Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Burl questions with Macbook Pro (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1133255-burl-questions-macbook-pro.html)

RichardDreyfuss 15th January 2017 12:33 AM

Burl questions with Macbook Pro

Hey guys, long-time reader - learner - new poster

I'm looking at getting the Burl B2 Bomber ADC and DAC or the Burl B16 Mothership with 8 ins and 8 outs.

As for the Burl B2 Bomber ADC, I'm not fully understanding how to connect the unit/s to my Macbook Pro. Newbie at this, but there is no Thunderbolt connection. Help explaining this would be greatly appreciated!

Also, basic question, but if I ran through two mic-pres, am I able to record both mics at the same time through the B2? Say if I were recording an upright piano. There are two xlr ins, I'm just hoping I'm not missing anything here.

As for the B16 Mothership, I would rather not connect through USB2 (reduces to capacity to 96k, and when there's thunderbolt avail now why have a USB2?)...

Are there other cost-effective ways to connect the B16 to my Macbook Pro? I would rather not have the virtual Dante running (latency worries). Basic explanation of this would be amazing.

I've watched their set-up videos and am still confused.

Thanks for reading, and your help!

Mark.

Josedav 25th May 2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardDreyfuss (Post 12376941)

I'm looking at getting the Burl B2 Bomber ADC and DAC or the Burl B16 Mothership with 8 ins and 8 outs.

As for the Burl B2 Bomber ADC, I'm not fully understanding how to connect the unit/s to my Macbook Pro. Newbie at this, but there is no Thunderbolt connection. Help explaining this would be greatly appreciated!

Also, basic question, but if I ran through two mic-pres, am I able to record both mics at the same time through the B2? Say if I were recording an upright piano. There are two xlr ins, I'm just hoping I'm not missing anything here.

As for the B16 Mothership, I would rather not connect through USB2 (reduces to capacity to 96k, and when there's thunderbolt avail now why have a USB2?)...

Are there other cost-effective ways to connect the B16 to my Macbook Pro? I would rather not have the virtual Dante running (latency worries). Basic explanation of this would be amazing.

I've watched their set-up videos and am still confused.

Thanks for reading, and your help!

Mark.

Would also appreciate this info- hooking the Burl B16 Mothership with 8 ins and 8 outs to Mac Book Pro using Thunderbolt inputs...
Thanks!

vaimaka 1st June 2018 06:19 AM

also interested in the same questions!!!!

cambodia risen 1st June 2018 08:25 AM

Hey Mark,
I've had some good help from contacting Burl directly in the past.
https://burlaudio.com/contact

Alndln 2nd June 2018 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardDreyfuss (Post 12376941)

As for the Burl B2 Bomber ADC, I'm not fully understanding how to connect the unit/s to my Macbook Pro. Newbie at this, but there is no Thunderbolt connection.

It's not an audio interface. It's an Analog to Digital Converter. It needs to be hooked up to the digital inputs of an existing audio interface. (vis SPDIF etc.)

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Burl only offers USB and DANTE. Either way though that's not really an interface either. The B16 is just a rack that houses other Burl products similar to a 500 series rack. If I were you I would start with a good sounding interface with digital connections with low latency drivers like RME or Focusrite Red or Clarett. If your not happy with the sound you could then add converters like the Burl.

elegentdrum 2nd June 2018 02:29 AM

To answer you question in a general sense. The protocol is the format the converters send to the computer. There are many choices:
MADI
Duante
USB
Thunderbolt
SPDIF
AES
Firewire
ADAT optical

Then you get a PCIe card that accepts the protocol you use, if the computer does not already have that kind of input.

MADI PCIe cards from RME are the most commonly accepted good PCIe cards with good drivers. Not cheap. But if you are looking at Burl, I would suggest an RME-PCIe card.

I'm PC guy, not MAC. I think RME goes both ways. Apogee may have stuff for the mac that's worth a look.

I happen to use SSL MX4 cards & Drivers.

Alndln 2nd June 2018 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elegentdrum (Post 13349185)
MADI PCIe cards from RME are the most commonly accepted good PCIe cards with good drivers. Not cheap. But if you are looking at Burl, I would suggest an RME-PCIe card.

The OP has a laptop (Macbook Pro). RME also makes USB to MADI if wants to go that route. Again though, I would suggest getting a interface with good converters and low latency drivers if I were him and add on from there.

Side note. Thunderbolt doesn't automatically = low latency. Well written drivers come heavily into play. On the Mac side I'd go with RME or MOTU.

elegentdrum 2nd June 2018 02:58 AM

RME: HDSPe MADIface

lespritdescalier 28th August 2018 12:51 PM

The B16 also can be configured with a BMB4 card for Waves Soundgrid, which lets you connect the B16 to the MBP with an ethernet cable (cat5e/cat6/ or cat7) and a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter. Soundgrid is free, and runs up to 64 channels at low latency (just under a millisecond at 40 samples/0.8ms) and i think it's limited to 16 channels if you go up to 192khz but that's pretty standard, plus B16 is max 8in/8out anyway. Going this route would mean you wouldn't need an audio interface per se as mentioned above.

Silver Sonya 15th September 2018 11:55 PM

Burl seems to be addressing the MacBook market now. I'm excited about it.

- c