Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/)
-   -   Routing audio out of the audio interface, through guitar pedals and back (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1103827-routing-audio-out-audio-interface-through-guitar-pedals-back.html)

krgr 24th July 2016 05:16 PM

Routing audio out of the audio interface, through guitar pedals and back

Hi all,

I have the following setup:

Code:

Output 1 on audio interface -> input on guital pedal -> output on guitar pedal -> instr. input on audio interface.
I run a drum loop through the pedal to crunch up the drums a bit. However, the result I'm hearing is not what I'd expect.

First of all, when the DAW is NOT playing any audio, I hear a constant distortion signal that I can control with the knobs on the pedal.

Second, when I playback the drum loop, the resulting effected signal is so heavily distorted that it's hard to even recognise it as a drum loop.

Is there anything wrong with the output signal coming going from my interface to the pedal? Will this problem be solved with a so called re-aming box?

I've tried with two different pedals; a DOD DFX5 and a JOYO Crunch Distortion.

Thanks for any help.

wado1942 24th July 2016 06:14 PM

Guitar pedals are meant for very low-level inductive signals. You need a reamp box to isolate and reduce the output of your interface. Can you achieve the effect you want with plugins instead?

goldi 24th July 2016 06:26 PM

if only plugins were half as good as guitar pedals! no flame intended, just honoring OP request. your problem is solved: https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-LLS-2-.../dp/B0002MSVDY

SoundSlinger 24th July 2016 06:29 PM

I use a pair of Radial JDI boxes to take the output from my audio interface to some of my stereo pedals (Strymon's and TC's)... the JDI is a passive DI box so it can be used 'either way'. Works just fine.

krgr 24th July 2016 09:28 PM

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

So any DI box before the pedal should work? What's the difference between a DI and the Ebtech LLS-2 Line Level Shifter that was suggested above?

krgr 26th July 2016 11:33 PM

Looks like a DI box will not work, since the signal out of the DI box and into the pedal will be too loud. There's a couple of threads here already that discuss if it will work to use a DI box in reverse as a re-amp. And the answer seems to be no.

SoundSlinger 27th July 2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krgr (Post 12038642)
Looks like a DI box will not work, since the signal out of the DI box and into the pedal will be too loud. There's a couple of threads here already that discuss if it will work to use a DI box in reverse as a re-amp. And the answer seems to be no.

This is on page 11 of Radial's manual for the JDI (under 'other uses for your JDI'):
Use the Radial JDI to re-amplify your signal!
Today, a popular studio effect is to record a signal such as guitar, voice or keyboard on a track and then run the pre-recorded track back through a guitar amplifier or effect pedal. This effect is known as reamping or re-amplifying and was started by Les Paul in the 1950’s and was widely used on recordings by the Beatles in the 60’s, and by Steely Dan in the 1970’s.

The Radial JDI can be used ‘backwards’ to convert a low-impedance mic level signal back to a high-impedance guitar signal. Simply connect the output from the recorder to a mixer and the mixer’s output to the JDI’s XLR output using a female-to- female XLR turn-around adaptor. Keep your level down to ensure the signal will not overload the JDI’s transformer. Connect the ‘input’ of the JDI to the input of the guitar amplifier and you are set to go!
I tried it with a JDI and it worked... so I bought a second in order to run stereo busses out to stereo pedals. BTW, I believe this to NOT be the case for 'active' DI boxes.

Lumbergh 27th July 2016 05:10 PM

Smart DI and the reamp cable. Line level operation, sounds great, really versatile, tough as old boots kfhkh

philsaudio 27th July 2016 08:45 PM

I have used one of those Low Z mic to Hi Z amp transformers into the amp and pedals.

Have to turn the I/F level down and inject into the xlr then plug the 1/4" into the pedal.

