Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Thick and Creamy Basslines!! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/112942-thick-creamy-basslines.html)

Mixmoses 6th March 2007 05:35 AM

Thick and Creamy Basslines!!

What gear or synths are people using to get such full sounding basslines (like Trentemoller) that don't smear the other elements in the track?

I am using Reason, and after some serious tweaking I am able to create a sound that I like, but it just doesn't seem to have the same warmness and still cut through as some of his stuff.

I know Reason is not the best sound quality, but I really like to use reason as a starting point and then I track and re-track in PTLE, which is why I need something that doesn't sound so low end, and is just as tweakable.

Any recommendations?

Moses

ShaneFontane 6th March 2007 06:52 AM

Omega 8... although i would like to check out a SE1-X, haven't heard one in person but the price is pretty tempting...

cynic one 6th March 2007 06:58 AM

se1x!

Mixmoses 6th March 2007 08:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. kfhkh

Considering the huge price difference between the Omega 8 and the SE1x, the SE1x seems like the more feasible one for me.

Anyone else have suggestions?

M

edit machine 6th March 2007 08:51 AM

you need an analog synth for really warm bass. Korg Mono/Poly is really powerful and warm. the moog voyager can do a nice smooth and warm bass. the studio electronics ATC - 1 makes a great smooth low end that a lot of hip hop and techno producers swear by, especially since you can get different filter cartridges for it.

krisstoff 6th March 2007 11:04 AM

What i imeditley thought when i read thick creamy basslines was a Roland Juno 106

Tomer1 6th March 2007 02:23 PM

Who needs Vco and Dco driver synths gimme software! :)
For Warm analog like Bass i would turn to Vaz modular or Gmedia Minimonsta

basscakes 6th March 2007 04:50 PM

Good synth, good outboard EQ and Compressor or good plugin proccesing. I don't think you can peg down what you are talking about to one synth. I would say it is a combination of good synth programming, engineering and mastering, not one magic box...

DeadZone 6th March 2007 07:26 PM

So far happy with SE-1 and ATC-1 thumbsup

analographi 6th March 2007 07:30 PM

I'm not so sure what kind of bass you mean...

But Trilogy is a nice tool. I like it alot.

To make any bass sound warm though I need a good eq and compression, URS work well for me. Of course analog is alway nicer, but you only have what you have.

To make it clear compress so that you have 20ms -50ms from the attack coming through, compress the rest. that gives space but makes the bass hearable..

ShaneFontane 6th March 2007 07:47 PM

if i was you, i would run wit the se as well... i dont think you can find something more reliable and ever ready within that price range then the se...

Reznik 6th March 2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basscakes (Post 1165214)
Good synth, good outboard EQ and Compressor or good plugin proccesing. I don't think you can peg down what you are talking about to one synth. I would say it is a combination of good synth programming, engineering and mastering, not one magic box...

+1

btw, what about a 303 clone?
like the mb33

Siem 6th March 2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reznik (Post 1165499)
+1

btw, what about a 303 clone?
like the mb33

the Syntecno T303 (the first edition) combined with a nice Eventide effect defines a thick creamy bassline for me!

pr0gr4m 6th March 2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisstoff (Post 1164876)
What i imeditley thought when i read thick creamy basslines was a Roland Juno 106

That's exactly what I thought.

The Roland SH-101 is one of my favs.

aaeronn 7th March 2007 02:10 AM

Forget the 303 (no slam intended but they are 20 years old - hardware is starting to wear out, expensive for what you get and limited sound potential) - get a futureretro 777 instead - same step sequencer (side/accent) but a whole lot more sound sculpting capability, CV inputs, MIDI, filter input, and they do 303 just fine if you are looking for that sound

Cojo 7th March 2007 02:21 AM

It's funny to read threads like this... everyone comes up with a different suggestion of what's best! hittt

Of those synth allready suggested I'd recomend the Mono/Poly. It's a warm, nice and analogue sounding synth. Hey, it IS analogue! kfhkh

Mixmoses 7th March 2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Basscakes,

I agree completely. However, I am trying to find a better source than Reason's Subtractor and Maelstrom synths. They are fine for initially getting an idea down, but they lack what I am looking for (I can get pretty close with eq and compression, but I am sure you understand what I mean).

