Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Anyone Remember The DMP3 Preamp By M-Audio? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/1117556-anyone-remember-dmp3-preamp-m-audio.html)

nt2a 13th October 2016 07:01 PM

Anyone Remember The DMP3 Preamp By M-Audio?

It was my first preamp. I had a pci audio card that i connected it to by m-audio as well. it supposedly has 75dB og gain which is a lot. i used a sm58 with it i never remember hearing it have hisss. why have preamps gotten worse?

ShellTones 13th October 2016 11:38 PM

I still use the DMP3 as my clean preamp. It would take a preamp at the level of a John Hardy to get me to upgrade.

nt2a 14th October 2016 05:50 AM

i just did a forum search for dmp3. i saw someone say it has issues with some frequencies. im curious if thats true. i kinda wanted to buy one for nostalgia reasons thinking it could still be good.

ShellTones 14th October 2016 07:05 PM

I cannot address that claim, nor have I heard it before. I find the DMP3 to be clean, smooth, and neutral (it was based on the same INA163 Op Amp as the original Grace 101).

In my experience, frequency issues are usually caused by the instrument, mic or mic placement.

guitarsfrommars 14th October 2016 10:45 PM

I have a JJ Audio modded DMP3. Clear/clean, tracks stack well. Sounds good and has multiple uses where I live and track.

heppy

lame pseudonym 15th October 2016 05:05 PM

Ugh. Mine sounded awful. It had the INA preamp but then a long string of really nasty opamps. It looked cool though.

I bought an INA chip and a circuit board for it which I will assemble some day I don't have anything better to do.

caotico 22nd October 2016 06:57 PM

I've been wondering about a good, cheap pre for ribbons, and I remember that everybody seemed to be talking about this on the low end of the price scale about a decade ago.

M.S.P. 23rd October 2016 10:54 AM

Why, oh why, did they make these taller than a rack space....

monkeyxx 22nd February 2017 04:35 PM

I remember when these were all the rage when I was first starting out.

Never did get my hands on one. Seems like a cool little bit of audio gear history.

Bushman 22nd February 2017 05:06 PM

I am looking at my DMP3. I have the later blackface model. When I bought it, it was noticeably quieter and better-sounding than my PreSonus interface preamps. Today it is not noticeably better (or worse) than the interface preamps from three manufacturers that I currently use. Given that, I really have no reason to complicate my setup by patching it in. It has meters that don't translate to studio-standard or current digital levels, but the clip light is accurate and bright. I was going to sell it on eBay, but they seem to sell for little more than shipping costs. I think I'll keep it to convert my tape machine outputs (RCA) to balanced and add some clean gain into Dolby A cards for the rare times I try to restore and digitalize an old tape. It is clean and seems completely neutral and pleasant-sounding when working in its comfort zone.
And yes, it is a stupid design choice that leaves the user with a package that is not easy to rack.

Bushman 22nd February 2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caotico (Post 12209722)
I've been wondering about a good, cheap pre for ribbons, and I remember that everybody seemed to be talking about this on the low end of the price scale about a decade ago.

The DMP doesn't have the 80db of clean gain that really guarantees a preamp will work with all passive ribbons. Spend your money on at least one channel of Cloudlifter (or a similar device). The Cloudlifter has clean gain and presents a ribbon with a high impedance input optimized for it. It is also useful with low gain dynamic mics.

Bstapper 22nd February 2017 10:20 PM

I carry one with a 57 in my gigbag for when my princeton needs some extra headroom...

Rolleum 24th June 2017 01:05 AM

I really love my DMP3s, got 2 silverfaces of it, and will buy a third in 4 weeks, blackface. Modded with better caps in the signal path and PSU, it has incredible low noise, so I use these units mainly for grand piano recordings, beside a ADL600 highend preamp, which I use for Voc and other. Also you can make a poti swap, and solder some Bourns rev log conductive plastic, what brings some other dB of less noise. I needed to replace the old and cheap potis, so I had this experience of better sounding pots. With some FETheads from Tritone Audio, its the perfect ribbon preamp for a bargain. Finally, I modded 6 DMP3 preamps, and I am looking forward to do the next mod :-)

390560 24th June 2017 01:31 AM

The DMP3 was one of the only things that M Audio (Midiman) made that could be taken seriously for signal processing. Question, does anyone remember The Peavey VMP2 Dual Tube Pre?

noah330 24th June 2017 02:39 AM

The VMP-2 was really nice (as I remember it). I had one that I bought along with one of those Digitech tube compressors (VCS-1?)

rockmanrock 25th June 2017 03:23 AM

Great little box. The dual op-amps are NJM4560's, eight in total. I'm tempted to try these NJM5532 ones, they're SIP8:

NJM5532L - Dual Industry Standard

ZEF 25th June 2017 06:29 AM

DMP3 was the rage for entry and it totally blew away the yamaha minidisk mixer preamps i was trying to use.
added a RNC and it was a really nice sound as I recall.
Being so impressed I traded that combo for a higher end one but it wasnt as much of an improvement the 2nd time.
The improvements got much smaller after the DMP3/RNC combo.