Not sure if you can get the sound you want but it works.

joeq 28th July 2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldi (Post 12033991)
if only plugins were half as good as guitar pedals! no flame intended, just honoring OP request. your problem is solved: https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-LLS-2-.../dp/B0002MSVDY

on your planet, "good" means "bad" right? jkthtyrt

http://www.fggam.org/wp-content/uplo...zarroworld.jpg

for a few bucks more than a hardware box to interface cheap, noisy guitar pedals that are going to be used to "crunch up" a drum loop, the OP could purchase a copy of Soundtoys Decapitator and have a vast range of possible sounds from subtle edge, to "crunch", to total shredding annihilation.

goldi 28th July 2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq (Post 12041418)
for a few bucks more than a hardware box to interface cheap, noisy guitar pedals that are going to be used to "crunch up" a drum loop, the OP could purchase a copy of Soundtoys Decapitator and have a vast range of possible sounds from subtle edge, to "crunch", to total shredding annihilation.

that's certainly an option. but for a few less bucks OP can get a Waldorf 2 pole which annihilates decapitator.

reelbigspikey 23rd August 2016 11:54 PM

Radial makes just the box for this, the EXTC. Has 2 different selectable effects loops, send and receive level controls, and a blend knob for adding back in dry signal. Basically it is just a combo reamp and DI in the same box.

g_loop 9th April 2019 12:11 PM

Hi guys.
Should the suggestions also work for an aux send out of a desk?
So aux out into 're amp into pedal back into the desk via a Hi z input?
I've got this setup currently using a radial passive reamp into Big Muff. So much noise and not so much desired sound. Direct into the reamp from my synths sounds magic. I must be missing something?

reelbigspikey 12th April 2019 07:22 PM

Guitar pedals are built to see an instrument level signal from a guitar pickup--so inputs are Hi-Z impedance and expect to see low instrument level. The aux out of your desk is probably higher line level and not the correct impedance for your guitar pedals.

You can use a "reamp" device to send a line level signal from your desk, and convert it to instrument level. You could bring it back into the desk via a DI into a preamp, or into a dedicated instrument Hi-Z. If it is noisey, it could be coming from either ground loop issues, an intrinsically noisey pedal, bad cabling, or a low quality desk preamp/Hi-Z input.

If you plug a guitar into the Big Muff and into a instrument Hi-Z input, are you getting noise? Which reamp device are you using, and is there an option to lift ground?

DirkP 17th April 2019 04:01 PM

Some new interfaces have re-amp possibilities integrated. IIRC there is one from Audient and one from IK Multimedia (Axe). They offer an amp out with a hi-z signal.

SoundSlinger 16th May 2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirkP (Post 13931172)
Some new interfaces have re-amp possibilities integrated. IIRC there is one from Audient and one from IK Multimedia (Axe). They offer an amp out with a hi-z signal.

The Apogee Ensemble has two guitar ins and two guitars out. I haven't used the JDIs for that job since I got it.

g_loop 23rd May 2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reelbigs***** (Post 13922267)
Guitar pedals are built to see an instrument level signal from a guitar pickup--so inputs are Hi-Z impedance and expect to see low instrument level. The aux out of your desk is probably higher line level and not the correct impedance for your guitar pedals.

You can use a "reamp" device to send a line level signal from your desk, and convert it to instrument level. You could bring it back into the desk via a DI into a preamp, or into a dedicated instrument Hi-Z. If it is noisey, it could be coming from either ground loop issues, an intrinsically noisey pedal, bad cabling, or a low quality desk preamp/Hi-Z input.

If you plug a guitar into the Big Muff and into a instrument Hi-Z input, are you getting noise? Which reamp device are you using, and is there an option to lift ground?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to see it.
I don't have a guitar. The synths direct in sound great.
I'm using a radial pro passive reamp box. It does have a ground lift. Makes no difference. I think the Aux sends on my desk are noisy and perhaps not sending a strong signal as well. I did some tests and they are definitely noisy. I just can't get a strong enough signal into the pedal to get above the ridiculous noise floor.

reelbigspikey 3rd June 2019 08:24 PM

Try just going directly from your interface's aux outs into the Big Muff. If your aux outs are low level, it might work to just drive the Big Muff directly. Any reamp device is going to drop the signal level, which might be too much if the aux outs are already low level.

This setup isn't "technically correct," but it may work for you.