Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Antelope Goliath (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1099052-antelope-goliath.html)

crypticglobe 24th June 2016 06:41 PM

Antelope Goliath
 
1 Attachment(s)
Still more great stuff from Antelope. Unbelievable array of i/o and DSP capabilities!!

Goliath Thunderbolt, USB & MADI Audio Interface | Antelope Audio



Some stuff from Marcel:

Analog Inputs
16 x Line inputs on two D-SUB 25, +20 dBu max, 11.2 kOhms
16 x Mic / Line universal inputs on XLR combos on the rear (first 4 can be used for instruments also)
4 x Instrument (HiZ) inputs on TRS 1/4 jacks on front
Analog Inserts
2 x Inserts on TRS 1/4 jacks (dedicated to rear universal inputs 1, 2)
Digital Inputs
2 x Fiber Optic MADI (up to 64CH each)
2 x ADAT (up to 16CH)
8 x AES/EBU on D-SUB 25 (16CHs)
1 x S/PDIF
Word Clock Input
1 x Input @ 75 Ohms 3Vpp on BNC 32 – 192kHz
Atomic Clock Input
1 x 10M Input @ 75 Ohms 1Vpp on BNC
Analog Outputs
24 x Line outs on two D-SUB 25, +20dBu, 56 Ohms
2 x Monitor outs on TRS 1/4 jacks
2 x Stereo Headphone outs on TRS
2 x ReAmp outs on TRS
Digital Outputs
2 x Fiber Optic MADI
2 x ADAT
8 x AES/EBU on D-SUB 25 (16CHs)
1 x S/PDIF
Word Clock Outputs
2 x Outputs @ 75 Ohms 3Vpp on BNC 32 – 192kHz
Thunderbolt
1 x Thunderbolt (64 channels I/O)
D/A Monitor Converter
Dynamic Range: 129 dB; THD + N: -108 dB
D/A Converter
Dynamic Range: 120 dB; THD + N: -107 dB
A/D Converter
Dynamic Range: 120 dB; THD + N: -110 dB
Clocking System
4th Generation Acoustically Focused Clocking
64-bit DDS
Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillator
Clocking Stability
<+/-0.02 ppm, oven controlled at 64.5°C/ 148.1°F
Clock Aging
<1 ppm per year
Clock Calibration
<+/-0.001 ppm

nyne 25th June 2016 06:23 PM

umm.....touch screen fail!
I have been waiting for these to ship! :)

Clybourne 25th June 2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyne (Post 11983211)
umm.....touch screen fail!
I have been waiting for these to ship! :)

lol, well I haven't had it fail, except for when I was looking at the guy with the camera and trying to press the screen at the same time.

I think you'll really enjoy the touchscreen. Quite convenient for a lot of things.

Units shipped to various dealers last week.

Regards,
Marcel

nyne 25th June 2016 07:59 PM

Great news! Ive been waiting for them to ship.
Looking forward to user reviews. On paper, it looks killer! I hope its all that and more :)

muziksculp 25th June 2016 09:00 PM

Hi,

I have pre-ordered a Goliath, and happy to know that they will be shipping soon.

Hopefully the drivers are solid, and they have been thoroughly tested for any operational bugs, or issues. I'm on Windows 8.1 , and will be connecting it via USB.

I love my Antelope Audio Pure 2 which I use as a monitoring D/A ., and most likely will use it with the Goliath.

Q. Is there a Loopback function in the Goliath (or is it possible to engage it via the Goliath Software Editor) ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

