Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Modular Mania - All Things Eurorack and Modular Synths/Effects (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/)
-   -   Synthesis Technology E370 Quad Morphing VCO Eurorack module (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/1140939-synthesis-technology-e370-quad-morphing-vco-eurorack-module.html)

ivanc 24th February 2017 04:36 AM

Synthesis Technology E370 Quad Morphing VCO Eurorack module

The Synthesis Technology E370 Quad Morphing VCO Eurorack module is finally coming out - Kickstarter is underway!

I'm pretty excited about this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-morphing-vco

https://www.modulargrid.net/img/modules/v2/1537.jpg

intuitionnyc 24th February 2017 04:45 AM

Yep. I'm gonna jump on this at somepoint soon. When I saw this module a couple years ago, my mouth dropped.

I spoke with Paul Schreiber more than a year ago at the Machines In Music fair in NYC about that module. I asked if it was in production. I believe he said that they initially did it as some sort of test pushing current technology. They found at the time that it wasnt quite capable yet.

This thing seems really great and somewhat unique. You can do this some other way in software probably, but it is very cool to have it all in front of you. I will prob sell some other rarely ised modules of mine to fund this.

Can't wait.

ImNotDedyet 24th February 2017 02:22 PM

This thing is going to be a beast, and they keep adding functionality based on the total value of the kickstarter program.

Plus, it's limited edition. They'll build enough for the kickstarter donators, and a few more, but that's it.

drxcm 26th September 2017 09:26 AM

bump..

this thing has become pretty bad-ass.
anyone else patiently waiting? I was kickstarter #13

paramnesia 26th September 2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drxcm (Post 12870354)
anyone else patiently waiting? I was kickstarter #13

I am E370 Backer #11 , still waiting, tho updates posted on FB Synth Tech group last week copied below. I bought the E352 #0052 a few weeks ago to hold me over. I was on the fence about the E352 until I saw how great the screens looked next to each other...

Quote:

https://www.*********************9298...3281633033676/
Paul T Schreiber
Admin · September 21 at 11:32am ·

GENERAL UPDATE - PLEASE READ

Things are going to start to get even more hectic around here for the rest of the year.

First thing, is I want to thank everyone for not only the last 7 years of support in Euro but for all the recent 'flurry of activity' over the E352. I will ship the 100th E352 on Monday!

But the 'elephant in the room' which is now going to start taking time is the E370 KickStarter campaign. The E370 has *greatly benefited* from the R&D of the E352. The E370 has NOT been delayed a SINGLE DAY because of the E352. Any delays up to now are just bug killing during testing.

Next week, I will start on ordering the parts, the front panels, and other activities to get the production board run started. This will slow down (but not stop) E352 Black shipping for the next 10 days or so. Once I release the E370 to the production house, there is a 3 week gap to run them.

Also in the mix: I'll be in NYC at the Knockdown Center Oct. 14-15 for the Machines in Music show.

Assuming no hardware issues are uncovered the next few weeks during beta testing, here is how the E370 is shaping up:

Release to production (all parts in stock): Oct 19th
Boards come to SynthTech: Nov 16th
Shipping begins: Nov 20th

Now, when I say 'begins', I mean they start rolling out the door at a rate of around 8 per day. This is because I "go slow" until about 30 are in the field, as I wait for any dreaded 'Day 0 issues'. I then go a bit faster, but it just has so many parts that probably 10-12/day is about it.

Now here is where people jump in and suggest "you need to hire people to ship more faster!".

Well, the main issue is: that's a possibility, but to rent commercial space (as opposed to have random people in my garage), pay them a decent wage (like $17/hr) that means in a year my sales would have to increase ~$150K to *break even*. And I've yet to be convinced that this would happen. I may be wrong, but in order to do this step up, I need Makenoise/Mutable/etc run rates and the reality is, I am 10% of those fine folks. Yes, 10%. And no: I wouldn't be there if I had 8K sqr ft and 6 full-timers. I'd be broke is what I'd be :(

So, I will plod along like I have since MOTM came out in 1997 and work hard every day, until it's all shipped.