Moses

dlmorley 7th March 2007 10:18 AM

My top 3

1) Minimoog
2) Minimoog
3) Minimoog

Mixmoses 7th March 2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlmorley (Post 1166909)
My top 3

1) Minimoog
2) Minimoog
3) Minimoog

How does the Arturia sofware version compare to the original? Hardware version would certainly be my preference, just a little out of my budget right now.

Moses

woomanmoomin 7th March 2007 01:30 PM

Whatever you use, you could probably make it sound smoother and creamier by running the output through a reasonable tube pre-amp with reasonable (probably NOS) tubes in it. RCA black-plate 12AX7 types would probably be good for this application, given the right equipment, and Sylvania and Philips 12AX7 and Mullard ECC83 types can also make for a warm, smooth tone. Brimar and RCA 12AT7 types could also work. I'm not as familiar with the tubes from many other families, but 12AX7 family tubes are pretty common in audio gear anyway (especially pre-amps, I expect, because 12AX7s/ECC83s in particular are fairly high-gain tubes), so it might be worth looking into this. There are many professional electronic acts who wouldn't dream of using anything VST without running it through tubes early on in the process.

NB Low-end tube pre-amps that starve the tubes of the proper voltage at their plates will generally not give professional results, so it's not worth spending $150 on some stupid little box with tubes in...

dlmorley 7th March 2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixmoses (Post 1167023)
How does the Arturia sofware version compare to the original? Hardware version would certainly be my preference, just a little out of my budget right now.

Moses

In my experience, they are good at sounding "like" a minimoog. It just doesn't have anything to do with the power and warmth of the real thing though.
The only softsynth I have is the V-Station and Vanguard becuase they are great for writing with on my laptop and for certain sounds, but a real minimoog (or my real fav, ARP 2600) just have such a rich sound that it is hard to replicate except with the real thing.
All IMHO obviously!

matucha 7th March 2007 01:42 PM

I have my (synth) basses covered with

Roland SH09 for softer character

SCI ProOne for harder sounds, but not only

I'm not looking for anything else...

basscakes 7th March 2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixmoses (Post 1166632)
Basscakes,

I agree completely. However, I am trying to find a better source than Reason's Subtractor and Maelstrom synths. They are fine for initially getting an idea down, but they lack what I am looking for (I can get pretty close with eq and compression, but I am sure you understand what I mean).

Moses

For what its worth, a good modern Analog that is smooth, although dark and won't break the bank is the Waldorf Pulse. A couple of people have suggested the Roland Juno 106 (not my favorite Roland for bass), and the Studio Electronics Stuff which I would second also just on the fact that they are all equipped with modern features like presets, midi and will be capable bass machines. How about the MAM/NEXT! MB 33 303 emulator. Its another mono bass synth that can be had for a fair price...

rids 7th March 2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

I strongly second this. I think you could really have any analog and produce great bass from it if you processed it right. And in the end, it would sound better than any one analog synth. Treatment treatment treatment

Cojo 7th March 2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basscakes (Post 1167189)
How about the MAM/NEXT! MB 33 303 emulator. Its another mono bass synth that can be had for a fair price...

The MB may be good for certain styles but it can't play sustained notes. It only has a simple decay envelope.

basscakes 7th March 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cojo (Post 1167197)
The MB may be good for certain styles but it can't play sustained notes. It only has a simple decay envelope.

I did not know that. Just seems like a good deal for a mono synth...

Cojo 7th March 2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basscakes (Post 1167213)
I did not know that. Just seems like a good deal for a mono synth...

Yes it is good value for the money! If you set a long decay time it is really not a big problem if you're not going to play long notes.

Fredrik 7th March 2007 03:47 PM

Pro one thumbsup

matucha 7th March 2007 05:16 PM

If you want to stay ITB, I think almost everything is upgrade to subtractor, that was always very papery sounding to me, not useful for basslines at all. NI Pro53 can do the job (but is a bit stiff), Arturia's minimoog has weight (but is always a bit soft/chorusy even if you use only one oscilator). I use these for the dummy midi basslines when I have no acces to the HW and sometimes I'm on edge of keeping them (ie lazy), but still I'm able to make more characterfull bases with HW...

At times well programmed Pro53 kills badly programed HW...

Reznik 7th March 2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cojo (Post 1167225)
Yes it is good value for the money! If you set a long decay time it is really not a big problem if you're not going to play long
notes.

how long?