Clybourne 28th June 2016 12:21 AM

Now Shipping
 
Goliath is now shipping and in stock at Sweetwater and Vintage King

ElectricTommy 30th June 2016 05:13 AM

I guess I was lucky enough to receive the first Goliath. I have only had it a day, but I can make a few preliminary statements. First: support. The box was barely opened, when I got my first email from Antelope. (No exaggeration, it wasn't even plugged in when the "new email" chimed.) In 30+ years of professional digital audio, I have never experienced that before. I would have greatly appreciated such a response from so many of the mega-companies that I had spent 30x or more on their gear. Next, technology. This is a superb unit. We could stop at the I/O and be done with the review. But there is a lot more in this great product. Antelope has kicked the game up a few notches with this product. This unit will leave competitors scrambling (you all know who they are, and I have owned them for many years.) To be honest, an "in-depth" review isn't possible at this point, because I have had so little time with it. However, reflecting back upon so many years in digital audio, I can think of only a handful of game-changing products. This could easily be one of them. If you need great preamps (who doesn't?) If you need major I/O (who doesn't?) If you need stable clock (nah, I won't say that again.) Here's the bottom line...turn the unit around and look at the back panel. Then, go to your other favorites. See how they match up. (BTW, I paid sticker for this thing, so no disclaimer is necessary.) Wherever you find yourself in the music production "food chain," if you need an interface, (OK, I'll say it again, "Who doesn't?") This is your go-to guy. Hope this helps.

muziksculp 30th June 2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricTommy (Post 11991087)
I guess I was lucky enough to receive the first Goliath. I have only had it a day, but I can make a few preliminary statements. First: support. The box was barely opened, when I got my first email from Antelope. (No exaggeration, it wasn't even plugged in when the "new email" chimed.) In 30+ years of professional digital audio, I have never experienced that before. I would have greatly appreciated such a response from so many of the mega-companies that I had spent 30x or more on their gear. Next, technology. This is a superb unit. We could stop at the I/O and be done with the review. But there is a lot more in this great product. Antelope has kicked the game up a few notches with this product. This unit will leave competitors scrambling (you all know who they are, and I have owned them for many years.) To be honest, an "in-depth" review isn't possible at this point, because I have had so little time with it. However, reflecting back upon so many years in digital audio, I can think of only a handful of game-changing products. This could easily be one of them. If you need great preamps (who doesn't?) If you need major I/O (who doesn't?) If you need stable clock (nah, I won't say that again.) Here's the bottom line...turn the unit around and look at the back panel. Then, go to your other favorites. See how they match up. (BTW, I paid sticker for this thing, so no disclaimer is necessary.) Wherever you find yourself in the music production "food chain," if you need an interface, (OK, I'll say it again, "Who doesn't?") This is your go-to guy. Hope this helps.

Hi ElectricTommy,

Congratulations on your Antelope Audio Goliath kfhkh and Thanks for the positive info.

Oh .. what were the emails from Antelope Audio about ? were they support ? or Thank You ? were they sent to you after you registered the unit ?

Yes, the number, and formats of I/O, and the other features on this unit are Above First Class compared to everything else out there.

I should be receiving my Goliath this Friday, it will be solving major I/O limitations I had to live with, but that should be history once I get the studio hooked up to the Goliath.

Finally, Antelope Audio made what was a dream audio interface, that I thought no company is going to make. But this is now a reality, Goliath exists.

Many Thank to Antelope Audio for raising the bar once again !

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

12tone 30th June 2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricTommy (Post 11991087)
I guess I was lucky enough to receive the first Goliath. I have only had it a day, but I can make a few preliminary statements. First: support. The box was barely opened, when I got my first email from Antelope. (No exaggeration, it wasn't even plugged in when the "new email" chimed.) In 30+ years of professional digital audio, I have never experienced that before. I would have greatly appreciated such a response from so many of the mega-companies that I had spent 30x or more on their gear. Next, technology. This is a superb unit. We could stop at the I/O and be done with the review. But there is a lot more in this great product. Antelope has kicked the game up a few notches with this product. This unit will leave competitors scrambling (you all know who they are, and I have owned them for many years.) To be honest, an "in-depth" review isn't possible at this point, because I have had so little time with it. However, reflecting back upon so many years in digital audio, I can think of only a handful of game-changing products. This could easily be one of them. If you need great preamps (who doesn't?) If you need major I/O (who doesn't?) If you need stable clock (nah, I won't say that again.) Here's the bottom line...turn the unit around and look at the back panel. Then, go to your other favorites. See how they match up. (BTW, I paid sticker for this thing, so no disclaimer is necessary.) Wherever you find yourself in the music production "food chain," if you need an interface, (OK, I'll say it again, "Who doesn't?") This is your go-to guy. Hope this helps.