Personally, I think I do a pretty good job, relatively speaking "

clusterchord 26th September 2017 10:03 PM

im one of the last kickstarter backers . i expected he wont be shipping in october as planned, but still nov and dec are fine with me. wouldn't time to play with it atm, even if it showed on my doorstep tommorow.

still waiting for Qubit to release their Tone - thinking of it as ideal, dense packed, companion to E370. first demos sounded fantastic smooth. tho i plan to use 370 with diverse filters and lpg as well, or no filters at all - since it has ample posibilities to change harmonic spectrum via other means, from wavetable scan to thruzero fm.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w

oinkbanana 27th September 2017 06:35 PM

I've got really high expectations for this. boingboing
will I get a 2nd? tbd. :facepalm:

ImJohn 27th September 2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clusterchord (Post 12871645)
still waiting for Qubit to release their Tone - thinking of it as ideal, dense packed, companion to E370.

The Qu-Bit Tone has been shipping for a while, at least in the USA. rockout I've had mine for almost two months now. It is a nice polite/smooth sounding filter plus it's versatile with LP and BP outs and it self oscillates, but I do wish it was more aggressive/ballsy sounding. (I know, hopping for 4 Synth Tech E440's in only 18hp and for only $300 is dreaming! :lol:)

I'm using mine with 4 Synth Tech E330's, yes a poor/impatient man's E370? gooof I was going to go with no filters at all in the system but the Qu-Bit Tone appeared and I changed my mind.

clusterchord 28th September 2017 01:13 PM

@ ImJohn

aha good to know. indeed nowadays new eurorack filters are usually good at one of the extremes, either smooth/round or edgy. i find the designs that can sound sweet at both ends of spectrum, like on some vintage machines, are quite rare. 440 is a good example of this, also am synth stuff behaves that way. and some diy like moogah sem clone etc.

on the upside, a smoother filter might impose less of its own character on the source which can be a good thing for wavetable/tzfm module. yet it may fail to accentuate some sweet harmonics in more interesting wavetables that an edgier filter can. in general, i had varying luck filtering wavetable modules. it was always per case basis. what i mean is, not a simple task like filtering a dual roland vco with chewy pwm bursting with harmonics.

would you say Tone is a good choice for polyphonic applications? that was my primary intent for it. i have other filters for edgier stuff.

ImJohn 28th September 2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clusterchord (Post 12874833)
would you say Tone is a good choice for polyphonic applications? that was my primary intent for it. i have other filters for edgier stuff.

While I haven't spent a lot of quality time with it yet, I think the Tone is a good filter for polyphonic patches with digital VCOs. Even for just statically/manually rolling off harsher wave forms when desired or of course automated with multiple EGs /LFOs etc.

Take a look at the Erica Synths Octasource LFO. With it you can subtly modulate all 4 channels of the Tone plus the waveforms of 4 VCOs all at once with the same frequency but at different phases so you can get nice rolling shifting textures. (having several attenuverters available is helpful for this, especially for the VCOs)

m4thlab 6th April 2018 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clusterchord (Post 12874833)
@ ImJohn

aha good to know. indeed nowadays new eurorack filters are usually good at one of the extremes, either smooth/round or edgy. i find the designs that can sound sweet at both ends of spectrum, like on some vintage machines, are quite rare. 440 is a good example of this, also am synth stuff behaves that way. and some diy like moogah sem clone etc.

on the upside, a smoother filter might impose less of its own character on the source which can be a good thing for wavetable/tzfm module. yet it may fail to accentuate some sweet harmonics in more interesting wavetables that an edgier filter can. in general, i had varying luck filtering wavetable modules. it was always per case basis. what i mean is, not a simple task like filtering a dual roland vco with chewy pwm bursting with harmonics.

Did you get the Tone? I'm waiting on the E370 and thinking the Tone would be a good match, having trouble finding much in the way of reviews for it.

ImJohn 6th April 2018 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4thlab (Post 13241695)
Did you get the Tone? I'm waiting on the E370 and thinking the Tone would be a good match, having trouble finding much in the way of reviews for it.

