Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Tannoy Dual Concentric Studio Monitors - Advice Please! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1142869-tannoy-dual-concentric-studio-monitors-advice-please.html)

Fred [email protected] 6th March 2017 10:18 PM

Tannoy Dual Concentric Studio Monitors - Advice Please!

Hi, I'm Fred Speckeen and I work as part of the Innovation team at Tannoy/Music Group. I'm really happy to be able to say that after so many years that FINALLY we are able to return to designing new studio monitors using Tannoy Dual Concentric Drivers.

Please can you help? We would like to hear of your experience as well as hear your advice on where you think we should focus our efforts. For example: do you own or do you use Tannoy Dual Concentric monitors? What models? What do you like about them? What would you improve? What would you like to see from us in the future?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Fred

loulaws 23rd September 2017 10:41 PM

Reboot DMT12 monitors. Those were awesome. Keep them passive. LOL.

Overdrive 24th September 2017 12:03 AM

Owner of Little Gold 12 and PBM6.5 here.
The LGM in smaller diameter, more responsive set would be nice.

jensenmann 24th September 2017 08:00 AM

I used to own FSM and SRM10B over the past 20yrs, as well as I was working with Little Reds (in a different enclosure) for some time.
I always felt happy with any of them, mixes translated well and the stereoimage was nice and stable. The SRM10B had a cheesy crossover which held back a lot of the potential of that speaker. Same with the Little Reds. Our pair had a new crossover and that was a major improvement.

So if you decide to relaunch Monitors, then make sure that the beancounters in your company don´t mess with parts quality in such important spots.

auralart 24th September 2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred [email protected] (Post 12485724)
Hi, I'm Fred Speckeen and I work as part of the Innovation team at Tannoy/Music Group. I'm really happy to be able to say that after so many years that FINALLY we are able to return to designing new studio monitors using Tannoy Dual Concentric Drivers.

Please can you help? We would like to hear of your experience as well as hear your advice on where you think we should focus our efforts. For example: do you own or do you use Tannoy Dual Concentric monitors? What models? What do you like about them? What would you improve? What would you like to see from us in the future?

Fred

Hey Fred. I regularly use the system 215s. Can I contact you via email?

jjboogie 1st May 2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred [email protected] (Post 12485724)

Fred

Hi Fred!
I mix for the 2x Grammy Winning group Arrested Development and a host of others.

Been using the Tannoy Active 8's in my studio for 13 years at least. Love them.

I love their clarity and detail. They always felt very natural too me. Too be honest I am not sure what can be improved on them. From a marketing standpoint cosmetically they can probably be updated to look more modern.

I'd be happy to demo anything you guys are working on in the future.

Hope all is well.
peace
JJ

nnajar 1st May 2018 02:23 PM

I don’t use tannoy in the studio, but for years I have used the V series dual concentric boxes for sound reinforcement and I am very happy with them.

RJHollins 1st May 2018 05:19 PM

Been away from Tannoy's for a while ...

I did work on the ML-10 with the Doug Sax mod. Driven with a mod'd Yamaha amp ... Excellent.

O.F.F. 1st May 2018 05:31 PM

I've built my own active mains around a pair of K3149 (LRM/LGM drivers) with a couple of Volt radials doing bass duties.

So I'd like to see active 10", 12" and 15" with and without woofers. Basically modern versions of the '80s SRM line up but I really see (hear?) the value of removing low bass from the DualConcentrics.

Glenn Bucci 1st May 2018 06:20 PM

The Ellipse IDP monitors were amazing and could go toe to tow with the big boys

Gusss 4th May 2018 01:11 AM

Fred this is great. I would like you guys to focus on an excellent time based response as well as frequency response with fast decay rates at low frequencies. A good off axis response with a wide sweet spot. Brackets for mounting for 3d audio applications. Something like Genelecs GLM . No rear port. Down to 25 hz ? Don't mind if they're big.

deedeeyeah 4th May 2018 07:56 AM

have been using a tannoy 5.1 set-up for ca. 25 years.
system10dmt + sub15 (active sub, came later)

pls make dmt's again! make both passive and active versions, passive versions switchable for bi-amping, speakon inputs, active versions with lab/lake built in, with analog, aes and dante inputs (analog on combo, aes on xlr and bnc), make a dmt 3-way speaker (coax hi/mid, low whatever design but go low enough)!

publish precise specs, reintroduce sub15 with enhancements (i replaced mine with kh810) or make dmt subs (of different sizes/speaker diameters), have lake/lab integration including measurement options, make a lab/lake studio monitor controller, add 'target curves', have some programmable buttons/knobs on the controller.

would help to cut down my equipment (yamaha dme64n/icp1, my-lake, dlp, lm44, lab c20:8) quite a bit...