First post...hmm, pretty effusive.:lol:

Clybourne 30th June 2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 11991241)
Hi ElectricTommy,

Congratulations on your Antelope Audio Goliath kfhkh and Thanks for the positive info.

Oh .. what were the emails from Antelope Audio about ? were they support ? or Thank You ? were they sent to you after you registered the unit ?

Yes, the number, and formats of I/O, and the other features on this unit are Above First Class compared to everything else out there.

I should be receiving my Goliath this Friday, it will be solving major I/O limitations I had to live with, but that should be history once I get the studio hooked up to the Goliath.

Finally, Antelope Audio made what was a dream audio interface, that I thought no company is going to make. But this is now a reality, Goliath exists.

Many Thank to Antelope Audio for raising the bar once again !

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

You will get an email, as well, when you get yours. Tommy had some routing questions, but I wouldn't call anything we discussed as "support". We sent him a video about routing and I gave him a few tips. Then he was off to the races.

We are here to help our customers in anyway we can. Look forward to your comments, as well.

Marcel

Clybourne 30th June 2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12tone (Post 11991439)
First post...hmm, pretty effusive.:lol:

12tone up to your old cynical shenanigans again..

Tommy wrote the most amazing email report to us after a couple days with the Goliath that I asked him to share his thoughts, as he's customer #1 . He's owned about everything under the sun and truly out of the gate has fallen in love with the Goliath. He actually toned DOWN his comments in his public post.

I have zero doubt we'll be hearing from many others in short order. What's impressed me most about Goliath is the interest in it. We've sold out of our first two production runs.

12tone 30th June 2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne (Post 11991582)
12tone up to your old cynical shenanigans again..

Tommy wrote the most amazing email report to us after a couple days with the Goliath that I asked him to share his thoughts, as he's customer #1 . He's owned about everything under the sun and truly out of the gate has fallen in love with the Goliath. He actually toned DOWN his comments in his public post.

I have zero doubt we'll be hearing from many others in short order. What's impressed me most about Goliath is the interest in it. We've sold out of our first two production runs.

Hi Marcel,

First, the Goliath does look incredible...as always, my qualms with Antelope would never be about the features and innovations you guys put forth, it's consistently over the top and impressive in that regard, but at least from perusing this forum, with issues regarding driver/app support, multiple cases of dissatisfaction with CS and promises that go unfulfilled for long times.

I am still considering your Pure 2, as it has less worries about driver support, but I'm sorry, I still don't have the same confidence with your interfaces, and that's what raised flags about ElectricTommy's post, being obviously it was a new account with its initial post.

cynical - perhaps, that's debatable and subjective, but suspicious for sure. Your explanation does allay it somewhat...I don't think there's anything in this forum that precludes one from pointing out shills if one has suspicions. I'd think it's more about keeping it real if anything...

Clybourne 30th June 2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12tone (Post 11991631)
Hi Marcel,

First, the Goliath does look incredible...as always, my qualms with Antelope would never be about the features and innovations you guys put forth, it's consistently over the top and impressive in that regard, but at least from perusing this forum, with issues regarding driver/app support, multiple cases of dissatisfaction with CS and promises that go unfulfilled for long times.

I am still considering your Pure 2, as it has less worries about driver support, but I'm sorry, I still don't have the same confidence with your interfaces, and that's what raised flags about ElectricTommy's post, being obviously it was a new account with its initial post.

cynical - perhaps, that's debatable and subjective, but suspicious for sure. Your explanation does allay it somewhat...I don't think there's anything in this forum that precludes one from pointing out shills if one has suspicions. I'd think it's more about keeping it real if anything...

In the words of Sgt Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis. We're all in this together. One of these men may save your life one of these days, you understand that?"