Yes, I did get one. It's a very nice sounding filter but it just became too much work to try to do 4 voice poly patches with the quad filter, quad VCA and two quad EGs! abduction I decided to try to go to ZERO filters in my main eurorack case (nothing massive, just a briefcase) so I pulled the Tone out (mine is listed on Muff's FYI :heh:) and the Quadra EG. I almost managed to have no filters at all, but in the end I squeezed a Happy Nerding MMM multi mode VCF in the case because I thought I'd be sorry at some point without one.

As much as I'd like you or someone else to buy my Tone, I recommend trying to go without filtering first when using complex VCOs like the E370, E352, Mutable Plaits, etc because with enough modulation sources you can get plenty of timbre variety/dynamics with no filter at all. My main eurorack case has 4 E330 VCOs plus a E950 with lots of sequencing, clocking and effects processing modules.

Now if you only have one system, I'd say you may want to have several filters. I just did a quick count and I have at least 20 5U filters, and three of them are dual so, I can get my filter fun using my 5U systems and my two eurorack systems only have one VCF each. I didn't see the point of reproducing similar capabilities in each system so I've tried to make them somewhat different.

m4thlab 6th April 2018 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImJohn (Post 13241743)
Yes, I did get one. It's a very nice sounding filter but it just became too much work to try to do 4 voice poly patches with the quad filter, quad VCA and two quad EGs! abduction I decided to try to go to ZERO filters in my main eurorack case (nothing massive, just a briefcase) so I pulled the Tone out (mine is listed on Muff's FYI :heh:) and the Quadra EG. I almost managed to have no filters at all, but in the end I squeezed a Happy Nerding MMM multi mode VCF in the case because I thought I'd be sorry at some point without one.

As much as I'd like you or someone else to buy my Tone, I recommend trying to go without filtering first when using complex VCOs like the E370, E352, Mutable Plaits, etc because with enough modulation sources you can get plenty of timbre variety/dynamics with no filter at all. My main eurorack case has 4 E330 VCOs plus a E950 with lots of sequencing, clocking and effects processing modules.

Now if you only have one system, I'd say you may want to have several filters. I just did a quick count and I have at least 20 5U filters, and three of them are dual so, I can get my filter fun using my 5U systems and my two eurorack systems only have one VCF each. I didn't see the point of reproducing similar capabilities in each system so I've tried to make them somewhat different.

Thanks for the wonderful breakdown, John! I will be interested in using the E370 as a four voice, that not strictly in that configuration all the time; I already have quad VCA and 4x ADSRs (all L-1) so interested in your view that it's a bit of hardwork, but I won't be doing anything live, just taking my time setting things up and tweaking. I'd like to try this to see how I like it anyway. I had a feeling I might not necessarily need a filter given the tonal options available in wavetables, and you've confirmed that. I like your price on it though - but I'm in Australia and at the moment you're looking at USA shipping only. Were you happy with the sound of the Tone?

oinkbanana 10th April 2018 02:04 AM

I'm still waiting for my E370. Paul had said they'd all be shipped by April 2018... but that story's changed grrr
so the wait continues.

I guess now the ETA is mid-july?, but who knows how many more times he's gonna delay assembling the remaining e370 (modules he's been paid in full for last year). It's probably more tempting to just fulfill newer orders for some NEW MONEY! :facepalm:

m4thlab 10th April 2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oinkbanana (Post 13248832)
I'm still waiting for my E370. Paul had said they'd all be shipped by April 2018... but that story's changed grrr
so the wait continues.

I guess now the ETA is mid-july?, but who knows how many more times he's gonna delay assembling the remaining e370 (modules he's been paid in full for last year). It's probably more tempting to just fulfill newer orders for some NEW MONEY! :facepalm:

I hear ya. It's been a long-ass wait. He's been giving updates on his FB page, but certainly it's being pushed out month by month.

ImJohn 10th April 2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4thlab (Post 13241799)
Thanks for the wonderful breakdown, John! I will be interested in using the E370 as a four voice, that not strictly in that configuration all the time; I already have quad VCA and 4x ADSRs (all L-1) so interested in your view that it's a bit of hardwork, but I won't be doing anything live, just taking my time setting things up and tweaking. I'd like to try this to see how I like it anyway. I had a feeling I might not necessarily need a filter given the tonal options available in wavetables, and you've confirmed that. I like your price on it though - but I'm in Australia and at the moment you're looking at USA shipping only. Were you happy with the sound of the Tone?