anyway, pls tell us where to send the invoice...

hotshot1 15th July 2018 06:35 AM

I have the Lancaster dual concentric gold 15 inch monitors since new. I bought them in London in 1969, 49 years ago. I enjoy the sound clarity and sound distinction these speakers produce. The reproduction of sound of each musical instrument is breathtaking, as is voice reproduction. i am completely satisfied with these speakers as they are.

cdruzeta 16th July 2018 02:16 AM

Hi,
I use a pair of Tannoy 215 DMTIIs. Very recently I decided to bi-amp them with a pair of Amphion 500s.
Also, I obtained a DEQX HDP-4 preamp. After messing around with the crossover for a while I landed on 1.5khz with a relatively steep slope using linear phase filters. I ended up there just by eyeballing the speaker response and choozing a zone where both the drivers and the tweeter were relatively flat. I know that the original crossover had different slopes on the driver and tweeter but that was not available in the HDP-4.

After time aligning the speakers through the DEQX the sound is STUNNING. I would be happy to pit these against anything available today at any price.
Absolutely love these speakers and listening to anything through them is a pleasure.
c.

RJHollins 16th July 2018 03:34 AM

Spent many years working on the Tannoy 215 DMTIIs.

I forget the details, but they were bi-amp'd. [Hafler's and then QSC's]

O.F.F. 19th July 2018 01:39 PM

If you bi-amped 215s does that imply you used to run them 2way rather than 3way?

Personally I'd run them as 3ways. The DualConcentric is much cleaner when it doesn't have to do low bass.

O.F.F. 19th July 2018 01:39 PM

If you bi-amped 215s does that imply you used to run them 2way rather than 3way?

Personally I'd run them as 3ways. The DualConcentric is much cleaner when it doesn't have to do low bass.

RJHollins 19th July 2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.F.F. (Post 13426845)

Honestly ... that was 20+ years ago. I just don't recall the amping details.

cdruzeta 19th July 2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.F.F. (Post 13426845)

Not sure what you mean. There are only two posts HF and LF. In order to amp them three ways you would need to unwire the speakers (the two drivers and the tweeter). I have not done that.

If you are suggesting using a stand-alone sub - I never use subs.

c.

O.F.F. 19th July 2018 08:54 PM

The 215s have two settings on their crossover which Tannoy called 'LF window' for some reason. This can be either in or out.
In one of those settings it runs as a 2way ie the extra woofer runs in parallel to the DC cone. In the other setting the extra woofer gets all frequencies below 250Hz (I think), the DC cone 250-1500Hz and the DC tweeter everything above so operates as a 3way.
The latter has much cleaner mids but loses a bit in perceived bass.

wittekka 19th July 2018 09:26 PM

Inhad the tannoy reveal active and the reveal passive and a passive pair of system 600.
The reveals sound flat and two dimensional the system 600 sound boxy and midrangy.
When i upgraded to a pair of spendor bc1 and later to a pair of geithain rl 940 i kept the system 600 as a contrast to listen how it sounds on bad speaker.

7+1 19th July 2018 09:53 PM

WE ARAE GONNA NEED THE "BLACK SPEAKER IN THE WOOD BOX"!!!!!

all seriousness.. please go easy on the marketing peachh

racingpht 11th November 2018 04:15 PM

As an owner of Tannoy Precision 6.1 and some Tannoy 8 inch DC drivers, IMO Tannoy excels at soundstage depth and space.

My suggestion is
1: Shorting ring in the pole piece. This reduces 3rd distortion level, and Tannoy 6.1 has a bit audible distortion when playing the intro of Yael Naim's "Toxic" loudly.
2: Alnico? Don't think this will happen but it's a unique selling point!

cdruzeta 12th November 2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.F.F. (Post 13427543)
The 215s have two settings on their crossover which Tannoy called 'LF window' for some reason. This can be either in or out.
In one of those settings it runs as a 2way ie the extra woofer runs in parallel to the DC cone. In the other setting the extra woofer gets all frequencies below 250Hz (I think), the DC cone 250-1500Hz and the DC tweeter everything above so operates as a 3way.
The latter has much cleaner mids but loses a bit in perceived bass.

Thanks for this. Can you tell me which is which?

RAA 12th November 2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulaws (Post 12865920)
Reboot DMT12 monitors. Those were awesome. Keep them passive. LOL.

I agree, DMT 12's are great.

O.F.F. 13th November 2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdruzeta (Post 13625544)
Thanks for this. Can you tell me which is which?

Nope, sorry.

You could measure the resistance.
One setting should show around 6Ω, the other 3.
The lower one would be the setting in which woofer and DC run in parallel.

Then again you should be able to hear it really.

dorkjackson 21st July 2019 10:33 PM

Love my FSMs!