Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Comparing Amek stuff (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1077538-comparing-amek-stuff.html)

heysimo 31st March 2016 01:59 PM

Comparing Amek stuff

Hi,

I am giving some thoughts about Amek stuff; only good words going on about them.
I won't be able to compare these pres directly,so I'm seeking opinions !

-Amek Cib
-Amek 9098 (stereo pre eq)
-Amek m1000 (racked pre eq)

Share your thoughts! Thanks

Motoxxx 1st April 2016 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heysimo (Post 11808029)
Hi,

I am giving some thoughts about Amek stuff; only good words going on about them.
I won't be able to compare these pres directly,so I'm seeking opinions !

-Amek Cib
-Amek 9098 (stereo pre eq)
-Amek m1000 (racked pre eq)

Share your thoughts! Thanks

Pretty much anything Amek is really good. I would say above average. I have a Recall 56RN loaded with Neve modules which are nearly identical to the 9098 pres and EQs. Such a fantastic sounding desk!

paraudio 1st April 2016 03:22 AM

i have the 9098 stereo preamp and stereo compressor, they are both clean and fast, and deadly quiet, I also have the amek cib and it is also deadl quiet. it has a sweet color but still manages to be quiet, I love both and wont get rid of any of them, the eq is great in the cib, and the compressor in the cib is functional as well, cant go wrong with any of these two, u don't hear a ton about these two cause they are transparent and they don't get a ton of fanfare

africantigercow 1st April 2016 10:01 AM

Cib is one of my favourite eq's.

Competes with everything I own in its own way (great river eqnv, massive passive, lil freq)

I just find it kind of dependable for utility tasks.

Don't use the pres or compressor section much but I occasionally throw one in a rack for use on lead vox at live gigs and it crushes anythin I've heard in a live desk.

Really really incredible filters

Joao B. 1st April 2016 12:52 PM

We have a M1000 desk full of Sowter transformers. Really good sounding mic preamps!

Sombrerogrande 1st April 2016 03:05 PM

CIBs

I have 2 CIBs, one of the best audio purchases I 've made. Keep in mind that mic and line are separate and can be used separately and can be routed to EQ or Comp, so you have 2 discrete channels with separate outputs. Great unit

Samc 1st April 2016 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx (Post 11809408)
I have a Recall 56RN loaded with Neve modules which are nearly identical to the 9098 pres and EQs. Such a fantastic sounding desk!

I've used both of these consoles (many times) and have a very different memory of the recall...they didn't last very long for a reason.

Motoxxx 1st April 2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samc (Post 11810528)
I've used both of these consoles (many times) and have a very different memory of the recall...they didn't last very long for a reason.

Care to elaborate on that Sam?

andychamp 1st April 2016 04:25 PM

The CIB is one of the most used pieces at our place, total utility workhorse.
If I had the cash, I'd buy the one that's for sale in my vicinity right now.

Samc 1st April 2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx (Post 11810671)
Care to elaborate on that Sam?

Don't want to derail the thread but I (and other live mixers) didn't really think there was anything special about the sound of console and I especially didn't like the virtual dynamics. It did not sound like a classic Neve and it certainly didn't sound like a 9098 to me.

Although everybody jumped on it when it first came out because of the Neve designed Mic pre and EQ which is all people talk about with this console, and the facilities it offered, but I remember some reliability issues and it disappeared off the live sound circuit in a hurry. It did not have 9098 pre-amps as some people were claiming, the pre-amps were similar to one of their other boards and was as plain as vanilla. If you want to go deeper we should start a new thread.

Motoxxx 1st April 2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samc (Post 11811008)
Don't want to derail the thread but I (and other live mixers) didn't really think there was anything special about the sound of console and I especially didn't like the virtual dynamics. It did not sound like a classic Neve and it certainly didn't sound like a 9098 to me.

Although everybody jumped on it when it first came out because of the Neve designed Mic pre and EQ which is all people talk about with this console, and the facilities it offered, but I remember some reliability issues and it disappeared off the live sound circuit in a hurry. It did not have 9098 pre-amps as some people were claiming, the pre-amps were similar to one of their other boards and was as plain as vanilla. If you want to go deeper we should start a new thread.

Thanks for elaborating. We won't derail this thread. However the 9098 is very similar to the Recalls RN modules (not the RL) according to Dave Rochester who worked at Amek for 10 years and continues to service these desks.

