Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   What is a pair of EMI TG12412 Eq's Worth? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1138153-what-pair-emi-tg12412-eqs-worth.html)

kroegermusic 9th February 2017 01:22 AM

What is a pair of EMI TG12412 Eq's Worth?

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what is a pair of EMI TG12412 Eq's Worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kroegermusic 9th February 2017 06:15 PM

bump

unitymusic 9th February 2017 06:22 PM

You might have a hard time getting an answer to this question, because they're pretty rare and I imagine not many are sold very frequently. There's a pair on vintage king right now, your best bet is probably to contact them and see what they're charging.

kroegermusic 11th February 2017 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unitymusic (Post 12435722)
You might have a hard time getting an answer to this question, because they're pretty rare and I imagine not many are sold very frequently. There's a pair on vintage king right now, your best bet is probably to contact them and see what they're charging.

Thanks for the response. I'm referring to the 4 band mastering equalizer, not the filters. I didn't know that they shared the same number. But I think you're right its going to be hard to value them regardless although they are around occasionally.

Wiggy Neve Slut 11th February 2017 09:18 AM

The realm of collectors and hedge fund managers that vintage king cates to now... They're the price makers now.

Wind back 12 years they had the island studios mobile Helios desk for sale.. Was around 45k usd, I'd need a diffribulator after fathoming how much they'd price it at now??

As much as I dislike them driving prices up in key vintage kit, there's a silver lining that my vintage kit portfolio performs better tha my retirement fund .. So it's a bit of yingyangyingyang

Besides gear is more fun to play with than a annual statement kfhkhrockout

Wiggy

Drumsound 11th February 2017 05:20 PM

Those are useless. I'd be happy to house them for you, ya know, anything to help a fellow Gearslut.

kroegermusic 12th February 2017 06:21 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_k8FpKh5P4J...Picture+66.png these are what I'm referring to

kroegermusic 12th February 2017 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumsound (Post 12439644)
Those are useless. I'd be happy to house them for you, ya know, anything to help a fellow Gearslut.

:cowbell:

Silvertone 12th February 2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut (Post 12439153)
The realm of collectors and hedge fund managers that vintage king cates to now... They're the price makers now.

Wind back 12 years they had the island studios mobile Helios desk for sale.. Was around 45k usd, I'd need a diffribulator after fathoming how much they'd price it at now??

As much as I dislike them driving prices up in key vintage kit, there's a silver lining that my vintage kit portfolio performs better tha my retirement fund .. So it's a bit of yingyangyingyang

Besides gear is more fun to play with than a annual statement kfhkhrockout

Wiggy

So my vintage, one of a kind Langevin 12x3 tube console should be worth a fortune. Ha ha

It's worth a fortune to me because of the sound she captures... that's all that really matters in my world

Screw collectors... these things need to live, breathe and work!

kroegermusic 12th February 2017 11:24 PM

so would 4k per module be in the ballpark...?

Wiggy Neve Slut 12th February 2017 11:29 PM

That's prolly too cheap!

bushwick 13th February 2017 02:21 PM

It's very possible that for $8k+ you might get more use out of something else. If it's germane to your envisioned use, have they been gone through and checked for matching? Are they stock and original?

Something to think about it is what else will $8k buy you from a use standpoint though you should be able to get your money out of these if you buy and they don't exactly fit the bill. As a comparison, that money could essentially get you in the ballpark of GML 9500, Knif Soma, Buzz REQ...

If money isn't a big worry for you then just get them and see how you like them. I think $8k would be a fair deal for what they are and what they were designed to do. Condition is important.

If you are looking for something that has wow-bling factor these are very high up the list.

If you get them, I'd love to hear how they measure up for you after a month or so of using them.

kroegermusic 15th February 2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushwick (Post 12442931)
It's very possible that for $8k+ you might get more use out of something else. If it's germane to your envisioned use, have they been gone through and checked for matching? Are they stock and original?

Something to think about it is what else will $8k buy you from a use standpoint though you should be able to get your money out of these if you buy and they don't exactly fit the bill. As a comparison, that money could essentially get you in the ballpark of GML 9500, Knif Soma, Buzz REQ...

If money isn't a big worry for you then just get them and see how you like them. I think $8k would be a fair deal for what they are and what they were designed to do. Condition is important.

If you are looking for something that has wow-bling factor these are very high up the list.

If you get them, I'd love to hear how they measure up for you after a month or so of using them.

I own a buzz with active lf cards but from what ive heard the emi units would compliment the sound of that unit nicely. I'm still just trying to figure out the worth in today's market value. Big purchase with no guarantees or warranties like new gear. If i do end up getting some more info and purchasing them ill for sure let you know how they stack up!

unitymusic 16th February 2017 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroegermusic (Post 12448052)
I own a buzz with active lf cards but from what ive heard the emi units would compliment the sound of that unit nicely. I'm still just trying to figure out the worth in today's market value. Big purchase with no guarantees or warranties like new gear. If i do end up getting some more info and purchasing them ill for sure let you know how they stack up!

Good luck and I hope you get them if you'll put them to use! If you can get them for $4k per module I'd take that offer if they work and you've got the money. I think that's a fair price, but due to the "collectors" value I'd expect the asking price to be more in the $12k-$15k range for a pair, but that's just a wild guess. For that price there are lots of other tools that will do the job for a lot less, and I hate seeing the price of great classic gear being driven up by collectors. The people that use the stuff should be able to afford it.

Have you looked into a Chandler curve bender to see if that could possibly be an alternative? It has the advantage of not only a warranty, but also the possibility of a demo period. Also, I used to use the now discontinued Abbey Road plugins including this EQ, and while I know it wouldn't compare to the real thing they were still some of my favorite plugins ever. It's a shame they discontinued support for them.

Silvertone 16th February 2017 12:02 PM

Call Vintage King, talk to Mike Nehera (one of the owners), I'm sure they'd love to rep this piece of history. If anything he'd at least let you know a ballpark value. I'd say 10 to 20k range depending.

Of course any piece of gear is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

My console I would like at 50k, why? Show me another one... anywhere... I haven't been able to find another like her in 10 years now. I know where every 201A tube module exists... and there are only about 30 of them out there in the world. I used to own 22 of them.

So unobtainium does come into play with this gear... as long as the sound is there IMHO.

Good luck.

kroegermusic 21st February 2017 06:47 AM

looks like they're off the market for now but ill keep my eyes peeled. thanksfor the responses guys