Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   How do I start programming electronic drums (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/110982-how-do-i-start-programming-electronic-drums.html)

Hope209 22nd February 2007 06:48 PM

How do I start programming electronic drums

I know this is a super broad question but I'm interested how you guys are doing it. A buddy wants to start recording a Postal Service-esque project with me just for kicks whenever we have free nights. He ordered Komplete and should be getting it within a few days or so...I know it comes with Battery but I have no experience with it. We both have some basic knowledge of drumming, but no experience doing electronc stuff.

sleepwalker 22nd February 2007 06:52 PM

Hate to break it to you, but you just start. Expect your first beats to be pretty cheezeball too.

I recommend Reason Redrum as a really simple drum sequencer, but there are other options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hope209 (Post 1144241)
I know this is a super broad question but I'm interested how you guys are doing it. A buddy wants to start recording a Postal Service-esque project with me just for kicks whenever we have free nights. He ordered Komplete and should be getting it within a few days or so...I know it comes with Battery but I have no experience with it. We both have some basic knowledge of drumming, but no experience doing electronc stuff.

modistylee 22nd February 2007 07:12 PM

Battery should be good to start with. Do you have an audio/ midi sequencer?? This is also a necessity. It also very important for you to find quality orignal sounding samples as those will pretty much make or break your sound. Also if you are getting Komplete, it might be over your head but start messing about with Reaktor! There are some great drum machines available on the user database at the native isntruments site. Limelite is one of my favorites.

Jazzpunk 22nd February 2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Battery is awesome but you will need to be pretty comfortable triggering and manipulating midi to get the most out of it. Great sounding kits though.

I'll second the vote for Reason. If you are just delving into the world of electronica, Reason is a great place to start.

danasti 22nd February 2007 09:14 PM

1. A sequencer, a sampler, some samples and something to play those samples into the sequencer (or you can step sequence notes using a pencil tool in the progam's edit window, it breaks down the bars and measures of individual tracks - you mark when and where you want the note to play.)

2. Audio recorder, sampler, midi keyboard/pads to trigger the sampler and play the sounds into the audio recorder.

I use a korg pad kontrol, a nord lead to play samples. I use mostly #2 these days.

You can get the Korg PK, MPD16/24 and M-audio trigger finger or the Roland SPD xx, DrumKat which have bigger pads. You can also use a keyboard. These trigger Battery via midi or some USB. You just assign the sound to the pad, press record and play. It's really easy so don't worry too much about it, you can do it.

Quote:

ShaneFontane 22nd February 2007 09:34 PM

here's what i think... listen to good electronic music... without this, you will never be able to write good electronic music because you have no reference point... listen to the music... note the music if needed... then, begin to create what you hold in you imagination from what you have absorbed form what you have listened to... gear doesn't equal good beats, an understanding of good beats equals good beats :)

kennyd03 22nd February 2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaneFontane (Post 1144595)
here's what i think... listen to good electronic music... without this, you will never be able to write good electronic music because you have no reference point... listen to the music... note the music if needed... then, begin to create what you hold in you imagination from what you have absorbed form what you have listened to... gear doesn't equal good beats, an understanding of good beats equals good beats :)

This is good advice. I would also consider going one step further and actually try to re-create a beat from a track that you like. There's a lot to be learned from going through the process, from technical experience as well as musicality.

Good luck!

ElMosca 22nd February 2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

We both have some basic knowledge of drumming, but no experience doing electronc stuff.

I think your next step should be to solidify your understanding of drumming. Don't even need actual drums: a metronome, your hands and your lap should be all you need. Once you've broken a simple backbeat down and understood its components fully, programming one should be easy.

I also second the recommendation for Reason's Redrum. Really easy to program "on the fly" and study the afforementioned subject. I also agree that your first efforts will sound, er...basic, but that really is how we all learned to do it.

Best of luck,
++aldo

Hope209 1st March 2007 07:55 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions everybody! Komplete just came in and we installed it on my Mac. This looks like a REALLY fun bundle. We dove right in to the keyboard stuff but shied away from Battery and Kontakt.

Why are there so many installation cd's that come with this pack BTW (I only installed Disc 1 and it seems like all the libraries are installed)?

Reason Adapted came bundled with my Digi 002 (Im mixing in Cubase though), so I have access to ReDrum. I'm not sure how many electric drum samples it comes with though.

Are most of you programming drums in real time with a keyboard/trigger, or do you pencil it in? Appreciate all the help, everyone!!

Reptil 1st March 2007 08:10 AM

both realtime and programmed
I like drumpads
being a drummer helps
develop your own tricks, like you would on a regular kit
yeah, LISTEN both in the studio as in the club
ppl. tend to forget the latter sometimes
good advise in this thread, I have nothing to add really. yingyang