But, for real, significant steps have been taken to continuously improve our customer service. I personally see nothing wrong with getting out ahead of possible questions by emailing our customers, as we did with Tommy and all our new customers now, to make sure they can easily reach us whenever they have questions.

I use 3x Pure2's in my own mastering room and I'm quite confident you'd like it too.

Christopher Ridley 1st July 2016 12:44 AM

12tone honestly mate... leave the discussion if you have nothing to add. Tired of wading through bull**** from people posting in Antelope threads that don't own anything from them. Lot of people trying to read reviews and get feedback on the products from owners. Not going to respond to you and no one else should either.

Really appreciate the initial feedback Tommy. Lots of us are strongly looking at the Goliath. Let us know what you think after you've had more time to go through it. Super interested int he onboard processing. Keep the feedback coming new owners. Thanks.

12tone 1st July 2016 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaeridley (Post 11992483)
12tone honestly mate... leave the discussion if you have nothing to add. Tired of wading through bull**** from people posting in Antelope threads that don't own anything from them. Lot of people trying to read reviews and get feedback on the products from owners. Not going to respond to you and no one else should either.

You're right man...my bad.

It's not very becoming on my part, bad/poor judgement as well. Apologies...

ElectricTommy 1st July 2016 02:18 AM

I appreciated hearing from 12tone, and the other posters. As to the question about "support," Marcel's reply is correct. They contacted me first! That's crazy! There was no problem, it was just a question about the logistics of their patchbay software. I grew up with hard-wired TT patch bays, so I had to ask a simple (or "simpleton's") question about their digital version. I wouldn't have even bothered them with it, but since I already "had them on the line..." You'll not be disappointed with the Goliath. I/O limitations are really fading into history. And here's one REALLY important feature: multiple units can be ganged together will FULL use of I/O count, both analog and digital. I can assure you from personal experience with other MAJOR manufacturers, that is NOT the case, currently. Some can't be aggregated at all in Nuendo7/PT12, and others can only use parts of the I/O. That's a big deal, in my opinion. Downsides? None, so far. (OK, a MIDI I/O would be icing on the cake, but I'm not barking about it.) I have a feeling these guys are going to ramp up their software efforts in the future, which will add even more value to this package. We've really reached a golden age in audio where anything is possible. When I started digital editing in the '80s, the edits were DESTRUCTIVE. If you screwed up, you had to reload, in REAL time, and re-do the edit. Even something as simple as a fade. Only 4 tracks of 16bit/44 could be sent to a SCSI drive at a time. And stuff was EXPENSIVE then. The cost per channel of I/O has fallen dramatically, and the quality has skyrocketed.This is the sweet spot for the Goliath. You're not going to find better conversion at any price. "Sound quality" is superb in all respects. It has a VERY smooth character. Much closer to high-end analog than most of the other great units out there. I'm not bashing any of the big names. We all use them, they all are great products. I just really like this Goliath so far, and am looking forward to using it a lot more. I hope y'all will be as happy as I am with it! Best wishes! ET

Clybourne 2nd July 2016 02:25 AM

2011 iMac and MacBook Pro
 
(edited) The 2011 mac issue was due to users with a non-certified TB cable. Only use cables with the Thunderbolt name on it.

muziksculp 2nd July 2016 02:53 AM

Hi,

I just received my Goliath this morning, I will be setting it up in the studio on Wednesday next week.

I'm using a PC, so I will be connecting it via USB2. Although my PC has USB3 port, I was informed that Goliath uses USB2. My PC does not have Thunderbolt.

Q. Any specific reason why Goliath was not equipped with USB3 instead of USB2 ?

(Although I'm sure USB2 should offer enough bandwidth to handle all the audio data needed for the I/O).

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

ORyan87 2nd July 2016 03:44 AM

wow, this could be the interface to end all as far as limitations......kfhkh

Deleted efff87a 2nd July 2016 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne (Post 11994387)
So far, these 5 year old macs with the early Thunderbolt ports aren't working with Goliath. Everyone else is fine on new or more recent macs.