The CIB and 9098 rack mount units still sell for about $1000 each on Ebay so that says a lot about holding their value and what the market thinks of them.

TonyS 1st April 2016 10:58 PM

How are the RL 1 modules? I was looking at a couple of racked ones.

Motoxxx 2nd April 2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyS (Post 11811611)
How are the RL 1 modules? I was looking at a couple of racked ones.

They are OK but the EQ is more limited and the mic pre is not switched with a trim pot like the RN modules are. I have two of the RL1 modules with my desk that I picked up to use as spares. Have never needed them.

I know of a guy that has 2 of the Recalls in a studio and he told me he actually prefers the RL1 modules to the RNs. I don't like them as well but he does

TonyS 2nd April 2016 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx (Post 11811830)
They are OK but the EQ is more limited and the mic pre is not switched with a trim pot like the RN modules are. I have two of the RL1 modules with my desk that I picked up to use as spares. Have never needed them.

I know of a guy that has 2 of the Recalls in a studio and he told me he actually prefers the RL1 modules to the RNs. I don't like them as well but he does

Thanks for the feedback!

Musiclab 2nd April 2016 04:13 PM

I have 1 CIB and 3 9098 eq's. The eq's on either box are unbelievably versatile. I'd like to own at least 1 more 9098 and 1 more CIB. My main use for the CIB is in the mix I use it on the snare drum. The MM button is magic for the snare with that compressor. I just wish it was easy to switch the order of the compressor and eq on the CIB.

oscardvine 23rd May 2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musiclab (Post 11812870)
I have 1 CIB and 3 9098 eq's. The eq's on either box are unbelievably versatile. I'd like to own at least 1 more 9098 and 1 more CIB. My main use for the CIB is in the mix I use it on the snare drum. The MM button is magic for the snare with that compressor. I just wish it was easy to switch the order of the compressor and eq on the CIB.

It is very easy to swith the order of the eq/compressor. if you want the comp before eq, just take an xlr-cable from "Mic-out > Line In". Then you just click the little buttons on the front that says "line". and now you have the comp before the eq ;)

This way you can even choose if you want to have the filters before the comp, or before the eq.

This is why the CIB just rocks, not only in sound, but in tweakability as well.

Musiclab 23rd May 2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscardvine (Post 13332924)
It is very easy to swith the order of the eq/compressor. if you want the comp before eq, just take an xlr-cable from "Mic-out > Line In". Then you just click the little buttons on the front that says "line". and now you have the comp before the eq ;)

This way you can even choose if you want to have the filters before the comp, or before the eq.

This is why the CIB just rocks, not only in sound, but in tweakability as well.

I'm a little confused, I rarely use the mic pre I have lot's I like better, not that there's anything wrong with it. So I'm always patched into the line in, how does that path change in the way you describe? I'm looking at the CIB manual and I'm not seeing that. I heard that there are some internal jumpers that can be switched to change the path

BIG BUDDHA 24th May 2018 09:22 AM

i track every day through an AMEK-9098 Eq. i love the hi fi, and detail of it.

every day, every sound, as it is in my main vocal chain.

the filters are good, its rearly clean and i doubt i will ever sell it

Ruepert got it right on that baby. just an opinion.

Buddha

deedeeyeah 24th May 2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA (Post 13334572)
i track every day through an AMEK-9098 Eq. i love the hi fi, and detail of it.

every day, every sound, as it is in my main vocal chain.

the filters are good, its rearly clean and i doubt i will ever sell it

Ruepert got it right on that baby. just an opinion.

Buddha

get to work with 9098 sometimes, have amek cib (and grace design m103) - all worth owning!

andychamp 24th May 2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musiclab (Post 13333339)
I'm a little confused, I rarely use the mic pre I have lot's I like better, not that there's anything wrong with it. So I'm always patched into the line in, how does that path change in the way you describe? I'm looking at the CIB manual and I'm not seeing that. I heard that there are some internal jumpers that can be switched to change the path

The mic path can take line levels, too (manual page 14), so you could go
External preamp > CIB mic path with compression > XLR cable > CIB line parh with EQ.
As to the jumpers, let me refer you to manual pages 15 and 22.

Musiclab 24th May 2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andychamp (Post 13334639)
The mic path can take line levels, too (manual page 14), so you could go
External preamp > CIB mic path with compression > XLR cable > CIB line parh with EQ.
As to the jumpers, let me refer you to manual pages 15 and 22.

Ah I see gotcha! thanks