Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Q+A with Mark Needham (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-mark-needham/)
-   -   Mix bus compression (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-mark-needham/1110231-mix-bus-compression.html)

rosewood123 1st September 2016 11:10 PM

Mix bus compression

Hi, Mark! Thanks for doing this. It's very cool and an awesome resource to get insight into such an experienced mixer's process.

Here are my two questions:

1) What's your view on mix bus compression? Do you like to set one up on the 2 bus and mix into it, do you never do that, or does it change base on the circumstances?

2) What are some of your favorite or go-to compressors for different instrument tracks that could use some compression (e.g., vocals, guitars, drum buses)?

Thanks again!

Mark Needham 2nd September 2016 03:15 PM

Mix bus compression

Right now I have kind of a complicated stereo buss path and I am mixing through it. I change this up sometimes so just to keep things interesting or to get a particular over all feel.Right now I usually start with this and use more of one or another depending on the song
Shadow Hills compressor
SSL G buss
K stereo
Maag EQ
Precision Multiband
ATR 102
Varible Mu
Curve Bender
These are all UAD plug-ins
For Vocals I usually use a combo of a silver face 1176 and silver LA2A
Electric guitars I use the SSL G a lot
Acoustic guitars I like the silver 1176
My drum buss is kind of crazy with 3 different parallel compression buss's and distortion FX and I am using a few different drum compressors on the individual drums.And sometimes I don't use any at all. I guess it depends on what I am going for on any particular song

Deleted User 2nd September 2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Needham (Post 12110359)
Right now I have kind of a complicated stereo buss path and I am mixing through it. I change this up sometimes so just to keep things interesting or to get a particular over all feel.Right now I usually start with this and use more of one or another depending on the song
Shadow Hills compressor
SSL G buss
K stereo
Maag EQ
Precision Multiband
ATR 102
Varible Mu
Curve Bender
These are all UAD plug-ins
For Vocals I usually use a combo of a silver face 1176 and silver LA2A
Electric guitars I use the SSL G a lot
Acoustic guitars I like the silver 1176
My drum buss is kind of crazy with 3 different parallel compression buss's and distortion FX and I am using a few different drum compressors on the individual drums.And sometimes I don't use any at all. I guess it depends on what I am going for on any particular song

Hi Mark, I favor many of the exact same tools and methods...just without all your pesky experience and talent! About that drum setup - are you generally establishing the parallel bus sounds first, or the individual kit sounds? Thanks!

Mark Needham 3rd September 2016 12:59 AM

Mix bus compression

I usually build both together , in other words I am changing my drum buss compression as I am getting sounds