Goliath is a 64 Channel Thunderbolt interface with very low latencies and so far for some reason, those 2011 machines just aren't liking it.

Any guesses as to why 2011 MBP's aren't getting on well with the Goliath? My main Mac is a 2011 MBP so this is good to know before dropping $$ on the new Goliath. On a positive note, my Zen is working good... ;-)

Clybourne 2nd July 2016 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 11994420)
Hi,

I just received my Goliath this morning, I will be setting it up in the studio on Wednesday next week.

I'm using a PC, so I will be connecting it via USB2. Although my PC has USB3 port, I was informed that Goliath uses USB2. My PC does not have Thunderbolt.

Q. Any specific reason why Goliath was not equipped with USB3 instead of USB2 ?

(Although I'm sure USB2 should offer enough bandwidth to handle all the audio data needed for the I/O).

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

Even if your PC had Thunderbolt, we found out that the latency wouldn't be improved upon over where our USB2 is already. USB3 would be better, however we build customer circuits for our interfaces and we weren't ready to move onto USB3 yet.

You may need a call to Support to walk you through a couple things, but you should be fine.

Clybourne 2nd July 2016 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deleted efff87a (Post 11994501)
Any guesses as to why 2011 MBP's aren't getting on well with the Goliath? My main Mac is a 2011 MBP so this is good to know before dropping $$ on the new Goliath. On a positive note, my Zen is working good... ;-)

It turns out the users with 2011 Mac issues had non-branded TB cables that weren't Thunderbolt certified. ONLY use official cables guys. Thunderbolt is a trademark of Apple/Intel and they test and certify everything with that name before it can be sold..

I'd rather give you a heads up, at this point. I can say the other customers are so impressed with the sound and features, they're getting new Macs, btw.

Marcel

muziksculp 2nd July 2016 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne (Post 11994505)
Even if your PC had Thunderbolt, we found out that the latency wouldn't be improved upon over where our USB2 is already. USB3 would be better, however we build customer circuits for our interfaces and we weren't ready to move onto USB3 yet.

You may need a call to Support to walk you through a couple things, but you should be fine.

Hi Clybourne,

My PC has both USB3 and USB2 Ports, so I don't expect any issues.

I was just curious why they didn't implement USB3 on the Goliath, and you answered my question, as long as USB2 can deliver the data flow for the multiple I/O's on the Goliath, then that should be good enough.

Thanks,
Muziksculp yingyang

Deleted efff87a 2nd July 2016 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne (Post 11994510)
I don't know yet, but I'll keep you posted. We had some challenges with 2011 macs with Orion Studio, but El Capitan solved those in nearly all cases. Probably the jump to 64 channels using more bandwidth is pushing the 2011 machines too far, but we need more examples before we can officially say that.

I'd rather give you a heads up, at this point. I can say the other customers are so impressed with the sound and features, they're getting new Macs, btw.

Marcel

Funny about people grabbing new Macs to accommodate the Goliath. A new MBP is definitely on my radar but I'm hoping to be able to hold off on that until the upcoming macOS has made a stable changeover to the new Apple File System (APFS) that's reportedly coming out in 2017 (and hopefully the upcoming MBP refresh includes more than 16GB of ram as well). It never ends really... ;-)

Also per the Goliath's USB connectivity...Is there still a 24 track cap on bandwidth (like the Zen Studio)?

Thanks for the info. Please post more about this if/when there is some sort of solution concerning these 2011 MBP's. My 2011 MBP is running El Capitan like a champ but hardware-wise I'm maxed out with 16GB ram and a big SATA III SSD. Trying to consider my options here... :-)

Clybourne 2nd July 2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauvehead (Post 11994580)
Funny about people grabbing new Macs to accommodate the Goliath. A new MBP is definitely on my radar but I'm hoping to be able to hold off on that until the upcoming macOS has made a stable changeover to the new Apple File System (APFS) that's reportedly coming out in 2017 (and hopefully the upcoming MBP refresh includes more than 16GB of ram as well). It never ends really... ;-)

Thanks for the info. Please post more about this if/when there is some sort of solution concerning these 2011 MBP's. My 2011 MBP is running El Capitan like a champ but hardware-wise I'm maxed out with 16GB ram and a big SATA III SSD. Trying to consider my options here... :-)

You're right, it truly does "never end". I've done computer audio recording for nearly 20 years now and I've seen this moving target of "progress" taking place constantly.