The Tone sounds really nice, and while like I previously said that I wished it was more aggressive sounding, in some ways it may be a better match with wave table VCOs since they can sound very aggressive/harsh all on their own and having a buttery smooth VCF to tame them will often be complimentary. cooge

intuitionnyc 11th April 2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oinkbanana (Post 13248832)
so the wait continues.

What's your backer number? I am #161 for two (2) units.

I saw this was the latest update:
My 'Spring Break' is now over and the focus going forward is completion of all KickStarter units shipped, both assembled and DIY.

DIY - these will 100% ship (no matter the Backer #), by the end of April. There is not that many (< 15), and it's just easier to spend 1-2 days and get them all out at once because the "workflow" is different.

Assembled - I have shipped 109 assembled units so far. Starting tomorrow, I will begin shipping between 25 and 30 units a week, every week, until all modules are shipped. This will take until early June.

Firmware - there is a new update, V1.1c on the website. This fixes a few bugs in the 'Sample Player' mode.

oinkbanana 17th April 2018 11:40 AM

last week:
Quote:

until all modules are shipped. This will take until early June.
this week:
Quote:

I have to start back on E352s a bit. I took a big hit to the back account on taxes
I'm not impressed. I just want my ****ing module. Hire someone. quit the bull****.
shiee

Jack Weaver 20th May 2019 07:55 PM

In case anyone's interested, I have one for sale in Gearslutz classifieds.

DSC 15th August 2019 02:06 AM

Finally had a chance to redo my e370 panel. I really don't like the MetalPhoto black panel. Seems to stain really easy and my panel had a weird pattern in the black too. Anyone else don't like the original 'black' panel? You can rework them pretty easy. I blasted the original panel and properly coated it with matte black powdercoat. Then a two part epoxy white screenprint. Now it matches my case too! Quick little animated gif showing my process.

http://www.absolutextremes.com/e370.jpg

http://www.absolutextremes.com/e370.gif

oinkbanana 20th August 2019 10:39 PM

for all the bitching I did in this thread, this module keeps blowing me away. I love the sounds I can get out of it. well, I get out what I put in. for sure I'm gonna signup for Pauls next kickstarter super module.

I'm really looking forward to https://vital.audio for even more wavetable creation options.

defdaft 23rd August 2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oinkbanana (Post 14159950)
for all the bitching I did in this thread, this module keeps blowing me away. I love the sounds I can get out of it. well, I get out what I put in. for sure I'm gonna signup for Pauls next kickstarter super module.

I'm really looking forward to https://vital.audio for even more wavetable creation options.

Yeah, the E370 is a special module.. It amazes me how hi-fi it sounds - everything coming out of it sounds just.. crisp and clear, clean and fresh.. I don´t have the right words for it, but it being the wonder of fidelity that it is, it makes the post-processing much easier.
I haven´t spent enough time with it by far, but i´m looking forward to do it.

Also looking forward to new things coming my way from Mr. Paul S, and thinking about joining the kickstarter campaign. :) I sorely regret missing it for the 370, sure i got my hands on one anyway but to a much higher cost. And the GAS was terrible.

Thanks for the link to vital.audio, looks promising and very useful! rockout

oinkbanana 2nd September 2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defdaft (Post 14164254)
Yeah, the E370 is a special module.. It amazes me how hi-fi it sounds - everything coming out of it sounds just.. crisp and clear, clean and fresh.. I don´t have the right words for it, but it being the wonder of fidelity that it is, it makes the post-processing much easier.
I haven´t spent enough time with it by far, but i´m looking forward to do it.

Also looking forward to new things coming my way from Mr. Paul S, and thinking about joining the kickstarter campaign. :) I sorely regret missing it for the 370, sure i got my hands on one anyway but to a much higher cost. And the GAS was terrible.

Thanks for the link to vital.audio, looks promising and very useful! rockout

the next kickstarter, upcoming E520 Hyperion, is going to be a stereo multi-effect unit. it wont be doing your spin effect stuff that's over saturated the market, but probably in the rainmaker and beyond territory.