market like it. The variety of different tones/saturation/distortions you can get from the karacter is mind blowing. It's like having a dozen different processors in one unit: from crappy guitar pedal distortion to high-end mastering grade saturation and everything in between. It's mostly a creative tool that will handle everything you need from saturation to distortion.

Kerwax is a different kind of processor. It's mostly a tube line amp + tube EQ with Baxandall curves that sounds great on its own. You can definitely get creamy distortion from it but Kerwax does clean sounding equally as well. It's a proper old-school inspired tube EQ/line amp with modern features such as variable bias, m/s processing, and so on.

If I hadn't already bought an HG-2, an AML dual Redd47, a Coil Ca72 etc. I would have definitely bought this but it's so big and it sounds like I'm covered for clean to fuzzy cream in a tube.

Plush 18th September 2017 06:10 PM

Don't forget that one of the Kerwax Replica's main functions is as an upward compressor. It acts as a "bottom-up" compressor bringing out low level detail.

Going farther, and dialing in more tube drive, gets you the added girth and thickness to the sound.

Gravity8058 12th May 2019 06:38 PM

Other users?