Btw, it doesn't have to be a brand new Mac, I'm testing both Goliath and Zen Tour myself on an early 2013 MacBook Pro. Apple tested several machines, as did our own QA team. But, going back 5 years and having an issue doesn't surprise me on such an advanced interface. But, I will say I do understand why people still have those machines. It's really a testament to how well Apples hold up over time, I suppose.

My own 2 cents about the sound of Goliath, as I'm just NOW getting some extended time to play with one of them. I'm frankly astonished and I have heard every interface we've made quite extensively. This one is really off the charts. I know how my voice sounds when recording and I just plugged in a Soundelux U195 right into a Goliath Preamp and instantly had a very solid "keeper" vocal sound. I then added a Pultec-style VEQ-1A and the BAE 1073 EQ via the AFX path and had no latency (comb filtering in my head) stuff going on and center image was really as tight as hardware. I could hit bypass while talking and other than a little click when I switched the EQ's in and out, there was no change at all. Completely realtime.

That's the end of my own opinion stuff. We've sold out the first two runs and won't have more units till later in July, so I'm not saying any of this to sell any more of these right now. I just felt like weighing in since I still have one of the first units.

Those of you that have them on the way to you, get up here soon and let folks know about your first impressions, even if you don't yet have your "full reviews", you can always add more later. And if you get stuck, I'll be taking time out over the Holiday Weekend to keep an eye out for anyone just opening the box.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Good sound makes me get a bit chatty.. :-)
Marcel

Deleted efff87a 2nd July 2016 07:00 AM

Thanks again for the quick info. I later added (via post edit) another question that you must've missed (I should've just made a new post instead of throwing another question into a previous post...You were too quick on the draw for me to keep up with Marcel...jummpp kfhkh):

Per the Goliath's USB connectivity...Is there still a 24 track cap on bandwidth (like the Zen Studio)?

Thanks again!

Todd

Clybourne 2nd July 2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauvehead (Post 11994641)
Thanks again for the quick info. I later added (via post edit) another question that you must've missed (I should've just made a new post instead of throwing another question into a previous post...You were too quick on the draw for me to keep up with Marcel...jummpp kfhkh):

Per the Goliath's USB connectivity...Is there still a 24 track cap on bandwidth (like the Zen Studio)?

Thanks again!

Todd

This unit is like Orion32+, which has a selection between 32 and 24 channel modes via USB.

geoffrey.chen 2nd July 2016 06:11 PM

I ordered a Goliath few days ago, but a bit worry about compatibility , I'm using a mid 2012 MBP as my main system with El Captain 10.11.4, will it be ok ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne (Post 11994387)
So far, these 5 year old macs with the early Thunderbolt ports aren't working with Goliath. Everyone else is fine on new or more recent macs.

Goliath is a 64 Channel Thunderbolt interface with very low latencies and so far for some reason, those 2011 machines just aren't liking it.


Clybourne 2nd July 2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoffrey.chen (Post 11995280)
I ordered a Goliath few days ago, but a bit worry about compatibility , I'm using a mid 2012 MBP as my main system with El Captain 10.11.4, will it be ok ?

You might need to go to 10.11.5 (latest El Cap), but from what I've seen, 2011 macs differ from everything after.

We're here for you if you have any issues to do everything we can. And, the 2011 story is not the "final answer" just yet. We'll need to see what our developers find out about those macs and our new interface first.

Thanks for your purchase!

Marcel

Deleted efff87a 4th July 2016 07:06 PM

Marcel...

Does the Goliath Control Panel software have a resizable window to make things easier to see on smallish laptop/monitor screens? Still waiting on that for the Zen Studio's Control Panel... ;-)