Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Q+A with Steffi and Martyn (aka Doms and Deykers) (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-steffi-amp-martyn-aka-doms-amp-deykers-/)
-   -   The collaborative process? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-steffi-amp-martyn-aka-doms-amp-deykers-/1117031-collaborative-process.html)

mr jkn 11th October 2016 05:02 PM

The collaborative process?

Hi!

I´ve listened to and played your individual stuff out for some time now. Enjoy it a lot. Thank you for dropping by!

Steffi´s stuff I would describe as more synth-driven than Martyn´s, which in turn seems to be very sample-driven (am I right?). So how would you describe your collaborative process - who does what and how?

Cheers!

martyn3024 12th October 2016 04:01 PM

Hey!
Martyn here - many thanks for your question - I'm excited to see what comes up during this Q&A :) Steffi has her own account so some questions we will answer together while others are separate..

Anyway as far as our personal "sounds" - I think there's an interesting progression when you look at our earliest studio experiments (Fonts for the people EP) and our most recent songs (on the LP).

Of course we both have our own way of working, I have some hardware that i use as well as a lot of processing of samples, using recycled versions of sounds I worked with before, maintaining a singular sound all through my music.. Steffi is very much about a hands-on approach of sequencing and playing with outboard gear, using Logic as a recording and arranging device more than a composing device. For me it was really great to see how that worked and it also generated many new ideas. Things I would've never come up with in my own studio. I think it worked vice versa as well, so we both were vibing not only off each other's musical ideas but also approach in how to realize them. The more studio time we had, the more these two approaches gelled together. I think the album really shows how all tracks have become more than just the sum of its parts. We found a really nice way of using all our musical ideas and techniques purposefully.

There's really no set tasks for each of us, but by working together we figured out who is good at what. We have become quite open to each other's input so for example if I feel with a certain track that an arrangement by Steffi would be more suitable than if I'd do it myself, then by all means I'd ask Steffi to arrange. On the other hand, if we feel a song needs some big strings-part and I could do a good job on that, then I will be the one doing it. The two things that were important in this regard are that we trust each others skills, and that we have done music in this way for a little while, as "practice", on the two D&D 12"es, the track we did for Ostgut Ton and also in the process of co-producing Virginia's album "Fierce for the Night", where we worked with Dexter and Virginia herself of course.

Hope this helps.. Maybe Steffi has more to add :)

destefster 12th October 2016 05:19 PM

hey!
thats correct, martyn does work more sample based then me and uses more software. i personally like to use a step sequencer (cirklon) that is the heart of my studio and all my hardware is connected to that. for our 'doms&deykers' project we used both worlds. we had some studio sessions in my studio using my set up and a session in his studio, using his way of working. the rest of the time we would constantly send files up and down after adding new elements or suggestions for arrangements. Skype and FaceTime seem to be the perfect way to make a long distance project happening :-) after every individual work session we would call and discuss the developments. sometimes we would even just call and play some lines trough the phone to see if it was in the right key or if the riff would be something useful. believe it or not, even that works

mr jkn 12th October 2016 08:15 PM

Thank you for your answers!

So I guess your workflow is quite explorative, which of course begs for the question: how long into the process takes it to decide what "sound" your ep´s shall have? Listening to for example "Dedicated to those who feel" ep, the old school rave vibe is quite dominant. Did you decide to take that route before actually making it?

And, I must just add, Löweborschtel (Steffi) and U1-U8 (Martyn) are some of my favourite tracks right now. Played both out couple of weeks ago to great success. rockout

destefster 24th October 2016 09:22 AM

thats good to hear! thanks for the support.

because we had so much conversations over the years about music, exchanging records, getting lost on discogs and in recordshops, we kinda knew where our worlds would meet for some reason. so all jams had a natural flow. a part of a writing process was also exchanging unfinished loops and i would work on an old sketch out of martyns archive and vise versa. for example 'transative' is a track on your forthcoming album that never made it on martyns first album and i totally fell in love with the beat and changed it around and we had a new loop to work with. 'eyes up' was a basic loop i had for years and never got the right vibe to finish so martyn had a play with it and came up with new elements and the track all of a sudden made sense. so we did not really have a plan other then just explore options :-)