Rolleum 25th June 2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmanrock (Post 12698569)
Great little box. The dual op-amps are NJM4560's, eight in total. I'm tempted to try these NJM5532 ones, they're SIP8:

NJM5532L - Dual Industry Standard

Thanks for the advice. I could make the mod with the NJM5532 and swap the 4560. Thats probably a really good idea. Anyway, the mod I do is really awesome with replacing the condensors in the signal path, and PSU.

PaulRain 22nd September 2017 10:56 AM

If I remember it?
I have 4 :)
I use them when I need more than 8 Channels, I have better preamps but there is nothing stopping me from make good recordings with those.
The real bad thing about them is the height, they can fit in a 1U rack space and this is a real problem for me because my rack if full, so two are not in the rack and I take them with me when I really need 16 channels.
I'm thinking since long time to take them apart and mount 2 by two in a new case, but I need to drill the holes and make a print for the face plate, no time now.
In terms of mods I searched around and i wound the important thing is to cut the VU light power supply because the whole system is a little on the tight side in terms of current needed and the light is useless (the whole VU meter is totally useless, my plan is to take them out if I will ever fit them on a new case).
Anyway, if there is some other mod any of you really suggest and care to share I thanks you in advance.

Rolleum 22nd September 2017 12:28 PM

Hello PaulRain,

the great thing is, that you can mod the power supply and some caps in the signal path. It becomes dead silent, changing approx. 116 caps. You got right, the VU Meteres are just for fun, not really sensitive enough, but the light is fine. Just cut off the cables from the VU Meters, when its embarrassing you

PaulRain 25th September 2017 01:20 PM

116 Caps? hahaha... not really a quick and easy mod.

Rolleum 26th September 2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRain (Post 12868361)
116 Caps? hahaha... not really a quick and easy mod.

Ups....it was a writing fault, I meant 16 caps in signal path and PSU. But its really worth to do it.

PaulRain 27th September 2017 05:04 PM

actually I was wondering how can that fit 116 caps :)
Did you use the same values but just better quality?

Rolleum 28th September 2017 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRain (Post 12873193)
actually I was wondering how can that fit 116 caps :)
Did you use the same values but just better quality?

In the signal path, yes, in the PSU a bit higher capacity, like 1000uF than 470uF, or 220uF than 110uF. Also the coupling caps before the outputs , I changed from electrolytics to Wima Foil. That brings much more clarity. Perhaps I could make a photo these days, if somebody is interested, so that some can redo the mod.

PaulRain 28th September 2017 08:44 AM

I can make the photo if you want, then you could write on top of it what you changed...

Rolleum 28th September 2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRain (Post 12874519)
I can make the photo if you want, then you could write on top of it what you changed...

Good idea. I can also make a photo, but have plenty things to do. As I am in the studio 2-3 times the week, it wont be a problem to make a picture.

Cornett 8th February 2018 01:25 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just bought one of these for $70 and would like to perform this mod. Rolleum- would you mind listing the caps you changed and the values? Thank you for the ones already mentioned the ones in the PS.

Rolleum 8th February 2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornett (Post 13127978)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just bought one of these for $70 and would like to perform this mod. Rolleum- would you mind listing the caps you changed and the values? Thank you for the ones already mentioned the ones in the PS.

Yes, I can help you doing the mod. As I come this saturday to my studio, I can make a photo then, and put it here in with the description of the caps / which to swap. I simply forgot this thread due to some travels the last 3 month.

Rolleum 12th February 2018 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally, here the DMP3 mod. Sorry for the late reply.

In the signal path, change C 8,9,10,20,21,22 to Wima MKP4 0,1uF. Output caps to Wima MKS 2 6,8uF is sufficient, 10uF also possible, but the bigger they are the more fiddly it is. Sorry that I cant exactly say which C they are, C4 for shure, its not visible any more because of the caps, but you see them on the photo. Original is electrolytic cheap cap around 10 or 20uF. The caps C 6, 7, 18, 19 you can bypass, when you dont use the preamp with instrumental inputs. If you use the instrument input, fit in some 6,8uF Wima's. PSU mod is following: C 29 replace with 220uF. I used Panasonic FM or FC, C 29, 30, 33,34 replace with 1000uF. I used first the 1500uF, but they are definitely too big, and the pins are too big for the holes. Also they are too big to fit in the case. I had to drill bigger holes, so better use the 1000uF with thin pins, plenty sufficient. Have fun ! The great thing is that the noise floor is reduced to an absolute minimum, and dynamic mics for examle as the MD441 sound nearly like a condensor. Still one of my best preamps in my studio beside the ADL 600 and Yamaha MLA8.

Advice: Everybody does this modification on his own risk. I am not responsible for any damages of equipment or injuries.

Rolleum 12th February 2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushman (Post 12461419)
The DMP doesn't have the 80db of clean gain that really guarantees a preamp will work with all passive ribbons. Spend your money on at least one channel of Cloudlifter (or a similar device). The Cloudlifter has clean gain and presents a ribbon with a high impedance input optimized for it. It is also useful with low gain dynamic mics.

I use the modded DMP3 since I got a pair of Apex 205 with great results. Also the Apex 205 were modified with better transformers and only one mesh. With two Fetheads from Tritone Audio, its a really good combination.